Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets (34076 Views)

Fulanis: The Major Cause Of Culture Clash In Nigeria / Reno Omokri Defends Arabic On Naira Note On His Social Media Page / Malcolm Omirhobo Sues FG, CBN, AGF Over Arabic Inscription On Naira, Army Logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by rajiedreez: 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Of course I know
so we should look for a more even representation and not a one-sided one
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FullBlastLight: 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
Citing this 1000 note as an example, The Arabic inscription on it simply means NAIRA DUBU(Hausa language) in Transliteration which means #1000.

It's Hausa language but written in Arabic.

The Arabic word for a thousand naira is ألف not نير دوبو as it's on our thousand note.

I can also write egberun naira (Yoruba language) in Arabic as we have it in Hausa language (but written in Arabic) on our note. As well as in Igbo.

أيبر نير egberun naira (#1000).

IT'S JUST A LANGUAGE as explained in this write-up, nothing like ISLAMIZATION. We all need to look away on some certain things if we must live in peace, Which is ESSENTIAL.

I can sight some examples of what we're also using in Nigeria that are related to Christianity but no fuss from Muslim side.

WE NEED TO STOP ALL THESE UNNECESSARY FUSS

Meanwhile, whenever MURIC is making their own clout, u neva conceive it 2 be an unnecessary fuss!

D point is validly dt: mek dem go clean an comot!

After all, Arabic isn't our official nor national language, so why it on our national currency, 4 crying out loud?

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by sammysmiles(m): 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
Citing this 1000 note as an example, The Arabic inscription on it simply means NAIRA DUBU(Hausa language) in Transliteration which means #1000.

The Arabic word for a thousand naira is ألف not نير دوبو as it's on our thousand note.

I can also write egberun naira (Yoruba language) in Arabic as we have it in Hausa language (but written in Arabic) on our note. As well as in Igbo.

IT'S JUST A LANGUAGE as explained in this write-up, nothing like ISLAMIZATION. We all need to look away on some certain things if we must live in peace, Which is ESSENTIAL.

I can sight some examples of what we're also using in Nigeria that are related to Christianity but no fuss from Muslim side.

Cite them pls
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
Deepthoughts:
All these claims of AJAMI OR AJANI or whatever is just deception,why can't the inscription simply be written in plane hausa if there's no hidden agenda behind the AJAMI or Ajani?

Just to satisfy your bigotry? There is nothing like Plain and un plain Hausa.

Hausa is originally written using Arabic Alphabets. Later (not more than 50 years) it started using English Alphabet.

You are not in the moral position to tell anybody how it should be written.

You know nothing about it history and cannot determine what is plain and not plain

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2020
rajiedreez:
so we should look for a more even representation and not a one-sided one
You mean writing it in Arabic generally
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Empiree: 5:46pm On Nov 15, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

Must you insult or curse to make a point?
Yes
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Attih(m): 5:46pm On Nov 15, 2020
Very soon the inscription on this note won't even buy a liter of fuel again. I don't care what language or scribing is used on our currency, I just want to hustle and have enough of it. Fuel price is almost 200 per liter or will be 200 by December, we are here arguing what language should be written on our devalued bank note.

*spits*

We Move
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 5:49pm On Nov 15, 2020
sammysmiles:
Cite them pls
Cross using in health sector(uniform, hospital, red Cross etcetera). the robe wears by academia and matriculating/convocating students, The exegesis of some words we use, like Chancellor, Provost. and some I can't remember now.
All these shouldn't cause problem
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Justpassingby45(m): 5:50pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

