Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It - Culture (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It (31416 Views)

What Is The Logic Behind ''ingli-igbo'' Names? / Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 9:00pm On Nov 30, 2020
samuk:
[s]NB: I have never claimed everyone manufactured Benin origin in recent times. There are places like Aboh, many Ika towms, etc that mentioned Benin part- or full-ancestry from their earliest documented traditions. I maintain however that there has been a great expansion of claims of Benin origin in comparatively recent times. Ekpeye, Ikwerre, Etche and even Ohafia claims of Benin recent belong to this latter wave of Benin claims.

I guess you didn't see the above from his submission. Small tribe that everyone is claiming one way or the other. The Yoruba are not left out of making claims of relationship with Benin. It shows how special we are.[/s]
Get away from me, you inferiority complex-infested nincompoop. grin

Your fears and insecurities stink to high heavens — visible to the blind, and audible to the deaf. cheesy

I have no business with you. My business is with your history — the fraudulent aspects of it.

Or are you bigger than your history? grin cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:04pm On Nov 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Chillax. I'll post three entire versions, free of ambiguity. There was a war with Benin in the time of Osemwede (called Osomadi in Asaba traditions). Asaba people fled and later returned to their land, after the army of Benin left (I'll post this too, if I find it.) This whole talk about migrating from sovereignty, etc etc, due to wars, etc...sounds like an allusion to that war in Osemwede's time than to any claim on the part of Asaba to have been of Benin descent.

Northern Nigerians still retain Arabic words, phrases and habits in 2020. Means very little.

The documents had no ambiguity, it was very clear. What about the part that distinguishes Asaba people from Ibo/Igbo people saying they have different habits and that they were amalgamated with Ibo people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 9:04pm On Nov 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

It is somewhat sad that people still do not understand that relationship and ancestry do not mean the same thing. I was really expecting the screenshot to say the ancestors of Asaba came from Benin. It doesn't say that. Of course, there was a relationship between Asaba and Benin. How else do you explain the Benin titles used in Asaba and other cultural imprints from Benin in and around Asaba?

Let me get on my laptop later, and I will share screenshots of three different versions of Asaba origin collected between 1879 and 1914. All of them agree that the founder or Asaba was Nnebisi from Nteje. One or two also mention an Igala prince who also came and joined Nnebisi's people. None mentions Benin.

NB: I have never claimed everyone manufactured Benin origin in recent times. There are places like Aboh, many Ika towns, etc that mentioned Benin part- or full-ancestry from their earliest documented traditions. I maintain however that there has been a great expansion of claims of Benin origin in comparatively recent times. Ekpeye, Ikwerre, Etche and even Ohafia claims of Benin descent belong to this latter wave of Benin claims.

I'll post the Asaba story when I get home and can use my laptop.
Lzaa so Igbo originated from Benin shocked wonderful grin grin
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:17pm On Nov 30, 2020
Balogunodua:

Are you serious or just trying to be funny? I can see why AreaFada2 didn't waste his time engaging you. Surely you can't be this ignorant, no, I refuse to believe it.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by LZAA: 9:17pm On Nov 30, 2020
Balogunodua:

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:34pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Get away from me, you inferiority complex-infested nincompoop. grin

Your fears and insecurities stink to high heavens — visible to the blind, and audible to the deaf. cheesy

I have no business with you. My business is with your history — the fraudulent aspects of it.

Or are you bigger than your history? grin cheesy

This is usually how our engagement always ends with a lot of premium tears from you.

Hope you have thoroughly enjoyed yourself. Those two assignments are now your cross to carry.

Should we meet again you will be reminded if you have proved these simple questions (Yoruba 1808 creation and Benin/Ife relationship early than 1800).
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by AreaFada2: 9:59pm On Nov 30, 2020
samuk:

Are you serious or just trying to be funny? I can see why AreaFada2 didn't waste his time engaging you. Surely you can't be this ignorant, no, I refuse to believe it.
My brother you see them. Very lazy lot. You have to spoon feed them. Others copy and paste.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 30, 2020
The yoruba whom are aware of the fact the truth about their passed has been revealed in this thread are actively spamming it in order to flood the true information I and other Edo people provided. yoruba don't like the truth, nor do they like logics, those are their two biggest enemies.
Gregyboy, as I told you this debate ended years ago, but ofcourse the yoruba would just spam the thread and repeat nonsensical statements to oblivion. This is one of the reasons I often delete my accounts. I don't want to waste too much time doing over and over a thing which I have already finished.
Proving over and over the same thing.
Some people with low brain activity wouldn't understand. When I chose to not reply, it is because I have spotted a non ending cycle.
So to those who will remain on nairaland, it is left for you to use the info which I provided and to always use your brain.
There is no debate, everything has been proven, only low IQ would allow anybody think the yoruba have a point.

