Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,240 members, 7,780,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:02 PM

U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat (24933 Views)

U.S Supreme Court Allows The Release Of Trump's Tax Returns / Despite Trump's Refusal To Concede Defeat, Biden Names Chief Of Staff / Khamenei Defiant After Trump Threat, Says 'you Can't Do Anything' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2020
While President Donald Trump has promised to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to weigh in on a presidential race that is still too close to call, the nation’s top judicial body may not be the final arbiter in this election, legal experts said.

Election law experts said it is doubtful that courts would entertain a bid by Trump to stop the counting of ballots that were received before or on Election Day, or that any dispute a court might handle would change the trajectory of the race in closely fought states like Michigan and Pennsylvania.

With vote-counting still underway in many states in the early hours of Wednesday morning, Trump made an appearance at the White House and declared victory against Democratic challenger Joe Biden.

“This is a major fraud on our nation. We want the law to be used in a proper manner. So we’ll be going to the U.S. Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop,” he said.

The Republican president did not provide any evidence to back up his claim of fraud or detail what litigation he would pursue at the Supreme Court.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the election still hung in the balance. A handful of closely contested states could decide the outcome in the coming hours or days, as a large number of mail-in ballots cast amid the coronavirus pandemic appears to have drawn out the process.

However, legal experts said that while there could be objections to particular ballots or voting and counting procedures, it was unclear if such disputes would determine the final outcome.

Ned Foley, an election law expert at Ohio State University, said on Twitter that the Supreme Court “would be involved only if there were votes of questionable validity that would make a difference, which might not be the case.”

Both Republicans and Democrats have amassed armies of lawyers ready to go to the mat in a close race. Biden’s team includes Marc Elias, a top election attorney at the firm Perkins Coie, and former Solicitors General Donald Verrilli and Walter Dellinger. Trump’s lawyers include Matt Morgan, the president’s campaign general counsel, Supreme Court litigator William Consovoy, and Justin Clark, senior counsel to the campaign.

Benjamin Ginsberg, a longtime Republican election lawyer, said on CNN that any attempt to toss out legally cast votes would likely “be viewed by any court including the Supreme Court as just a massive disenfranchisement that would be frowned upon.” Ginsberg represented George W. Bush’s presidential campaign in 2000 when the Supreme Court ended a recount in Bush’s favor against Democrat Al Gore.

Trump attorney Jenna Ellis on Wednesday defended Trump’s bid to challenge the vote count and evaluate his legal options. “If we have to go through these legal challenges, that’s not unprecedented,” Ellis told Fox Business Network in an interview. “He wants to make sure that the election is not stolen.”

Bringing a case to federal court immediately was one possibility, she added, without giving further details. “We have all legal options on the table.”

The case closest to being resolved by the Supreme Court is an appeal currently pending before the justices in which Republicans are challenging a September ruling by Pennsylvania’s top court allowing mail-in ballots that were postmarked by Election Day and received up to three days later to be counted.

The Supreme Court previously declined to fast-track an appeal by Republicans. But three conservative justices left open the possibility of taking up the case again after Election Day.

Even if the court were to take up the case and rule for Republicans, it may not determine the final vote in Pennsylvania, as the case only concerns mail-in ballots received after Nov. 3.

In a separate Pennsylvania case filed in federal court in Philadelphia, Republicans have accused officials in suburban Montgomery County of illegally counting mail-in ballots early and also giving voters who submitted defective ballots a chance to re-vote.

If Biden secures 270 electoral votes without needing Pennsylvania, the likelihood of a legal fight in that state diminishes in any case, legal experts said.

And any challenge would also need to make its way through the usual court hierarchy.

“I think the Court would summarily turn away any effort by the President or his campaign to short-circuit the ordinary legal process,” said Steve Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

“Even Bush v. Gore went through the Florida state courts first.”

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-supreme-court/u-s-supreme-court-may-not-have-final-say-in-presidential-election-despite-trump-threat-idUSKBN27K2JK

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by DenreleDave(m): 9:28pm On Nov 04, 2020
undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Righteousness89(m): 9:33pm On Nov 04, 2020
GOD Bless President Donald John Trump!

Many are so blind to see and know what is playing out!
They are not after Trump!
They are after you!
They are after the little Freedom you feel you have..
The Antichrist and his Foot Soldiers are so Desperately desperate to Come in..
Trump has Fought an Extraordinary good Fight as a Human being..

There is No More Time!!
There is No More time!!!
There is No More time!!!
Humble yourself before GOD and Accept JESUS Christ..

Repent and Accept JESUS Christ Now!!

92 Likes 17 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by iamyemiakins(m): 11:17pm On Nov 04, 2020
No matter the outcome of the election results, Donald Trump will always be remembered as one of the best presidents in the history of USA.

They might not realize that now, but it will be clear to the Americans and the world at large as time goes on.

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by iamyemiakins(m): 11:53pm On Nov 04, 2020
I just hope Biden won't end being another Buhari in USA.