What is hard in removing it, WE NEED TO RESPECT PEOPLE WISH IF WE WANT TO LIVE IN PEACE. Stop advising me if you can't take mine.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ajl: 5:50pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Why can't we invent a language we can all call our own rather using all these foreign languages. We lazy Nigerians don't like doing the hard work.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by emoney09: 5:51pm On Nov 15, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by sammysmiles(m): 5:55pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. The Muslims in this country have never complained of the fact that the national language is English. The Christian missionaries brough English language to Nigeria and our dear Muslim brothers easily accepted it without fuss. Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad
[b]
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. The Muslims in this country have never complained of the fact that the national language is English. The Christian missionaries brough English language to Nigeria and our dear Muslim brothers easily accepted it without fuss. Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad
[/b]
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. . Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad
If it were to be Muslims making this issue now,,,, you won't say they are troublesome.... I can't jxt find any sense in this your post... Honestly....Whats the meaning of they have population advantage? What's the meaning of missionaries brought English language? Who colonized us? Was it Arabic they were speaking in Nigeria before missionaries came? How many of the Muslims can read the Arabic fluently or even speak it? Pls answer all this questions pls...

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by GEEBITE: 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
Why should the language be in Hausa Ajami text.Why not write in other languages too. This is the kind of stuff that brings distrust.
ThatFairGuy:

MODIFIED
Nigerians values religion more than even ethnicity, how I wish the values in religion can be impacted in our doings.

Mention upon mention
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ballol(m): 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
DamnnNiggarr:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-54935804?__twitter_impression=true

So after ENDSARS u pple now moves to ENDNAIRA.
U dey try ooh.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by kilonshele101(m): 6:03pm On Nov 15, 2020

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Guide777(m): 6:06pm On Nov 15, 2020
Since the Arabic sign had not made Naira equal to Dollar, what's the need of having it on the Naira?
Remove it jooor!
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by MrAkata: 6:09pm On Nov 15, 2020
This is a stupid argument because English is a colonial language linked to Christianity. By only having English it would suggest Nigeria is a Christian country. Arabic recognizes the Islamic influence in the country. By having both you recognize both religious influences in the country.

It's kinda like throwing stones and hiding your hand. You're being divisive in a slick and cunning way.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Loveurneighbour: 6:10pm On Nov 15, 2020
piggyvestashawo:
bst

Pain for what?
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Positivepoint(m): 6:12pm On Nov 15, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

Arab never rule India boss, Arabic numerals were invented by India mathematicians adopted by Islamic scholars. Moreover India invented a lot of numerals during their years

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by delishpot: 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2020
FriendNG:

It's written in Hausa not Arabic. It's Hausa. it's Hausa. it's Hausa.

Hausa doesn't have it alphabet, it's using Arabic Alphabets. Later it started using English Alphabets.

OK o. I never knew Arabic was an official written language in the North. I mean no language has its written alphabet so far as I know all Nigerian languages are written with Latin letters. So I never knew all ancient Hausa people used to write in Arabic.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by sammysmiles(m): 6:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Cross using in health sector(uniform, hospital, red Cross etcetera).
the robe wears by academia and matriculating/convocating students,
The exegesis of some words we use, like Chancellor, Provost.
and some I can't remember now.

All these shouldn't cause problem
I understand your point,,,, but we are not against their red crescent,,, but the Arabic writeups.... How many Muslims can even read or speak Arabic fluently? Arabic is not our lingua franca,,, so they suppose to inscribe what everyone can understand... And besides,,, those terms and terminologies are jxt general English words and is of no point being ascribed with Christianity...
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 6:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
November1857:
Typical fulani Muslim !
Typical iyamuri dog.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by splendournoni: 6:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

MODIFIED
Nigerians values religion more than even ethnicity, how I wish the values in religion can be impacted in our doings.

Mention upon mention

Why use Arabic... If Nigeria is a circular state as claimed
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Arkmanbuddy(m): 6:21pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:

Who told you Muslims are a majority in this country? You better do your research well before spewing trash on a public forum.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Ogbeniomo: 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
Mumu talk, up till Now u ve not understand why English language is Nigeria official language? why not invite saudi to come and colonize u in the first place since u want Arabic language yeye born again.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

I'm not seriously. We're also using what's related to Christianity.