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 10:56pm On Nov 30, 2020
Balogunodua:

Hope you guyz will be able to sleep this night .. grin you rest and accept defeat cheesy before you get heart and brain problem grin

The truth yoruba history can never hold weight without benin history by it side

See your earliest writer samuel johnson, on so many instances on his book he had to specify benin separately in his book history of yorubas

If you need the other instances just say yes and i would pour them out

The truth is yoruba history cannot survive without benin history by it side, benin oba agreeing to be one of oduduwa sons in early times for political gains was the biggest achievement yoruba ever had

Samuel johnson called the oba of benin, king of benin while he called other yoruba kings by their title

Why did he do this,

So he wont sound foolish calling the king of benin oba, and yet still use the word oba as a generic term to adress yoruba monarch

He was very foolish

TAO11
TAO12
gomojam
DonCandido
Amujale
macof
Sewgon79
lx3as
nisai
2fine2fast
Aphrygian
Olu317
Obalufon
geosegun

Afam4eva
RedboneSmith

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Sarah20A
Valirex
Etrusen

grin grin grin grin

Emphasis on including benin

This useless yoruba man refuse to call oba of benin is title throughout his book, he referred tp oba of benin as king of benin throughout and called the various yoruba monarch their respective titles and also used the term oba as a generic name for them

Is it not obvious this guy had plans

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 11:08pm On Nov 30, 2020
Balogunodua:

Hope you guyz will be able to sleep this night .. grin you rest and accept defeat cheesy before you get heart and brain problem grin
This is in reply to the dummy who just quoted you above.

He seems to have just admitted from his own personal evidence that Benin kingdom was under the Great OYO Empire during the reign of Alaafin Ojigi. grin

More so, Ojigi was clearly called ”king” in this account. So, what was the dumb point he was making again?

Whoever that dullard was, thank you for sharing your evidence with us to prove that Benin kingdom was under the Great Oyo Empire. grin

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 11:14pm On Nov 30, 2020
davidmarker:
The yoruba whom are aware of the fact the truth about their passed has been revealed in this thread are actively spamming it in order to flood the true information I and other Edo people provided. yoruba don't like the truth, nor do they like logics, those are their two biggest enemies.
Gregyboy, as I told you this debate ended years ago, but ofcourse the yoruba would just spam the thread and repeat nonsensical statements to oblivion. This is one of the reasons I often delete my accounts. I don't want to waste too much time doing over and over a thing which I have already finished.
Some people with low brain activity wouldn't understand. When I chose to not reply, it is because I have spotted a non ending cycle.

Disgracing them all over again is fun
Most times i try to channel my attention on the over obsessed Tao11

I love her obsession over benins, her obsession leads me revealing the truth about the true yorubas That other tribe wouldn't easily see

I make her obsession looks stupid in her face, and i regularly send her off to oblivion to cook more lies then i crush the lies agsin on her returns wasting no time.....

Am currently on a research and Tao11 is my lab rat, i dont want to jumb to the conclusion that benin-ife never existed, without giving yorubas and my fellow benins a doubt that indeed it was all fairytales, so i allow Tao11 be my opposer, she not knowing my intentions bid into my plans
I regularly send her into oblivion if what she came with as prove was rubbish i tend to
Always give her a second chances so it won't look i came into conclusion easily without a doubt

Tao is my lab rat

Have you notice she stop quoting me, because the last i bleeped her i almost disfigured her ancestoral pot, in our last thread,

This thread would have gone passed me if not that one of her overzealous yoruba kingsmen called my attention to it

Ghostwon you have done well leave the yorubas to me i love fucking them all

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 11:26pm On Nov 30, 2020
davidmarker:
So what did we learn today:
Well, we’ve learnt that suicide is loading in Benin Kingdom today.

who was the first ooni of ife to copy the word Oba into his title: adesoji aderemi.
Well, on this same thread we’ve already seen written evidence of “Oba” usage among the Yorubas — some going back to the year 1845.

