Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) (79543 Views)

Goat "Attacks" Lion At Ogba Zoo In Benin, The Lion Later Caught It (Video) / Malnourished Lion At Benue University Zoo Roaring (Photos) / 9 Lionesses Brutally Attack Lion At West Midlands Safari Park (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by lalasticlala(m): 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2020
King of the jungle is reduced to skin and bone in horror zoo: Shocked visitor photographs starving lion alongside other 'underfed' animals in Nigeria

*The lion was found at the Gamji Gate zoo in Kaduna on the verge of starvation
*Footage and photos of the lion showed it was very thin with its ribs clearly visible
*An unnamed man took photos of the conditions that sparked the animal rescue
*There were also a number of other mistreated animals held captive at the zoo

A starving lion was discovered by a shocked visitor to a zoo in Nigeria along-side a number of other severely underfed animals.

After the man's discovery, a wildlife charity has begun a rescue mission from the horror zoo in an attempt to save the life of the severely malnourished male lion.

His strength must first be returned before he can be relocated to a sanctuary, but there are questions over whether the lion can survive for long enough.

The man was visiting to the Gamji Gate zoo in Kaduna, Nigeria, and was shocked to discover the conditions the animals were being kept in.

After paying a one dollar entrance fee to the state-owned zoo, he came across a painfully thin lion - which looked as if it was on the verge of death - locked up in a cement cage.

'The first moment I saw the animal I felt shock,' the man, who wishes to remain unnamed, told Jam Press. 'I was so surprised. I felt so nervous and uneasy because it was my first time seeing a lion live.

'Like this is my first time in a zoo. I virtually saw them in movies, news and magazines. Actually, most of the animals in the zoo are not well-fed. They lack proper treatment or let me say malnutrition.'

Disturbed by the scene, the man recorded his findings and quickly contacted the animal welfare charity WildatLife.e.V to assist in the rescue of the lion.

His footage and photos show the lion looking incredibly thin with its ribs visibly protruding from its stomach.

This is in stark contrast to a typical full-grown male lion, which weighs in at around 420 pounds, while female lions generally weigh about 280 pounds.

The lion, named Zaki by the charity, is in critical condition and had been left to suffer beyond comprehension.

However, WildatLife.e.V is working alongside the Nigerian Association of Zoological parks which has assisted them in finding a wildlife vet and informing the authorities, who are investigating the matter urgently.

A spokesperson said: 'The vet was sent and gave medical assistance to the lion but he will require further treatment which NGO WildatLife will pay for.

'We are awaiting the full vet diagnosis and report into how and why this has been allowed to happen.

'Zaki is now receiving medical care and it will be an ongoing case.

'If Zaki survives this ordeal, our NGO has offered to relocate him to a sanctuary that will see him thrive.

'But in his now critical condition, it is not viable to relocate him, we must work closely with the Nigerian officials to have this matter dealt with internally.

'We must prevent suffering in zoos around the wild that holds wildlife captive for profit.'

Sadly, a number of other animals in the zoo looked to be in poor health and malnourished too. The NGO said conditions and enclosures were completely unsuitable.

However, the lion is the most urgent and shocking case the NGO has ever seen.

It was not clear whether to zoo would remain open after the discovery.

The latest rescue mission comes shortly after the organisation rescued 47 animals on the brink of death at Ziniare's zoo in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

The zoo, which held wild animals ranging from lions to hippos, porcupines, monkeys, elks and hyenas was exposed for starving its animals to death and leaving them to suffer in appalling conditions.

The team was horrified to discover dozens of endangered species had been left hungry and weak due to malnutrition – and some animals died due to lack of food.

Thankfully, the NGO and The Foundation For The Protection of Fauna and Flora in Burkina Faso have now taken over the zoo after gaining Power of Attorney and have closed it to the public.

They also began an urgent feeding and nutrition programme and the condition of the animals is improving greatly.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8933573/Man-shocked-discover-malnourished-lion-dozens-neglected-animals-Zoo-Nigeria.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline&__twitter_impression=true

5 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by lalasticlala(m): 7:40pm On Nov 10, 2020

1 Share

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Froshloaded: 7:40pm On Nov 10, 2020
Sad.

Animal Cruelty

If this Lion gets out of this cage alive, the first person it catch is a goner.

