Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,781 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance (27353 Views)

Thousands Of Cattle Already Marching Into Cross River After Governor's Defection / Ebonyi Governor Umahi Tests Positive For COVID19. Hands Over To Deputy / Fowler’s Tenure Ends, Fate Hangs In The Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Kwanza: 6:01am On Nov 15, 2020
Barring last minute change of mind, Gover­nor David Umahi of Eb­onyi State may have con­cluded plans to dump the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the All Progressives Congress (APC).

According to reports, Umahi sealed his impending move to the APC during meetings in October 2020 in Abuja with APC leaders, including President Muhamma­du Buhari.

Umahi was elected governor on the platform of the PDP, and currently serving his second term.

The member representing Ikwo/Ezza South Federal Con­stituency, on the APC platform, Hon. Chinedu Ogah, was the first to break the news in a statement commending Umahi for the “bold move”.

Umahi’s action confirmed the rumour when he, on arrival from Abuja, held separate closed-door meetings with members of the Ebonyi State House of Assembly, council chairmen, and PDP state executives among others, during which he reportedly briefed them on his planned defection to APC.

Apparently acting out Umahi’s script, members of the Assembly the following week held a press conference and gave the national leadership of PDP seven days to convoke NEC meeting and zone the party’s 2023 presidential po­sition to the South East, warn­ing of “dire consequences” if the party failed to comply.

The Ebonyi State Working Committee (SWC) of PDP 24 hours later (Tuesday, October 20, 2020 to be precise) also held a press conference making the same demand from the PDP na­tional leadership. It warned that no other arrangement would be acceptable.

On why the demand was com­ing so early, the Ebonyi State PDP Chairman, Barr. Onyeka­chi Nwebonyi, said the body lan­guages of the powers-that-be in the PDP had shown that they had no plans to give the presidential position to the zone.

The demands by the two insti­tutions, analysts say, is a smoke­screen to prepare ground for the impending exodus from PDP to APC in the state.

Nocturnal meetings at various levels in the camps of both APC and PDP have also been going on aimed at tightening loose ends in preparation for Umahi’s de­fection.

For instance, some APC stakeholders met recently in the Abakaliki at the residence of the member representing Ikwo/ Ezza Federal Constituency, Hon. Chinedu Ogah, to discuss among other issues, UMahi’s impending defection to APC.

Ogah was quoted to have said during the meeting that Umahi’s defection to APC would bring good tidings for the party ahead of the 2023 governorship election in the state.

Not done, the APC stakehold­ers last Sunday held another meeting at Saltspring Hotels Abakaliki, where they officially confirmed to party members in attendance that Umahi’s move had been concluded.

Senator Julius Ucha, the mem­ber of the National Assembly Service Commission, the con­vener, said it was held in con­junction with APC South East Mandate. He explained that the South East Mandate was a pres­sure group negotiating for the rightful place of the South East region in APC.

Ucha, a Senator who repre­sented Ebonyi Central Senatorial district for eight years, told the gathering of APC stakeholders that “Governor of Ebonyi State is on his way to APC.”

He said: “When Mr. President of the Federal Republic visited Ebonyi State, I made a presen­tation to him that governors are very powerful, and it is difficult to underrate a governor in any state and my recommendation is that Mr. President should urge South East Governors to declare for APC. That was around 2016 or 2017. But today, I want to gra­ciously announce in this APC gathering that the Governor of Ebonyi State is on his way to APC.

“This is not a joke; and that is why I said there is need for us to continue to pray that nothing will stop it.”

Also, speaking, Senator An­thony Agbo corroborated the statement of Ucha that Umahi was on his way to the APC, and described it as a big catch to the party in the state and at the na­tional level.

“Ebonyi State has made a big catch; the APC in the South East has made a big catch; and the APC, in Nigeria has made pos­sibly the biggest catch and that is why these leaders of South East Mandate is also invited to be present.

“And what is that biggest catch? That His Excellency the Executive Governor of Ebonyi State, imminently, is crossing from PDP to APC,” Agbo empha­sized.

Agbo, who was the Director General of the State APC Gov­ernorship Candidate in 2019, said Umahi was the best performing governor in the present dispen­sation.