The closest the Benin usage came so far is 1863.

Moreover, linguistics evidence have already been adduced on this same thread to establish that the Binis borrowed “Oba” from the Yorubas.

He also created a beaded crown as a way to copy the Benin crown. (the fake crown in the picture below)

Well I understand your desperation, but guess what: No Benin crown comes close in any way shape or form to any Ife crown.

The closest which one of the Benin crowns came (the tall one) was that it looked like the signature tall crown of other Yoruba kingdoms (excluding Ife) called Ade-Nla.

Moreover, if your claim was that the Ife kingdom had more than one type of crown, that’s factual. cheesy

In fact, the crowns are almost innumerable, just as the Binis have more than one as well — two examples (of the Binis’) of which may be seen at this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/20#96543761

there is no such thing as Edo, igbo or yoruba etymology. Anybody using such as argument is either intellectually bankrupt either morally bankrupt, anyways his argument is trash
This is a false statement which you’ve made here without a shred of evidence.

You have simply peddled this falsehood in the hope that people will swallow it without asking for evidence. smiley

the yoruba have a habbit of copying other people's cultures:
Interesting! Let’s hear it.

a) they first copied the word "sir" which is a mark of british nobility: ooni of ife, sir adesoji.
Haha!

Insecure Bini Liar: Look, the Ooni of Ife uses “Sir” instead of “Oba”

Sane Person: In what capacity did he use the designation “Sir”? Is it with respect to his traditional stool?

Insecure Bini Liar: [scratches his bald head and goes] Well, that was in his capacity as a politician and governor of Western Nigeria

Sane Person: Why then did you post this when you already know it is nonsense?
——-—

Moreover, I would have thought you should know that Nigeria was a British colony.

And that certain British titles were conferred on certain distinguished public office holders.

One of such distinguished individuals was the then Ooni of Ife. At the time, he was the Governor of the Nigerian Western Nigeria.

Other Nigerians who have been conferred similar the honor are:
Sir Ahmadi Bello; Sir Herbert Macaulay; Alhaji Sir Abubakr’s Tafawa Balewa to name a few.

b) after some time they changed that borrowed word for an other borrowed word "Oba" the title of the King of Benin: it then became "ooni of ife, oba adesoji"
Well, as the written evidence have shown so far on this thread; your base level of reasoning should have permitted you to conclude that:

The Yorubas have been using the word “Oba” decades before the Binis would first use it — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1863 (Benin).

c) adesoji also imitated the Benin crown
This has already been demonstrated in this same comment to be a deluded falsehood.

d) the current crown worn by the ooni of ife is an imitation of a statue which was found in ife
Interesting! An ancient Ife crown is modeled after a more ancient Ife sculpture. So? cheesy Hehehe!

e) the current dress of the ooni of ife is an imitation of the royal uniform of the king of the Ashanti
Oh, I have an idea!

What about ‘the current dress of the Ashanti king is an imitation of the Ife king’s’?

In fact, this is more tenable since a Ghanaian subgroup claimed to have originated from Ife considering the testimony of the then Supreme King of the Ga people — The Ga Matse, King Nii Adama Latse

4) Benin has a true history, ife has fairytales.
5) benin has architecture, ...

6) Benin actually fought a war against britain, ife once again has fairytales of great warriors

7) Benin city got burnt into ashes, ife didn't yet no architecture, nothing to show in ife.
8 ) at this point it feels like a big insult to even dare pronounce benin and ife in the same sentence in anybody's dream.
indeed, ife remains a village, a make-belief rubbish elevated by the invaders becuase the ooni of ife was a backstabbing traitor to the cause the black race. The ooni of ife served the british instead of fighting the british, coward if you ask me.Sayonara

In “Ibn Battûta’s 1352 Voyages to Asia and Africa, ... we learn that southwest of the Mâlli (Mali) kingdom lies a country called Yoûfi (Ife) that is one of the “most considerable countries of the Soudan [governed by a]…souverain [who] is one of the greatest kings”.*

“Battuta’s description of Yoûfi* (Ife) as a country that “No white man can enter…because the negros will kill him before he arrives”* is consistent with the ritual primacy long associated with Ife, due perhaps to its mercantile strength (glass beads, iron and probably textiles).