311 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Niyeal(m): 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2020
Hungry lion is an angry lion

143 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by flyingpig: 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2020
Na only cows bubu sabi.

Nothing concern am concern human beings or lions.

125 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Uprightness100(m): 7:46pm On Nov 10, 2020
This is an act of Wickedness and Meaness to these wonderful creatures of God.
Thanks to God, they are rescued..

Reminds me of the cat that came to my window when I was about serving my Dinner. It's eyes were on my Rice and Stew. I had to give it some to eat. The cat was so happy.

Pls lets feed this Creatures as much as we can. We all are Living things. We are only privileged to be humans.

282 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by nrexzy: 7:53pm On Nov 10, 2020
This is pure animal cruelty ....
Well em Dey hurd human food e come be animal own...

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by DenreleDave(m): 7:54pm On Nov 10, 2020
Gbese. Thank God I don comot for kaduna grin grin grin grin

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Asquare84(m): 7:55pm On Nov 10, 2020
What will it cause to feed an ordinary animal in a cage, what is wrong with the black man that he can't effectively run a successful endeavor? What happens to the money budgeted for feeding of this animals or the gate fees generated from visitor.

136 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Muyiwaipere(m): 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2020
Damn..if you can't feed them ,why not release them to the wild were they can fend for themselves

143 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Cutehector(m): 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2020
Lalasticlala carry snake and feed them o

7 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by obicoolnino: 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2020
What were we expecting to see before, a robust lion roaring?? I laugh in madagaster, person never chop belleful na lion wan chop?

27 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Nigeriabiafra80: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2020
Hahahahhahahaha
And we said Nigeria is a zoo ?
Even animals are starving
The only animal Nigeria favors are cows,
Some, even kill humans for cow
These starving animal won’t be happy hearing that Nigeria is a zoo
May be ,we should rename it to evil forest

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2020
Put them back to where they belong, the forest

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by GIANTPLUSHUB: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mheen! This is just unfair to the innocent Lion. Maintenance culture is one of our biggest problems as a nation.

23 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by JesusJesus: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ok
Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Traviscottt: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2020
grin grin grin grin
Even goat go chase this Malnourished lion to scamper for safety..

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
The king of the jungle, wow shocked
What do will call this now

Wow, would be easier feeding this poor animals that having people read reviews of n the thread on my signature

4 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Kokoboss: 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
Even animals dey vex. There's no hope in this country

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Memberclub(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
Apc change grin

On a serious note its quite sad we have gone back as a country. Ordinary electricity has become worse. Chai Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Eriokanmi: 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
Copy and paste society. Is it a must to operate zoo? We always copy what the whites do but we can't keep or nurture what we've copied.

7 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by lagusboyyy(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
This is injustice to those animals, am not surprised though, even humans are not feeding well.

I think it's better they release them to the wild, or better still, sell them to a working country.

This is an eyesore.

2 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by DaBillionnaire: 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
So the animals are not left out, they are also affected by the 'change'.

I hope they get dia own palliatives shocked

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by IamPlato(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
.una starve Us, starve Police Till Them Don Criminals, now Una De Starve Lion too.

Why Take It From The Wild If You Will Starve it To Death?

May God Punish All The Bastard responsible For This

3 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by AlphikkaTech: 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
I can bet my 2 left balls that the managers of the zoo are looting the facility.

Omo see Lion, if dem release this one I no go run

22 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by MarveworldNG: 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
Please call the beer destroyers to attend to the Lion

3 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by nurez305(m): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
With which strength ?
Froshloaded:
Sad.

Animal Cruelty

If this Lion gets out of this cage alive, the first person it catch is a goner.
why not release this animal's if you can't takecare of them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by fatymore(f): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
Kai.

Even animals are feeling the heat.

I have bedsheets for sale all at affordable prices.

2 Likes

Re: Starving Lion At Gamji Gate Zoo In Kaduna (photos) by Hassanmaye(m): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
Animal cruelty

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Adolf Hitler’s Alligator Preserved Forever At Berlin Zoo After Dying Aged 84(Pix / Meet Rare White Lion With Gorgeous Hairstyle (Pictures) / World’s Worst Ever Zoo Attacks As Bears, Tigers& Gorillas Attack People(Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.