Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,416 members, 7,781,207 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:39 AM

Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber (5090 Views)

Tomato Scarcity Looms As FG Approves Importation For Nine Companies / The Machinery "Big John" Used For Planting Trees In Lagos (Photos) / FarmLands For Crop Planting In Ogun State Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by NNEWIsuper: 9:53pm On Nov 05, 2020
The scarcity of onions has led some interest farmers to start planting onions just like we started planting cucumbers after realising it grows here.. Infact the cucumbers grown in the south are fatter and more nutritious than the ones grown in the north.

19 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by YouAreFinished: 9:58pm On Nov 05, 2020
Ok
Which one did the South East plant?

1 Like

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by nairalandankrah: 10:01pm On Nov 05, 2020
YouAreFinished:
Ok
They planted common sense for the north/west

28 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2020
NNEWIsuper:
The scarcity of onions has led some interest farmers to start planting onions just like we started planting cucumbers after realising it grows here.. Infact the cucumbers grown in the south are fatter and more nutritious than the ones grown in the north.

I believe the cucumber story because I saw it but I don't believe this onion story till I see it.
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by ourema(f): 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2020
Necessity is the mother of inventions

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 10:08pm On Nov 05, 2020
YouAreFinished:
Ok

Just so you know, the south east experience more rainfall than the middle belt and south west combined

Till now they have not been meaningful rain in your land.

Quote me, let me hit you with facts.

18 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by alizma: 10:09pm On Nov 05, 2020
Before the light, there is always a darkness. Even the Bible tells us there was darkness before God said let there be light and there was light.
Some ugly situations are blessings in disguise, most important is how you react to the ugly situation.

2 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by NNEWIsuper: 10:13pm On Nov 05, 2020
Charleys:

I believe the cucumber story because I saw it but I don't believe this onion story till I see it.
They just started recently because of the scarcity.. You will start seeing the result next year.. I'm entering onion farming soon

9 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by NNEWIsuper: 10:14pm On Nov 05, 2020
YouAreFinished:
Ok
Come and see big cucumbers in the east.. We have very fat cucumbers that no gal can ever try to use to Masturbate.. Lol

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Bluntguy: 10:15pm On Nov 05, 2020
Are we also still rearing the cows?
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by NNEWIsuper: 10:20pm On Nov 05, 2020
Bluntguy:
Are we also still rearing the cows?
Some southerners have cow ranches if you don't know.. Atleast for the east is becoming more popular day by day

1 Like

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Pierocash(m): 10:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
Until we start rearing cows, but until then,wake me up. I can't wait to start seeing our own southerni-allah cattle breeders association
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Rugaria: 10:25pm On Nov 05, 2020
It's not a must that we will plant everything down south.. They ones we can't plant or are too busy to farm, we buy elsewhere. From Cameroon, Burkina faso, Ghana. Lift the ban on agric imports. America, China, UK, all import some of their food... After all, the socalled farmers up north that benefit from these bans, pay no taxes. Some are even from Niger.

2 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by BrownLondon(m): 10:36pm On Nov 05, 2020
Charleys:

Just so you know, the south east experience more rainfall than the middle belt and south west combined

Will you keep quiet?

Lagos, Ondo and some part of part experience more rainfall than South east.

Lagos, some part of Ogun and Ondo falls in Mangrove and fresh water swamp, hence SW experience more rainfall than SE.

Uninformed fellow, saying trash with confidence.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Moferere: 10:40pm On Nov 05, 2020
YouAreFinished:
Ok
Hehehe you sha like trouble
This question will rattle the Illiterate Peoples of Biafra (Igbos)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 05, 2020
I have a huge cucumber farm but I'll look into onion farming along with pepper and tomato.

11 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Earthstorms(m): 11:06pm On Nov 05, 2020
BrownLondon:

Will you keep quiet?

Lagos, some part of Ogun and Ondo falls in Mangrove and fresh water swamp, hence SW experience more rainfall than SE.

We really have some people on NL, this one seem not to know the difference between rainfall map and vegetation map.

Some mothers do have them.

11 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 11:22pm On Nov 05, 2020
BrownLondon:

Will you keep quiet?

Through out this year, rain has fallen not up to 8 times in the west.

It has fallen more than that in the east. There are some days you can't go out for a week due to rain.

Do you know why the west have sooooo many Wells in their environment?
If they had such rainfall as you claim they won't need Wells bro.

I hated the wells when I first went there, but at the end I got used to it. It was necessary.

9 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by joshjc(m): 11:26pm On Nov 05, 2020
Ardar:
I have a huge cucumber farm .
hmm,it's nice sha
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by IgboSomalia: 11:30pm On Nov 05, 2020
Charleys:

Of what use is rain if it falls on muddy soil?

Until you can turn the rainfall into food, you would keep depending on others to feed you.
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Coneheadyutes(m): 11:33pm On Nov 05, 2020
NNEWIsuper:

Come and see big cucumbers in the east.. We have very fat cucumbers that no gal can ever try to use to Masturbate.. Lol

Chai grin

1 Like

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2020
IgboSomalia:

Of what use is rain if it falls on muddy soil?

Until you can turn the rainfall into food, you would keep depending on others to feed you.