Donald Trump will always be remembered as a real niggarrrr

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by KINGJAJA888(m): 8:17am On Nov 05, 2020
Righteousness89:

They are after you!
They are after the little s Freedom you feel you have
The Antichrist and his Foot Soldiers are so desperate to Come in..

There is No More Time!!
There is No More time!!!

U are such a Stupid demented fellow.

I thought as a prophet ur God will show u the outcome of the U.s. election But No cheesy. There u were Supporting trump the loser Candidate.

Biden for the win cheesy. This goes to show dat that dis demented fellow is only going through a Psychiatric phase nd should not be paid any single attention .
IF he's God was real as he has always Claimed then he should have shown him the winner of the election since last week. But No. There he was predicting the outcome wrongly like a bet9ja prophet cheesy.
*Modified:*
Someone should ask for my account details nah. cheesy At least for telling this mumu Righteousness the truth.

157 Likes 28 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by datola: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2020
This election he
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nelly4you: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2020
hmmm alright

1 Like

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Pabloosas(m): 8:17am On Nov 05, 2020
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Hambivert: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2020
Sparogatively, analysing the US elections is not something I'm proud of doing when my own country has totally tilted towards the failed zone category. A green and white country that seems to be practicing democaracy in a military cantonment. What a shame!

However, I must insist that Donald Trump is like a trump card! Those thinking he has lost already shouldn't start celebrating yet.

Anyways Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

My Preferred candidate to win
Well, I belong to everybody but I am for nobody!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by omodaamola: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2020

“This is a major fraud on our nation. We want the law to be used in a proper manner. So we’ll be going to the U.S. Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop,”

It is finished! The highest vote count wins wink

Meanwhile, Forex profitable foundation is in section, the first 20 people enjoy a discount.
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by 900warriorz: 8:18am On Nov 05, 2020
Trumpet grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by MARKABBEY: 8:18am On Nov 05, 2020
Trump, my guyyy
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 05, 2020
To those who see the US as a perfect country when it comes to doing things, I hope you can now see that these people aren't so different from us. Unwillingness to hand over power, corruption, vote buying and other forms of rigging etc. The only thing they know how to do almost perfectly is hiding these rots from the world.

There is nothing so special about the US Afterall

52 Likes 11 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by upower123(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
we done hear
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Maxymilliano(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
cool

Trump’s attorneys on their way to litigate his cases in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan

18 Likes

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
angry
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by tommykiwi(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
Good! Trump is a Gunner! All hail the new president of the United States of America.... Joe Biden.

9 Likes

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by cynthia9: 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
Righteousness89:

They are after you!
They are after the little s Freedom you feel you have
The Antichrist and his Foot Soldiers are so desperate to Come in..

There is No More Time!!
There is No More time!!!

Shut up

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
Donald Trump' is going down ! going down !! going down!!!

Biafra is going down ! going down

who sabi that hymn?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Shortyy(f): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2020
Na wa. Election for how many days now
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Ejlove4u(m): 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
what's my business.. looking for my daily bread that's what matters to me now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
I love Trump but he appears to be a bully.
He is the first candidate in America, that I know, to dispute the ballot figures and approach the court in recent years.
The way he lost is painful, but he should know that it pained Hillary Clinton more in 2016, having been the favourite in the run-up to the elections.

BTW, USA is far better than Nigeria. There has been no report of any killings after election results like we had in 2011, and the affected candidate never condemned the killings till date.

Some political figures (I chose my word, they are not leaders) are certainly bad losers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by dayleke: 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
Delusional one
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Mekudi: 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
I'm sure some bloggers would have searching for a throwback video or prophecy where our bet9ja pastor's predicted Trump losing re-election or warning Trump to fast and pray for 40days so as not to lose re-election grin

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by shegzhkn: 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
He will be super humiliated, i wonder if he is gonna come for biden inauguration.

But there is still much for us to worry about.
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Judolisco(m): 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
America don turn naija dead people are voting through mail voting.... Inec don open branch for Yankee no cap... If not for covid19 trump would have won

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
H
Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by MARKABBEY: 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
KINGJAJA888:
U are such a Stupid demented fellow.

I thought as a prophet ur God will show u the outcome of the U.s. election But No cheesy. There u were Supporting trump the loser Candidate.

Biden for the win cheesy. This goes to show dat that dis demented fellow is only going through a Psychiatric phase nd should not be paid any single attention .
IF he's God was real as he has always Claimed then he should have shown him the winner of the election since last week. But No. There he was predicting the outcome wrongly like a bet9ja prophet cheesy.

STFU

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Supreme Court May Not Have Final Say In Election, Despite Trump Threat by jaxxy(m): 8:20am On Nov 05, 2020
CNN are deluded.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Libya An Africa Or Arab Country? / Story Of Gnassingbe Eyadema, The Dictator Whose Family Ruled Togo For 50 Years / Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.