Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) (2291 Views)

Hard Starting On 2009 Honda Accord / I Do Not Trust The Cooling System Of My New Lexus ES350. / VSC System Malfunction In Toyota Highlander 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 1:35pm On Nov 08, 2020
Good afternoon,

A friend of mine uses Toyota corrola 2009, his radiator burst about a month ago, he managed it to mechanic (his mistake). The mechanic told him the gasket was burnt, so he changed it and the top cylinder was grinded(according to him). Fan connected to run direct.

The car last week while I was driving had its temperature to the roof(pictures attached). Noticed the water on the radiator dirty (no coolant), then mechanic asked to remove the thermostat, I allowed him(I noticed the thermostat was dirty, the mechanic said it was bad). We flushed the radiator and put clean water. I noticed the car temperature was still at the middle as though the fan wasn't connected directly. They told me it was normal (my mind wasn't settled).
He just called me now that the car is doing overheating, he had to park.

Please what could be the issue

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 1:37pm On Nov 08, 2020
The check engine is catalyst missing, he can't access where the car can be scanned right now

Cc
Gazzuzz
Sultaan
Nurey
Zimdrill
9icetoo
Egunmogaji2
Inception
And others please help
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by naijadrivablog: 2:28pm On Nov 08, 2020
Wahala for who no de observe common safety precautions. I am sure that Toyota Owner's manual would advise that if your temperature is high, park and allow engine to cool. Call a qualified (here we have Kazeems) Toyota Technician to check its out.

2 Likes

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Mrford(m): 4:23pm On Nov 08, 2020
DGD1:
Good afternoon,

A friend of mine uses Toyota corrola 2009, his radiator burst about a month ago, he managed it to mechanic (his mistake). The mechanic told him the gasket was burnt, so he changed it and the top cylinder was grinded(according to him). Fan connected to run direct.

The car last week while I was driving had its temperature to the roof(pictures attached). Noticed the water on the radiator dirty (no coolant), then mechanic asked to remove the thermostat, I allowed him(I noticed the thermostat was dirty, the mechanic said it was bad). We flushed the radiator and put clean water. I noticed the car temperature was still at the middle as though the fan wasn't connected directly. They told me it was normal (my mind wasn't settled).

It's unfortunate most of this mechanics don't know how the cooling system of a car operates. The only thing they know is to remove thermostat and connect fan direct.

You problem is likely a bad radiator.

Chat me on whatsapp when ever you are with the car let me help you out.

1 Like

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Elsueno: 5:09pm On Nov 08, 2020
Corrola, D strongest and most reliable car ever made, according to nairaland Japonicas and bandwagon Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by nurey(m): 5:23pm On Nov 08, 2020
DGD1:
The check engine is catalyst missing, he can't access where the car can be scanned right now

And others please help

You don't need scanning you have a cooling system failure and probably compression and other things have been affected
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Gravatar: 5:34pm On Nov 08, 2020
EIsueno:
Corrola, D strongest and most reliable car ever made, according to nairaland Japonicas and bandwagon Nigerians.

What a clever guy

You must really be hurt, for you to type all this nonsense and go away feeling fulfilled

What have you achieved here? How have you helped the OP?

If we check now, you drive a 1999 Mercedes, and you're here shouting Corolla up and down like a rabid canine

Go and suffer in silence, and let brave people receive the help they need

12 Likes

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Gravatar: 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2020
nurey:

You don't need scanning you have a cooling system failure and probably compression and other things have been affected

@OP, heed this, that cooling system needs to be torn down and rebuilt with good OEM parts

Also, and most importantly, change that mechanic

5 Likes

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:07pm On Nov 08, 2020
DGD1:
Good afternoon,

Check if the radiator is a single cell or double cell. If it's a single cell, buy a new radiator which is a double cell and thank me later.
My kid brother just had the same issue. Exactly like yours. Jasket got burnt too. The most annoying is that his car is a tokunbo! That issue jejely welcomed him to the car users world. Lol
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 8:17pm On Nov 08, 2020
Mrford:

It's unfortunate most of this mechanics don't know how the cooling system of a car operates. The only thing they know is to remove thermostat and connect fan direct.

You problem is likely a bad radiator.

Chat me on whatsapp when ever you are with the car let me help you out.