Are you kidding, where in Nigeria have muddy soil?
Stop believing in stereotypes.
The only thing I noticed is red soil, only Enugu has red soil. Whereas the whole of south west have red soil.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Veqtor: 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2020
Very commendable.

Southerners are now rearing cows too.

Tomato and onion farms are now sprouting out everywhere.

We have better soil...we can do it.

2 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by IgboSomalia: 11:39pm On Nov 05, 2020
Charleys:

Are you kidding, where in Nigeria have muddy soil?
Stop believing in stereotypes.
The only thing I noticed is red soil, only Enugu has red soil. Whereas the whole of south west have red soil.

Muddy soil has almost washed Anambra from here to Equatorial Guinea. Imo is heavily affected, Enugu is a disaster.

Until Igbos can deploy Igboland's resources to feed within Igboland, it would always be dependent and subservient.

2 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by primestreams: 11:41pm On Nov 05, 2020
I don't know but why do I keep hearing rice and onion beans don't grow in the south

I still wonder why we are more interested on only cassava

2 Likes

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 11:44pm On Nov 05, 2020
Veqtor:
Very commendable.

Southerners are now rearing cows too.

Tomato and onion farms are now sprouting out everywhere.

We have better soil...we can do it.

I've seen small like ranches in the east, but I think they are a kind of notice-me or what I'll refer to as eye service ranches because most of them were placed close to the road, it was like they were doing it to get loan from the government or so, at least that was what I was thinking.

It's commendable but I don't think the east have really gone far in rearing cattle. Secondly the cows I saw was the Igbo breed of cattle.

I was expecting to see Holstein Frisian cows or any other breed because private ranches have that type. I was expecting to see them because some years ago it was imported to Nigeria.

https://dailypost.ng/2018/06/22/nigerian-govt-impregnate-cows-imported-semen/

I'm not sure if it went through.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 11:52pm On Nov 05, 2020
IgboSomalia:

Muddy soil has almost washed Anambra from here to Equatorial Guinea. Imo is heavily affected, Enugu is a disaster.

Until Igbos can deploy Igboland's resources to feed within Igboland, it would always be dependent and subservient.

Guy Google the causes of mud, you'll know it's due to rainfall. I'll post a little here Mud is soil, loam, silt or clay mixed with water. It usually forms after rainfall.

There is nothing like muddy soil, it forms after rainfall. Read up on it.

So I'm right when I say the south east experience more rain than south west.
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by IgboSomalia: 11:57pm On Nov 05, 2020
Charleys:

Guy Google the causes of mud, you'll know it's due to rainfall. I'll post a little here Mud is soil, loam, silt or clay mixed with water. It usually forms after rainfall.

There is nothing like muddy soil, it forms after rainfall. Read up on it.

So I'm right when I say the south east experience more rain than south west.

The rainfall experienced by the East, of what benefit is it it it can't be turned to food? Or when you're hungry, you drink rain water?
Ordinary scarcity of onions, the entire Alaigbo is complaining.

Go to Ekwulobia and see what mud plus rainfall causes.

1 Like

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 11:58pm On Nov 05, 2020
IgboSomalia:

The rainfall experienced by the East, of what benefit is it it it can't be turned to food? Or when you're hungry, you drink rain water?

So are you telling me that there are no farms in the east?
Is there no erosion in osun state? Or do they also drink water when they're hungry?

Have you been to Oyo town? The main Oyo main town where accommodation is very cheap? Do you see the erosion there

1 Like

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Veqtor: 11:58pm On Nov 05, 2020
Charleys:

I've seen small like ranches in the east, but I think they are a kind of notice-me ranch because most of them were placed close to the road, it was like they were doing it to get loan from the government or so, at least that was what I was thinking.

It's commendable but I don't think the east have really gone far in rearing cattle. Secondly the cows I saw was the Igbo breed of cattle.

I was expecting to see Holstein Frisian cows or any other breed because private ranches have that type. I was expecting to see them because some years ago it was imported to Nigeria.

https://dailypost.ng/2018/06/22/nigerian-govt-impregnate-cows-imported-semen/

I'm not sure if it went through.

Yea. Holstein frisian were imported but trust Nigeria nw.... I won't be surprised if one senator has eaten the cows.

A country that was not ashamed to say that their satellite went missing in space..can't b taken seriously.

Well.. the good thing is that, the South has started...it might be little now but in the long run, more nd more people will delve into farming.

1 Like

Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by IgboSomalia: 12:01am On Nov 06, 2020
Charleys:

So are you telling me that there are no farms in the east?
Is there no erosion in osun state?

There are farms. Rice is planted in Abakaliki. Obiano also signed some useless MOUs. Yet, North East produces more rice than the entire Alaigbo.

Apart from vegetables, Cassava and cocoyam, everything eaten in the East is brought in from outside.
Re: Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber by Charleys: 12:03am On Nov 06, 2020
IgboSomalia:

There are farms. Rice is planted in Abakaliki. Obiano also signed some useless MOUs. Yet, North East produces more rice than the entire Alaigbo.

Apart from vegetables, Cassava and cocoyam, everything eaten in the East is brought in from outside.

So na rice be your problem all these while? Is it everywhere you plant rice?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Charcoal Export Business And Investment /partnership / 75,000 Wheat Farmers To Benefit From Cbn’s Loan – Official / Distress Sale Farmland’s for sale in Abeokuta Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.