Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It (31224 Views)

What Is The Logic Behind ''ingli-igbo'' Names? / Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
Gregyboy give it a break pls. Your absurdities and illogicalities give u out under the veil of every monikers you keep creating just to propagate mumuism. grin grin

Go sleep one place abeg. You be confirm olodo.

If you were benins using this insultive words on yorubas i will get a banned by a yoruba mod

I can only say yorubas are coward
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
Folks here is another Benin liar spotted.

He changes is moniker whenever I smack his head against the wall.

His two monikers yesterday was @bandit, he deleted them when the disgrace was unbearable.

He is about to tell as how a professor of linguistic actually knows nothing about linguistics.

He is deluded. He is from Benin.

No hiding place for Benin liars.
We know him already grin grin He deceives no one but himself. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2020
Just to clarify: there is no such thing as etymology for west african languages.
Etymologie is the history of the written word, and the latter is a thing we didn't have until very recently.
So there is no such thing as yoruba, Edo, igbo etymology ... Any paper claiming otherwise is a fraud.

Anybody using etymology arguments is lying to your faces.
Also, anybody using as argument: "what does that word mean in your language" is also either intellectualy deficient, either he is a concious liar.
Our native dictionnaries are just as new as our written words.

Let A be a word in our current dictionnary. Let B be the meaning we give to A today. Let C be the meaning our ancestors gave to A.
There is no proof that B=C.

Also, claims of missplellings in precolonial texts are quite illogical. Indeed may I remind you we didn't have a written language ? Our words and names didn't have spellings. So the various spellings emanating from various europeans speaking various languages are not missplellings.

I can give you details of the first ooni of ife who changed his title from the format: "ooni of ife, sir adesoji" to the format "ooni of ife, oba adesoji"
@areafada @samuk @gregyboy

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
This particular one is not gregyboy tho.

This particular one is a certain @prolog.

He was around yesterday under a different moniker —@bandit.

He was forced to delete the two accounts. I have forced him to delete over 6 of his accounts on Nairaland.

He will soon start attaching maps, and videos of. Skin bronzes when I hit him in the balls where it hurts. I will attach his picture shortly.

————————

He is rattled and restless that the word “Oba” can not be analyzed in Bini language; nor does it have a literal significance in Bini language.

I understand:- the whole world of lies built with falsehood are falling apart like pack of cards.

They must be disgruntled.
OK grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 28, 2020
The first ooni of ife to adopt the "oba" title in the format of his name was adesoji aderemi. All the other yoruba chiefs copied him.
@areafada2 @samuk @gregyboy @valirex

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 2:34pm On Nov 28, 2020
So far in the course of this thread, the following retar.ded claims have been devastatingly debunked:

(1) The retar.ded claim (by disgruntled Binis) that Yorubas began using the word “Oba” in the post-1930s.

This has been debunked with written evidence of Yoruba usage from 1899, from 1897, from c.1867, from 1845, et al.

(2) The retar.ded claim (by @samuk) that there exists some “600 years” old written evidence of Benin usage of the word “Oba”.

This retar.ded claim is yet to be substantiated (even with an atom of evidence) despite more than 10 days (and still counting) of their torturous search. cheesy

Instead, these disgruntled Binis were at best only able to demonstrate (from their own warped logic) that the Yorubas have an earlier written evidence — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1867 (Bini).

——————————————————
But what does it really mean that I was able to produce an 1845 written evidence and the Binis weren’t able to come even close to that ??

Well, it just simply means that the Binis weren’t able to come close to the Yorubas, despite their own bogus claim of wRiTteN eViDeNcE. Nothing more, nothing less! [I know I’m being too nice now]. grin

To put the same question in other words:
Does the comparative written evidence already provided really mean that the Binis began using this word only in the year 1867 — because that’s all they could provide ??

Funny enough, this line of warped reasoning is what the disgruntled Binis have been trailing. Should I play their game along with them? No, I’m Yoruba! cool

To every sound and logically mind, such conclusion (based on available writing) is too obvious as a flawed reasoning and logical fallacy — even though I could have forced their own flawed reasoning down their throats.

Such particular logical fallacy is know in analytical logic specifically by the name: argumentum ex silentio.
grin

————————————————————
Having debunked their deluded claim of 1930s [see (1)]; having exposed @samuk’s fraud of “600 years” old writing [see (2)]; having exposed their inability to produce anything close to (let alone earlier than) the Yorubas’ [see (2)]; having debunked their warped logic of arguing from earlier written usage (despite the fact that it favours me); I now turn, at this point, to discussing the actual objective evidence for determining the indigenous ownership of a word — that is, the linguistic evidence.

