Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System (39945 Views)

119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Cmanforall: 8:02pm On Nov 14, 2020
Ctorch:
Nnewi traditional Stool is Hereditary and not by Election –Igwe Nnewi

I abolished Osu caste system so their pretty women would marry – Igwe Nnewi

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/i-abolished-osu-caste-system-so-their-pretty-women-would-marry-igwe-nnewi/%3famp=1

Photo of Obi of Otolo and Igwe of Nnewi in Anambra State
Good thing if the people will abide by it.
But I heard that those that abolish this won't also allow their children to marry one.

Is this true?
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by royal231(m): 8:04pm On Nov 14, 2020
OK igwe.. Respect.. But if u abolish osy caste system why didn't you take one of them as your wife?!

You were supposed to marry one
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Emanodimo(m): 8:20pm On Nov 14, 2020
What do you miss most about your old life; that is, before you became a traditional ruler?

Early, I started staying away from women. In fact, their lives pissed me off. I only had a girlfriend when I lived in Calabar (in Cross River State). I sat the Standard Six Certificate examination there. Calabar had a stadium where festivals were held and it also served as a cinema. She liked us to attend such festivals together. She would book for our tickets. When I came back to Nnewi, during my students’ union days, I ran into another one who requested money from me to buy a photo album. I told her I didn’t have money and the relationship ended there.

So, in the real sense of it, I didn’t have a girlfriend the way people have girlfriends these days. I lived in Kano and had no girlfriend. All I did as a youth was to take care of myself, cook for myself and read. I had no business with women. Unfortunately, this generation is funny. Today’s men are milked dry by women. When you give them money, your energy and time, you are wasting and killing yourself gradually.

That's some sort of wisdom wrapped insyd

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Voiky: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2020
A long, but interesting read..

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by echeprecious: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2020
Rugaria:

Have you thought about how effective it will be to modernise the Nze na Ozo society, the Ûmûada grouping, Ndi ichie, the age grade and others into effective administrative tools that can be used to run a modern state instead of all these foreign terminologies they burden us with, such as, the Senate, the house of representatives, etc. "Offor" can easily replace the "Mace" in legislative gatherings and will command more awe and fear..

Best comment so far!!!

4 Likes

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by falopey: 8:25pm On Nov 14, 2020
Juliusmalema:
For thos saying Igbo enwe Eze and there Rubbish propaganda.

This is a testament that Igbos have kings before the arrival of the white man

As for the caste system, I reserve my comment.
Did you read where he said there were few kings back then? Majority of Igbo town and villages had no king. Each household was headed by a family head. No king

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Emanodimo(m): 8:27pm On Nov 14, 2020
Patrioticman007:
Imagine they are still practising OSU caste system in the 21st century.
What type of barbarians did Lord Lugard join us with, may he not sleep well in his grave.

The people ought to have fight against this erroneous belief... Yet, they produce no of Christians, with no of Bishop, Fathers and Venerable in their midst.

According to the Igwe narrative on how OSU caste came into existence was purely at man discretion not spiritual or deities incline.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 14, 2020
Rugaria:

Have you thought about how effective it will be to modernise the Nze na Ozo society, the Ûmûada grouping, Ndi ichie, the age grade and others into effective administrative tools that can be used to run a modern state instead of all these foreign terminologies they burden us with, such as, the Senate, the house of representatives, etc. "Offor" can easily replace the "Mace" in legislative gatherings and will command more awe and fear..

You're right, that's exactly what will happen.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by chizpim(m): 8:33pm On Nov 14, 2020
Osu cast system should be abolished, I met a wonderful girl and planned to marry her until she told me shes Osu... I cried bitterly, I can't marry her , if I marry her my kids also becomes Osu that's the annoying part.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by chizpim(m): 8:40pm On Nov 14, 2020
gidgiddy:

The Osu cast system was one of those primitive, fetish practices of the olden days. Its more or less now dead
its not dead at all, it's still very active and people are scared to marry them.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by ekusigo: 8:44pm On Nov 14, 2020
Juliusmalema:
For thos saying Igbo enweghi Eze and there Rubbish propaganda.

Don't mind them!
Igbo love and cherish their Ezes, but he must love and cherish them too... otherwise say what say what? anything can happen.

As for me the caste system is responsible for the backwardness of many igbo communities.

Customs and Traditions that do not bring development, unity and general progress that one na custom?

In my village have put my leg in their shoes and seen their pain.

3 Likes

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by focus7: 8:48pm On Nov 14, 2020
Abolishing the osu cast, does that abolish it in the mind of the people who seems to have hate engraved in their hearts eternally
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by simhosting: 8:49pm On Nov 14, 2020
Good
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Sleekfingers: 8:51pm On Nov 14, 2020
Make dem send them to lagos na......whether i go one marry as my second wife......
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by EMMY76: 8:52pm On Nov 14, 2020
Wow what a great king no be today nnewi people open eye. I never even knew that there used to be lions in the bushes of igboland in the 60s it's good to read.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by jrusky(m): 8:57pm On Nov 14, 2020
Juliusmalema:
For thos saying Igbo enwe Eze and there Rubbish propaganda.

Don't reserve your comment as the caste be sincere to yourself. The ugwe is a man of honour from what I just read only a devil and useless human will hate fellow human and tagged them Osu.

God created everyone and he never named or called anyone Osu.

Air your view and put devil to shame reserving comment is not accepted on this particular thread.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Housing(m): 8:58pm On Nov 14, 2020
I enjoyed the first hand information and undiluted history accounts of this great King.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 14, 2020
The Nri (Eri) priest-kings came from Bini, they were children of the Ogiso, the 'sky kings'.