Among the latter items seem to have been not only cotton and raphia cloth but also silk textiles fashioned from local worms. The latter suggests that in the twelfth through fifteenth centuries, Ife was part of the famous East-West silk road. This is one of many indicators that Ife was part of the larger global trading network. The need to control related goods (and technologies) is in part what gave Ife and its rulers their unique associations with secrecy and danger
.”

~ Reference: Ibn Battuta’s 1352 Voyage as cited in Suzanne Preston Blier’s “Art and Risk in Ancient Yoruba: Ife History, Power and Identity, c.1300”, Cambridge University Press, 2015, p. 28.

At this time when Ibn Battuta visited West Africa in the 1300s and documented about Ife, there was no kingdom called Benin worth noting.

You know why? Ife was blowing. The elephant and its child doesn’t blow at the same time.

Erin kii fon, ki omo re naa fon. grin

ife has fairytales of rambo/oduduwa dropping from the sky in egypt strait into ife with a golden parachute/chain.
Till date I’m still yet to get an answer on where the the ancestors of Bini people and their Kings’ progenitors descended from. Is it?:

(A) Ife according to the “official” Benin account.

(B) Heaven via chains according to the Benin mythological account.

(C) Egypt according to Egharevba’s 1952 edition.

(D) The last born child of God Almighty (and his wife) according to Omonoba Erediauwa

(E) All of the above.

Please help, I really need to find out the correct answer.
It appears you’re disgruntled because there are no more gullible customers for your Benin lies on Nairaland, therefore ... E PAIN AM Die

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by RedboneSmith(m): 11:35pm On Nov 30, 2020
samuk:

Did you read that document properly? Did you skip where it says that the Asaba people migrated to Asaba from the sovereign of the Oba of Benin due to wars?

Did you read where a clear distinction was made between Asaba people and Ibo/Igbo people of which they were amalgamated?

Did you read were it says Asaba people have different habits from Ibo/Igbo people?

Did you read the part it says the Asaba people still retained Benin words, phrases and habits in 1875?

Did TAO11 borrowed you her lenses?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 30, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Click the link and read Abi u dey use freebasics

No need and not necessary.
Not at all..
I can glorify Ignorance
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Etinosa1234: 11:51pm On Nov 30, 2020
Juliusmalema:

[s]
No need and not necessary.

Not at all..

I can glorify Ignorance[/s]

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by RedboneSmith(m): 11:56pm On Nov 30, 2020
Argh! I'm having great difficulty uploading the other versions from 1901 and 1914, which all agree in general (though differ in some specifics) with the 1879 version already uploaded. Repeat: Benin does not feature as a point of origin in any of these versions; and the present generation of Asaba people sure as heck don't make the claim. Will keep trying to upload.

Note: Ntemedsah = Ntemeje =Nteje, a town in present-day Anambra State from which Nnebisi (Nebissi) is said to have hailed. There's still a popular street in Asaba (Nnebisi Road) named after him.

Clarification: I am posting from the paper by Professor Elizabeth Isichei. But concerning the versions of the traditions, they are direct quotations from the original sources (which are fully cited.)

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 1:19am On Dec 01, 2020
An other fake regarding yoruba "history":

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/african-art-experts-say-that-sixth-century-sculpture-returned-to-nigeria-is-a-forgery

'Stolen' ancient sculpture returned to Nigeria is 'the kind of fake you could buy on eBay', African art expert says

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 01, 2020
these guys (the ya.riba) are so fake...anything relating to them is some sort of fraud.
They are prone to copying others and they will never acknowledge the person whom they copy, they would rather turn everything upside down and claim they were the ones being copied.
Even right here you can see their trolls copying me.
Their ooni the shrine keeper of ife (adesoji aderemi) copying the title of the Oba of Benin.
Their ooni the shrine keeper of ife (adesoji aderemi) copying the crown of the Oba of Benin.
Their ooni the shrine keeper of ife copying the ceremonial sword of Benin.
Their ooni wearing Benin beeds.
Their ooni copying the royal uniform of the ashanti
All copying, even the current crown of their ooni is the copy of an archeological finding ...

