Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,980 members, 7,799,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) (59533 Views)

Nigerian Man Celebrates Sallah With His Three Wives And 19 Children (photos) / Woman Flogged By Her Husband, Flees With Her Children (Photos) / Swiss Woman Married To A Nigerian Thought She Would Never Have Children (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by uche87(m): 10:57am On Nov 11, 2020
Being the Director of Communications at Helping Ordinary Lives, HOL Foundation is challenging. Every day of your life, you feel the gas left in your tank would dry up and then your race will end before the finish line. Every day is a battle to put at least short smiles on the faces of people, who hope for reason to express genuine happiness. The biggest or funniest jokes by the best clown or comedians in town can't move them as their pains are bigger than them all.

It is easy to read about the spate of poverty in Nigeria and Africa on the pages of newspapers or journals. It is harder to get a full picture of poverty and stand to look at it in reality. You not only fight to hold your tears, you also fight for the strength to stand on your feet. 89 million Nigerians are living in extreme poverty in Nigeria despite the yardstick for the measurement of poverty is being below spending $2 (N684) on food per day. The figures are simple to look past as a headline, but it is a different ball game when you see the people living in extreme poverty physically as well as listening to their stories. I wish the people could be granted free passage into heaven on judgement because the planet earth has been hell for them.

I will never forget the 27th of June, 2020. It was the day I saw the image of poverty and believe me, poverty is ugly and scary. My Managing Director had contacted me to prepare for a regular field exercise which entailed sharing of relief materials amongst residents of vulnerable communities. It was a hard decision to make considering the menace of the coronavirus pandemic, which had ruined businesses and plundered the financial resources of many. For the first time, I felt it was over for the foundation. I saw myself joining the vulnerable people we swore to bring succour and hope to. The director wasn't going to let Covid-19 deter him from a cause he has dedicated his life to. He gathered funds here and there and even went as far as borrowing, to purchase food materials for the vulnerable people, whose conditions have been made worse by the infectious and deadly disease.

We arrived at one of the shanties at the Agbado Ijaiye area of Lagos State to share relief materials. We had arranged portions of rice, beans, noodles, vegetable oil and others in sizeable quantities for a targeted section of the population living there. They were happy to see us. Most of them lamented the failure of the government to share its highly publicized Covid-19 palliatives amongst them. They argued that they need them the most in Nigeria. We pacified them with soothing words and in no time, the smiles on their faces almost overpowered the rays of the sun. It was a beautiful sight.

Our relief materials were not enough as news spread around town that we were around and the number of people on the ground kept doubling. We soon took our leave and promised to return at a future date. We felt fulfilled to a large extent as we journeyed back to our various homes. Then the rain began to fall; as Africans, we regarded this as showers of blessings. We assumed that Providence was happy with our efforts and was trying to part us on the backs. The business of the day seemed done and dusted but that wasn't all, something that would mark the beginning of another landmark story was developing.

As we negotiated excruciatingly with the potholes around the Agbado-Ijaiye axis, we spotted a middle-aged man who was physically-challenged. He was only moving around with a makeshift wooden wheeler. It was quite small and low. It is commonly used by crippled beggars. He sat on it and used a pair of bathroom slippers worn on his hands to move it around. Everywhere was flooded. The vehicle we came in was already crying for help as the bad roads had the best of it. This man was navigating around the potholes by the roadside energetically. Some of the potholes at times looked as if they were going to take his life.

The director was moved as he stared at him from the car. He ordered that the car should be parked and he approached the man. For once, I felt he had wanted to heal him like Jesus Christ as he alighted from the vehicle and gazed at him. When he got close, he bent and said 'Please gentleman, what is your name?'

He struggled to respond as he could barely speak the English language. From his intonation, it was clear that he was Hausa. One of the workers who understood the language perfectly interjected and communicated with him. It was then that he gave his name as Ayuba. The middle-aged man whose looks tell the gory stories and wicked challenges of life revealed he begs for a living. The boss ransacked the vehicle for some palliatives. Luckily, we found some. He also handed some cash gifts to him. He explained he is a married father of 4. His wife is crippled too. We all abandoned our trip temporarily and followed Ayuba to his home. Ayuba's life was a true image of poverty. His first child was about 10 years old. All of them have never seen the four walls of a school. They were not only malnourished with their bodies covered by tattered clothes, they also had no future to bank on. Tears flowed down on the cheeks of everybody as Ayuba narrated what it takes to put the cheapest meal on the family table every day. If the tears weren't controlled, the imminent flood around his house could have been fastened by the collection of tears from our eyes. One could only peep through Ayuba's house with fear. It was dark and looked like a dungeon from which the next pandemic could emerge. The door was so low and small that a fat animal might be discouraged from entering.

"I want my children to go to school. I want a better future for them. I don't want them to end up like me. Life is hard, life is just too hard" he said with the tears been seamlessly unleashed.