——————————————————————
The Argument:
(I) If a word is in use in a particular language, but its literal meaning can not be meaningfully analyzed within that language; then such word does not originally belong to that language. Gbam!

(II) The word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not have any literal meaning in the language of the Binis.

(III) In conclusion, the word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not belong originally to the Bini language — In other words, it is a loanword.

————————————————————
The Evidence:
An objective source of evidence for the meanings of Bini words is obviously and undoubtedly an authoritative dictionary of the Bini language itself.

[This is not to be confused with a dictionary of the English language which simply features a paltry number of non-English words of widespread, global, popular usage — such as: “fufu”, “agbada”, “oba”, et al.]

As such, recourse will now be made to a Bini-English Lexicon. This is so that the English readers here can access the written meanings which are attributed to the actual Bini words.

One such example of an authoritative material for this purpose is the work entitled: “A Concise Dictionary of The Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” compiled by the professor of African Phonetics and Linguistics, Hans Melzian.

———————————————————
Under the entry “Ọba” (for which Professor Melzian used “ɔ” to represent “ọ“, in order to distinguish /o/ as in odd smiley from /o/ as in old sad ); the following are some interesting observations from this Bini dictionary.

(A) Unlike what the author did with virtually all other Bini words within the same dictionary, he did not give a literal meaning to this word — as I have expected. cheesy

Rather, he simply describes the person whom the Binis refer to by this word. Interesting, isn’t it?! cheesy See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754901_bb7fcaad09fc479498aedbb24cb57370_jpeg_jpeg80dbd02cb7ce1db81e998db7e161c38e

(B) But more than that, the author (in fact) let the cat out of the bag. He revealed why this word could not have had a literal meaning in a dictionary of Bini language.

Before I reveal his reason, it is important that one is acquainted with a few notations and abbreviations which he define in his work.

Two examples of these are relevant to my discourse here, and they are: “Yor.” and “cf.” which he defines as: “Yoruba” and “etymological reference” respectively.

See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754902_541f22648c37485488282bea682c0e27_jpeg_jpegf272ec9b7e8de333789df15c524980aa

In the light of this background, let’s then see what reason the author indicates as to why this word could have appeared without a literal meaning in the Bini dictionary.

See embedded image below as highlighted on the top-right corner in continuation of the bottom-left corner.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754903_7e31a3d03b7c407ab60e863fbf8fb4c2_jpeg_jpegfba5de93eebde69a9ef00beabf7a605c

In the light of his foregoing definition of abbreviations, what we have here in the phrase “cf. Yor. ɔba” then becomes extremely clear and straightforward.

In other words, the word “Ọba” [ɔba] (used by the Binis for their monarch) has its ”etymology” [cf.] (aka. ”origin”) in the Yoruba language [Yor.]. cool grin

Quod Erat Demostrandum! cool

cc: Afam4eva

44 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 28, 2020
davidmarker:
Just to clarify: there is no such thing as etymology for west african languages.
Etymologie is the history of the written word, and the latter is a thing we didn't have until very recently.
So there is no such thing as yoruba, Edo, igbo etymology ... Any paper claiming otherwise is a fraud.

Also, anybody using as argument: "what does that word mean in your language" is also either intellectualy deficient, either he is a concious liar.

Let A be a word in our current dictionnary. Let B be the meaning we give to A today. Let C be the meaning our ancestors gave to A.

Also, claims of missplellings in precolonial texts are quite illogical. Indeed may I remind you we didn't have a written language ? Our words and names didn't have spellings. So the various spellings emanating from various europeans speaking various languages are not missplellings.

I can give you details of the first ooni of ife who changed his title from the format: "ooni of ife, sir adesoji" to the format "ooni of ife, oba adesoji": it is adesoji aderemi.

logics speak louder than lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGS0aK-LuKY

Etinosa1234
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2020
To the yoruba, I am sorry I am smarter than you. I do maths all day everyday.
And I have the advantage of being on the same side as the truth and logics and not defending fairytails.
So you guys can keep fooling yourselves, the objective reader isn't fooled. the intelligent reader isn't fooled.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
We know him already grin grin He deceives no one but himself. grin

I am glad most Nairalanders can now see through all Benin liars.

I will make these liars find a new hubby.

Here is his picture:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12021796_img20200729152633_jpeg1ed633b76001f39da7470c6ef2282281

Notice the ugliness and baldness? cheesy grin

There is no hiding place for the liar. No more.