Thanks,I will reach out
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 8:17pm On Nov 08, 2020
Gravatar:

@OP, heed this, that cooling system needs to be torn down and rebuilt with good OEM parts

Also, and most importantly, change that mechanic

Thank you so much
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 8:18pm On Nov 08, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Check if the radiator is a single cell or double cell. If it's a single cell, buy a new radiator which is a double cell and thank me later.
My kid brother just had the same issue. Exactly like yours. Jasket got burnt too. The most annoying is that his car is a tokunbo! That issue jejely welcomed him to the car users world. Lol

It is still stock single cell...

Ok boss
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 8:19pm On Nov 08, 2020
naijadrivablog:
Wahala for who no de observe common safety precautions. I am sure that Toyota Owner's manual would advise that if your temperature is high, park and allow engine to cool. Call a qualified (here we have Kazeems) Toyota Technician to check its out.

The mistake
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by kingreign(m): 9:16pm On Nov 08, 2020
Elsueno:

What have you achieved or gained by spewing this bullocks?

The last time I checked, this corolla is way more valuable and reliable than your peugeot. Argue with your keyboard.

1 Like

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:18pm On Nov 08, 2020
DGD1:

It is still stock single cell...

Ok boss
That's the issue. Change the radiator to double cell.
We bought it 19k 2 days ago
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:20pm On Nov 08, 2020
DGD1:
Good afternoon,

your car is already butchered

let me tell you what was meant to done done when the burst

1 usually its the is pipes aka rubber hoses that burst not radiator, radiator normally starts as leak, and that leak with time then burst meaning someone was ignoring the leaks aka those are the signs to say why am i loosing coolant

2 how long did the car drive from the moment it burst to the point it burnt the headgasket? lets assume that the owner drive it 30 miles with knowing aka no signs from dashaboard or not being aware while the sign is there on the dashboard

3 lets say the owner stopped the moment they noticed the burst and the car was never driven but got fixed aka replacing the radiator or fixed the burst hose/pipe this procedure of BLEEDING was supposed to be followed otherwise trapped air will burn the headgasket
(a) start the car
(b) top up the coolant be straight via radiator cap or expansion tank these differ from car to car
(c) turn on the HEATING SYSTEM in cabin to high/maxi temperature and fan speed to high too (remember is HEATING SYSTEM not air con nigerians you love your AC grin grin grin grin grin)s
(d) follow the bleeding procedure as per manufacture, same car have a bleed nipple some dont have a bleeding holes
(e) while bleeding check if the cabin is getting heat and to its maximum
(f) if there is not heating in the cabin it means there is still lots of air pockets in system keep on bleeding
(h) once the system is air free the cabin heating should be hot even the bleeding nipple/hole will show you by having continious flow of coolant

what is bleeding, it is a procedure to take off trapped air from a pressurised system, in the event that a pressurised system is broken and put back together there is air trapped in the system that air needs to push put if you dont it is that air that will burn your gasket becoz the area it occupies it should coolant all the way, remember air doesnt cool anything, therefore instead of smooth flow of coolant there are pockets of air in that pressurised system and the gasket get burnt

so i suspect that your car wasnt bled and also no headgasket was changed, and a proper mechanic who know how to change a headgasket should know how to bleed a car coolant system

Each time a car has a headgasket change, bleeding should be gone otherwise the car will come back with same overheating problem

People take off the thermostat to hide away overheating or a burnt headgasket, without a thermostat your cooling system is not fully pressurised therefor you wont notice that the headgasket is gone

3 Likes

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:33pm On Nov 08, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

That's the issue. Change the radiator to double cell.
We bought it 19k 2 days ago

thats a lie single or double wont solve an overheating issue

overheating via radiator faulty can only be caused by a radiator which block meaning a hot coolant is not being able to pass through blocked radiator to be cooled

whether single or not if the radiator is able to let coolant pass through to cool then the car is supposed to self regulate its self via thermostat unless eg internally coolant is able to pass through but outside the radiator fin are covered eg by mud meaning the outside of the radiator is not able to cool the coolant because the surface of the radiator is blood by mud

double cell cools faster than single cell thats all, but if your car cant cool with a single it doesnt mean is the single cell problem, there is more to it than the single cell radiator fault, car manufacturer spend billion on research, would thing they would miss a that this car need double cell radiator

