Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. (29508 Views)

Is It Advisable For A 21 Year Old To Study A 5 Year Course? / Study A Master In International Management At IUBH, Work In Germany / List Of Courses You Must Not Study In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by kulikuliandgari: 9:08am On Nov 10, 2020
Try and get certifications, maybe PMP, ACCA, CPA, CSci, CGA, audit, etc.

The current CEO of FirstBank studied veterinary medicine while the former trade and investment minister studied medicine but distinguished himself as an accountant.

Get certified despite what you studied.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Vasgas: 9:10am On Nov 10, 2020
2fine2fast:

Your assertion is very wrong. I studied Biochemistry, graduated officially in 2010, started my first job 2011, switched to NAFDAC in 2012. Left NAFDAC 2017 to pursue my Phd degree in Biotechnology. Many of my classmates are gainfully employed. Don’t limit others by your own limited view. Whatever you study in school, be the best in it.. then know you worth. The grace of God will cover the rest.

Sir, what advise can you offer to a biochemistry graduate who will like to follow this your step?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Vasgas: 9:11am On Nov 10, 2020
2fine2fast:

Your assertion is very wrong. I studied Biochemistry, graduated officially in 2010, started my first job 2011, switched to NAFDAC in 2012. Left NAFDAC 2017 to pursue my Phd degree in Biotechnology. Many of my classmates are gainfully employed. Don’t limit others by your own limited view. Whatever you study in school, be the best in it.. then know you worth. The grace of God will cover the rest.

We need people like you on the Biochemistry thread so has to tap from your knowledge.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Golan007: 9:12am On Nov 10, 2020
Stupid thread.

Study a course you have interest in. Equally as important, you should know what you intend to do with it from day 1.

All courses have their societal and economic value but they all depend on how you apply them.

A historian might be more fulfilled and make more money than a programmer if he applies himself more or better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 9:12am On Nov 10, 2020
bluefilm:

You know what...?

I am not here to correct your pessimistic and defeatist views because doing that with you will go on and on and nothing will be achieved at the end of the day.

Truth is that whatever you believe in is what works for you.

If you believe that you cannot raise capital to start your own business, fine.

If you think you can, fine.

Whatever you choose to do with your life is fine with me.

Mind you, even those that read the so called hot cake courses are also struggling to find a place in the job market so as you can see, studying a particular course to get a certificate to improve your employability is not even a guarantee in our world today.

There are many ways to raise a capital to start your business.

If your brain is so soft that you cannot even think of at least one way of raising capital for your own business, then I advise you to start thinking now because thinking is supposed to be one of the skills you should have developed while in school.

Lest I forget, the only reason why I pointed out the option of agriculture is simply because I am of the opinion that instead of focusing on just one way of earning the bread, one can actually diversify.

If you believe that your certificate is the ONLY way to guarantee you earning some bread in life, then that's your own cup of tea.

I will assume you didn't read the OP because I advocated for skill acquisition.

You even supported my views in your comment. grin

My advice for you is that you should be civil. You don't have to abuse anyone to pass your comments.

Have a good day sir!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by buezeemeka(m): 9:12am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Ask yourself, how many Economics graduates you know have gotten a well paid job as an Economist in the last 5 years.

That'll answer your question.
Totally incorrect..
Economics is in all facet of all nation including Nigeria..
It totally depends on the insight,u used in studying it
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by olatomiwa001(m): 9:12am On Nov 10, 2020
For those people asking should I study this should I study that, I'll advice you dat whatever u want to study, AV interest in it Nd develop ur self in any skill in ur UNI, don't waste 4/5 years of your life hoping you'll get a white collar Job after graduation. A lot of courses in this country are saturated, only those with good connections are employed easily. Except u study few medical course, don't be deceived, it's not easy being a graduate.

GET A SKILL, IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS
You'll surely be okay

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Norg: 9:12am On Nov 10, 2020
hello guys am Norg i toon pictures here are samples 09031979363 message me to get yours at an affordable price

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Exodora: 9:13am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Thank you.