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 2:45pm On Nov 28, 2020
davidmarker:
[s]Just to clarify: there is no such thing as etymology for west african languages.

I can give you details of the first ooni of ife who schanged his title from the format: "ooni of ife, sir adesoji" to the format "ooni of ife, oba adesoji": it is adesoji aderemi

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by davidmarker: 2:41pm
To the yoruba, I am sorry I am smarter than you. I do maths all day everyday.
And I have the advantage of being on the same side as the truth and logics and not defending fairytails.
So you guys can keep fooling yourselves, the objective reader isn't fooled. the intelligent reader isn't fooled.[/s]

These boring LIES are from where?

Yes, you guessed right. From the pit of hell.

You came too late bald head. grin The damage has already been done.

No one on Nairaland buys Benin lies anymore

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 2:48pm On Nov 28, 2020
How to identify this @davidmarker guy on Nairaland.

(1) He initially starts by pretending not to be a Bini, but continues by peddling the regular Benin lies — thus struggling to give you the impression that every one else uphold the Bini positions.

(2) When the debate gets hot for him (especially when I come on board), he leaves the subject matter and begin spamming with links to maps, YouTube video on Benin bronzes, etc.

(3) When that doesn’t work still, he brags about living in France in the hope that the typical Nigerian would ass-lick him and swallow his lies hook line and sinker without hesitation and scrutiny.

(4) And when that still doesn’t work, he tells you he is a Mathematician and as such no historian knows history except him; no linguist knows linguistics except him.

In fact, no one knows their own field of endeavor except him. Why? Because he is a primary school mAtH teacher in fRaNcE. grin

(5) And when that too fails, he would curse out, delete his account and flee, only to reappear again (with another moniker) whenever Benin Kingdom is on fire.

(6) Here is his picture, he is a low life and loser.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12021796_img20200729152633_jpeg1ed633b76001f39da7470c6ef2282281

Some of his prior monikers which I have forced him to delete after serious flogging are as follows:

Prolog, Ghostwon, Wtf, Logycs, Worldhistory, Bandit, amongst several others befor this present one which he calls “davidmarker”.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by AreaFada2: 2:48pm On Nov 28, 2020
gregyboy:

Now this only proves terracotta is not unique to yorubas not ife, i mean yorubas, because ife didnt Make artworks they purchased them

Now the styles of the terrocotta is in the style of benin and it does not show any semblance with anything ife

Terracotta head is just a mud made sculpture and nothing unique, over here in benin the people still mold with muld

Ife never made any sculpture but rather they bought sculpture from artisans
Etinosa1234
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee

Dont be decieved

Even owo had terracotta heads and the owo terrocotta heads had theseme semblance with ife terracotta so how come that of benin is now different this only shows that owo and ife purchased thesame artwork and practice thesame culture of havingthem buried
You might as well go and argue with the lots at "Uselu in". Despite their pathology, they will reason better than the repetitive cross dresser masquerading as a historian. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by babtoundey(m): 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2020
gregyboy:

Give me. 101 meaniny of the title owa, or else owa was also borrowed from benin

The painful truth is on a real ground debate you would be disqualified you and TAO11 youre not even from ife

To show how the word oba has gained respect in the yoruba lexicon during the yoruba civil war benin supplied the yorubas the atilaries they used in killing themselves

You cannot tell the meaning and origin of the title of your king yet you are here dragging "owa". Why are you like this?

I see your memory tells you Yoruba got the name oba while trading with Benin yet you don't have a simple reasonable fact to back it up. We ask for prove not for tales. Give us prove. Tells us the meaning of Oba in edo lexicon.

You have been thoroughly shamed that you don't know what to say.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 28, 2020

I can give you details of the first ooni of ife who changed his title from the format: "ooni of ife, sir adesoji" to the format "ooni of ife, oba adesoji": it is adesoji aderemi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGS0aK-LuKY

Etinosa1234
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by babtoundey(m): 3:18pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
So now “whatever his name and title was” appears to you to be a great answer. grin

Okay then, the Europeans also note Benin’s relationship with others, whatever their name was also doesn’t matter. cheesy

Sounds good to you? Satisfies you? Looks like the same standard? Or your delusions isn’t yet clear? grin

cc: babtoundey

———————
Just so you know I will copy and paste the above refutation to the next page when a new page comes up. cheesy

One of the largest empires in the West Africa forest region. Read the exploits of Oyo in the History of Dahomey by an eYeWitnEss French Slave trader in the 1700s. — The problem with you Binis is ignorance. You all know so little.

