Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,936 members, 7,799,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

A Review Of "Zikora" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Review Of "Zikora" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (587 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Vs Arthur Eze: A Documentary By Chimamanda / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Review Of "Zikora" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Divepen1(m): 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2020
In a time when more men are becoming better at taking responsibility for their family and actions, Zikora is a reminder that we’re not done just yet.
You might have read numerous perspectives to the wonderful piece careful served by the awesome Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. And I can tell you: it is their opinions.
Until you read it, you can barely form your own opinion about the story.
It started in the labour room and ended when the baby was calm in her grandmother’s arms. The period between these short periods, however, took us on a journey of more events. Through Zikora’s eyes, we came to realise the trauma faced by women rejected by their fiancés or boyfriends. Oh! And women, whose husband are not caring enough to deal with what they’ve done. Like one of her friends said, ‘Some of us have men and are still doing it alone’.
It wasn’t directed at pregnant women alone. We understood the trauma of women whose husband decided they need a “second” or “other” wife.
Briefly, she touched how some men know nothing about how a woman feels… Or should it be that it showed how men can be stupid when ‘sex’ is involved because it bemuses me to know that some men don’t expect pregnancy when none of them uses protection? While it is true that some men are still suffering from the problems caused by their ancestors, some others are not doing enough. The stone age genes are still alive in many of them.
Kwame, the fiancé is an African, who lives in a civilised world and would have known better but it’s just one problem found everywhere.
I think Zikora’s son resting in her grandmother’s arm indicates that the future is bright. Boys are being born into the arms of women who understand this pain and will guide the steps of these boys.

https://writertainpublishers.com/?p=2751

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of "Zikora" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by germaphobe(m): 5:08pm On Nov 02, 2020
shocked i'm yet to read it, but have listened to some negative vipes about it. I don't know if i might be making a big request but can i get the pdf?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Review Of "Zikora" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Onalow: 5:12pm On Nov 02, 2020
I see the book sparking up conversations around these issues of abortion, parental responsibility, mother-daughter relationship, among others.

I like Adichie for always addressing social issues in her works... For Zikora, I wish the story was longer.

Nice review anyway. Do note that Zikora had a son who rested calmly on the arms of HIS grandmother.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Shey He No Dey Tire You — Ayomide Inufin D'great / Sweeter Than Honey / My Neighbors Daughters (Episode 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.