Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,920 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

Tales Of Dọtun (dotman) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tales Of Dọtun (dotman) (294 Views)

Tales Of Dọtun (dotman) / Tales Of Abigail / Tales Of A College Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tales Of Dọtun (dotman) by Layze(m): 9:26pm On Nov 11, 2020
Hello Nairalanders!

I will be updating a series I'm currently working on.
I must confess that I'm not yet a seasoned writer; but I work hard to produce great pieces.

I hope you all enjoy your time here. �

JOB HUNT

“Hello can I have your attention please? All applicants can come in now; its time already. Please to avoid embarrassment; if you don’t have the required documents don’t bother to come inside.”

I’ve literally been shivering ever since I arrived; however this latest announcement was the ultimate icing cold – it sent a cold shiver down my spine.

I stood up slowly and walked sluggishly towards the gate “eh take it easy can’t you – “ “Mr. man you just pushed – “ “sorry”. Everyone around me was in frenzy; there was no order at all; everyone is rushing towards the gate at the same time. I was being pushed around over and over again but I didn’t bother to join the rush; I moved slowly towards the gate.

By the time I finally pushed through the gate, my heart sank: I saw no less than 40 people seated under a canopy at one edge of the compound; some people were even standing.
At that instance, I felt a strong urge to turn back and go back to my house; I wanted to just leave. But I found myself walking towards the canopy.

Everyone was seated on a plastic chair. I took the last seat at the back (obviously nobody wanted to sit there) and looked at the sea of heads ahead of me; “no hope for you here Dotman” I thought to myself.

SUNDAY - Previous Day

Griiiillll Griillllll…. “Hello Dotman, how far?” “Hello who is this?” “Dotman are you alright? It’s Obi; don’t you recognize my voice?” “Oh Obi I’m sorry, but this isn’t your number you’re using to call me” “yes, I just got a new line. Have you checked your mail this morning?” “No, what happened?”

That Sunday I was on my bed around 2pm watching movies on my old laptop when my friend Obi suddenly called me and started asking questions. I wasn’t in the mood to talk and was hoping he end the call soon when he said “you haven’t checked your mail? Look at someone looking for job!” he exclaimed.

Before I could say anything he continued “check your mail now, that company I’m helping you to process is doing interview tomorrow and they must have sent you a mail. Get dressed tomorrow and leave early; I wish you the best. I will call you later” with this Obi ended the call. I sighed and returned to the movie I was watching.

My hunt for job began a year ago; immediately I graduated from school. I’ve always heard that the labour market is tough but I wasn’t expecting it to be this tough. I submitted applications to hundreds of firms, both private and public; I was called to several interviews and tests. But all yielded nothing.
I even attended several free seminars and conventions in the hope of getting a job opportunity.

After eight months of hunting, all my good clothes and shoes have become worn out; I had almost nothing left with me. Then I was left with no choice but to go into a job I’ve always disliked: teaching. I searched and applied to different private schools around my area. I finally got a job in one school where I’m being paid twenty five thousand naira monthly.

I continued my job hunt even after getting this job – I still submitted so many applications online. However it’s been over six months now since I started teaching and it’s not looking likely that I will see a better job soon. So I’ve started giving up.

We are currently on break in the school I work so I spend most of my time indoor. Obi who had been gainfully employed three months after our graduation has been working tirelessly in helping me to find a job.

MONDAY

I got to the venue of the interview very late. The mail asked us to come by 8:30am but I got there by 9:15am. I actually woke up early but I wasted the whole time on choosing an outfit.
I tried on almost all the shirts and trousers in my wardrobe; they all have one fault or the other. Some are torn, others are worn out or have become faded; I was very confused and frustrated.

I finally settled on one oversized but clean blue shirt and a deep brown trouser. I wore my one and only shoe and took off immediately. I took a bike to the venue and stopped about a hundred steps away from the gate.

There were so many people lurking outside the gate; at first I doubted if I made a mistake but on a closer look at the people around, reality dawned on me: they all came for the interview just like me.

“Excuse me please, you also came for the interview right?” I asked one fair lady who just finished speaking with someone on phone and was walking towards the gate “no I just came here to mark attendance and while away my time” the lady hissed and walked away angrily. How rude! I thought to myself.