I’m glad you were honest enough to say they named their country after a body of water. They could care less whoever named it — and after whom it was named. They chose that water because of its neutrality, thus debunking any inferiority in the plastic minds of any insecure Bini.

A few years ago before my refutations, the gibberish from Binis was always that the Dahomeys came to take permission from our Oba. LMAO!

Yoruba language is the second indigenous language in Benin Republic till date as I type.

Baba is using style to admit that the name oba was a borrowed term and now a stolen term used to describe their great king. What remains for him is to admit that that the the working system presided on by the whose name is borrowed is also borrowed.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by LegendHero(m): 3:24pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
So far in the course of this thread, the following retar.ded claims have been devastatingly debunked:

(1) The retar.ded claim (by disgruntled Binis) that Yorubas began using the word “Oba” in the post-1930s.

This has been debunked with written evidence of Yoruba usage from 1899, from 1897, from c.1867, from 1845, et al.

(2) The retar.ded claim (by @samuk) that there exists some “600 years” old written evidence of Benin usage of the word “Oba”.

This retar.ded claim is yet to be substantiated (even with an atom of evidence) despite more than 10 days (and still counting) of their torturous search. cheesy

Instead, these disgruntled Binis were at best only able to demonstrate (from their own warped logic) that the Yorubas have an earlier written evidence — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1867 (Bini).

——————————————————
But what does it really mean that I was able to produce an 1845 written evidence and the Binis weren’t able to come even close to that ??

Well, it just simply means that the Binis weren’t able to come close to the Yorubas, despite their own bogus claim of wRiTteN eViDeNcE. Nothing more, nothing less! [I know I’m being too nice now]. grin

To put the same question in other words:
Does the comparative written evidence already provided really mean that the Binis began using this word only in the year 1867 — because that’s all they could provide ??

Funny enough, this line of warped reasoning is what the disgruntled Binis have been trailing. Should I play their game along with them? No, I’m Yoruba! cool

To every sound and logically mind, such conclusion (based on available writing) is too obvious as a flawed reasoning and logical fallacy — even though I could have forced their own flawed reasoning down their throats.

Such particular logical fallacy is know in analytical logic specifically by the name: argumentum ex silentio.
grin

————————————————————
Having debunked their deluded claim of 1930s [see (1)]; having exposed @samuk’s fraud of “600 years” old writing [see (2)]; having exposed their inability to produce anything close to (let alone earlier than) the Yorubas’ [see (2)]; having debunked their warped logic of arguing from earlier written usage (despite the fact that it favours me); I now turn, at this point, to discussing the actual objective evidence for determining the indigenous ownership of a word — that is, the linguistic evidence.

——————————————————————
The Argument:
(I) If a word is in use in a particular language, but its literal meaning can not be meaningfully analyzed within that language; then such word does not originally belong to that language. Gbam!

(II) The word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not have any literal meaning in the language of the Binis.

(III) In conclusion, the word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not belong originally to the Bini language — In other words, it is a loanword.

————————————————————
The Evidence:
An objective source of evidence for the meanings of Bini words is obviously and undoubtedly an authoritative dictionary of the Bini language itself.

[This is not to be confused with a dictionary of the English language which simply features a paltry number of non-English words of widespread, global, popular usage — such as: “fufu”, “agbada”, “oba”, et al.]

As such, recourse will now be made to a Bini-English Lexicon. This is so that the English readers here can access the written meanings which are attributed to the actual Bini words.

One such example of an authoritative material for this purpose is the work entitled: “A Concise Dictionary of The Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” compiled by the professor of African Phonetics and Linguistics, Hans Melzian.

———————————————————
Under the entry “Ọba” (for which Professor Melzian used “ɔ” to represent “ọ“, in order to distinguish /o/ as in odd smiley from /o/ as in old sad ); the following are some interesting observations from this Bini dictionary.

(A) Unlike what the author did with virtually all other Bini words within the same dictionary, he did not give a literal meaning to this word — as I have expected. cheesy

Rather, he simply describes the person whom the Binis refer to by this word. Interesting, isn’t it?! cheesy See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754901_bb7fcaad09fc479498aedbb24cb57370_jpeg_jpeg80dbd02cb7ce1db81e998db7e161c38e

(B) But more than that, the author (in fact) let the cat out of the bag. He revealed why this word could not have had a literal meaning in a dictionary of Bini language.

