Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel (434 Views)

I Begged Him To Use Condom - Married Nurse Tells Lagos Court How She Was Raped / Lekki Shooting: I'm Not Dead - Lady Cries Out After Seeing Her 'RIP' Online / Agwu Abunike Narrate How SARS Detained Him For 48 Days To Lagos Panel Of Inquiry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by damilola4162(m): 11:08am On Nov 09, 2020
The 65 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, who were said to be involved in the shooting of unarmed protesters at the Lekki tollgate on Tuesday, October 20 as alleged that soldiers only fired blank ammunition at protesters.

This was contained in a petition submitted to the Judicial Panel inaugurated by the Government of Lagos state, the army insisted that no one was shot dead because the army only shot blank ammunition at the protesters.

Despite video evidence posted on social media, where the soldiers were seen shooting at protesters, killing and injuring sources of them, the Army representatives said they did not fire at the protesters.

In a petition obtained by the PUNCH, Brigadier Gen. Musa Etsu-Ndagi, Commander, 9 Brigade, Nigerian Army, said that he was Lagos state governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu informed him about shooting at Lekki Tollgate at about 7:30 pm, on Tuesday, October 20.

According to the Army officer, the governor told him certain "the Commanding officer of 65 Battalion, Bonny Camp, Victoria Island, Lt Col Bello" was shooting at Lekki tollgate where unarmed #EndSARS protesters were gathered.

Brigadier Gen. Etsu-Ndagi told the Judicial Panel that Mr. Bello told him that he only fired blank ammunition into the air and not at the protesters. Explaining what happened at Lekki tollgate said the Army said the soldiers had no reason to kill anyone, saying the protesters were even happy to see them that night.

Mr. Bello further explained that while he was approaching Lekki-Aja highway around 6.45 p.m., he heard gunshots before reaching the tollgate and saw that, “the crowd had turned from peaceful protesters to a mob, infiltrated by hoodlums.”

He told the Army authority the that, “the protesters were happy to see the soldiers at the tollgate,” saying that he(Mr. Bello) personally offered the protesters water and drinks while persuading them to go home and observe the 24-hour curfew declared by the Lagos State Government.
He said, “On getting to the tollgate, I persuaded the crowd to go home and observe the 24-hours curfew declared by the state government. But surprisingly, the hoodlums continued throwing stones, bottles, and other dangerous objects at us and were burning tires.

I again fired some blank ammunition upward to scare the hoodlums away. But some protesters who were still at the tollgate sitting down quietly were given water and drinks by me while pleading with them to go home.”

“We did not fire at the protesters. Blank ammunition was fired upward to scare the hoodlums from the crowd. Nobody was shot dead at the Lekki tollgate, there was no massacre as claimed. The claim that the military took away dead bodies was not true. The protesters were happy to see us as indicated in some of the video clips of 20th October 2020.”

The Army insisted that there was no massacre at Lekki tollgate on October 20, because life ammunition was not shot at protesters, while denying the claim that they took some dead bodies away.

However, many residents of Lekki who witnessed the incident said soldiers fired live ammunition at protesters killing and injuring many sources of them.

Pictures and videos from the shooting were also shared on the social media.

It would recall that the Nigerian Army initially denied present at Lekki tollgate plaza on October 20, let alone shooting at protesters but, governor Sanwo-Olu contradicted their claims during his speech on the incident, on Wednesday morning, where he blamed the attack on “forces beyond our direct control.”

The governor also claimed there were no fatalities during the attack which lasted for several, he latter said during his visit to the injured protesters at the hospital, two people were confirmed dead from the incident.

Brigadier Gen.Francis Omata, who is also an Army witness said the protests had already turned violent before they arrived at the at Lekki tollgate.

The army claimed that protesters sprint stones and broken bottles at them when they arrived at the tollgate, and that in response, all they did was fire blank ammunition into the air to disperse the crowd.

In his words: “On arrival at the tollgate at about 7.30pm, I met a rowdy situation. I also met the Commanding Officer, 65 Battalion (Bello), who briefed me on the situation.

He briefed me that he met a hostile crowd, hoodlums mixed with the protesters, who were chanting and throwing stones at them.

I was able to disperse the crowd by firing blank ammunition into the air.

“At this point, stones and sticks were being thrown at us. Then I moved to a safe area and briefed General Officer Commanding 81 Division, Maj Gen Godwin Ahamefuna Umelo by phone.

“The General Officer Commanding directed me to pacify the hostile crowd and move the troops back to base. However, the crowd still continued chanting #EndSARS. I then instructed the troops to withdraw to base.”

Source: https://insidenaija.com.ng/lekki-shooting-we-fired-blank-ammunition-army-tells-lagos-panel/

Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by nolywe(m): 11:17am On Nov 09, 2020
a
Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by YoonSung57: 11:17am On Nov 09, 2020
What nonsense are this people saying? So the people who died were fired blank bullets?

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by Brandonx(m): 11:19am On Nov 09, 2020
The truth is gradually coming out. Any sensible human can connect the dots right now.

1 Like

Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by Donspicey: 12:43pm On Nov 09, 2020
Wetin d panel expect dem to talk before.....
Kill and deny no dey hard NA......

Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by byinks(f): 3:21pm On Nov 09, 2020
YoonSung57:
What nonsense are this people saying? So the people who died were fired blank bullets?

There were too sets of shooters....the others came after the army left.
Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2020
damilola4162:
The 65 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, who were said to be involved in the shooting of unarmed protesters at the Lekki tollgate on Tuesday, October 20 as alleged that soldiers only fired blank ammunition at protesters.

This was contained in a petition submitted to the Judicial Panel inaugurated by the Government of Lagos state, the army insisted that no one was shot dead because the army only shot blank ammunition at the protesters.

Despite video evidence posted on social media, where the soldiers were seen shooting at protesters, killing and injuring sources of them, the Army representatives said they did not fire at the protesters.

In a petition obtained by the PUNCH, Brigadier Gen. Musa Etsu-Ndagi, Commander, 9 Brigade, Nigerian Army, said that he was Lagos state governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu informed him about shooting at Lekki Tollgate at about 7:30 pm, on Tuesday, October 20.

According to the Army officer, the governor told him certain "the Commanding officer of 65 Battalion, Bonny Camp, Victoria Island, Lt Col Bello" was shooting at Lekki tollgate where unarmed #EndSARS protesters were gathered.

Brigadier Gen. Etsu-Ndagi told the Judicial Panel that Mr. Bello told him that he only fired blank ammunition into the air and not at the protesters. Explaining what happened at Lekki tollgate said the Army said the soldiers had no reason to kill anyone, saying the protesters were even happy to see them that night.

Mr. Bello further explained that while he was approaching Lekki-Aja highway around 6.45 p.m., he heard gunshots before reaching the tollgate and saw that, “the crowd had turned from peaceful protesters to a mob, infiltrated by hoodlums.”

He told the Army authority the that, “the protesters were happy to see the soldiers at the tollgate,” saying that he(Mr. Bello) personally offered the protesters water and drinks while persuading them to go home and observe the 24-hour curfew declared by the Lagos State Government.
He said, “On getting to the tollgate, I persuaded the crowd to go home and observe the 24-hours curfew declared by the state government. But surprisingly, the hoodlums continued throwing stones, bottles, and other dangerous objects at us and were burning tires.

I again fired some blank ammunition upward to scare the hoodlums away. But some protesters who were still at the tollgate sitting down quietly were given water and drinks by me while pleading with them to go home.”

“We did not fire at the protesters. Blank ammunition was fired upward to scare the hoodlums from the crowd. Nobody was shot dead at the Lekki tollgate, there was no massacre as claimed. The claim that the military took away dead bodies was not true. The protesters were happy to see us as indicated in some of the video clips of 20th October 2020.”

The Army insisted that there was no massacre at Lekki tollgate on October 20, because life ammunition was not shot at protesters, while denying the claim that they took some dead bodies away.

However, many residents of Lekki who witnessed the incident said soldiers fired live ammunition at protesters killing and injuring many sources of them.

Pictures and videos from the shooting were also shared on the social media.

It would recall that the Nigerian Army initially denied present at Lekki tollgate plaza on October 20, let alone shooting at protesters but, governor Sanwo-Olu contradicted their claims during his speech on the incident, on Wednesday morning, where he blamed the attack on “forces beyond our direct control.”

The governor also claimed there were no fatalities during the attack which lasted for several, he latter said during his visit to the injured protesters at the hospital, two people were confirmed dead from the incident.

Brigadier Gen.Francis Omata, who is also an Army witness said the protests had already turned violent before they arrived at the at Lekki tollgate.

The army claimed that protesters sprint stones and broken bottles at them when they arrived at the tollgate, and that in response, all they did was fire blank ammunition into the air to disperse the crowd.

In his words: “On arrival at the tollgate at about 7.30pm, I met a rowdy situation. I also met the Commanding Officer, 65 Battalion (Bello), who briefed me on the situation.

He briefed me that he met a hostile crowd, hoodlums mixed with the protesters, who were chanting and throwing stones at them.

I was able to disperse the crowd by firing blank ammunition into the air.

“At this point, stones and sticks were being thrown at us. Then I moved to a safe area and briefed General Officer Commanding 81 Division, Maj Gen Godwin Ahamefuna Umelo by phone.

“The General Officer Commanding directed me to pacify the hostile crowd and move the troops back to base. However, the crowd still continued chanting #EndSARS., I then instructed the troops to withdraw to base.”

Source: https://insidenaija.com.ng/lekki-shooting-we-fired-blank-ammunition-army-tells-lagos-panel/
Okay, bring out the children of the lifeless Man and his fake Vice out to be fired will "blank ammunition" by unknown armed soldiers. This should be done in the night with no light and camera. Bubu is wicked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lekki Shooting: We Fired Blank Ammunition, Army Tells Lagos Panel by SMI2020: 4:55pm On Nov 09, 2020
it started with no Nigerian Army Was Present During Lekki Shooting... I dey observe anyways...

(1) (Reply)

85 Fulanis Were Killed In Southern Kaduna - Fulani Leaders / Cult Attack In Rivers State, 2 Dead / Lady Teacher, Two Others Kidnapped On Ibadan/ijebu Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.