Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) (37329 Views)

"Real Coup Plotters Are Sit-tight Leaders Who Manipulate Constitutions"-doumbouy / World Leaders Reactions As USA Opens Jerusalem Embassy / 3 World Leaders Who Actually Had Body Doubles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by omenka(m): 9:38am On Nov 13, 2020
By Jennifer Hansler and Nicole Gaouette, CNN.

(CNN) Leaders around the world have offered their congratulations to President-elect Joe Biden even as President Donald Trump refuses to concede his election loss.

The calls, from some of the US's most consequential allies, signal a repudiation of Trump's attempt to cling to power, and the incoming Democratic president has held a number of phone calls with key US allies in the days since CNN projected his victory.

These are some of the leaders to whom Biden has spoken or who have offered their congratulations on his victory:

Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Prime Minister spoke with Biden on Monday and offered his congratulations again, after initially congratulating the US President-elect on Saturday.

The two discussed the coronavirus pandemic, climate change, NATO, trade and racial justice, according to a tweet from Trudeau and a readout from Biden's team.

Under Trump, the US and Canada have at times had a rocky relationship, particularly on the issue of trade. In August, Canada slapped retaliatory tariffs on US goods after the US reimposed the tariffs on Canadian aluminum that had initially been lifted.

Boris Johnson

Biden and the British Prime Minister, who is seen as a close ally of Trump, spoke on Tuesday.

"They discussed the close and longstanding relationship between our countries and committed to building on this partnership in the years ahead, in areas such as trade and security -- including through NATO," a readout from a Downing Street spokesperson said. "The Prime Minister and President-elect also looked forward to working closely together on their shared priorities, from tackling climate change, to promoting democracy, and building back better from the coronavirus pandemic."

On Wednesday, Johnson said it was "extremely exciting" to discuss an upcoming climate change summit. Trump has largely dismissed the gravity of the global climate crisis and withdrew the US from the Paris climate accord.

Emmanuel Macron

The French leader called to offer Biden congratulations on Tuesday and used the conversation to touch on a wide variety of issues that he looks forward to cooperating on -- perhaps a pointed reference to the Trump administration's disdain for its traditional alliances. Macron pointed to climate change, health, the defense of fundamental rights and the fight against terrorism, among others.

Macron initially invested a lot of time and energy trying to build strong ties to Trump, but the US leader's contempt for NATO, his tariffs on European products, and his withdrawal from the Iran nuclear pact and the climate agreement fed into Macron's conclusion, shared with the Economist magazine in 2019, that Europe couldn't rely on the US for security and was turning its back on Europe.

Angela Merkel

Biden and the German Chancellor spoke by phone Tuesday. "The President-elect expressed gratitude to Chancellor Merkel for her congratulations, praised her leadership, and noted that he looked forward to strengthening relations between the United States and Germany and revitalizing the trans-Atlantic relationship, including through NATO and the EU," according to a readout from Biden's team. "The President-elect noted his interest in working closely with Chancellor Merkel on common interests and challenges, including containing COVID-19; addressing the climate crisis, and working toward a sustainable global economic recovery. He also welcomed the opportunity to cooperate on a shared agenda with the EU."

Merkel and Trump have had a rocky relationship. CNN's Carl Bernstein reported that Trump demeaned Merkel in phone calls, even calling her "stupid" and "accused her of being in the pocket of the Russians." Merkel countered his attacks with facts, Bernstein reported.

Micheál Martin

The Irish Taoiseach, or Prime Minister, spoke with Biden on Tuesday and tweeted about their "warm and engaging" call. Martin clearly signaled Ireland's dismissal of Trump's attempts to contest the election results, describing Biden's win as "an outstanding personal mandate."

Trump's relationship with Ireland was seen as fraught. His support for Brexit led many in Ireland to worry that he didn't appreciate how it could destabilize the Good Friday peace agreement, analysts said. Trump's delay in appointing an ambassador to Dublin was another issue; his ambassador, Edward Crawford, formally started the job in July 2019, two years after the previous ambassador left.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan

The Turkish President, with whom Trump had bonded and spoke to frequently, congratulated Biden in a message released Tuesday.

"I congratulate you on your election success and express my sincere wishes for the peace and prosperity of the people of the United States of America," Erdogan said in the message.

"I reiterate our determination to work closely with the US administration and believe that the strong cooperation and alliance between our countries will continue to contribute to world peace in the future as it has until today," Erdogan said.

