Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets (34074 Views)

Fulanis: The Major Cause Of Culture Clash In Nigeria / Reno Omokri Defends Arabic On Naira Note On His Social Media Page / Malcolm Omirhobo Sues FG, CBN, AGF Over Arabic Inscription On Naira, Army Logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 4:41pm On Nov 15, 2020
mu2sa2:
They're called arabic numerals - if you like you can say ipob Jewish forebears invented it.

Be civil Bro, I don't play religion or ethnic cards
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Arkmanbuddy(m): 4:41pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
Sighting this 1000 note as an example, The Arabic inscription on it simply means NAIRA DUBU(Hausa language) in Transliteration which means #1000.

It's Hausa language but written in Arabic.

The Arabic word for a thousand naira is ألف not نير دوبو as it's on our thousand note.

I can also write egberun naira (Yoruba language) in Arabic as we have it in Hausa language (but written in Arabic) on our note. As well as in Igbo.

أيبر نير egberun naira (#1000).

IT'S JUST A LANGUAGE as explained in this write-up, nothing like ISLAMIZATION. We all need to look away on some certain things if we must live in peace, Which is ESSENTIAL.

I can sight some examples of what we're also using in Nigeria that are related to Christianity but no fuss from Muslim side.

WE NEED TO STOP ALL THESE UNNECESSARY FUSS

Mention them!
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 15, 2020
Empiree:
okay, all cross logos on hospital must be removed. Saturday and Sunday must be work days. We must change names of the week and months because they are names of roman Christian gods.

Eyin werey jatijati

Must you insult or curse to make a point?
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Staro: 4:42pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. The Muslims in this country have never complained of the fact that the national language is English. The Christian missionaries brough English language to Nigeria and our dear Muslim brothers easily accepted it without fuss. Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad

Oga, gerraway jor!
You bloodsucking jihadist ... you think you can deceive us abi?
Christian ko ... Christmas ni

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Temidayo9(m): 4:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
Emir01:

It's a lie. Can you tell me the constitution loopholes in using Arabic?. Nigeria is beyond your state. Millions of people who can't read in those languages you put forward understand Arabic. Nothing wrong in using Arabic even b4 missionaries came they have been teaching Arabic and millions communicate and do business. Having Muslims and Christians should be an advantage to us as country not to create unnecessary disharmony. This is a pure hatred and I don't bliv we can get things right too soon. This is the reflection of our votes every year. You can't continue to spew hatred and expect things to be okay.
Check section 10 and 55 of constitution of federal republic of Nigeria. Thanks
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 4:44pm On Nov 15, 2020
rajiedreez:

There's no anjami or Arabic text for "gb" or "p" . what you spelt was Aibirun Naira not Egberun Naira
Of course I know
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 4:45pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. The Muslims in this country have never complained of the fact that the national language is English. The Christian missionaries brough English language to Nigeria and our dear Muslim brothers easily accepted it without fuss. Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad

We call them "CINO - Christians in name only". They'll never practice what Jesus teaches, they interpret Jesus words to sooth their own actions.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Positivepoint(m): 4:48pm On Nov 15, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

Arab never rule India boss, Arabic numerals were invented by India mathematicians adopted by Islamic scholars. Moreover India invented a lot of numerals during their years

Well I guess Taj Mahal etc came from heaven

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquests_in_the_Indian_subcontinent#:~:text=By%20mid-century%2C%20Bengal%20and,Lodhi%20(1451%E2%80%931526).
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 4:51pm On Nov 15, 2020
Arkmanbuddy:

Mention them!
The cross sign for red Cross. The word chancellor and provost is acclimatized to Christianity (if you know). The robe where by academia and graduating/matriculating students.
I can't remember some now.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

I have no hatred for any Muslim because I have them as friends.

But truth be told.
You are comfortable with it because you are a Muslim.
Imagine if it was written in Hebrew. A person like Prof. Akitnola of Muric would have been wailing up and down calling for a Jihad.

I look forward to a day when a Muslim would be sincere in his or her posts without sentiments. That day may never come.

Hausa
Yoruba and
Igbo all have ways to write them without using Latin, Hebrew or Arabic letters.

Let us always be sincere in our writings and posts.

Bro. You are Bias.

Happy new week.
I'm not seriously. We're also using what's related to Christianity.

That Arabic means no ISLAMIZATION.
Or what's even meant by the so called ISLAMIZATION because I don't understand
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by 10mobile: 4:55pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
Thanks for trying to make peace. But there are things you are missing: 1. Arabic is the language of Islam but English is not the language of Christianity. The language of Christianity could be Hebrew, Greek or Latin but not English. 2. English is used on the Naira because, since Britain colonized us, English is our lingua franca. 3. Nigeria is a secular state. So, there should be no any indication of having a religious language on our common currency. 4. You said that it doesn't matter but it does. This is part of a grand scheme that we should not allow. That's how insightful people kept pointing out the dangers of open grazing but people like you kept saying that it doesn't matter. Now, everyone can see that it has mattered all the while.