When I speak, I do from experience. Musicians (including instrumentalists) make cool money. Many of them make more than our civil servants.

But people still think you shouldn't study music in the 21st century.

You know people just come out to say whatever they want you to hear .
Don't really know how many times we are going to deliberate on issues like this here in Nairaland .
My cousin brother study microbiology , he works in the Immigration.
I don't think what we study really matter especially here in Nigeria .
If only fate will find you .
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ejehjero: 9:14am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Ask yourself, how many Economics graduates you know have gotten a well paid job as an Economist in the last 5 years.

That's the point.
My children will never suffer like me.

Pharmacy, medical laboratory science, medicine, engineering and other self employable courses.. Are recommended...

More preferably, learn a skill before entering university cus after university learning a skill might seem late....
My opinion....
Skill
Skill
Skill
Skill
Skill

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by bluefilm: 9:15am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

I will assume you didn't read the OP because I advocated for skill acquisition.

You even supported my views in your comment. grin

My advice for you is that you should be civil. You don't have to abuse anyone to pass your comments.

Have a good day sir!

I can't support your views because you are coming from a Defeatist mentality.

I don't align with people who are only interested in showing me how something CANNOT be done!!!

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 9:16am On Nov 10, 2020
2fine2fast:

Sir, you graduated in 2011! That's 9 years ago! Life was good.

Things have changed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 10, 2020
Onnasucs1:
This is the same thing I tell people. Agriculture isn't saturated. Most of the few people who study agriculture were moved there against their choice. So many may end of not using the certificate. Only a few really want to do agriculture which makes them hot cakes to agricultural firms.

Why struggle for admission for a useless course like biochemistry when you can get admission to study agriculture with a jamb score as low as 170 and you'll not even have competition when job hunting.
Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ejehjero: 9:18am On Nov 10, 2020
Ayo5991:
Pls what abt business education
Who goes?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Preshob(m): 9:18am On Nov 10, 2020
Onnasucs1:
This is the same thing I tell people. Agriculture isn't saturated. Most of the few people who study agriculture were moved there against their choice. So many may end of not using the certificate. Only a few really want to do agriculture which makes them hot cakes to agricultural firms.

Why struggle for admission for a useless course like biochemistry when you can get admission to study agriculture with a jamb score as low as 170 and you'll not even have competition when job hunting.

Hello, Biochemistry isn't useless!!! even the medicine and surgery you guys are busy masturbating over can't do without Biochemistry. Tell me that the course is not marketable and the the employment opportunities in the field here in NIGERIA is almost non existent (due to the inability of employees to put specialization and qualifications in the forefront of their employment requirements) and I'll agree with you but calling it useless is a no no for me.

I always advise those that are passionate about the field of Biochemistry to go for further studies, specialize in an area of Biochemistry like Forensic science, Industrial Biochemistry, Toxicological Biochemistry, Molecular Biochemistry, etc, and try to remain there(outside the country) after your studies cause they know the importance and relevance of these courses we term "useless" here in Nigeria.

Meanwhile can anyone here tell me any course in Nigeria that doesn't have a large chunk of unemployed people?? including your darling Medicine where the level of underemployment is skyrocketing every day. Just pray for the Grace of God!!

Nigeria is the problem!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by mrnate: 9:20am On Nov 10, 2020
Acecards:
Which skill did you focus on boss ?
Photography and video editing

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:20am On Nov 10, 2020
BiggyB242:
Medicine is okay, law doesn't even pay well. Most law firms pay their lawyers +/-50k
50k for where! my brother studied law and his salary is 30k .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:21am On Nov 10, 2020
BiggyB242:
Medicine is okay, law doesn't even pay well. Most law firms pay their lawyers +/-50k
Very stressful course, with higher impunity and high handedness.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:23am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Just imagine!

...and some people will write JAMB 4 to 5 times to become a lawyer.