Before I reveal his reason, it is important that one is acquainted with a few notations and abbreviations which he define in his work.

Two examples of these are relevant to my discourse here, and they are: “Yor.” and “cf.” which he defines as: “Yoruba” and “etymological reference” respectively.

See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754902_541f22648c37485488282bea682c0e27_jpeg_jpegf272ec9b7e8de333789df15c524980aa

In the light of this background, let’s then see what reason the author indicates as to why this word could have appeared without a literal meaning in the Bini dictionary.

See embedded image below as highlighted on the top-right corner in continuation of the bottom-left corner.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754903_7e31a3d03b7c407ab60e863fbf8fb4c2_jpeg_jpegfba5de93eebde69a9ef00beabf7a605c

In the light of his foregoing definition of abbreviations, what we have here in the phrase “cf. Yor. ɔba” then becomes extremely clear and straightforward.

In other words, the word “Ọba” [ɔba] (used by the Binis for their monarch) has its ”etymology” [cf.] (aka. ”origin”) in the Yoruba language [Yor.]. cool grin

Quod Erat Demostrandum! cool

cc: Afam4eva, macof, gomojam, RedboneSmith, Juliusmalema, shanga, Newton85, scholes0, babtoundey, LegendHero

Mehn if you are a lawyer, you will win every case.

I tuaile for you o!

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by LegendHero(m): 3:27pm On Nov 28, 2020
gregyboy:

It is simple yorubas took the word oba from benin, then started using as a collective name for thier kingship to elevate their stool internationally

The word oba got into yoruba lexicon through eastern Yoruba

The conquered takes upon the name of the conqueror

Lol. You still have mouth to talk after all those things TAO said.

What are you really after? Knowledge or ego massaging?

If it’s knowledge, you should give up at this stage on the context of Oba and the source of the word between Yoruba and Benin.

But if it’s just for ego, then you can continue.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2020
LegendHero:

If it’s knowledge, you should give up at this stage on the context of Oba and the source of the word between Yoruba and Benin.

Knowledge my friend how can the conqueror take upon the title of a lesser conquered nation
Does it make senss
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2020
babtoundey:

You cannot tell the meaning and origin of the title of your king yet you are here dragging "owa". Why are you like this?

I see your memory tells you Yoruba got the name oba while trading with Benin yet you don't have a simple reasonable fact to back it up. We ask for prove not for tales. Give us prove. Tells us the meaning of Oba in edo lexicon.

You have been thoroughly shamed that you don't know what to say.

So how did benin get the word oba from yorubas
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
I am glad most Nairalanders can now see through all Benin liars.

I will make these liars find a new hubby.

Here is his picture:

Notice the ugliness and baldness? cheesy grin

There is no hiding place for the liar. No more.
What! grin grin grin na fine guy oo grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2020
AreaFada2:

You might as well go and argue with the lots at "Uselu in". Despite their pathology, they will reason reason better than the repetitive cross dresser masquerading as a historian. grin

She dedicate her obsession on benin, while we are commenting she is looking for books to support benin-ife connection

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2020
I’m about to debunk this mess not for others though — everyone already knows you’re a mythomaniac.

I’m doing so to attempt to rescue you from your own delusions.

Now read! cheesy

davidmarker:
This is a false statement made here without a shred of evidence.

You have peddled this falsehood in the hope that people will swallow it without asking for evidence. smiley

This is another lie from the pit of hell.

There is no basis for the specifically bolded part (... written word) of your made-up definition of etymology.

So there is no such thing as yoruba, Edo, igbo etymology
The premises of your argument have been demonstrated above to be falsehoods.

Do I still need mention what the conclusion itself is? Well — it’s still falsehood. cheesy

... Any paper claiming otherwise is a fraud.
Especially if it it is from a linguist who is neither Benin nor Yoruba. Right? cheesy

And especially if it proves the fact that the Binis borrowed the word “Oba” from the Yorubas — as we have already seen in an authoritative Bini dictionary. Right?? grin

Yes, the linguists are wrong, @davidmarker is right. Why? Because @davidmarker teaches primary school mAtH in FrAnCe. grin. /s Haha!

Hmmmm!

You mean just as it is wrong for an English boy (living in England) to ask his English teacher: “Sir, what does this word mean (of course: not in Chinese language, but in the same language) in English language ?? Shebi!?.

I guess your brain is retarding at the speed of light. grin

Interesting!!

In other words, the native speakers of a native African language have no clue what the words in their own language mean all along.