Christianity doesn't say we should allow our rights to be trampled upon. Jesus himself opposed the forces of unfairness in society and politics.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by sochey(f): 5:02pm On Nov 15, 2020
mrsteel:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt wink

LMAO grin grin
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Hassanmaye(m): 5:04pm On Nov 15, 2020
AnanseK:
An Urhobo officer General David Akpode Ejoor introduced the Islamic (Arabic) inscription and the Star emblem into the Nigeria Army crest. Meanwhile, Reno and co have been lying and spinning everything upside down since.

I think this is worth reading...

There was this controversy on the "Islamic" writings and "Star of David" on our military badge... Here, General David Akpode Ejoor explains in detail how he incorporated these symbols. I hope this puts to rest the unnecessary misunderstanding and dust it gathered when some folks raised the issue.

Page 16 of his autobiography has details...

" In the colonial days, the cap badge of the army was a palm tree. This could be interpreted to represent the wealth of the country which the British were to exploit. For that reason, the palm tree had to go. Besides, the Action Group party had a palm tree as its symbol, and it was important that the army and a political party should not have the same symbol. My job was to seek a new meaningful design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. I set to work."

"In seeking a new design, I was anxious that the symbol should reflect the duty of the army and should be capable of inspiring officers and men. As I searched, I remembered the battle between the British and the Sokoto forces in 1903. At that battle, the Sokoto forces had carried the Sultan's flag with an Arabic inscription on it. That Arabic inscription I learnt meant, "VICTORY IS FROM GOD ALONE". This, I thought was an excellent symbol that had meaning and could inspire. What is more, the British had themselves incorporated the symbol into the regimental colour which the Nigerian Regiment carried on parade. I decided to incorporate the Arabic INSCRIPTION INTO THE CAP BADGE TO REPRESENT DEFENCE..."

Next, I searched for a symbol that would depict unity. I found and answer in Lugard's interlaced triangles which he designed at the amalgamation to represent the coming together of NORTHERN and SOUTHERN NIGERIA. In choosing this symbol for the Nigerian Army cap badge, I hoped it would remind the Nigerian Soldier that his duty was to defend the unity and integrity of his country. I now had two symbols representing DEFENCE AND UNITY."

Now, for something that could inspire the army in it's task of defending the nation, I landed on the idea of the Eagle. Again this was not original. The nation had chosen the eagle as national emblem. The eagle is a powerful bird, indeed, the king of birds. It thus represented strength. The eagle had a reputation, when once had located it's prey, of swooping and striking swiftly, accurately and decidedly- qualities which the Nigerian army should strive to achieve.

Having decided on these symbols, my next task was to get an artist to put them together into a unified design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. This was eventually done. Then I was required to defend my design before the ministerial committee.

The committee was made up of three Ministers.

1: Muhammadu Ribadu (Defence)
2: Festus Okotie-Eboh (Finance)
3: Yar'adua (Works and Housing).

It was awe-inspiring to have to appear before these great names of the First Republic. I had to defend the design. I remember that was when I got to the interlaced triangle, Ribadu and Yar'adua exchanged glances and showed some concern. Now I know why. The interlaced triangles also represented the star of David- the symbol of Israel. This alarmed the two Muslim ministers. Fortunately for me, there was the Arabic inscription. This, although at the time I was not thinking in terms of Islam and Christianity, my design happened to incorporate symbols that could be associated with those two religions. Just as well, perhaps. At the end of my defence, the design was approved. I thus left a permanent mark on part of the uniform of the Nigerian Army. This is a rare privilege for any serving officer. I thank God for affording me that opportunity...

Source: REMINISCENCES by David Akpode Ejoor.
Permit me to share sir.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
Loveurneighbour:

I feel your pain
bst

Pain for what?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by mrsteel: 5:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
sochey:

LMAO grin grin
Lol
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
GoshenNLA:
Since I was a kid, i’v always had issue with that writing on naira note, and I do ask my parents wat it means, they said they don’t know
My submission, naira is National note legal tender, see no reason why a language not general known by all is on it, put our lingua Franca on it, e better

Today you know it's Hausa
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:18pm On Nov 15, 2020
DennisEche:
To them they feel the Arabic Ajami on our notes takes them closer to Allah, bunch of brain washed mofos.. what has Arabic got to do with Nigeria, for the fooll above saying that the writing is Hausa but in Arabic. Why not write it in Hausa like Dubu Daya. That one na small thin Sha , if only the Arabic signs can make the naira equates dollar.

Hausa don't have alphabet. The first Hausa alphabet was the Ajami (Arabic Alphabets). Hausa started using english alphabet not more than 50 years ago.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 15, 2020
piggyvestashawo:
bst

Pain for what?
what's the meaning of bst
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Deepthoughts: 5:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
DamnnNiggarr:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-54935804?__twitter_impression=true
All these claims of AJAMI OR AJANI or whatever is just deception,why can't the inscription simply be written in plane hausa if there's no hidden agenda behind the AJAMI or Ajani?
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
delishpot:

Is Arabic a Nigerian language? Why not write it in hausa? If they write in Arabic why not write in French and Portuguese too?