King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud

The Saudi King sent a congratulatory cable to Biden on his victory, the Saudi Embassy in Washington said in a statement on Monday morning.

"In his cable, the King expressed his sincere congratulations and best wishes of success to Mr. Biden and to the friendly people of the United States of America steady progress and prosperity," the embassy statement said. "The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques praised the historical deep-rooted relations between the two friendly countries, adding that both countries are keen to develop and enhance these relations in all fields."

The Trump administration fostered and maintained close ties with the Saudis despite deep bipartisan criticism of the Kingdom's involvement, which they deny, in the murder of US-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi as well as their involvement in Yemen's bloody civil war.

Scott Morrison

Australia's Prime Minister congratulated Biden in a call Wednesday night, according to Morrison and a readout from Biden's team.

"The President-elect underscored that the United States and Australia share both values and history, and noted that the United States and Australia have fought side-by-side in every conflict since World War I," the readout said.

"There are no greater friends and no greater allies than Australia and the US," Morrison tweeted. "I look forward to strengthening even further our deep and enduring alliance, and to working with him closely as we face the world's many challenges together."

Moon Jae-In

Biden and the South Korean President spoke on Wednesday evening, according to a readout from Biden's team and a tweet from Moon.

"The President-elect praised President Moon's strong leadership on COVID-19, noting his commitment to cooperate on addressing the pandemic, building global health security, and stimulating global economic recovery," the readout said. "He observed that he looks forward to working closely with President Moon on other shared challenges, from North Korea to climate change."

Moon tweeted: "I just spoke to @JoeBiden and congratulated him on his election. We reaffirmed our firm commitment to a robust ROK-US alliance and peaceful and prosperous Korean Peninsula."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/11/politics/world-leaders-biden/index.html

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by vanbonattel: 9:47am On Nov 13, 2020
It's only a congratulatory message, they haven't sworn him in until all the grey areas are trashed out.

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Fahdiga(m): 9:48am On Nov 13, 2020
Let the best man emerge but Omenka how many times will post this news. I bet it gives you joy because of your hatred toward Trump

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by OfoIgbo: 9:50am On Nov 13, 2020
Why didn't they add Buhari? Is he no longer a world leader? grin grin grin

Anyway those so-called world leaders are not justices of the US supreme court cool cool

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by omenka(m): 9:52am On Nov 13, 2020
Fahdiga:
Let the best man emerge but Omenka how many times will post this news. I bet it gives you joy because of your hatred toward Trump
Can you show me anywhere else I have posted THIS NEWS?

If you cant, then you're probably the most pathological liar on the face of the planet and that could cost you way more than just a rebuke someday.

There is something I see really wrong with you people, particularly pdp supporters. Your minds have become so bleeped up you don't even see the difference between a lie and truth anymore. Just look at how you lied like "it doesn't mean anything" to you. Is this how you guys behave in real life?

What a pity.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 13, 2020
Trump Should continue Dreaming.

i Wonder How that Fool made it to that Seat at first place

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Afamed: 9:52am On Nov 13, 2020
Conceding defeat is just a tradition. It has no constitutional backing that he must concede. One thing is certain, by Jan 20, Trump will not spend any extra minute in Whitehouse. That's 100% certain

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Mokason288(m): 9:57am On Nov 13, 2020
Afamed:
Conceding defeat is just a tradition. It has no constitutional backing that he must concede. One thing is certain, by Jan 20, Trump will not spend any extra minute in Whitehouse. That's 100% certain
Don’t be too sure ... Trump is a bully he could bully the Supreme Court to do otherwise

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Ibadansun1: 10:00am On Nov 13, 2020
Mokason288:

Don’t be too sure ... Trump is a bully he could bully the Supreme Court to do otherwise
He will have to argue his case to reach the supreme court

He has lost more than a dozen cases already since he started running around looking for who to blame.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by omenka(m): 10:09am On Nov 13, 2020
Mokason288:

It is impossible. He can only win his case through a convincing argument, but even that isn't feasible. The margin has become too wide it is nearly impossible for any litigation to upturn the election in Trump's favour.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Kyase(m): 10:12am On Nov 13, 2020
omenka:

Cc: Mynd44, Lalasticlala.