"I can't afford a wheelchair. It is so difficult for my wife and i to move around during the rainy season. I can't count the number of times I have fallen into deep gutters. Going out is a risk. I feel I could die anytime but the well-being of my family means a lot to me. I just have to go out and make something no matter how little" he added.

The boss looked up and signalled to everybody that it was time to leave. Ayuba looked at the relief materials again and thanked us. He wished we could stay longer and eat with his family but we respectfully declined.

For the first time in a very long time, the boss was quiet all through the trip home. We all knew he was touched by the story of Ayuba. We were all moved too. When I got to the junction of my street, the car parked and I came down with my bag containing my personal effects. The boss looked at me and said, Ayuba is our new project now. He is part of our family. His children are our responsibility and we have to make the sun shine on that home. I nodded my head in acceptance. Waved him goodbye and left for my home. I was troubled all night and restless due to the day's experience.

HOL Foundation has struggled to solve the structural challenges of Ayuba but we are very hopeful and will never forget him. The boss ordered the logistics team to dispatch some relief materials to his home recently. Life seems the same for Ayuba but we are very sure things will soon take a U-turn in his life as we continue to gather the needed resources to make the promised change.

George Osayimwen is the Director of Communications at HOL Foundation

Source: https://www.tori.ng/news/158431/my-facetoface-encounter-with-poverty-and-his-four.html

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by YoonSung57: 11:00am On Nov 11, 2020
hmmm life is sometimes unfair

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Nbotee(m): 11:06am On Nov 11, 2020
Life is unfair and some ppl are also not being fair to demselves... Ayuba is crippled and is married to anoda crippled and dey beg for a living but somehow he's comfortable with birthing 4kids he cannot raise..

535 Likes 34 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by CharleyBright(m): 11:27am On Nov 11, 2020
Short of Words.
But truth be told.... Why have many kids you can't fend for?
Rich people these days are settling for 2 kids or 3kids at most. Poor people these days are having 5 to 7kids, and they open their mouths to tell you the God that giveth will provide.
By end of the day, the children will suffer and pass thru hard lives and in most cases never make it to higher institutions.
As you lay your bed, so you shall lie on it.
The North should Stop breeding children they can't cater for.

225 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by hapiruth(f): 12:06pm On Nov 11, 2020
Som touching. Life is unfair.

1 Like

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Fountainofyouth(f): 12:11pm On Nov 11, 2020
Poor people are the most wicked and evil sets of humans roaming the earth, why will you give birth to, not one, two, or three, but four innocent souls to come to the world to suffer life with you? Why? Look at the parents, how do they even fvck?

I'm pissed, I have no sympathy for the parents, only the kids.

148 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by bukatyne(f): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2020
How irresponsible can Ayuba be to birth four children in stark poverty?

1, 2, 3 and 4?

In this squalor?

4 kids

The Foundation also has to teach Ayuba and others like him to take responsibility for their actions and decisions.

136 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by ObongawanKIKI: 12:40pm On Nov 11, 2020
God help these souls. So many poor sights out there in Nigeria. Thank you Helping Ordinary Lives for telling this story.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2020
Why the hell were they producing children? Not one, not two but four kids?
This really got me mad as hell right now?

I remember visiting a family friend's grandmom sometime ago at a local hospital and I saw this lady that had just got delivered of a baby. She was held back or seized at the hospital because of a bill of about 40k or so, I can't recollect.
Aside the new born, she had other two little very hungry looking kids with her. They said they hadn't eaten for the day and that was evening. In fact, a nurse said she bought them coke and moi moi or something the day before and she wouldn't be shocked if those were all the woman and her kids had until then.

The husband, an okadaman left them there saying he was running around for the bill but the wife confidently told me he ran away and it was two days already. Only God knows how much long they would've been there without food.

I was mad as hell, mad at the nurses and every goddam staff there but my anger was more on the woman for breeding like an ant when she didn't have means to take care of the kids.

Out of anger, I must have told the woman to kick her husband's ass when next he came to her with his dangling lazy dick.

Why are people recycling poverty? Is it not foolishness that one will leave a hungry mouth and feed the dick or the vagina. angry

149 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Octopusssy(f): 2:14pm On Nov 11, 2020
bukatyne:
How irresponsible can Ayuba be to birth four children in stark poverty?

1, 2, 3 and 4?

In this squalor?

4 kids

The Foundation also has to teach Ayuba and others like him to take responsibility for their actions and decisions.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Like seriously, how can you keep bringing kids into this world when you can't even take care of yourself? The world is a tough place for able bodied people, how much less a disabled person? Do we now blame ignorance and poverty for this kind of irresponsibility?

Yes, we are all sympathetic to Ayuba and his excruciatingly hopeless circumstances, but let us also lay some of the blame on his table.

This picture invokes images of doom and gloom.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by joseph1832(m): 2:26pm On Nov 11, 2020
Octopusssy:

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Like seriously, how can you keep bringing kids into this world when you can't even take care of yourself? The world is a tough place for able bodied people, how much less a disabled person? Do we now blame ignorance and poverty for this kind of irresponsibility?

