Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings (33011 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by owukpa(m): 5:21pm On Nov 05, 2020
Superstition is a widely held but irrational belief in supernatural influences, especially as leading to good or bad luck, or a practice based on such a belief while omen on the other hand is an event regarded as a portent of good or evil.

Every tribe has its unique belief and Idoma community is not left out.

In the extant time and even now, there are beliefs and superstitions that our people have refused to let go.

Today, IDOMA VOICE takes a look at some of the popular omens/superstitions in Idoma land and their meanings.

HOOTING OWL (OGWUGWU)

An owl is a nocturnal bird of prey with large eyes, a facial disc, a hooked beak, and typically a loud hooting call. In Idoma land, when an owl hoots repeatedly close to the house, it is believed that someone in the family is about to die.

BEE SWARM (ENWU)

Bees are stinging winged insects which collect nectar and pollen, produces wax and honey, and live in large communities. They are commonly found in hollow trees.

However, when a swarm of bees relocates from the forest to a tree close to the house, it is believed to be a bad omen in Idoma land. Once this happens, someone in the community would die.

CLICKING BATS

Just like owl, it is believed that once a bat pings/clicks around the house, it is a sign that someone is about to die.

It means that the owl is renting a shroud (opa).

CORONA AROUND THE SUN (ADO)

A halo around the sun is a fairly common phenomenon. It is typically caused when there are very high, very thin clouds. These clouds, being so high in the sky, are made from ice crystals. However, in Idoma land, it is believed that once that happens, a prominent person in the community is about to die.

GHOST IN THE MARKET SQUARE (ALEKWU)

Another popular superstition in Idoma land is hot to spot a ghost in the market square. It is believed that if you dare look in between your legs in the market square, you will see apparitions walking with their heads. Nobody has ever seen that anyway.

BABY AND MIRROR

It is also believed in this part of the country that once an infant sights him/herself in the mirror, the child’s teeth will never grow.

BOIL ON EYELID (Ukpukpuweja)

A boil that occurs on the eyelid is called a stye and in Idoma land, it is believed that if it appears on the left eyelid, someone from the maternal side would die and if is on the right side, someone from the paternal side would die.

WEARING WRONG SIDE OF A CLOTH

In some parts of Idoma land and Nigeria at large, when someone mistakenly wears the wrong side of a cloth, it is believed that something good is about to come the person’s way. It means someone is about gift the person something, especially money.

THE LEFT FOOT MYSTERY

Have you ever tripped and hurt your left foot and you were on your way to do something, meet someone or attend to something? Chills run down your spine as you get a feeling of foreboding. When you fail, you remember your little accident and believe that a sign was given to you. You wish you had instead hit your right foot as it is a sign of luck.

HITTING THE TEETH

It is also believed that if you are eating and you mistakenly hit your teeth, it is a sign that hunger is lurking around the corner.

MOUSE COMING OUT AT DAYTIME

Mouse Malondialdehyde (MDA) ELISA Kit - ELISA Genie

Akoto beche oleno, eche layidoma: This is a popular song among the Idoma people (West). It means, if a rabbit comes out at daytime, it is a taboo.

In Idoma land, it is believed that mice are only seen at night and if it comes out during the day, it is a bad omen. It means an aged woman/man is about to die in the community.

ITCHING OF LEFT HAND

When your left hand itches, it means money is going out. Right means money coming in. | Itchy hands, Itchy palms superstition, Old wives tale

A left palm itching can carry spiritual meaning or be related to a medical condition. There are superstitions about luck and money that relate to a hand that itches, and remedies on how to make it stop.

When your left hand’s palm itches, it can indicate you are about to come into some money.

BREAKING OF CLAY POT ON FIRE

In the extant time, women cook food using clay pots. However, when a woman is making a meal and the clay pot breaks on fire, it is believed that one of her parents or someone dear to her is about to die.

SALIVA MYSTERY

There is another superstition that whenever spit suddenly drops from your mouth, it is a sign that you are about to eat enough meat.

GRAND SQUIRREL MYSTERY

Okwuleje (grand squirrels) are members of the squirrel family of rodents, which generally live on or in the ground, rather than trees.

It is also believed that if you are working towards a goal or outcome and have been wondering about the meaning of squirrel crossing your path, then the squirrel is trying to tell you not to give up.

Source: https://www.idomavoice.com/2020/10/popular-omens-superstitions-in-idoma-land-and-their-meanings.html

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by ATEAMS: 7:18pm On Nov 05, 2020
How do you trust your feelings when they can just disappear like that?

