Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves (4019 Views)

What Professional Skill Will Be In HOT DEMAND 2016 / Civil Servants Demand N46, 000 Minimum Wage / List of Companies That Promote Staff Welfare And Treat Them Well (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by determined: 9:05am On Jun 27, 2007
What's the big deal anyway with 2.1 and 2.2?

I know some first class materials that can't even write a memo and a lot of 2.2 graduates who are more intelligent than the 2.1's. if you ask me, i think companies that demand for 2.1's are limiting themselves.

What do you guys think?
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by fabiyi: 9:24am On Jun 27, 2007
Hi determined,

I am sorry if my post sound insultive to you, but I think you people should please let us rest about this issue of first class, upper, lower and HND. We have heard lots and we are tired of hearing anymore.

This is a wonderful forum met for job search not to start descriminating against one another afterall, somewhere somehow, we all have those that have either 2.2 or HND as our relations and we all need ourselves.

The issue of unemployment is a global problem and our leaders are compounding the whole matters. So let us continue praying and hope for the best.

Best regards!!!!!
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Bensogie(m): 10:03am On Jun 27, 2007
Hello Determined,
  I feel u,because i made a 2:2, but i think this whole thin has been over floged. please, lets keep praying that God will help us to secure the jobs of our dreams.
WHEN 1 WAY CLOSE,ANOTHER 1 GO OPEN! grin
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by abode(m): 10:11am On Jun 27, 2007
I am really disappointed in the way ppl on this forum out of frustration are blindfolded about grades, It is true some ppl got this grades out of fraud, But ordinarily lets talk about those that got this grades genuinely; it is a known fact that 2.1 products are academically sound than those of 2.2, So way the beef, If u can adequately defend it, Like the oda guys said we all have those with 2.1, 2.2 and even 3rd class products as family members, So way the fuss, I'm gettin tired of all this beef,diss and all,
Lets grow up,

1 Like

Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by deor03(m): 10:38am On Jun 27, 2007
hi abode,

i guess you really do not know why some companies insist on 2.1 & first class. These companies want to limit the number of applications their H.R will handle. Afterall most nigerian graduates learn the skill to work at their place of work not what they learnt in school.

Some companies don't bother themselves so much about grades but you will find out that "man know man" will most likely be their mode of employment. If you have had the oppurtunity of posting a job on the internet, you will be overwhelmed with the number of responces you will get in two day, talkless of two weeks.

so don't blame them they just want the number of qualified people reduced, so that they can try to handle them
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by iyken(m): 11:17am On Jun 27, 2007
Guys, i think its time we learn to take the bull by the horn.Why 2.1 or First Class by Companies? Its simple, they are smarter with 0.09% error magin.True, some 2.2s or 3rd Class could turn out better within the 0.09% range.(Encyclopedia Britannica)
Our poise? To aspire within these hot brackets if still students Or Pick learnings in positioning for a better tommorow.
No hard Feelings House. wink
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by droopydeep(m): 12:25pm On Jun 27, 2007
iyken:

Guys, i think its time we learn to take the bull by the horn.Why 2.1 or First Class by Companies? Its simple, they are smarter with 0.09% error margin.True, some 2.2s or 3rd Class could turn out better within the 0.09% range.(Encyclopedia Britannica)
Our poise? To aspire within these hot brackets if still students Or Pick learnings in positioning for a better tomorrow.
No hard Feelings House. wink
I agree with iyken and abode, ,
I think these grade classifications are there for a purpose, it is not a Nigerian initiative, it used all over the world, so we should not fuss over it,
Though there can be some vagaries
For instance,.I have a friend that Graduated with a GPA of 3.48 and another with 3.51, definitely they are of the same I.Q level,
So all we need to do is to be prayerful,
God will place us in our area of success
No hard feelings GUYZ grin
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by adegeorge(m): 12:47pm On Jun 27, 2007
personally i would not want to castigate companies that recruit 2.1 graduates. i think the nature of their jobs actually calls for it .as a corporate organisations CEO i would also want nothing but the best hands on deck to forsee the smooth running of my of my organisation. as such i think the emphasis on 2.1 is not too over stressed.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by bfree(m): 12:48pm On Jun 27, 2007
hello all,

i technically and mutually agree with the contributions all this important topic sofa in this forum.  the whole issue is we Nigerian graduates are very brilliant if we are put to test we can adjust to any situation that comes our way.

do not really mind employers that insist on high flayers it is not their fault like someone rightly put, they are only limiting the work of their HR people.

I think our government has a lot to do in terms of job creation and youth empowerment so as reduce the issue of 2.1,2.2 ,3 or 1st class even Hnd.