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

thats a lie single or double wont solve an overheating issue

overheating via radiator faulty can only be caused by a radiator which block meaning a hot coolant is not being able to pass through blocked radiator to be cooled

whether single or not if the radiator is able to let coolant pass through to cool then the car is supposed to self regulate its self via thermostat unless eg internally coolant is able to pass through but outside the radiator fin are covered eg by mud meaning the outside of the radiator is not able to cool the coolant because the surface of the radiator is blood by mud

double cell cools faster than single cell thats all, but if your car cant cool with a single it doesnt mean is the single cell problem, there is more to it than the single cell radiator fault, car manufacturer spend billion on research, would thing they would miss a that this car need double cell radiator
Everyone is changing their radiator to double cell and if you take a single cell radiator to the market, no one will take it from you even if it's brand new. Ask yourself why.
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:14pm On Nov 08, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

1 usually its the is pipes aka rubber hoses that burst not radiator, radiator normally starts as leak, and that leak with time then burst meaning someone was ignoring the leaks aka those are the signs to say why am i loosing coolant

2 how long did the car drive from the moment it burst to the point it burnt the headgasket? lets assume that the owner drive it 30 miles with knowing aka no signs from dashaboard or not being aware while the sign is there on the dashboard

3 lets say the owner stopped the moment they noticed the burst and the car was never driven but got fixed aka replacing the radiator or fixed the burst hose/pipe this procedure of BLEEDING was supposed to be followed otherwise trapped air will burn the headgasket
(a) start the car
(b) top up the coolant be straight via radiator cap or expansion tank these differ from car to car
(c) turn on the HEATING SYSTEM in cabin to high/maxi temperature and fan speed to high too (remember is HEATING SYSTEM not air con nigerians you love your AC grin grin grin grin grin)s
(d) follow the bleeding procedure as per manufacture, same car have a bleed nipple some dont have a bleeding holes
(e) while bleeding check if the cabin is getting heat and to its maximum
(f) if there is not heating in the cabin it means there is still lots of air pockets in system keep on bleeding
(h) once the system is air free the cabin heating should be hot even the bleeding nipple/hole will show you by having continious flow of coolant

what is bleeding, it is a procedure to take off trapped air from a pressurised system, in the event that a pressurised system is broken and put back together there is air trapped in the system that air needs to push put if you dont it is that air that will burn your gasket becoz the area it occupies it should coolant all the way, remember air doesnt cool anything, therefore instead of smooth flow of coolant there are pockets of air in that pressurised system and the gasket get burnt

so i suspect that your car wasnt bled and also no headgasket was changed, and a proper mechanic who know how to change a headgasket should know how to bleed a car coolant system

Each time a car has a headgasket change, bleeding should be gone otherwise the car will come back with same overheating problem

People take off the thermostat to hide away overheating or a burnt headgasket, without a thermostat your cooling system is not fully pressurised therefor you wont notice that the headgasket is gone
See story...
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:42pm On Nov 08, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Everyone is changing their radiator to double cell and if you take a single cell radiator to the market, no one will take it from you even if it's brand new. Ask yourself why.

it doesnt matter whether everyone is doing it, that doesnt make it the right way

its like going to a doctor and you tell the doctor about your breathing problem and the doctor say s/he has change your nose from two nostrils to 4 nostrils

the problem is not the nostrils there is more deeper inner problem that is causing the problem

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:50pm On Nov 08, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

See story...

And ?

i covered every corner

alot investigating when dealing with a overheated headgasket

1 was the head wrapped?

2 was the grinding aka (skiming the head) done by a machine or just eye inspection and do it by hand

3 was the torque done stage by stage to the right spec ?
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:21pm On Nov 08, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

it doesnt matter whether everyone is doing it, that doesnt make it the right way

its like going to a doctor and you tell the doctor about your breathing problem and to doctor has change your nose from two nostrils to 4 nostrils

the problem is not the nostrils there is more deeper inner problem that is causing the problem
Well, I'm not sure. Just based my assumption on what works for us. My brother that I cited hasn't complained since we changed the radiator.
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:01am On Nov 09, 2020
Gravatar:

What a clever guy

You must really be hurt, for you to type all this nonsense and go away feeling fulfilled

What have you achieved here? How have you helped the OP?