The Ogiso in turn were the illegitimate scions of Oduduwa (whom a lot of disrespectful Ibos on here are quick to refer to as the 'demon who fell fron the sky'.

Oduduwa spawned the Ogiso dynasty during the short period he resided at Igodomigodo, while on exile from his throne at Ile-Ife.

Ile-Ife the Source! Oonirisha the King of Kings!
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Judolisco(m): 9:54pm On Nov 14, 2020
FuckThaMod:

Tampering with a tradition that has been there for centuries is a wrong move!
so d old igwe's use to ride on horses and donkeys, when they saw cars they started buying cars.... Killing of twins was rampant in calabar Mary slessor came and showed people d light they stopped killing twins.... Alot of example like d slave trade... But if u choose to stay in d dark its ok
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Brodello: 9:59pm On Nov 14, 2020
SpecialAdviser:

Die? Lol. Please wake up. Nothing is impossible in today's world.

Leave am make him dey whine himself

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:15pm On Nov 14, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Originally when the Igbos or Ibos settled in the present day Eastern Nigeria, they arrived with three leaders, two were spiritual leaders and the youngest of the three a hereditary King known as Obi a King by birthright. The first was the Eze Nri of Awka a Priest King, the second the Eze Aro of Arochukwu a King and the third the Obi of Nnewi a political and war ruler. The Obi of Onitsha was well qualified to become an Obi being disputably the first among the two sons of....

The Aros know this history (Nnewi being a relation and a leader among the Igbos) and this is part of the reason why there are no Aro settlements in Nnewi.
This is from Wikipedia. Nevertheless NRI never crowned Nnewi. Nnewi was actually the first Igbo clan to be lead by an obi. Nri was just the spiritual capital, nothing more
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:18pm On Nov 14, 2020
OfoIgbo:
Nnewi monarchs were crowned by the Nris. I wonder whether that practice is still going on
That is a ballant lie. Nri was just the spiritual capital of Nri environs not Anaedo. It's like you haven't heard of Anaedo before. Nri never crowned anybody from the anaedo clan
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 14, 2020
Bkayyy:

This is from Wikipedia. Nevertheless NRI never crowned Nnewi. Nnewi was actually the first Igbo clan to be lead by an obi. Nri was just the spiritual capital, nothing more

Yeah, I know.

Just that the moniker is funny and if you leave him he might write another one join though I believe he is going through his history and will still come back...Lol

@ your last statement..fact and undisputable.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:22pm On Nov 14, 2020
Rugaria:

It's like you don't want politicians to drive Benz in Anaigbo grin.
I suggest that the swearing in should be done in Ogwugwu Akpụ Okija

2 Likes

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 14, 2020
Bkayyy:

That is a ballant lie. Nri was just the spiritual capital of Nri environs not Anaedo. It's like you haven't heard of Anaedo before. Nri never crowned anybody from the anaedo clan

Gbam.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:25pm On Nov 14, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Yeah, I know.

Just that the moniker is funny and if you leave him he might write another one join though I believe he is going through his history and will still come back...Lol

@ your last statement..fact and undisputable.
I don't know whether the guy knows that Nnewi has three Obi and Anaedo clan answers to nobody. Same with Umuachalla clan of Okija, Ihiala, Uli and Ihembosi. All these clans are lead by Obi and Okpala of which the most prominent takes the fourth title of ọzọ known as Igwe.
Okija never fell to the whites
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:34pm On Nov 14, 2020
ekusigo:

Don't mind them!
Igbo love and cherish their Ezes, but he must love and cherish them too... otherwise say what say what? anything can happen.

As for me the caste system is responsible for the backwardness of many igbo communities.

Customs and Traditions that do not bring development, unity and general progress that one na custom?

In my village have put my leg in their shoes and seen their pain.
Please tell me one community that practice the caste system and is backward?
The caste system is of the mind and general acceptance. In real life, nobody will discourage you from marrying an osu if you insist just that your children will bear the burden of stigmatization. Once you marry osu, you and your entire generation becomes osu forever.
By the way Osu was a thing of choice. They were cowards that devoted themselves to Oracle to protect them and nobody wants issues with oracles. Osu can only cease to exist when all the oracles and shrines they are devoted to confirmed impotent and cleared.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 14, 2020
Bkayyy:

I don't know whether the guy knows that Nnewi has three Obi and Anaedo clan answers to nobody. Same with Umuachalla clan of Okija, Ihiala, Uli and Ihembosi. All these clans are lead by Obi and Okpala of which the most prominent takes the fourth title of ọzọ known as Igwe.
Okija never fell to the whites

He suppose know all these unless he wants to insert his own distortion just too feel alright.
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:36pm On Nov 14, 2020
femi4:
OSU caste system was followed out of ignorance
This is one issue I have with Nigerians, they criticize what they don't understand. Please how do somebody become osu?
If you know the answer then you'll understand the caste
Re: Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System by Bkayyy: 10:41pm On Nov 14, 2020
Juliusmalema:

He suppose know all these unless he wants to insert his own distortion just too feel alright.
But still the influence of Nri cant be neglected. Akanri are being sent all the way to these areas those days to cleanse the land if abomination was commited especially cases of suicide and the ọzọ system is still a proof that all these dynasties were linked. It's still a pain that there history were written in what contemporary humans can't read.
In truth Nri is to Ndigbo what Mecca is for Muslims

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Of Ife In Cheerful Mood At 50th Birthday Of Olu Of Ilaro(p / Fire Guts Ooni Of Ife Palace Courtyard Burnt Down To Ashes(photos,Video) / Ooni Ogunwusi Appears For Festival After Going Into Spiritual Seclusion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.