Let me share my experience with you, i have a friend who is a sierra leonean he came over to Nigeria last year and we got together in an on the job training. This guy said in Sierra leone, the country is between 3 to 4 million in population and they have as at then 1 college of technology for technical degrees,  23 of them graduated from elect/elect my point is before graduation job choices and options have been waiting for them and i think this guy did not get a 2.1.

Nigeria is a big country and our resources can take care of all even those that didnt go to school, my advice is let us pray for better days in our land and massive industrialization and good labour policies and come back and tell me if employers will not recruit graduates and train them on-the-job to be productive instead of waiting endlessly for 2.1 and 1st class.

Nigeria is one of those country where some companys we recruit indians or asians and prefer them to training their own country people no wonder that we have a lot of hostage taking in the niger delta,

i go rest here i beg!!! cool
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Dynast(m): 12:53pm On Jun 27, 2007
Emphasis shuld placed on not only on grades but backed by technical know how or rather practicals demonstration of grades obtained or even better practical competence compared to the grade obtained
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Aproko(f): 12:57pm On Jun 27, 2007
they are not limiting themselves, just the number of applications they have to deal with.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Maneater1(f): 1:27pm On Jun 27, 2007
Just curious, so does this mean those that fall under the 2.2 and 3rd class are to be left unemployed since they are the undesirables? now we know why so many people are unemployed in nigeria.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Christino(m): 1:30pm On Jun 27, 2007
And where the heck is david? angry
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by tonib(f): 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2007
well, just like someone said earlier, i think those companies just want to reduce the number of candidates their hr will deal with and even in some cases,those companies just say that but behind doors, they are accepting pple that came out with a 2.2. i just believe that everybody can make it and we shld pray that God shld help us locate where we blong
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by JJay1(m): 2:46pm On Jun 27, 2007
Man-eater (f)

Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves
« #11 on: Today at 01:27:10 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just curious, so does this mean those that fall under the 2.2 and 3rd class are  to be left unemployed since they are the undesirables? now we know why so many people are unemployed in nigeria.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesnt mean they will be left unemployed, it means they have to queue behind those wh pull their weight in school. Or they go and get extra studies to be able to compete in a tight labour market.

What is the point of working so hard in school to make a 1st or 2:1 if it wont mean anything in entering employment ladder. Think about it.
This is not perculiar to Naija, most FTSE/NYSE Fortune 500 companies would not take you with anything less than a 2:1

------------------------
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Ezinwannem: 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2007
If I may ask, do they ask the same ppl who studied abraod about 2:1 etc cuz i dont understand da gra gra about this whole thing
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by nossycheek(f): 4:00pm On Jun 27, 2007
When some guys were in school, they felt contended belonging to USA (Unserious Students Association) and now they are castigating the top fliers. They were also contended with their gentleman result, saying that it all depends on whom you know. Have their contacts all died? If it was that easy to earn 1st class, 2.1 etc, why didn't they make it?

See me see wahala.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by nossycheek(f): 4:02pm On Jun 27, 2007
Christino:

Nad where do you think he should be? embarassed
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by chichi4: 4:13pm On Jun 27, 2007
hello pls does have an idea of companies that employ 3rd class gradutes.PLs I need to know.tkns
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by chichi4: 4:15pm On Jun 27, 2007
hello pls does anyone have an idea of companies that employ 3rd class gradutes.PLs I need to know.tkns
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by JJay1(m): 5:04pm On Jun 27, 2007
chichi4

Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves
« #19 on: Today at 04:15:18 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello please does anyone have an idea of companies that employ 3rd class gradutes.PLs I need to know.tkns

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try the mechanic shop by the roadside, they might recruit 3rd class graduates cry

On a more serious note, if you want good employment I suggest you go back to school to erase the 3rd class. Unles your dad is the MD, no tp company will take you in fpr a serious job

To the guy that asked if they asked those who schooled abroad for 2:1. If they want to work in Europe, yes. If it is in Nigeria, you cant compare 2:2 from an average Uni in UK to the 2:1 form the best in Naija. The employers know this thats why they will prefer to take on 2:2 for US/Europe compared to the Nigerian contemporaries
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Blue2(m): 5:09pm On Jun 27, 2007
u can't blame the companies for putting the 2-1 clause. the number of applicants looking for job is outrageous. and teh first place to wither down people is by their grade. then other level of testing follows as required by the employer. i made a 2-2 i no dey beff those wey make 2-1, na market wey dey saturated na im dey cause all this wahala.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by bfree(m): 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2007
If it is in Nigeria, you can't compare 2:2 from an average Uni in UK to the 2:1 form the best in Naija. The employers know this thats why they will prefer to take on 2:2 for US/Europe compared to the Nigerian contemporaries