Copy copy copy, no originality, thy name is y.ariba

Copy-copy tribe made in 1808.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 1:57am On Dec 01, 2020
davidmarker:
[s]these guys are so fake...anything relating to them is some sort of fraud.
They are prone to copying others and they will never acknowledge the person whom they copy, they would rather turn everything upside down and claim they were the ones being copied.
Even right here you can see their trolls copying me.
Their ooni the shrine keeper of ife (adesoji aderemi) copying the title of the Oba of Benin.
Their ooni the shrine keeper of ife (adesoji aderemi) copying the crown of the Oba of Benin.
Their ooni the shrine keeper of ife copying the ceremonial sword of Benin.
Their ooni wearing Benin beeds.
Their ooni copying the royal uniform of the ashanti
All copying, even the current crown of their ooni is the copy of an archeological finding ...

Copy copy copy, no originality, thy name is y.ariba

Copy-copy tribe made in 1808.[/s]
ALREADY DEBUNKED! cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 1:58am On Dec 01, 2020
davidmarker:
[s]An other fake regarding yoruba "history":

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/african-art-experts-say-that-sixth-century-sculpture-returned-to-nigeria-is-a-forgery

'Stolen' ancient sculpture returned to Nigeria is 'the kind of fake you could buy on eBay', African art expert says[/s]
You’re simply too dumb to realize that the expert was contending that the above returned forgery is in fact not the same original that was initially taken from Nigeria.

Having clarified that, if you can show me ANY ancient Benin artwork whose naturalism and realism meets up with that of the following two ancient Ife-Yoruba artworks, then I promise to allow you peddle lies freely on Nairaland without checks or controls. I promise. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12769978_675abba9d9564c2a9dccbada6660916f_jpeg_jpeg27a46c1bc047f1e86dc445535a6a98d9
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12769979_5ae1b03b628943719aad9fbe9e13c73b_jpeg_jpega3d9f3de8494386a47ac23021a7e81b9

This is your opportunity to peddle lies continually and freely on Nairaland ad-infinitum without any checks or restraints.

I hope you won’t let this golden “opportunity” pass you by. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12764287_de9efd884dd04412b99c8d69ce358463_jpeg_jpeg391622a325de641aa1c52b75d1e20ac0

Cheers

I’d cc: Nairalanders who are neither Yoruba nor Edo to be the judge: Afam4eva, RedboneSmith, Juliusmalema,

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by RedboneSmith(m): 7:44am On Dec 01, 2020
samuk:

Did you read that document properly? Did you skip where it says that the Asaba people migrated to Asaba from the sovereign of the Oba of Benin due to wars?

Did you read where a clear distinction was made between Asaba people and Ibo/Igbo people of which they were amalgamated?

Did you read were it says Asaba people have different habits from Ibo/Igbo people?

Did you read the part it says the Asaba people still retained Benin words, phrases and habits in 1875?

Did TAO11 borrowed you her lenses?

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 01, 2020
RedboneSmith:
Argh! I'm having great difficulty uploading the other versions from 1901 and 1914, which all agree in general (though differ in some specifics) with the 1879 version already uploaded. Repeat: Benin does not feature as a point of origin in any of these versions; and the present generation of Asaba people sure as heck don't make the claim. Will keep trying to upload.

Note: Ntemedsah = Ntemeje =Nteje, a town in present-day Anambra State from which Nnebisi (Nebissi) is said to have hailed. There's still a popular street in Asaba (Nnebisi Road) named after him.

Clarification: I am posting from the paper by Professor Elizabeth Isichei. But concerning the versions of the traditions, they are direct quotations from the original sources (which are fully cited.)

Sound Sound not makeshift fabrications.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 8:19am On Dec 01, 2020
samuk:

Yes... grin when you guyz can't prove anything you start diverting to insults cheesy Na una way... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 8:24am On Dec 01, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Let's look at the evidences provided.

1. 1875 missionary report by Bishop Crowder who was in Asaba in 1875. Crowder told us that as of 1875 Asaba people who were different in habits from Ibo/Igbo have already been amalgamated with Igbo people, which means Abasa people and Igbo people were leaving together as one. The account of Asaba people, Crowder recorded says they migrated from the sovereign of the Oba of and still retained words and phrases from the Benin language as of 1875 and pays the Oba of Benin great veneration.

2. Bishop Ajayi Crowder was neither Benin nor Igbo and there is no evidence that he speaks Benin or Igbo. One can not see bias either way in his written records.