Yes, we are all sympathetic to Ayuba and his excruciatingly hopeless circumstances, but let us also lay some of the blame on his table.
I won't even bother to read the opening post but this Ayuba's situation is something I've seen/witnessed one time too many.

You won't be surprise if you engage him (Ayuba), in conversation you'll see he gave birth to those kids in the hope that the kids, might grow up and save him from his wretched state.

The mindset of many Nigerians seriously need to be change as soon as possible. Don't even be surprise this same Ayuba will see someone like me, who's not married, don't have kids and is doing Far better than him, he'll now believe he's better than me and even insult me just because he gave birth to kids he can't even take care of, talkless of taking care of himself.

133 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by GboyegaD(m): 2:28pm On Nov 11, 2020
While it is right to say life is unfair, our choices sometimes too are unfair. In his condition, he shouldn't have birthed 4 children. Although it is hard to say but truth remains that he is wicked however, thanks to God who has decided to let the light shine on him. I hope HOL also teaches his and his wife family planning and the need to strive to ensure their 4 kids live a reasonable life.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by ThatKING(m): 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2020
Don't have kids you can't afford to fend for

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by duduade: 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2020
It is well
Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by strangest(m): 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2020
Bros, you are a good writer but Ayuba is a good striker too.... Let him deal with it

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Octopusssy(f): 3:02pm On Nov 11, 2020
joseph1832:
I won't even bother to read the opening post but this Ayuba's situation is something I've seen/witnessed one time too many.

You won't be surprise if you engage him (Ayuba), in conversation you'll see he gave birth to those kids in the hope that the kids, might grow up and save him from his wretched state.

The mindset of many Nigerians seriously need to be change as soon as possible. Don't even be surprise this same Ayuba will see someone like me, who's not married, don't have kids and is doing Far better than him, he'll now believe he's better than me and even insult me just because he gave birth to kids he can't even take care of, talkless of taking care of himself.
You have hit the crux of the matter

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by BennyDGreat: 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2020
What a story!

1 Like

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by LadySarah: 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
Ayuba or his wife should first be taken to a health institution and be sterilised.
With more help, they'll birth more.

I once admonished one to follow me for fp.I was helping her sort of. close to 3 yrs, the matter hasn't been brought up again. Their story is worrisome Lyk dis one.

33 Likes

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by bukatyne(f): 6:09pm On Nov 11, 2020
Octopusssy:

This picture invokes images of doom and gloom.

It is pathetic.

I would not be surprised if he has another kid next year.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by hidhrhis(m): 6:46pm On Nov 11, 2020
ur writing skill is top notch
God will change ayuba story through u

7 Likes

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by CanadianNaija: 7:04pm On Nov 11, 2020
You provided him with enough comfort to breed another child.

I have no sympathy for him and his wife.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Pavore9: 7:52pm On Nov 11, 2020
They will have more children and that is a FACT.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by ecomalchemist(m): 8:47pm On Nov 11, 2020
Nigerians and their incredible ways of recycling poverty shouldn't be a skill one should master at all.

The resultant effect is very dangerous.

Do you know over 20 million people are suffering from high blood pressure across Nigeria & most of them aren't even aware.

According to research, this number is calculated as 30.7% among men and 25.2% among women.

Get a fit pro smartwatch today to check your heart rate, blood and oxygen pressure in a cost effective way.

My people, e get one smartwatch wey get all these follow come properties dem...

Make una feel mbok,

One touch watch,
IP67 ratings,
150MAh inbuilt battery,
Blood pressure, Oxygen, heart rate and sleep monitor,
Call and SMS notification,
Messaged reminder

Available in black, pink and white

With fitpro app

Check my signature for contact, bless you

1 Like

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 11, 2020
Poor people should be castrated after 2 kids. Many of them are a disgrace to humanity. Especially in the north

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2020
Nigerians are suffering, smiling and being oppressed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by OsuIgboIpob: 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2020
angry

This north and India na almost the same...

INDEED, WE DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS BEING ONE COUNTRY.

RESTRUCTURE THIS SHITHOLE NOW!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by leisuretym: 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2020
Hnm

1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Ayoswit(f): 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2020
It is the kids I pity not their ignorant parents. Those kids never begged to be born by the wretched couple. It seems d poor breeds more kids than d rich in naija sha undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Evilgenuis: 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2020
angry
Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2020
Really touching cry cry cry
Re: My Face-to-face Encounter With 'poverty' And His Four Children (photos) by AccurateJob(m): 9:08pm On Nov 11, 2020
Y

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

That Moment A Movie Gets To A Sex Scene When Watching With Your Parents / "How A Retired Major Treated His Daughter After She Got Pregnant In 100 Level" / Marriage: What Part Of The Bed Should A Man Sleep On (right Or Left)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.