My guy is there 2.2 in uk and us 3.5 or above why do you deceive yourself those that schooled abroad are only exposed to more studying materials thats all

An average nija boy with 2.2 or 3rd class gets to US or UK will surely dust any of their contemporaries. if they are serious to their studies.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 27, 2007
Christino:

my brother i dey kampe. Just reading the thread and liking the practical and reasonable responses i am reading so far. I will give my own input later. grin
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by mddude(m): 5:40pm On Jun 27, 2007
This is so funny it is untrue. By the way I came out with a 2.1 Electrical Engineering from OAU, Ife. A lot of the jobs in Nigeria especially the bank jobs are done by guys that are HIGH SCHOOL GRAD in the places like US. Even some of the IT jobs are done by guys who hardly pass their GED (equiv of WAEC) but pick up some of the skill set over time. At least some of the guys finish colleges in naija, a lot of the Nigerian jobs are not even meant for a 2.1 or a first class.

I have a double masters (MS and MBA) and I work under a director here that all she had a was a Bachelor in Business Admin and she is the head of a IT division in a corporation that generates over $3billion dollars annually. make u sit down dia and dey talk of grade - By the way having a first class doesnt make youa  better corporate worker - you might be better as a researcher and dont fit into the corporate world
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by mddude(m): 5:49pm On Jun 27, 2007
bfree:

If it is in Nigeria, you can't compare 2:2 from an average Uni in UK to the 2:1 form the best in Naija. The employers know this thats why they will prefer to take on 2:2 for US/Europe compared to the Nigerian contemporaries

My guy is there 2.2 in uk and us 3.5 or above why do you deceive yourself those that schooled abroad are only exposed to more studying materials thats all

An average nija boy with 2.2 or 3rd class gets to US or UK will surely dust any of their contemporaries. if they are serious to their studies.

You cant compare Nigerian university to what obtains abroad and I think that is the reason a lot of people will take a degree from abroad to Nigeria's. One, US dont use the first class/second class stuff, if you are over 3.5/4 you are regraded as graduated Cum laude. Two, people her are more interested in what you actually know and not what your degree say per se.

In Nigeria, we just get to learn the theory with no practical application and even worse no apllication based on our environmental situation. In the Us and in the west generally, you can have a degree in IT and walk out and fit into directly into the marketplace. I remmeber being taught Fortran 77 in Ife in 95 I dont know what I would do with Fortran coming out of college. Most MBA student scenarios are real life scenarios that apply to corporation directly and most of the guys that are teaching you have real life situation. that is why you will see a government official that have a meritous service sometimes going back to teach in College.

Emphasis is more on overall development here and not just passing exam. I schooled in both systems and I prefer the system here - even though I wasnt a slouch when I schooled in Nigeria
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Everbright(f): 6:04pm On Jun 27, 2007
Even the ones that made 2.1,have they all been employed
I was at UNILAG the other day for LNG test,bet me over 60,000 Nigerian 2.1 graduates whose surnames begin with the letter O were at my own centre and I understood  that there were so many of such centres.
Only God can help us sad
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Ezinwannem: 7:20pm On Jun 27, 2007
@md_dude , I totally agree with everything you have outlined above. A topic like this have been discussed before and I voiced out my voice regarding this issue and I will say it again.

I understand other people's point of view especially when it comes to this 1st class and 2:1 In nigeria as companies wants to cut down on people coming for an internview per se. But the thing is that we know Nigerian system where you wont step into da class and get a 1st class. Dont mind me, there are people for sure who makes that on merit. They have to find a way of screening people for interviews. My mom just connected someone who finished with HND to my uncle's Stock Exchange firm, my uncle is testifying that the guy is the best in terms of knowing what he is doing. My mom does not know the guy from Adams just that she saw his uncle complaning cuz of hardship in their family and decided to help. There would have been a possiblity that if the guy applied by himself without reference 4rom my mom, he would have been disappointed.

