Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,803 members, 7,806,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu (50410 Views)

Boy Escaping From Kidnappers Killed By Soldiers He Ran To For Help In Edo / Maina’s Son, Faisal Jumps Bail, Fled To US, EFCC Tells Court / Bayelsa Government Officials' Boat Capsized In A River While On Duty (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Islie: 12:29pm On Nov 12, 2020
A certain Lieutenant Colonel Bello, who was the Commanding Officer of the battalion, had led the soldiers to fire bullets at the scene.

At least six EndSARS protesters jumped into the river around the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos State on the evening of October 20, 2020, while the Nigerian Army deployed soldiers to fire bullets at peaceful protesters.

One of the six protesters, Caleb Ossai, told SaharaReporters that a boat operator came to their rescue and evacuated them to the Ikorodu area on the water.

He narrated that he was told a few persons, who were out of help, might have drowned.

Ossai said he was initially declared missing by his family members for close to a week before they traced him to the residence of a Good Samaritan in the Ikorodu area, where he was recuperating from the injuries he sustained during the ordeal.

The boat, which took the fleeing protesters from the Lekki Tollgate area to Ikorodu, almost capsized, according to the man who rescued Ossai, after he became unconscious during the incident.

In an interview with SaharaReporters, the 27-year-old said, "Trouble started when the soldiers arrived and started shooting, and some fell with injuries. People started running. Near the Lekki River where I was, some people also tried to escape from the bullets, and they began to push one another until some of us fell into the river. I could not swim, but I wore a white shirt. I was lucky to be visible, and the next time I woke up, I found myself in a house in the Ikorodu area.

"I could not find my phone or did not remember any contact of family members I could call. It took a week for my family members to be able to locate me. Many people jumped into that river. I am not sure everyone made it out alive. The man who hosted me in his house told me that the boat was filled and almost capsized as they journeyed to Ikorodu."

It will be recalled that the peaceful EndSARS protest in the Lekki Tollgate area turned into a blood field on the evening of October 20 and around 6.50 pm, when soldiers from the 65 Battalion, Nigerian Army, Bonny Camp, Victoria Island, opened fire on the protesters. The military men killed and injured several demonstrators.

A certain Lieutenant Colonel Bello, who was the Commanding Officer of the battalion, had led the soldiers to fire bullets at the scene.

While addressing the Lagos Panel of Inquiry, Bello claimed that he only fired blank ammunition into the air.

According to witnesses, while people were rushed to hospital after bleeding from serious bullet injuries, complaints about missing persons increased from friends and family members of youths who were suspected of having attended the Lekki Tollgate protest.

Ossai was one of such requests.

A day after the shootings, the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had initially denied any loss of life by gunfire or that he was aware of the deployment of soldiers.

Later, he admitted that two persons were killed in the incident, while the army said in a terse statement that the state government requested for a military clampdown on the protesters to enforce its earlier-than-scheduled curfew.

According to accounts of protesters, the deceased persons included two males; Folorunsho Olabisi and Anthony Okechukwu. His relatives have found Olabisi's body at the mortuary of St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos, with three bullet injuries.

https://saharareporters.com/2020/11/12/lekki-protesters-jumped-river-while-escaping-shooting-fled-ikorodu-%E2%80%93-survivor

6 Likes

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Righteousness89(m): 12:35pm On Nov 12, 2020
When the Foundation is built on lies, it becomes difficult to believe any other thing..

That's the Problem of the Nigerian Army, lagos state government and the lekki Shootings..

We need to understand the Importance of Truth in our affairs.
Truth could be very bitter
Truth could be Hurting
Truth could be Painful
But Truth sets Free!

"And ye Shall know the Truth and the Truth will set us Free"

180 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by inoki247: 12:36pm On Nov 12, 2020
All is well don't even know what to believe with the way this case is going we have to wait till Judgement day before we can get the clearer picture nd the unedited Video....

11 Likes

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by bigdammyj: 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2020
Noted
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Merimental(m): 12:58pm On Nov 12, 2020
if d number of casualties/victims or der family members start to speak up about d ugly experience regarding d terror of 20-10-20, Hague will be convicting alot of dis animals in uniform in earnest.

Som ppl are probably yet to connect with der family.

Dangerous country to live in.

110 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by HopeUzodinma: 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
Plenty of the protesters are still missing. The truth must prevail soon. You can't kill innocent nigerians and expect not to pay. You must pay.

150 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Okoroawusa: 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2020
Saharareporters and lies...

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Merimental(m): 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2020
Okoroawusa:
Saharareporters and lies...

u could be in his shoes n somebody somwer will just call ur experience a lie. hw would u feel ??

216 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by poshestmina(f): 1:09pm On Nov 12, 2020
Enough with the lies please!!!
They jumped into the river or you killed them and threw their bodies into the river?

The tollgate isn't that close to the River sef undecided undecided undecided

Mad, shameful ,demonic ,wicked monsters in power .
angry angry.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Moferere: 1:15pm On Nov 12, 2020
One protest, different accounts

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Omoboricash(m): 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
poshestmina:
They jumped into the river or you killed them and threw their bodies into the river?

angry angry.

Did u read the story at all or u lack comprehension of the passage?

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by olamidedivotee(f): 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
poshestmina:

angry angry.

have u been to the toll gate before.
there is lagoon behind the plaza.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Okoroawusa: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2020
Merimental:

u could be in his shoes n somebody somwer will just call ur experience a lie. hw would u feel ??
Akuko

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by adekanmbi1986(m): 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
Hmm
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by digicreator: 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
Really
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by slawormiir: 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
damnnn niggarrrr...
Isoright
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Osnami: 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
[center][/center]
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Golan007: 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2020
Sahara Reporters?

Just know you are reading lies.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by 100PercentWork(m): 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2020
T
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Ayoswit(f): 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2020
There is nothing about this country that amazes me anymore undecided, even military govt wasn't this bad cry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by atobs4real(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2020
As easy as that. Jumping into the lagoon and meet at Ikorodu. That person must be a swimmer.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by sayisayi(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2020
Lagoon lullabies grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Jackyboy: 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2020
cheesy
udonminit..................chai wetin lekki protesters no see for Tinubu hand cry cry cry
aquatic protesters ..........kai

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Brandonx(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2020
The truth would come out one day.
But I'm afraid this is Nigeria they would anything just to sweep the thing under the carpet.

4 Likes

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Dollanaira: 5:03pm On Nov 12, 2020
So sad
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by funmilade4real(m): 5:03pm On Nov 12, 2020
Continue
Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by Dozis: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2020
A country that toys with human lives....
To think that some gullible youths are here discrediting the shooting report gives me shivers.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Protesters Jumped Into River While Escaping From Shooting, Fled To Ikorodu by funmilade4real(m): 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2020
Dollanaira:
So sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram Gave 15-min Quranic Lecture To Kuje Inmates Before Setting Them Free / Dino Melaye Reacts To Claim That He Didn't Graduate From ABU Zaria By SR. / "Produce Nnamdi Kanu Within 7 Days" - IPOB Tells FG, South-East Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.