Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons (52642 Views)

Mortuary Caught Fire In Benue, Corpses Burnt Beyond Recognition (Pictures) / Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeleton / COVID-19 In Ecuador: Cardboard Coffins, Over 100 Bodies Litter The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by ikorodureporta: 3:33pm On Nov 12, 2020
An epidemic may break out within the environs of the Ore General Hospital, Ondo State, as hundreds of corpses are piling up on the premises of the hospital’s mortuary.

PUNCH Metro learnt from recent visitors to the public hospital that bodies of men and women were openly placed on corridors where they were beaten by rain.

Horrifying photos and videos of the mortuary surroundings obtained by our correspondent showed some bodies were on the pathways, while a few were covered with iron sheets.

Concrete blocks were used to demarcate the placements of some of the cadavers.

Inside a room that appeared like an office, corpses of many people, including women, were put on the floor.

Two standing corpses in the room had become skeletons.

PUNCH Metro observed that the mortuary had two small generators kept in a shade.

Our source, who visited to collect the remains of a neighbour, lamented the condition of the mortuary.

He noted that the facility lacked proper embalming tools, adding that the morticians said the general hospital was not supported with funds.

“My neighbor died in an accident while coming to Lagos and his remains were brought to the mortuary by officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.

“We came here to pick the body and what we saw was unbelievable. The corpses are just too many. Those washing them said they could number close to 300 and they were abandoned by their families for more than a year. They only embalm them on the floor so that they will not smell,” the source said.

Another visitor said there was an uncompleted building where another set of corpses were kept.

He explained that the mortuary workers said the hospital was planning a mass burial for some of them.

“A relative of mine died and his body was deposited here. I was called to come and see where his corpse was kept.

“As I was walking to the mortuary, someone called my attention to the bodies on the floor and that I was beginning to step on them. I was in shock.

“Some of the bodies are where sun and rain beat them. Some are covered with clothes and others with iron sheets. A wrapper they probably got from an accident scene was used to cover a few others. The bodies are not fresh. They are becoming rotten on the floor where they are kept. It is not a good experience at all,” he added.

The Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Akinyele Semudara, declined comment, saying he could not speak to our correspondent on the phone.

The Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Ajibayo Adeyeye, said workers at the hospital were overwhelmed due to the amount of bodies brought to the mortuary.

He said, “I was also at the place yesterday (Tuesday) and I was confronted with the same situation. We are aware of it. The problem is a result of the location of the hospital; it is close to the highway. A lot of accident victims get dumped in the hospital. You’ll find a situation where the police just bring corpses, drop them and go away.

“Corpses that are products of accidents are coroner cases. That means they cannot be buried without an autopsy or the police bringing an order of the court.

“In the midst of the hospital coping with people that are still alive, the workers easily get overwhelmed by these corpses. However, we have been appealing to the police authorities to take care of their cases so that the bodies can be buried.”

Adeyeye said conducting a mass burial was also challenging due to the problem of getting land without resistance from people who owned land in the area.

He noted that the state might create a crematorium to deal with the situation.

Source: https://punchng.com/abandoned-bodies-litter-ondo-mortuary-as-corpses-turn-skeleton/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by thatsleepboy1: 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
Lack of accountability and data base and may be poverty are the causes of these things. When a person dies in an accident, his relatives whereabout will not be known thereby making them to think he has been kidnapped or kill by some pple. We need to hold ourselves accountable and not the government for what we do and indulge in. Common things are not common. Filling of manifest before travelling or letting an important person know what you're about to embark on is key sometimes cos we never can know how or where or when sth bad gonna happen.

FTC for the second time.

I dedicate it to my fellow security guards out there working 24hrs under the sun w/out enough pay and delayed salaries.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by sexiestharam(f): 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
Nigeria is the most reckless and most careless country in the world. No value for the living and no value for the dead.

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Ezemarcel(m): 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
Double wahala for dead body

The problem is that in Nigeria we attach so much in celebration of the dead....

If u no get money why not open ground and bury ur dead....

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by rocknation62(m): 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
Nothing is working in this country called Nigeria!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by SAMBARRY: 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
angry
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by RaptObserver: 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
Na wa o. Thank God say I don eat before opening this news thread. Cremating them will be cheaper and safer. Africans re yet to buy into cremation but it is no big deal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
No money for burial.
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by vickertony(m): 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
This country sef embarassed

1 Like

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Stopfapping: 7:41pm On Nov 12, 2020
Victims of sars
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by sylve11: 7:41pm On Nov 12, 2020
Dropped physical cloaks. I wish them a good journey.... sad cool
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Homeboiy: 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2020
No picture

1 Like

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by PCG001: 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2020
աɛ ռɛɛɖ tօ քʀօtɛċt օʊʀsɛʟʋɛs sքɨʀɨtʊaʟʟʏ aռʏաaʏ aռʏɦօա ɨռ tɦɨs ċօʊռtʀʏ
sɛɮɨ tɦɛʏ taʟҡ saʏ աɛ ɢɛt ɮʟaċҡ ʍaɢɨċ
ɨt's tɨʍɛ tօ staʀt ʊsɨռɢ ɨt
ʍaռʏ ʟɨʋɛs աɛʀɛ ʟօst ɮɛċaʊsɛ tɦɛʏ ɖօռ't քʀօtɛċt tɦɛʍsɛʟʋɛs sքɨʀɨtʊaʟʟʏ
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by OMOJOHN001: 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2020
They have mine their Skull, hummmmm.
Una dey try for this region. TUEEEEEH .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by famousongoing: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
This is bad
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by WibusJaga: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
No wahala.
As the master once said, let the dead bury the dead.
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by naturallyhost: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
Thanks for not posting the pics

6 Likes

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Honestlywwww: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
Still fibbles on the first page.

landers should i go to bed.
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by naturallyhost: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
Oh God!! Warisdis
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by JimmyDarmody: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
I am so angered by the high rate of irresponsibility in this country. People don't know their roles and thus they fail to play it. From the leaders down to the very kindergartens.

A very failed nation.

4 Likes

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Imstrong2(m): 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2020
Our health sector is in a total mess

3 Likes

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by gboyetade: 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2020
Wonder
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by alphaconde(m): 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
I know that I would die someday

But may it never be through an accident

Ore Lagos road has consumed souls

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
Failed state...both the living and the dead have suffered the effects of misgovernance. Youths should get ready to take over in 2023.

If the Governor cut his security vote or convoy this mortuary will have adequately been funded.

3 Likes

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Cocobongo(m): 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
JimmyDarmody:
I am so angered by the high rate of irresponsibility in this country. People don't know their roles and thus they fail to play it. From the leaders down to the very kindergartens.

A very failed nation.

Guy if you no get anything to talk, be silent...
Everything government... Na governments go flush your toilet for you abi?
Go to the north and see if you would see this kind of things....

2 Likes

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Cocobongo(m): 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
F
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by fergie001: 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
I am just angry reading this.
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by oluwaseyi0: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2020
Some of the accident victims are probably still been looked for by their family

Cremating is the way forward

1 Like

Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Kingrefreshed: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2020
Re: Abandoned Bodies Litter Ondo Mortuary As Corpses Turn Skeletons by Enudapan: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Rushed To Hospital With Big Nail In His Throat In Kano Looks Calm. Graphic / God Bless This Very Pretty Lady. The Govt Shld Provide A Plastic Leg For Her. / Early Signs Of Sexually Transmitted Disease You Should Not Ignore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.