Obviously I picked the wrong person. I looked around and saw a petite beautiful lady standing against a wooden pole; she was speaking with a guy whose back was facing me. I walked towards them and asked politely “excuse me please; I believe you guys are also here for the interview; why are we waiting outside or is the interview over?”

It was the guy who replied my question “no the interview hasn’t started, we were told to stay outside until they call us in”.
Thank God, I thought to myself “I hope you have all your documents with you?” The lady spoke for the first time; “yes, I– wait let me check again” I quickly opened the bag I was holding which contains all the documents they asked us to bring.

My mouth suddenly opened wide in surprise “what happened? Did you forget something?” the guy asked. I looked at the two of them and I said slowly “I think I left my certificate at home” “haa!” they both exclaimed in unison. “And they stated it clearly that if you don’t have the requirements you shouldn’t come. I also heard that they are strict with – “ it was at this junction that a voice boomed from a microphone and interrupted the guy. “They are calling us inside; you better run”

The two of them brushed me aside like I didn’t exist and took off towards the gate like a sprinter in a 100m race.

THE INTERVIEW

I sat patiently on the last seat under the canopy we were all asked to stay. I was very worried and anxious but I just sat calmly on the chair. I was worried for two reasons: first I forgot my certificate at home and it’s one of the documents which we were asked to bring. It was clearly stated that failure to bring the required documents will certificate to automatic disqualification.

Second, I looked like a pauper compared to other applicants at the venue with my oversized shirt, faded trouser and worn out shoes. I wished I hadn’t bothered to enter the gate at all. It was the fear of remaining a teacher for another God- knows- when period that prompted me to come in and hope for the best.

Then a man appeared in front of us “everyone should get seated. My name is Mr. Lawani and I will be organizing you guys today with Mrs. Nadia who will be here shortly. Now everyone of you should look at the back of his/her chair you will see a number written at the back with a white board marker; can you all see that?”
A mild noise ensued as everyone began looking for his/her number. “Can we all see it?” “Yes!” we chorused. “Good. We are going to be calling you guys in with your number please ensure you respond promptly when you’re called to avoid disqualification”.

My number was 39 – that was the second to the last number –we were 40 in number. “Number one!” the man’s deep voice boomed in the microphone “sir!” came a lady’s voice. Then a dark plump lady walked briskly from the front row towards the man.

A woman (who introduced herself as Mrs. Nadia) came to join Mr. Lawani and together they started assessing the lady. They checked her documents to ensure she has the required documents and they also assessed her dressing. She was passed and was allowed to go into the office. The rest of us were as silent as a dead meat.

After about 15-20 minutes, the deep voice boomed again “number two” yes sir!”A lanky guy stepped forward. As he turned to face the man and woman who will assess him, I realized it was the guy who, together with a lady, had responded to me earlier outside the gate.
For the next one hour, names were called and applicants went in; we didn’t have any idea how the interview went because we haven’t seen anyone come out.

I was already bored and was feeling sleepy. My number is still very far behind so I started dozing. “Number twenty two!” silence. “Number twenty two!” silence. At this point I jolted awake.

Everyone was looking around and wondering who number 22 was. Then a deep drowsy male voice answered “sir! I’m here sir!” everyone looked at him with surprise; the guy has obviously dozed off. Then Mr. Lawani’s voice came “number 22 is disqualified; please security take him away”.
I became afraid and alert; you can’t afford to sleep here Dotman; I told myself.

There were murmurs as the guy started begging frantically “please sir, I’m sorry sir it was a mistake” the man was taken away by the security despite his pleadings.

“Number twenty three” “sir!” a lady responded and after she was assessed, she went in. About a minute later as the lady went in, a tall heavily built dark man suddenly appeared from the entrance of the interview building and walked to Mrs. Nadia. He spoke with her for a few minutes and walked back inside the building.
Mrs. Nadia turned to her partner (Mr. Lawani) and whispered something to him – obviously she was relaying the message she received from the man who came out moments ago.

Another minute passed, then the bombshell dropped.

“Number thirty nine!” silence. “Number thirty nine” “sir” I answered meekly. Then a sea of eyes turned back to look at me and at that moment I felt my legs crushing. I wished I could wither away like a feather in the wind; I wished the ground could open up and just swallow me. I was taken by surprise.

What happened? Why did they skip so many numbers? How could they jump from number 23 to number 39? These unanswered questions kept playing in my head as I picked up my bag and started walking slowly towards the front row.