Until when some foreigners show up to teach them how to write. That is when any word in their language can have any meaning. So, they’ve been communicating with guesses all along. cheesy

Where are you from again? ... Benin, OKAY! Everything makes sense to me now.

Amazing! grin

Let A be a word in our current dictionnary. Let B be the meaning we give to A today. Let C be the meaning our ancestors gave to A. There is no proof that B=C.
Hmmm!

In other words, between the days of our ancestors and present-day: There was no continuous communication in words (and their referents) between the successive generations.

I didn’t expects sanity form you. That would be asking for too much. grin

Stop being a dunce!

The same EuRoPeAns would describe the same geographical location, etc. by two or more different spellings — sometime within the same written document.

For example:

(A) Is it. ”Beny”, or ”Benin”, or ”Ubini”, among other spellings in EUrOpEaN writtings?

(B) Is it “Jekri”, or ”Jakri” or ”Chekerie”, among other spellings in EUrOpEaN writtings?

(C) Is it “Youriba”, or ”Yar.ribah”, or ”Yoruba” as all seen in EUrOpEaN writings?

(D) Is it “Eyeo”, or ”Awyaw”, or ”Oyo”, as all seen in EUrOpEaN writings.

You have to make up your mind on how (at least) two different spellings in reference to the same thing does not imply a misspelling in at lest one of them.

I will be waiting! cheesy

I know that as a deluded Bini, you would still go — there is no misspelling in the EUrOpEaN writtings. grin

Sane Person asks: In what capacity did he use the designation “Sir”? Is it wrt his traditional stool?

Insane Bini: [scratches head and goes] Well, that was in his capacity as a politician and governor of Western Nigeria

Sane Person: Mttchew! In your life, don’t you ever call me for this kind of nonsense talk again oo — Ever!

Exactly what I’ve been explain to your bald thick skull.

Cheers!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
What! grin grin grin Greggy na fine guy oo grin
It’s not gregy.

It’s a certain guy by the moniker @davidmarker.

The following are some of his other monikers which I have forced him to delete in the past:

Prolog, Ghostwon, Wtf, Logycs, Worldhistory, Bandit, amongst may others.

Here is his modus operandi: https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/17#96530093

This is so you can identify him whenever he deletes his latest moniker and appears with a new disguised one.
——————-

As for @gregyboy, he is one and the same person as @Edeyoung.

I confirmed this 100%. It’s tested. He likes to deny it with his last blood though. cheesy

In fact, he will sometimes start quoting himself logging in and out (whenever I point this out) just to pretend he isn’t. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
It’s not gregy.

I don modify my comment. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2020
LegendHero:

Mehn if you are a lawyer, you will win every case.

I tuaile for you o!
Lol. Thank you sire!

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 3:47pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
It’s not gregy.

The following are some his other moniker which I have forced him to delete in the past:

Prolog, Ghostwon, Wtf, Logycs, Worldhistory, Bandit, amongst may others.

Here is his modus operandi: https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/17#96530093

So you can notice him whenever he deletes his latest moniker and appears with a news one.
——————-

As for @gregyboy, he is one and the same person as @Edeyoung.

I confirmed this 100%. It’s tested. He likes to deny it with his last breath though.

You may notice him start quoting himself and replying just to pretend he isn’t. grin

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 3:49pm On Nov 28, 2020
LegendHero:

If your oba could at one time adopt the benin ceremonial sword, that is indegenous to benin why can't he adopt name

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 4:02pm On Nov 28, 2020
I’m glad someone finally proved that the ADA scepter which the Binis use today originally came from Ife. grin

The original Bini Facebook poster claimed it was introduced to Benin by the Benin ruler named — Ogiso Ere.

Well, let’s find out where this Ogiso Ere (the second Ogiso) come originally from according to Bini traditions ??

See attached for an answer.

See my specific comment at this link for more details on the subject:

https://www.nairaland.com/6013716/why-does-ooni-ife-make#93935979

cc: LegendHero

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 4:11pm On Nov 28, 2020
davidmarker:
The first ooni of ife to adopt the "oba" title in the format of his name was adesoji aderemi. All the other yoruba chiefs copied him.

This same nigga

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by scholes0(m): 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2020
Benin people call the king's wife Olori

Another borrowing from Ife and Yoruba language,

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (37) (Reply)

Pictures From Igbo-Ora Twins Festival 2022 / Queen Okwukwe Nwoko Ejected From Palace Over Allegation Of Infidelity(photo) / Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.