Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland (1063 Views)

I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... / A Friend Got Scammed Trying To Learn Programming ? / I Need Help On How To Avoid Burnout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by explorer250(m): 4:55am On Nov 11, 2020
A little intro about myself. I am Clinton a freelance full stack developer.

With the increasing number of fake developers and scammers littered all over this section, it is a source of worry to some of us who get the bulk of our clients from this section.

I have come to realize that there are reasons why developer seeking clients get scammed and i am going to list out these reasons.

1. You want a great job for a very cheap price: This is the top reason why most clients get scammed and I believe that over 90% of the scams recorded on Nairaland is because of this. I keep on speaking on this. Programming is not "easy". When you want a developer to integrate top of the earth features into your website and all you can offer is a cheap amount that cant even fuel the generator, my brother, you will definitely get scammed! and you know what? I don't feel pity for this category of victims because they deserve it(hey, that is my personal opinion).

2. The developer cant really do the job: I personally don't believe in "collect the job, learn how to do it later" . So many People are claiming to be developers with incredible programming skills but in reality most of them are just WordPress theme installers. As a client you should know that WordPress cant really do much and hiring these set of developers and putting very high expectations on them will definitely end in disaster

3. The person you are trying to hire is an outright scammer: So many people in this section are actually scammers "looking for their daily bread" . What actually prompted me to create this thread is because I just saw a notorious scammer bidding for a job in this section and i know the client will definitely fall for him because the scammer usually offer incredibly cheap services.

How to avoid getting scammed

I have just one solution to this scam problem and I discovered it reduces the possibility or probability of getting scammed by over 95%(not a statement of fact but it is my opinion).

Subject any developer you are hiring to a test! No scammer will have the time to start solving algorithms and answering questions in Php or JavaScript he doesn't know because he wants to scam you.

I have been doing a job for the past 2 months and before i was hired by my client i was subjected to a test from devskiller. I don't think any scammer or quack will have the patience or skill needed to take any online test. Even if they do, they will definitely fail! You can google about devskiller or any other skill testing platform and i think the tests are free. So as a potential employer make sure to subject your potential employee to a test to ascertain if he actually possesses the skills he claims to have.

devskiller is like dragnet. They conduct the test and give the employer the score

In summary. As an employer, pay well for jobs and test the skills and authenticity of your employee!
GETTING RID OF SCAMMERS IN THIS SECTION IS A COLLECTIVE EFFORT. PLEASE SUPPORT IT !

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by ipobarecriminals: 5:13am On Nov 11, 2020
sad Number 3,what"s the moniker Acc of the scammer angry? Do us dis favor pls
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by explorer250(m): 5:21am On Nov 11, 2020
ipobarecriminals:
sad Number 3,what"s the moniker Acc of the scammer angry? Do us dis favor pls

he changes moniker every time but we know his website
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by ipobarecriminals: 5:28am On Nov 11, 2020
explorer250:

he changes moniker every time but we know his website
tell us one of his moniker make we help disgrace him
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by orisa37: 5:42am On Nov 11, 2020
F.G S.G MTN NCC AND EVEN SOME MODS ON THIS FORUM ARE SCAMMERS.
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by orisa37: 5:49am On Nov 11, 2020
The NIGERIA Information System, the Media and the Regulators have all become "WORWOR".
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:12am On Nov 11, 2020
I agree with you except you said WordPress can't really do much. Mbom WordPress can do a lot. I am using frontity presently to build a WordPress theme with React on the front-end. The performance is out of this world. With the latest advancements In technology you can use WordPress as a headless CMS and any frontend technology of your choice.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 11, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
I agree with you except you said WordPress can't really do much. Mbom WordPress can do a lot. I am using frontity presently to build a WordPress theme with React on the front-end. The performance is out of this world. With the latest advancements In technology you can use WordPress as a headless CMS and any frontend technology of your choice.
bro, you said you started programming last year right? Look how far you've come sha. You inspire me. So, after Web dev, what next for you?
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:17am On Nov 11, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
bro, you said you started programming last year right? Look how far you've come sha. You inspire me. So, after Web dev, what next for you?
Omho na web dev, web dev, web dev. I started in February.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 11, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Omho na web dev, web dev, web dev. I started in February.
wow, so fast. Omo your story dey inspire me sha. I'm still an aspirant sha, but I wan make sure say before I enter uni, I must get lappy. I no put my mind for job oh. I must learn coding. I just hope say you go still dey NL till when I go start fully.
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by Karleb(m): 11:21am On Nov 11, 2020
I really wish to know how a non-dev can test the knowledge of a developer.

How do you ask someone a question you don't understand yourself?

Imagine if you ask me what "encapsulation" mean because you want to make an API call grin, how do you even know if the reply I'd give is the correct one?