It's written in Hausa not Arabic. It's Hausa. it's Hausa. it's Hausa.

Hausa doesn't have it alphabet, it's using Arabic Alphabets. Later it started using English Alphabets.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
BLUELemon:
what's the meaning of bst
bestie
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2020
King44:
that Arabic inscriptions shouldn't have been there in the first place, and I wonder wey elites, professional lawyers are not suing the gvt for such nonsense

When we have 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria na one Arab alphabet they inscribed on it, if it was written in housa,Yoruba,Igbo and other ethnic languages no problem as long as it represents diversity.

Even English word is not suppose to be there sef Chinese notes and other countries don't use Arabic or English words when they have their languages.

Besides, Nig is made up of three religion so why Arabic n besides watin concern money and religion, it should be removed.

You're not making sense because it is written in Hausa not Arabic language.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2020
Temidayo9:

The argument in court was that, it violate Nigeria constitution which states English , Yoruba ,Hausa and Igbo as an official language of Nigeria. If by any means that you can read or write from any of those mentioned languages, you are literate. But writing something in Arabic language in our National value just to please some set of Muslim who failed to learn their National Language is clear violation of constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria.

The argument is dead on arrival. Because it's written in Hausa not Arabic.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Deepthoughts: 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2020
FriendNG:

It's written in Hausa not Arabic. It's Hausa. it's Hausa. it's Hausa.

Hausa doesn't have it alphabet, it's using Arabic Alphabets. Later it started using English Alphabets.
so now that the use of English alphabets to write hausa with even hausa modifications is generally accepted among hausas why can't the inscription be in the modern hausa?
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2020
Temidayo9:

Every nation is being rule by its constitution, and it says English, Hausa ,Igbo and Yoruba is our official Language. So what brings Arabic?

Arabic wasn't there it's Hausa
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2020
King44:
there is a general Hausa language used in the north why can't it be written in that language

The English could also be removed to rep the three major tribes or more tribes no big deal.

Despite the fact that the Chinese were colonised by the British also India, did you see in English words on their notes.

At least if the proper thing is done it would ensure that yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, etc are taught in basic schools

It is not proper it must be all inclusive, hausas have their ways of communicating before arabic changing it would make them take general hausa language seriously same goes to others

Hausa first alphabet are the arabic alphabet. Hausa started using English Alphabet not more than 50 years ago
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 5:34pm On Nov 15, 2020
PointZerom:
What of the cow on two hundred naira note?
What of the cocoa yam palm bunch on the same 200 note?
What of the Fisher men in 50 note?
what of the Potter on 20 note.

We need to stop creating issue where there's non.

Clamour for Restructuring (Regional Government), that's the solution eour respective problems not this
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
Deepthoughts:
so now that the use of English alphabets to write hausa with even hausa modifications is generally accepted among hausas why can't the inscription be in the modern hausa?

You cannot decide for the Hausa. No where it's written that Hausa must be using English Alphabet. Beside English Alphabet is the newest form.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2020
seguno2:

What tribe in Nigeria speaks Arabic?
Stop your unnecessary long words to fuss up with the minds of Nigerians.

What was written there wasn't even Arabic it's Hausa.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2020
oglalasioux:

Don't you use English scripts to write your indigenous language? When you do and you are reading it is it still English or your language?

Ask him please
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by merits(m): 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
Citing this 1000 note as an example, The Arabic inscription on it simply means NAIRA DUBU(Hausa language) in Transliteration which means #1000.

It's Hausa language but written in Arabic.

The Arabic word for a thousand naira is ألف not نير دوبو as it's on our thousand note.

I can also write egberun naira (Yoruba language) in Arabic as we have it in Hausa language (but written in Arabic) on our note. As well as in Igbo.

أيبر نير egberun naira (#1000).

IT'S JUST A LANGUAGE as explained in this write-up, nothing like ISLAMIZATION. We all need to look away on some certain things if we must live in peace, Which is ESSENTIAL.

I can sight some examples of what we're also using in Nigeria that are related to Christianity but no fuss from Muslim side.

WE NEED TO STOP ALL THESE UNNECESSARY FUSS
Just leave them, they are worse than BH, all this nonsense are the reason behind instabilities in our there Nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by GeoAfrikana(m): 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

It was invented by India mathematicians not Arab
No. He's right.
1-0 is the real arabic numerals. But the arabs abandoned it since the romans started using it.
Then the arabs borrowed Indian numerals from Indian mathematicians. They still use it till date.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

List Of Politicians And Media Organizations That Defied The Twitter Ban / Buhari Prints Recharge Cards For 2015 Campaign [PHOTO] / Heavy Shooting In Gokana LGA In Rivers -vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.