1 Share

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Orissodiq: 7:18pm On Nov 05, 2020
Africa......
I beg make i get a chair

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by QualityGraphic8(m): 7:18pm On Nov 05, 2020
It is well

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Rebuke: 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2020
undecided
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Faithfull19: 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2020
Okay

8 Likes

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by aleeyus(m): 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2020
kj
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2020
An individual choice to believe or not.

BTW for all students

Are you in need of internship opportunities, even with little to no prior experience.
Then this is for you:
Join internshala career starter internships 2.0
https://internshala.com/career-starter-internships-nov20?utm_source=refer_copylink&utm_medium=9347023

4 Likes

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Gidah: 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2020
Benue
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by reubenobi(m): 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2020
Story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Abubakraheemat(f): 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2020
Nothing like superstitions, it's just based on what you believe in that's all, nothing is special there!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Dayoebe(m): 7:21pm On Nov 05, 2020
Fallacies

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by biggestby: 7:21pm On Nov 05, 2020
Do you have a YouTube Channel and you are fustrated because you could not get subscribers and watch hours to monetize the channel ? ? ?
We are Team of Professional Digital Marketer who can help your channel get Real and Legit Thousands of subscribers and watch hour regardless of the numbers of subscribers you want within a short period of time.

Also, if you want a manager who can help you manage your YouTube channel to grow, we can help in managing and making quality videos for the channel.

Furthermore, if you want to learn professional Video editing to make your YouTube video regardless of your YouTube channel Niche.

Kindly Contact us by Call or send WhatsApp message to

07 04 2 9 1 6 2 3 5
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by osamz007: 7:21pm On Nov 05, 2020
For 21st century

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by ajijolaoluwa007: 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
shocked
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
OP What of Aleku in Idoma Land

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Enudapan: 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms

Sounds like super story shaa
Op are you wale adenuga?

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by aleeyus(m): 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
osamz007:
For 21st century

���
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Virus99: 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
All I know is that the opposite of what I dreamt about is what usually happens angry

At the Nigerisn Army Short Service Selection Board in Kaduna that year, I dreamt and I saw my self in full military regalia... The next morning I totally messed my Interview. And I wasn't shortlisted in the final list.

Months later, I dreamt that I failed woefully and everyone was mocking me. Couple of weeks later, I found an Angel investor for my startup.

These things perplex me so much especially since I detest religion or the notion of an omnipotent God who watch on while evil happens in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by tobechi74: 7:23pm On Nov 05, 2020
Sad that some people believe them till today.

Society has fed lot of crap to our brain.

Animals live their true identity

Not chained by the expectation of society

Eat when hungry

Mate when Hot

Without feeling ashamed

No clergy to place blame

A New born child is a sinner

So says a book that praises murderers

The gods created us nude

Yet unclothedness is a taboo it makes no sense

But we do not want to look different

So we put on a covering

And betray our true feeling.

We hide our true self

And show our false self

We tell children not to cheat

We are no different from hypocrite

Stop the pretence

Break the fence

Speak your unpopular opinion

Though it may conflict with established institution

Be yourself in the face of death

Your killers will oneday loose their breath

It is better to say your mind

Than to live a lie

How will someone else accept you

When you cannot love you

https://tobechispeaks./2020/11/05/fed-with-guilt/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by ecomalchemist(m): 7:23pm On Nov 05, 2020
lol, Africans and superstitious beliefs.

Free your mind from mental slavery, exercise, read a book and meditate with good herbs only then will you know thyself.

One touch watch,
IP67 ratings,
150MAh inbuilt battery,
Blood pressure, Oxygen, heart rate and sleep monitor,
Call and SMS notification,
Messaged reminder

Available in black, pink and white

With fitpro app

Check my signature.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Imstrong2(m): 7:23pm On Nov 05, 2020
And this might be a reason why Africa still has miles ahead
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Cornrows(m): 7:23pm On Nov 05, 2020
Anya wune-ne.

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by slawormiir: 7:23pm On Nov 05, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Ogamysamo: 7:24pm On Nov 05, 2020
almost same with yoruba
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2020
NONSENSE POST TO GENERATE
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Mindlog: 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2020
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by IjebuWarrior: 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2020
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Collection Of Igbo Songs Illustrating Igbo Culture / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Visits Oboro Gbaraun In Delta State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.