If we check now, you drive a 1999 Mercedes, and you're here shouting Corolla up and down like a rabid canine

Go and suffer in silence, and let brave people receive the help they need

1999 Peugeot. Which is a lot worse when you think about it.

3 Likes

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by 9icetoo(m): 9:28am On Nov 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I have not changed my radiator to double cell. My car is yet to overheat.
Two things I can deduce from what the op posted.
1. The radiator blocked which led to the radiator hose bursting
2. The owner has been using tap water or borehole water high in dissolved mineral content. That is why the thermostat looked dirty.
Those minerals (calcium, iron etc) precipitate out of the water and deposit themselves in the radiator passages during the repeated cycles of heating and cooling. This blocks the radiator over time.

The owner should
1. pressure test the system for any other leaks. Fix those leaks first.
2. Flush the entire cooling system.
3. Replace all coolant hoses except the 1/2 inch return to the coolant reservoir. (Since one failed, it is highly likely the other have been exposed to serious stress).
4. Install a new radiator (I don't care if it's single cell, double cell or 50 cell).
5. Install a new thermostat
6. Restore the fan system back to spec.
7. Use coolant or demineralized water to fill the cooling system.

All these on the premise that the gasket and sealing surfaces have not been damaged again in the recent overheat.

It takes a very prolonged period of overheat to warp a Corolla engine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by kingreign(m): 9:37am On Nov 09, 2020
Elsueno:

It's my bros Kingreign, one of the many mechanics that has grown rich from the gullibility of Japonica people in Nigeria . Enjoy ur life jare, nothing do you grin
I hope you know the gravity of the offense you're committing?
If it's joke, pls put an end to it.

CC: MARPOL, DOMINIQUE, MYND44

Rules #2 & #20 broken
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 12:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

Very informative, thanks alot
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

And ?

i covered every corner

alot investigating when dealing with a overheated headgasket

1 was the head wrapped?

2 was the grinding aka (skiming the head) done by a machine or just eye inspection and do it by hand

3 was the torque done stage by stage to the right spec ?

Boss,
You know so much, I really appreciate sharing this
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 12:15pm On Nov 12, 2020
9icetoo:

I have not changed my radiator to double cell. My car is yet to overheat.
Two things I can deduce from what the op posted.
1. The radiator blocked which led to the radiator hose bursting
2. The owner has been using tap water or borehole water high in dissolved mineral content. That is why the thermostat looked dirty.
Those minerals (calcium, iron etc) precipitate out of the water and deposit themselves in the radiator passages during the repeated cycles of heating and cooling. This blocks the radiator over time.

The owner should
1. pressure test the system for any other leaks. Fix those leaks first.
2. Flush the entire cooling system.
3. Replace all coolant hoses except the 1/2 inch return to the coolant reservoir. (Since one failed, it is highly likely the other have been exposed to serious stress).
4. Install a new radiator (I don't care if it's single cell, double cell or 50 cell).
5. Install a new thermostat
6. Restore the fan system back to spec.
7. Use coolant or demineralized water to fill the cooling system.

All these on the premise that the gasket and sealing surfaces have not been damaged again in the recent overheat.

It takes a very prolonged period of overheat to warp a Corolla engine.

I used es300, now on es350
All on single cell radiator (not a fan of the double cell though).

1 Like

Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by DGD1(m): 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2020
I really appreciate the comments here, I've been busy with work. I've not seen the guy nor the car yet.
We spoke moments ago, the car had gadget burnt again, new mechanic told him the initial gasket was fake. Had to change it, but since then the car didn't overheat but the rev isn't stable.

He has abandoned the car now, I will have free time (next week) to help him check out the car putting all the aforementioned into consideration.

I will update when I get hold of the car.
Thanks again
Re: Cooling System Malfunction On 2009 Corrola(us) by adanny01(m): 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Please ask your self the question why toks as well as brand new cars in and out of the country almost never come with double cell radiator? These same cars are driven for years with out overheating until they arrive this country. Some of the countries these cars come from are even hotter than Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Native 32 Game Disc / Good Car Battery / Corolla 2010 Gear Delay Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.