Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses (261 Views)

Moscow Terrorist Appears In Court On A Stretcher After "Interrogation" (Pix,Vid) / Supreme Court Rejects GOP's Bid To Nullify Biden's Win In Pennsylvania / Esther Agbaje, Oye Owolewa, Nnamdi Chukwuocha Win In U.S 2020 Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses by 9jahotblog: 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2020
President Trump’s legal team is filing lawsuits in a number of states.

Some have better chances than others.

The best legal case scenario for President Trump’s legal team is if the election were to turn on Pennsylvania and he were to lose Pennsylvania by a small number of votes, reflecting ballots cast before or on Election Day, but received only after election day.

Those ballots are being counted by Pennsylvania officials and, pursuant to court order, are being segregated from other ballots for purposes of judicial review.

The reason is a highly technical, but important constitutional argument.

Article II of the Constitution empowers state legislatures to establish voting rules for the selection of presidential electors. It does not empower the courts to establish such rules.

In Pennsylvania, the legislature has not allowed the counting of write-in ballots submitted before the end of election day, but received thereafter.

This may be wrong as a matter of policy and democratic principles, since no one should be deprived of their vote through no fault of their own.

But the Constitution empowers state legislatures to be wrong as a matter of policy, and does not empower the state courts to correct them.

In Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98 (2000), the United States Supreme Court — in its notorious 5-4 partisan decision— pointed to that provision of the Constitution in stopping the recount.

At least three current justices have suggested that they are sympathetic to that view as well.

The Supreme Court divided 4-4 when a case presenting that issue came before the eight justices who were then sitting.

There is now a ninth justice who might well break that tie in favor of the president.

But for that scenario to occur, there would have to be a perfect storm in which the challenged Pennsylvania ballots were determinative of the outcome of the election.

That is possible, but unlikely. Indeed, even if the election were called in Biden’s favor as a result of Pennsylvania flipping away from President Trump, other states — Arizona, Nevada, or Georgia — could subsequently be called for Biden.

This would moot the Pennsylvania case, because Biden would have enough electoral votes without Pennsylvania to reach 270.

I am a lawyer who analyzes these constitutional issues without regard to my personal preference, party loyalty or vote. I do not allow wishful thinking to enter into my legal analysis.

The preceding legal scenario I have presented, therefore, represents my professional opinion as to President Trump’s chances in litigation.

Oliver Wendell Holmes once observed that the role of the lawyer is to predict what the courts will do. But Yogi Berra got it right when he said "Prediction is hard, especially about the future."

Let me add to Yogi Berra’s wisdom: Prediction is especially hard when it's about how judges will decide highly charged political cases.

No thoughtful person could have, or to my knowledge did, accurately predict the outcome of Bush v. Gore. That decision was a shocking departure from all prior precedent and is explainable only on partisan or ideological lines.

It had little or nothing to do with the law or precedent, as the justices themselves seemed to have acknowledged when they warned not to use the case as precedent in future litigations.

But, of course, it's precisely that case that is now being used as precedent for the Trump legal teams’ litigation moves.

So no one can be absolutely certain about how the courts will decide cases and controversies brought before them regarding the current election, especially since so many current federal judges were appointed by President Trump and confirmed by the Republican senate.

Stay tuned.

The counting of millions of votes may soon be over, but then we may be looking at the votes of just five people: the justices who could — should the stars align for President Trump — determine the outcome of this election as they did the election 20 years ago.

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/995641?section=alandershowitz&keywords=arizona-ballots-georgia-nevada&year=2020&month=11&date=05&id=995641&oref=

Re: Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses by 9jahotblog: 4:37pm On Nov 08, 2020
we hope for justice to take it course in US election. too much electoral malpractice is been recorded.

1 Like

Re: Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses by Righteousness89(m): 4:46pm On Nov 08, 2020
The US Election of this time should be the Strangest that has Happened in Modern times..

I am not Suprised because the times we live in are very Strange times..

The year 2020 itself has been a Strange year..

President Trump appointment as President in the Fuest place was a Strange and Unusual one that Crippled all Permutations and Expectations..

We are Witnessing a Strange President in strange times and in a Strange Election..

The Fact is , the Election is Far From Over..
Mr. Biden is Media Declared not United States of America Declared..

Until the Court Decide who Truly won the Election, President Trump remains President...

I saw the Speech of the Mexican and I saw a Wise Man..

1 Like

Re: Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses by Damikjay(m): 4:47pm On Nov 08, 2020
biden as won dis one.
if u are not happy about hold a prayer work for trump.
or better still protest and tell buhari

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Can Win In Court, Depending On Which States He Loses by Shelumiel: 8:53pm On Nov 08, 2020
Damikjay:
biden as won dis one.

if u are not happy about hold a prayer work for trump.

or better still protest and tell buhari
If things go according to plan, Trump will be reelected and Sleepy Joe will be wearing orange by Christmas.

(1) (Reply)

US Election: Biden Cries Out Over Denial Of Access To Fund, Security Briefing / ��� / 5 More Ways Joe Biden Magically Outperformed Election Norms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.