This is too bad!
I swear my brother nearly committed suicide because of the impunity he suffered in law school.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by williamsetuk(m): 9:26am On Nov 10, 2020
PRODUCT OF THE DAY

Welcome To ASHRON VIEW ESTATE PHASE 1

Are you looking for a buy and build estate in Ibeju Lekki where people have started building? Choose Ashron View Estate Phase 1.

Ashron View Estate Phase 1 is a serviced and classical estate suitable for residential and commercial purposes.

Alatishe, Lekki, Lagos. Just 5 minutes drive from Novare Mall.

PRICE: #3M

PLOT SIZE: 670 Sqm

TITLE: Gazette

TOPOGRAPHY: �% dry land

NEIGBOURHOODS:
-Shoprite Sangotedo
-Emperor Estate
-Crown Estate
-Nicon Town II
-Chois Gardens
-Fara Park
-Caleb Int'l School Abijo

ESTATE FEATURES:
-Street Light
-Borehole
-Drainage System
-Recreational Center
-Good Road Network
-Gated & Secured Environment

Ashron View Estate Phase 1:-
This land is free from government acquisition because it has been registered.

Get instant allocation immediately after the payment. Flexible payment plans available for 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 12 months.

For site inspection and further enquiries, Call/Whatsapp +2348146053752
+2349016667680
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by vickydevoka(m): 9:28am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

My brother if I ask myself day question I no go go skul again. Bcus all my area boys way study econs de jobless
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:28am On Nov 10, 2020
Cetacean419:

It is quite unfortunate I didn't see Agriculture related fields here. You must be joking for putting engineering there. Don't annoy me abeg.

I study computer engineering I'm on nairaland this early morning. This life no balance

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:31am On Nov 10, 2020
DamZik:

This is one of the reasons for unemployment in Nigeria. We have the orientation of being job seekers but not job creators. Another problem is that the view people who are interested in creating jobs don't have the financial capacity. Government have been given us capital in the media but not in reality.

To drastically reduce unemployment in Nigeria, government should borrow one million youths one million naira each. Loan not grant.

Loan that before you get you will be subjected to frustration and impunity, if only you are lucky to get it sef after spending so much, Nigerian loan is audio.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by vickydevoka(m): 9:33am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Would you rather waste 4/5 years studying a course that won't get you a job?

If you study music, your years in school will be focused on it. Music is practical and trust me even before graduation you'll start getting musical gigs, going for show and post graduation you'll be among the best in what you do.

Mind you music doesn't end in singing. It includes playing of instruments, orchestrating a choir, song writing and arrangement and lots more.

Seriously u make a point here. Just like someone going to university to study estate management or agriculture. Wen u knw many house agents , real estate tycoons n big farmers didn't go to skul at all.
I went to southern kaduna at jaba, this people de export ginger, big men plenty for there with people cultivating for dem
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by wildikeman(m): 9:36am On Nov 10, 2020
Even doctors and engineers are finding it hard to find jobs..

Truth is there's no much job for anyone. Not just because of what they studied.

If everyone studied engineering...and everyone floods the engineeringmarket. Soon that one will too will be hard to find.

The truth is if the government don't find any solutions, then the future for those who studied what's in the Nigerian economic market now will suffer.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Olumyyde(m): 9:38am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:
According to this Link Nigeria's unemployment rate is 27.1 percent while Nigeria's under-employment rate is 28.6 percent. That is, more than 50 percent of Nigerians are either completely unemployed or grossly underemployed (they get paid little for doing so much).

If you are Nigerian student hoping to further in any tertiary institution of your choice, do not study a course just because you like it.

The only reason why you should study any course should be because of its employability rate. Ask yourself, if I study Biochemistry for example, will I get a job. How many people in the past few years have gotten a biochemistry job?

Jambites are found of going to school to study courses with fancy names but many of these courses won't get you a job or a well paid job after graduation.