Now, coming to abraod's case, as md_dude has already outlined, employers are not looking at anything but the knowledge you have. In most cases wen they require your transcript is to know whether you have completed a certain course like they did to my friend. Hez not an A student or anything but wen he handed in his transcrupt as required, he got the job , he is working there now (govt. job) and his graduation is in oct. sef,

This is what many of Nigerian internatiomal students abraod are not getting, still have the mentality of my father is diz and dat, I know alot of dem dat wen given an assignment that pay tutors to do it for dem as most of dem fo Economics
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Pain(m): 8:48pm On Jun 27, 2007
Much of university teaching in Nigeria is based on traditional pedagogy and conventional curricula, and does not even meet the government’s own standards in these areas.
In today’s world, the content and method of Nigerian university teaching is often outdated, not responsive to employers’ requirements, and disconnected from the labor market. shocked angry

Labor market demand for degree-based professional skills centers largely in engineering, business administration, health services, accounting and marketing. However, 49% of the supply of graduates produced by federal universities was concentrated in Arts, Education, Law and Social Sciences.

The mismatch is clear. angry

Likewise, i[b]ts research output is extremely low and unable to prompt innovation-based productivity gains[/b]. (When How many Papers Do Our So Called Professors Publish in A Year? Do They Feature in Any Popular Academic Journal?) shocked

Check This Out:

On the research side, Nigeria's number of scientific publications for 1995 was 711 – significantly less than its output of 1,062 scientific publications in 1981 by a comparatively much smaller university system (TASK FORCE 2000).

In contrast, scientific publications were 3,413 for South Africa, 14,883 for India, 310 for Indonesia, and 5,440 for Brazil (TASK FORCE 2000). The country’s low research output probably reflects the low priority accorded to research and development by government decision-makers. For example, Nigeria's federal university system spends only 1.3% of its budget on research (HARTNETT 2000).

cry cry

To increase the relevance and effectiveness of teaching and research, classroom dynamics may need to focus more on student learning performance, academic programs could seek stronger linkages with employers, and universities might pursue knowledge coalitions with other institutions that possess a comparative advantage in aspects of teaching and research.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by nuttyangel: 9:57am On Jun 28, 2007
Priorities differ for the many employers in nigeria. Companies should determine what qualities are important to them.

A company like Procter& Gamble does not give a shit about what u obtained in school. 1st class has no advantage over 3rd class. rather they look how many activities you were involved in school, and the role u played in those groups;if u were president, vice president, treasurer, etc. they believe the exposure to leadership positions early in life helps one in people management, builds communication skills and team spirit .

These qualities i belive are what companies look for and you dont develop them studying 24 hrs a day neither do they evolve overnight after u have ur 1st class or 2.1.
A graduate who spends 90% of his time studying and makes a gp of 3.75 is less productive than one who spends 30% studying and make 3.48.

ask yourself , how many of the best students both in secondary school and in university had good social and communication skills.
I believe these companies should srtike a balance about what they want, and how best to go about it.

To undergraduates, try to involve yourself in many social clubs and activities, take up active roles in them because all these things matter. and some employers recognise their importance.
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Lexyl(m): 10:23am On Jun 28, 2007
Hey Guys,
I really understand your plight. To be honest with you guys are all right in your own. I would like you to understand that, so many factors has influence these, first class, 2.1, BSc and HND.
I came out with 2.2 from a reputable University in Nigeria 2002. i didn,t get a Job. At First, i got one man business job. I did it for a year and i resigned because i know i don,t have future there. But, i had to move on. Anytime, i applied for a job i don,t get response. Then, i know if i have to move on in life. i will have to work out somethings. I pray ask God what could be done. I don,t have 2.2 but i have succeed in life. I went into business, to be honest with you, am doing very well. I met the intrisinc and extrinsic parameters. If you don,t get a job employ yourself in a more positive way.
2.2 and 3 class are getting jobs to be honest, how they do it i don,t know, If you want to continue searching for job continue, if you really want to make it in life think deeply, solution will definitely come. Am not from a rich home, i did not inherit wealth but i put my brain to work. you do better than me and anybody at the upper class.
Thanks
Lexyl
Re: Companies That Demand 2.1's Are Limiting Themselves by Ezinwannem: 3:24pm On Jun 28, 2007
@nuttyangel , u made a very good point about social life etc, people need to be involved with their school clubs esp. one that relates to your club, even now in school, my Nigerian friends thinks am wasting my time joining and participating in this associations, all that matters to them is the only Nigerian students' association that we formed.

As for me, I know what it is to be involved esp. a way of volunteering, I am currently an AMBASSADOR for my school and A UN MODEL delegate and we go 2 skools 4 debates like Mcgill in Montral Canada, Havard in Boston and diz year, it will be Mexico for the world one. These are just a few am imvolved with couple with clubs and my articles that get published online,

So, people utilize this opportunity while still in school

(1) (2) (Reply)

... / Found New Hot Ninja Job Site / Custom N NSDC Currently Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.