That Arabic means no ISLAMIZATION.
Or what's even meant by the so called ISLAMIZATION because I don't understand

Yes you may say that Arabic means No Islamization. Because we even have the Holy Bible written in Arabic. Arabic is Just a Language accepted. But the fact still remains that there is no point in writing anything in Arabic on a National Symbol or legal tender when we are not an Islamic Country.

Hausa is there
Igbo is there
Yoruba is there

We have English which we all speak or pidgin which is almost common to us all. There is nothing wrong in using these languages.

But is Arabic common to us? How many people can read Arabic in Nigeria. In fact how many Muslims can read Arabic?. So what is the essence.
Its hard to kiss the truth for you guys but its bad.

I learnt that Islam supports lying If it is to defend Islam ( I dont know if its true though). May be this is the reason why you find it so hard to say the truth.

But I put to you and everyone saying nothing is wrong in having Arabic on our money and Military emblem that you guys are bias and there is no truth in you.

Happy new week
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Arkmanbuddy(m): 6:38pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

The cross sign for red Cross.
The word chancellor and provost is acclimatized to Christianity (if you know).
The robe where by academia and graduating/matriculating students.

I can't remember some now.

The red Cross is not a Nigerian organization...

The words chancellor and provost are English words not relating to anything Christian. If they ever appear in the Bible, it's not because they're Christian words but we're put there by the translators who wrote in English. Even a kid wouldn't argue in this line at all!

The robe worn by graduands and matriculants is not a Nigerian thing, it is global! They are worn even in Muslim countries!

Let's be armed with the right information before making public comments. Thank you.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by COUSIN1279(m): 6:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
Let all Nigerian tribe inclusive on the naira.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 6:49pm On Nov 15, 2020
delishpot:

OK o. I never knew Arabic was an official written language in the North. I mean no language has its written alphabet so far as I know all Nigerian languages are written with Latin letters. So I never knew all ancient Hausa people used to write in Arabic.

Today you know. I can write and read using both the 2.

Hausa started using Latin alphabet not more than 50 years ago. The Hausa Ajami script is more than 900 years old.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Cousin9999: 6:51pm On Nov 15, 2020
There's no reason to use arabic on anything in Nigeria. There's no economic, marketing, competitive, or any other advantage.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Bluffly: 7:03pm On Nov 15, 2020
Empiree:
english is also language of slave masters imposed on Nigeria, and slave masters were Christians.
Slave masters are Europeans and Americans and not Christians. Christ is love and does not suffer anyone. The Christian's among them are the ones that brought about support to end of slavery as they were never evenly yoked with slavery
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 7:03pm On Nov 15, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

Yes you may say that Arabic means No Islamization. Because we even have the Holy Bible written in Arabic. Arabic is Just a Language accepted. But the fact still remains that there is no point in writing anything in Arabic on a National Symbol or legal tender when we are not an Islamic Country.

Hausa is there
Igbo is there
Yoruba is there

We have English which we all speak or pidgin which is almost common to us all. There is nothing wrong in using these languages.

But is Arabic common to us? How many people can read Arabic in Nigeria. In fact how many Muslims can read Arabic?. So what is the essence.
Its hard to kiss the truth for you guys but its bad.

I learnt that Islam supports lying If it is to defend Islam ( I dont know if its true though). May be this is the reason why you find it so hard to say the truth.

But I put to you and everyone saying nothing is wrong in having Arabic on our money and Military emblem that you guys are bias and there is no truth in you.

Happy new week
This is an holistic view not in a way or the other related to Islam.
Besides, lies is only acceptable on 3 cases.

Ibn Shihaab – one of the narrators of the hadeeth – said: I did not hear of any concession being granted concerning anything that people call lies except in three cases: War, reconciling among people, and what a man says to his wife or a woman says to her husband.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jonathan's Aides - Abati And Others Stripped Of Passport / Britain Worried Over Buhari's Sack Of Dr Akilu In NSA's Office- UK Telegraph / PDP Releases Statement On Dokpesi’s Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.