Another mistake Jambites make is rushing for Medicine, Law, Accountancy and other courses in their leagues. Why would apply for medicine when you know you'll probably never meet up with the cut of mark? Let's be candid, a high percentage of Nigerian student are average (including myself). It will be absolute foolishness (for a lack of better word) if an average student keep wasting their precious years in search of admission into law.

There are other non-celebrated courses out there that'll fetch you money, Computer Science, Music, Food and Nutrition amongst others fall into this category.

Gone are the days when a certificate guarantees a job. These days what guarantee you a job as a graduate (or anybody else) is connection, your money or your skill.

Most people don't have money to buy a job, most are not connected but most people can have a skill that'll make them financially independent and that is what you as a student should leverage on before becoming a graduate.

Learn a skill that'll fetch you money.

Regards,
A concerned unemployed graduate.
Yes, I studied Biochemistry and I got a federal job with it. Infact sef, to GOD'S glory I received my promotion letter last week.

4 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Kokaine(m): 9:40am On Nov 10, 2020
galantjoe:
Based on my 15years practical experience during job interviews on what employers really want, the following courses if well studied can always fetch you food on your table.
1. Medicine and surgery
2. Pharmacy, becoming certified
3. Law and becoming barrister
4. BSc nursing and having RN
5. Accountancy, becoming chartered or knowing your onion.
6. Computer science, knowing your onion
7. Computer engr. Knowing your onion.
8. Civil, machanical, chemical engineering, knowing your onion
9. Architecture,
10. Applied art
11. Music
12. Food science, technology, nutrition and dietetics
13. Actuarial science
14. Mathematics with finance/IT or applied maths with options computing, finance, analytics, etc
15. Physics with options in practical Engineering, technology, mechanics, electronics, computing, IT, ETC.
16. Chemistry with option in. Practical engineering, paint production, industrial uses, etc.
17. Education options in English, local languages, science education, technology, etc.

Electrical engineering. Knowing your onion and pepper.
Solar installers are making cash

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 9:41am On Nov 10, 2020
Olumyyde:

Yes, I studied Biochemistry and I got a federal job with it. Infact sef, to GOD'S glory I received my promotion letter last week.

Congratulations sir! cool Don't forget to do giveaway for us. cheesy

Sir I have a question?
How many of your colleagues in school then have a biochemistry job now?

3 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Olumyyde(m): 9:41am On Nov 10, 2020
DamZik:
""Jambites are found of going to school to study courses with fancy names but many of these courses won't get you a job or a well paid job after graduation."' You have said my mind. I have never seen someone who studied Biochemistry or Microbiology getting full employment. They usually end up as unqualified Teachers in private schools.
One exception to your little rule is here sir, and so many others of my Biochem coursemates either lecturing, working as Quality Assurance heads in private companies or in federal agencies. For me, the GOD factor makes the whole difference.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by vickydevoka(m): 9:42am On Nov 10, 2020
wildikeman:
Even doctors and engineers are finding it hard to find jobs..

Truth is there's no much job for anyone. Not just because of what they studied.

If everyone studied engineering...and everyone floods the engineeringmarket. Soon that one will too will be hard to find.

The truth is if the government don't find any solutions, then the future for those who studied what's in the Nigerian economic market now will suffer.
U funny o. Which people de employ engineers abeg. If government wan build big something Dem go call chimes n Indian people. Abeg engineering no follow. U for Kukuma say education self
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Olumyyde(m): 9:42am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Congratulations sir! cool Don't forget to do giveaway for us. cheesy

Sir I have a question?
How many of your colleagues in school then have a biochemistry job now?
Here sir, and so many others of my Biochem coursemates either lecturing, working as Quality Assurance heads in private companies or in federal agencies. All these things are in GOD'S hands.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 10, 2020
mrnate:

Photography and video editing
Nice one. You can even become a freelancer

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

ASUU Ready to Call-Off Strike Next Week - Fagge / What Course Can She Study With This WAEC Result? / Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.