3. Your later reference claimed to have been written in 1879, 4 years after Crowder visit gave an oral account by an Igbo speaker. Hope you can spot the possible bias.

4. All your other subsequent accounts were given by those who lived amongst Igbo and spoke the Igbo language fluently.

In summary, we have two accounts.

1. From a truly independent eyewitness witness whose account is older being written in 1875.

2. From Igbo speakers irrespective of were they came from.

3. Before you argue that some of these guys were from Sierra Leone, may I quickly remind you that the earliest Yoruba historians like Samuel Johnson who wrote favourably about the Yoruba and Oyo was also from Sierra Leone.

4. Most of these people from Sierra Leone who were mostly freed slaves that found their ways to Nigeria wrote favourable about their adopted part of Nigeria. Though majority of them settled amongst the Yoruba, others found their ways to other parts of Nigeria including Benin City, settled and adopted those places.

5. Benin history suffered this sort of biases from early Yoruba historians like Samuel Johnson but the advantage Benin history have is that such biases can easily be disproved by eyewitness accounts of Europeans who were constant visitors to Benin.

6. You may have seen page 174 of Samuel Johnson, the history of the Yoruba, shared here that seems to fraudulently suggests that Benin was one time under Oyo. Now juxtapose this with the interview of Oba Adolo in 1862 by the English man Bosman which I presented and other earlier European eyewitness records of Benin back to 1472, you will not find any evidence to support Johnson's suggestion.

There was no century from 1400s to 1897 that Benin didn't receive European visitors who recorded what they saw at those times. These early writings insulate Benin history from later years fabrications.

Same reason the Yoruba people is still unable to prove later years Benin/Ife connection fabrication earlier than 1800s.

It's left for others to read both accounts and draw their own conclusions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 8:24am On Dec 01, 2020
gregyboy:

The truth yoruba history can never hold weight without benin history by it side

See your earliest writer samuel johnson, on so many instances on his book he had to specify benin separately in his book history of yorubas

If you need the other instances just say yes and i would pour them out

The truth is yoruba history cannot survive without benin history by it side, benin oba agreeing to be one of oduduwa sons in early times for political gains was the biggest achievement yoruba ever had

Samuel johnson called the oba of benin, king of benin while he called other yoruba kings by their title

Why did he do this,

So he wont sound foolish calling the king of benin oba, and yet still use the word oba as a generic term to adress yoruba monarch

He was very foolish

TAO11
TAO12
gomojam
DonCandido
Amujale
macof
Sewgon79
lx3as
nisai
2fine2fast
Aphrygian
Olu317
Obalufon
geosegun

Afam4eva
RedboneSmith

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Sarah20A
Valirex
Etrusen

grin grin grin grin

Emphasis on including benin

This useless yoruba man refuse to call oba of benin is title throughout his book, he referred tp oba of benin as king of benin throughout and called the various yoruba monarch their respective titles and also used the term oba as a generic name for them

Is it not obvious this guy had plans

Upon all this trash you still can't prove anything.. grin until you tell me the meaning of Oba in Edo language cheesy then I will take you serious Mr. Goal cahnger.... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 8:26am On Dec 01, 2020
davidmarker:
So to those who will remain on nairaland, it is left for you to use the info which I provided and to always use your brain.
There is no debate, everything has been proven, only low IQ would allow anybody think the yoruba have a point.

Seriously.... grin this guy no fit sleep Ooooh... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 8:29am On Dec 01, 2020
TAO11:
This is in reply to the dummy who just quoted you above.

He seems to have just admitted from his own personal evidence that Benin kingdom was under the Great Empire during the reign of Alaafin Ojigi. grin

More so, Ojigi was clearly called ”king” in this account. So, what was the dumb point he was making again?

Whoever that dullard was, thank you for sharing your evidence with us to prove that Benin kingdom was under the Great Oyo Empire. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 8:32am On Dec 01, 2020
samuk:

This is usually how our engagement always ends with a lot of premium tears from you.

Hope you have thoroughly enjoyed yourself. Those two assignments are now your cross to carry.