You forget to add, Israel, so that the wailing will be sweeter bro

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by sapientia(m): 10:31am On Nov 13, 2020
He is the president of USA till 20th January.

After tomorrow electoral college voting, biden will officially become the president elect.

But Trump caused all this trolling.

Nothing concern me sha.

Fuel is now N170 in the Next Level change.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Obrigardo: 10:33am On Nov 13, 2020
he wants to collect every last dollar he can to start trump tv cheesy

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Obrigardo: 10:34am On Nov 13, 2020
Mokason288:

No he can't, if it even makes it to the supreme court, they will be laughed at.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by GreatWork5(m): 11:07am On Nov 13, 2020
Congrats Biden

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by bigdammyj: 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
Noted
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Englov(m): 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
Ok

Why is my name not there?

Meanwhile, Check my signature
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
buhari is not on the list grin
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by seunmsg(m): 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
Mokason288:

Only in your dreams. If he has the capacity to bully the judiciary, he won’t be losing all the cases he instituted since the election was called for Biden. He will be disgraced out of office on 20th January, 2020.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by superior1: 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
I don’t get why this is news except someone is not sure of his legitimacy.

The main challenger of this election says it isn’t over yet, he would have his day at the court. All these PR to create affirmation seemly suggest someone feels he isn’t what he claimed to be.

If I were Biden and sure of my victory, I will simply be enjoying guguru and epa, waiting my swearing in

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Coldie(m): 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
As far as Buhari congratulated Joe thats all I want to hear

1 Like

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Bobotic(m): 11:08am On Nov 13, 2020
Baba na first person wey rush grin grin grin grin

While Supreme court still dey work grin grin

God Help Us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by chinavs9ja(m): 11:09am On Nov 13, 2020
Bubuharist your darling daddy is not on the list undecided

Tueh cool
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by moneyissweet(m): 11:09am On Nov 13, 2020
Ok
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Enudapan: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
Congrats
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2020
Is Buhari not a world leader?

Whosoever that rigged this congratulatory message will pay dearly for it

Donald Trump is like that proverbial little bird NZA, who after a heavy meal challenged his Chi to a wrestling match

Joe Biden on the other hand is like that proverbial ENEKE, the bird who said that since hunters had learn how to shoot without missing, Him ENEKE the bird had learnt how to flying without perching.

So Why Trump keeps and continues making noise, Biden keeps winning more and more.

10 Likes

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by TecM0: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2020
cool

President Nnamdi Kanu of Biafla Facebook Republic should Call Trump and congratulate him

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2020
Where is Buhari's name abi he no be world leader?
Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Openbusiness: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2020
In 2000, Al Gore was the Leftists lamestream media president-elect for 37 days, until the Supreme Court ruled in favor of GW Bush, and it was Bush that became president. Biden should enjoy his 5 minutes of fame as president of the Fake News media, because he won't be President of America grin. The Supreme Court will decide the winner. Even America's electoral body HAS NOT declared Biden as president-elect. Only the Fake News media of the Democrats, Globalists and NWO are declaring Biden president elect. But unfortunately for them, it is not the media's declaration that will determine who gets sworn in by January. Like the Secretary of State Pompeo has said, Trump will have a smooth transition into his 2nd term as POTUS grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by muykem: 11:11am On Nov 13, 2020
Means the world has rejected Trump and will soon face Gbagbo treatment.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Dpharisee: 11:11am On Nov 13, 2020
Why is it that Yoruba Muslims always go in opposite direction to Igbos.
Igbos supported Obasanjo they went for Falae.
Igbos voted for Yaradua, Yoruba Muslims Buhari.
Igbos backed Jonathan they went for Buhari.
Igbos supported Obaseki Obaseki they went for Ize-Iyamu.
Yoruba Muslims hated Wike while Igbos were supporting him as PDP icon. Today Yoruba Muslims call Wike a hero for killing Igbos in Oyigbo Obigbo.
Igbos supported Trump while Yoruba Muslims are singing the praises of Biden.
Can this 2 groups see any issue from the same perspective? sad

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Leaders Who Have Congratulated Joe Biden (List) by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 13, 2020
What of BUBU....hope he's not shocked

I'm sure he'll be very happy.....After all Trump said Bubu is the most lifeless person he has ever met

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Journalist Removes Her Top While Interviewing Mayor / Armed Men Attack Monrovia Ebola Clinic, 29 Patients Flee / Start Of A New World War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.