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:22am On Nov 11, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
wow, so fast. Omo your story dey inspire me sha. I'm still an aspirant sha, but I wan make sure say before I enter uni, I must get lappy. I no put my mind for job oh. I must learn coding. I just hope say you go still dey NL till when I go start fully.
No problem.
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by naijasensei: 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2020
Karleb:

Imagine if you ask me what "encapsulation" mean because you want to make an API call grin, how do you even know if the reply I'd give is the correct one?

Personally, I would network with people knowledgeable in that field, then ask for their assistance. Alternatively, I would probably outsource the recruitment to those with the requisite knowledge.
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by Etinosa1234: 2:09pm On Nov 11, 2020
Op... I don't think there is need for a code test before giving a job... U could just ask the developer for his portfolio..

Not everyone would be ready to do test and someone who does not know coding would not know the Kain test to give

Just My opinion
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by explorer250(m): 2:10pm On Nov 11, 2020
Karleb:

you don't understand. devskiller is like dragnet. They conduct the test and give the employer the score
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by explorer250(m): 2:17pm On Nov 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Op... I don't think there is need for a code test before giving a job... U could just ask the developer for his portfolio..

Not everyone would be ready to do test and someone who does not know coding would not know the Kain test to give

Just My opinion

you are misunderstanding the write up. Devskiller conducts the test and inform the employer of the capability of the potential employee
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by Etinosa1234: 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2020
explorer250:

you are misunderstanding the write up. Devskiller conducts the test and inform the employer of the capability of the potential employee

Ohk sir

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by talk2hb1(m): 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2020
I guess I see opportunity here, I guess someone should start the job of vetting and recommending developers, of course with charges from both party grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by etoluw: 9:01pm On Nov 11, 2020
talk2hb1:
I guess I see opportunity here, I guess someone should start the job of vetting and recommending developers, of course with charges from both party grin

i totally agree with you
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by revived2: 9:01pm On Dec 08, 2021
Explorer250 how may account you get

I no even know which developer to give my work too

I need a proposal/enquiry
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by Nobody: 4:59am On Dec 10, 2021
Coding test is of no use when selecting a good developer. It is like you want to build a house and you ask the builder to take a brick laying test.
The only solution to finding a good software developer is to ask to see an online demo project like the one you want to develop.
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by codeigniter(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2021
explorer250:
A little intro about myself. I am Clinton a freelance full stack developer.

With the increasing number of fake developers and scammers littered all over this section, it is a source of worry to some of us who get the bulk of our clients from this section.

I have come to realize that there are reasons why developer seeking clients get scammed and i am going to list out these reasons.

1. You want a great job for a very cheap price: This is the top reason why most clients get scammed and I believe that over 90% of the scams recorded on Nairaland is because of this. I keep on speaking on this. Programming is not "easy". When you want a developer to integrate top of the earth features into your website and all you can offer is a cheap amount that cant even fuel the generator, my brother, you will definitely get scammed! and you know what? I don't feel pity for this category of victims because they deserve it(hey, that is my personal opinion).

2. The developer cant really do the job: I personally don't believe in "collect the job, learn how to do it later" . So many People are claiming to be developers with incredible programming skills but in reality most of them are just WordPress theme installers. As a client you should know that WordPress cant really do much and hiring these set of developers and putting very high expectations on them will definitely end in disaster

3. The person you are trying to hire is an outright scammer: So many people in this section are actually scammers "looking for their daily bread" . What actually prompted me to create this thread is because I just saw a notorious scammer bidding for a job in this section and i know the client will definitely fall for him because the scammer usually offer incredibly cheap services.

How to avoid getting scammed

I have just one solution to this scam problem and I discovered it reduces the possibility or probability of getting scammed by over 95%(not a statement of fact but it is my opinion).

Subject any developer you are hiring to a test! No scammer will have the time to start solving algorithms and answering questions in Php or JavaScript he doesn't know because he wants to scam you.

I have been doing a job for the past 2 months and before i was hired by my client i was subjected to a test from devskiller. I don't think any scammer or quack will have the patience or skill needed to take any online test. Even if they do, they will definitely fail! You can google about devskiller or any other skill testing platform and i think the tests are free. So as a potential employer make sure to subject your potential employee to a test to ascertain if he actually possesses the skills he claims to have.

devskiller is like dragnet. They conduct the test and give the employer the score

In summary. As an employer, pay well for jobs and test the skills and authenticity of your employee!
GETTING RID OF SCAMMERS IN THIS SECTION IS A COLLECTIVE EFFORT. PLEASE SUPPORT IT !

I understand this write up, but coding test for freelancing c'mon
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by ExplorerReturns(m): 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2022
revived2:
Explorer250 how may account you get

I no even know which developer to give my work too

I need a proposal/enquiry

They all got banned for spamming even explorer250 which was my first moniker cry . Well you can contact me on this moniker. Hopefully they won't ban this one
Re: How To Avoid Getting Scammed On Nairaland by silento(m): 1:54pm On Jul 05, 2022
check years of account and review and post he made in the pass and save urself the stress

(1) (Reply)

Work Me Through Plz / Hey, Php Programmer? I Need Ur Help / Download Java 7 Api Doc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.