My steps were unsteady and slow as I make my way to the organizers. I could hear some murmurs and mild laughter; everyone was looking at my oversized shirt, faded trousers and worn out shoes. I kept looking down as I made my way.

I finally looked up as I arrived in front of the organizers, I noticed that Mrs. Nadia was trying to keep herself from laughing but she couldn’t hide it; I could see the glint in her eyes. Suddenly the mild laughter and murmurs became very loud. I turned around and realized everyone was laughing and pointing at my back.

Oh Lord, I prayed silently, please let it not be what I’m thinking.

But it was.

In my haste to make it early to the venue earlier this morning, and after wasting so much time in selecting an outfit, I didn’t check thoroughly the trouser I finally picked. The trouser is one of my very old one which I had stopped wearing for some time now because it has two small holes at the buttocks area.
As I turned to check I realized it was the same trouser. I almost cried; the humiliation was TOO much.

Mrs. Nadia couldn’t hold herself any longer immediately she saw it too; she burst out in laughter. Mr. Lawani too was amused but he managed to keep himself in check. I thought it was over and I would be sent home in humiliation. I regretted coming for the interview in the first place.

However to my surprise, Mr. Lawani asked me to bring out my documents. I looked at him in disbelief; but he repeated himself “let me see your documents”. I quickly brought it out and after going through it he looked at me with contempt “you didn’t bring your certificate along; why?”

I started trembling; but before I could say a word Mrs. Nadia shocked me with her words “just let him go inside please; we don’t have time. He’s already been cleared”.

I thought I was dreaming as I walked through the door that led into the building. There was a long passage with doors on both sides. I paused at the first door and began contemplating where I am supposed to go. A lady suddenly appeared from a door at the far end of the passage and said “Are you Mr. Apata Dotun?” “Yes ma” I replied.

She then motioned for me to come inside. I walked towards the far end and stopped when I got to the front of the door; I took a deep breath; say a word of prayer and I went in.

Inside the office were four people – two middle aged man and woman, a young dark lady (the one who welcomed me inside) and another fair lady who sat facing the two middle aged.
I greeted everyone but only the dark lady answered. The older people didn’t even look up, neither did the fair lady. “So Miss. Marian, you will receive a message from us tonight or tomorrow morning” the man said. “Thank you so much sir.” The lady sitting in front of them bowed a little and stood up.

Immediately she turned I saw her face clearly – oh so it’s you! I thought to myself. She was the rude lady whom I first talked to earlier in the morning. Our eyes met for a fleeting moment before she stepped around me and left. “Mr. Apata Dotun right?” the woman motioned at me.

“Yes ma” “ok, you know what; just drop all your documents there, we are already overdue here” she pointed to a table at one corner of the room “we will send you a message tomorrow”. “Alright ma” I quickly did as I was asked and I left the room.

Outside the door, the passage was empty again. I heaved a deep breath and started working towards the door through which I came in. The door behind me opened and the lady came out again “Mr. Dotun you can’t pass through there; there is another exit here” she pointed at one of the doors on the passage.

I looked at the door she pointed and saw the word EXIT pasted on it. I opened the door and found myself in another small passage that led me back to the compound. I felt relieved as I stepped into the compound again. I glanced at the canopy where I sat earlier and noticed that the number of applicants has dwindled.

But where are the other applicants going? I wondered to myself as I made my way through the gate and flag down a cab.

TUESDAY

I woke up very late that Tuesday morning. I had a late dinner the previous night and that made me quite heavy. I checked the time; it was 9:30am. I walked lazily to the bathroom and washed my face. As I walked back into the room, I heard my phone beep twice.

I ignored it at first and was about to head outside when I suddenly remembered; I quickly picked up the phone and realized it was a text message. I was disappointed when I saw that it was one of those random messages from service providers.

However, I noticed that my phone continued blinking a blue light, and that indicates an unread message. I carefully checked my inbox and the third message read thus:

"Hello Mr. Apata Dotun, we are happy to inform you that your application was successful and you have been offered a job as a Secretary to the Managing Director. You are to come tomorrow for your employment letter and other necessities".

Mrs. Nadia
HRM.

#ToBeContinued

(1) (Reply)

Until The Last / Ibadan Book Club Partners Race Course Amphitheatre To Revive And Promote Reading / Consider Jesus, The Best Written Classical Christian Book.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.