Should we meet again you will be reminded if you have proved these simple questions (Yoruba 1808 creation and Benin/Ife relationship early than 1800).
Lolzzz... grin she is crying Ke.. cheesy when you guyz are the ones having sleepless night cheesy grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Balogunodua(m): 8:38am On Dec 01, 2020
TAO11:
If you can show me ANY ancient Benin artwork whose naturalism and realism meets up with any of the following two’s, then I promise to allow you peddle lies freely on Nairaland without checks and control. I promise. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12769978_675abba9d9564c2a9dccbada6660916f_jpeg_jpeg27a46c1bc047f1e86dc445535a6a98d9
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12769979_5ae1b03b628943719aad9fbe9e13c73b_jpeg_jpega3d9f3de8494386a47ac23021a7e81b9

This is your opportunity to peddle lies continually and freely on Nairaland ad-infinitum without any checks or control.

I hope you won’t let this golden “opportunity” pass you by. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12764287_de9efd884dd04412b99c8d69ce358463_jpeg_jpeg391622a325de641aa1c52b75d1e20ac0

Cheers

I’d cc: Nairalanders who are nether Yoruba nor Edo to be the judge: Afam4eva, RedboneSmith, Juliusmalema,
He will soon delete that account... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by RedboneSmith(m): 8:55am On Dec 01, 2020
samuk:

Let's look at the evidences provided.

1. 1875 missionary report by Bishop Crowder who was in Asaba in 1875. Crowder told us that as of 1875 Asaba people who were different in habits from Ibo/Igbo have already been amalgamated with Igbo people, which means Abasa people and Igbo people were leaving together as one. The account of Asaba people Crowder recorded says they migrated from the sovereign of the Oba of and still retained words and phrases from the Benin language as of 1875 and pays the Oba of Benin great veneration.

2. Bishop Ajayi Crowder was neither Benin nor Igbo and there is no evidence that he speaks Benin or Igbo. One can not see bias either way in his written records.

3. Your later reference claimed to have been written in 1879, 4 years after Crowder visit gave an oral account by an Igbo speaker. Hope you can spot the possible bias.

4. All your other subsequent accounts were given by those who lived amongst Igbo and spoke the Igbo language fluently.

In summary, we have two accounts.

1. From a truly independent eyewitness witness whose account is older being written in 1875.

2. From Igbo speakers irrespective of were they came from.

3. Before you argue that some of these guys were from Sierra Leone, may I quickly remind you that the earliest Yoruba historians like Samuel Johnson who wrote favourably about the Yoruba and Oyo was also from Sierra Leone.

4. Most of these people from Sierra Leone who were mostly freed slaves that found their ways to Nigeria wrote favourable about their adopted part of Nigeria. Though majority of them settled amongst the Yoruba, others found their ways to other parts of Nigeria including Benin City, settled and adopted those places.

It's left for others to read both accounts and draw their own conclusions.

Very weird defence.

First, Northcote Thomas was not Igbo and wasn't very fluent in the language, from all indications. He was a British anthropologist. And of all the stories presented so far, his is the only one written by a professional ethnologist. This is an important fact.

Second, you accusing the two Spencers of 'Igbo' bias is ridiculous. Igbo bias and they still acknowledged Igala blood in Asaba? One can actually argue that their fluency in the language of the natives gave them more access to the lore of the people than Crowther ever gained. Field researchers in the social sciences will tell you how important speaking and understanding the language of the research subjects are.

You can't go accusing Igbo-speaking Sierra Leoneans of 'Igbo' bias in 1879 with zero evidence. Other Igbo-speaking Sierra Leoneans of the time that we know about (such as John Christopher Taylor and Solomon Perry) were remarkable detached from the native Igbo population they worked among and felt themselves to be Europeanised black men than anything else.

The fact that the accounts of the Spencers are copious and detailed, mentioning names of culture-heroes and such, and Crowther's is rather an ambiguous one-liner (Yes, it is ambiguous) speaks for itself.

I bet you didn't know that in the 1890s when Nteje was attacked by Abam warriors, it was to Asaba that they fled as refugees, on the basis of kinship. I bet you also didn't know that in the 19th century or slightly later (will have to cross-check the date later), Nteje emissaries went to Asaba to formally ask them to return home. They were welcome by the Asaba peoole, but Asaba people politely declined the offer, stating that they had become too deep-rooted in their 'new' home to just pack up and return.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (37) (Reply)

Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / Why Cremation Should Be Practiced In Nigeria. / Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.