“This is evidenced in the achievements of his administra­tion in all ramifications. Wheth­er it is road construction and whether it is in any manner of infrastructure and in any man­ner of leadership indexes. He is supposed to be the best Nigerian governor in this dispensation. And if we have such a governor and providence makes it that he has decided to crossover to our Party, APC, it is something that is worthy to be celebrated.

On his part, C. C. Ubah, the Chairman of South East Man­date, who hails from Imo State, said members of APC in Ebonyi State would soon begin to enjoy like their Imo State counterparts when Umahi would officially join the party.

Also, in a communiqué read during the meeting by the former Chairman of Ohaozara LGA, Mr. Chaka Nweze, the APC stake­holders resolved to give Gover­nor Umahi a red carpet welcome to the party.

They described his imminent defection to APC as a welcome development and noted that they were eager to receive him. They also urged APC members in the state not to panic over the devel­opment as their interests would be fully protected.

On Tuesday, two very close aides to Umahi held a meeting with the 64 development center coordinators in the state, where modalities for the defection were discussed.

Sources at the meeting, dis­closed that no date was fixed for the defection, although they were told that it was imminent. The coordinators were also told that there was no going back on the defection.

The coordinators reportedly pledged their support and that of their supporters in their var­ious domains to the governor in whatever step he takes.

Also, the 13 local government chairmen who were present at the meeting also reiterated their support and readiness to defect with the governor.

It was gathered that the coun­cil chairmen and coordinators agreed to go back to their vari­ous councils and centres to begin consultations on the issue imme­diately.

“Wherever the governor and our leader goes we will go with him. We are very loyal and com­mitted to the project,” one of those at the meeting said.

However, the PDP National Working Committee same day (Tuesday) moved to stop Umahi from leaving the party.

The NWC held a meeting with Umahi in Abuja apparently to persuade him from leaving the party.

But, sources revealed that the PDP NWC couldn’t persuade Umahi to rescind his decision, adding that the defection plan was still on course.

Umahi was reported to have told the PDP national leadership during the meeting that he was leaving for the APC, which he allegedly claimed, would protect the interest of the South East in 2023 presidential election, and that his decision was irrevocable.

Eze Nwachukwu Eze, the APC state chairman in the state, when contacted, said the party had been officially informed of Uma­hi’s plan by the Buni-led APC Caretaker Committee during a meeting attended by national leaders in Abuja.

He said: “I’m just coming out from a meeting held in Abuja where I was officially informed of Governor Umahi’s plan to dump the opposite party, the PDP for our ruling APC. So wait till the details will be made known to you in Ebonyi by tomorrow (Thurs­day).”

Sources claimed that Umahi had since obtained his APC mem­bership form in his ward. But, the APC chairman in the governor’s LGA, Ohaozara, Victor Nnachi, in a chat with Sunday INDE­PENDENT said he knew nothing about the alleged registration of Umahi in APC in his ward.

“As for the defection plan of Governor Umahi, I have heard about it but I’m yet to be officially contacted for his registration at the ward as required in the party constitution,” he explained.

Umahi, according to sources privy to the development, insist­ed that the 2023 presidential ticket of the PDP be zoned to the South East in the spirit of equity and fairness, but power brokers in the party seem to have a differ­ent plan.

The angry Umahi was quoted to have said: “He won’t remain in a party that has no future for the South East,” hence he has con­cluded plans to dump the PDP for the ruling APC.

The governor reportedly briefed his cabinet members in the last executive council meeting about his move to APC.

He was quoted to have told the council members that he would not force anyone to join him, but directed that those that wish to re­main in PDP should resign their appointments.

Consequently, the Commis­sioner for Inter-governmental Af­fairs, Hon Lazarus Nweru Ogbee, on Thursday resigned. Ogbee was also the immediate-past House of Representatives member, repre­senting Ezza South/Ikwo Federal Constituency.

Investigations further revealed that Umahi would have since made his planned defection of­ficial, but for the violence that trailed the #EndSARS protests, which made the last one month a very odd time to undertake such a political move.

Another report has it that the planned defection has been blocked by the South-East bigwigs of the ruling party.

The move, it was gathered, was plotted by some members of the National Assembly and ministers from the South East.

These stakeholders were said to have made it clear to the Ebo­nyi State governor that the APC presidential ticket was not for grabs by him.

A source close to the Mala Buni-led APC was reported as saying that though the Ebonyi State governor is welcomed to the party, the APC cannot just give him the presidential ticket, adding that nothing indicates that the APC ticket has been zoned to the South-East.

The source said Umahi should be mindful of the treatment given to him when he purportedly nom­inated his brother, Austin Umahi as a ministerial nominee in 2019 and was dropped at the 11th hour, stating that the same fate might await him.

It was reported that the gover­nor could be making a gradual U-turn to remain fully in PDP since APC leaders, both in the state and in the South-East cau­cus are not enthusiastic about receiving him.

It was reported that the APC leaders in the region like the Min­isters of Science and Technolo­gy, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, from his state; Labour and Productivity, Dr. Chris Ngige, from Anambra and Minister of State for Edu­cation, Chief Emeka Nwajiuba, from Imo State and others felt slighted as they were not con­sulted.

Members of National Assem­bly from the South-East also re­portedly echoed the same senti­ment of not being considered for consultation over the movement to the ruling party.

Whether Umahi is defecting to APC or remaining in his PDP will soon be known by everyone as the political drama unfolds.
https://www.independent.ng/ebonyi-governors-marriage-with-apc-hangs-in-the-balance/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by jenny005: 6:17am On Nov 15, 2020
I dnt have anything to say on this bt i knw i"t shall be well"

5 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Racoon(m): 6:18am On Nov 15, 2020
Classical of the saying "look before you leap" and "not all that glitters is gold." Meanwhile, have said it here;
Racoon:
In all fairness the PDP should zero its 2023 ticket to the SE because of the obvious marginalisation the region have suffered in respect to the presidency but histroy has shown that no region have benefitted as a result of holding the presidency.The current security, economic, political woes makes it a more worst liability.

So no Igbo man irrespective of the political platform seeking endorsement or election as regards the next political dispensation should foolishly think this nation will witness any meaningful development except the skewed constitutional & geographical imbalance therein is holistically corrected.

15 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by ATEAMS: 6:24am On Nov 15, 2020
Life goes on

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by whytediamond(m): 6:24am On Nov 15, 2020
All na the same.

These men don't give one flying fvck about the people. Just person interest.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Goodluckall: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2020
K

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by flyingpig: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2020
Well

The #endSARS that lasted for one month delayed things, as for now the consultation continues.
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by personal59: 6:25am On Nov 15, 2020
hmmmm

hang in between the two fraud called party........ nonsense.

Game of interest like ASSUU that will claim they are fighting for good education for the students instead of them to come out straight and tell the world we are fighting for money shioor.

thief's and rogue in power

14 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by JudasNaCarrot: 6:26am On Nov 15, 2020
That is the problem with the Igbos, they hate each other with passion. Even though I dislike this Umahi's move but his own fellow tribesmen in APC are already laying dangerous obstacles for him in APC.
Meanwhile, the other tribe they always tackle are United in their quest. No other Yoruba man or woman has shown real interest in the presidency since when it was rumoured that Tinubu will contest but that wont happen in Igbo land because even lizards and rats will rise up to contest the moment any party indicates that it will zone the presidency to the South east.

I have never seen a people so dis-United like this. They always use other tribes to unite like they did in Oyigbo, Rivers state recently. Go to the North or West it's same story but yet they have deepest hatred amongst themselves.

Tufiakwa Unu!!

47 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by ybalogs(m): 6:26am On Nov 15, 2020
O my Nigeria.
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by ybalogs(m): 6:27am On Nov 15, 2020
Does this guy really thinks he has a chance in 2023? Umahi for President. grin grin grin

17 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by AFULA(m): 6:27am On Nov 15, 2020
Okay
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by helinues: 6:27am On Nov 15, 2020
The NWC held a meeting with Umahi in Abuja apparently to persuade him from leaving the party.

Used to be biggest party in Nigeria is now shadow of itself.

The way Pdp are going down heh, they must detect the sinking Titanic. wink

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Quoran: 6:27am On Nov 15, 2020
This man will be shocked. He will end up getting nothing from the APC and PDP and Ebonyi will still be PDP.

32 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by slawormiir: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2020
Umahi is a liability and a selfish politician. He worked against peter Obi's VP so boldly and was thinking APC will honour him by giving his brother ministerial slot but was dropped and disgraced also

Is it not same man that said he will rather lose his Governor seat than see peter Obi win...

13 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by jaggabban: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2020
I hate flat headers but I'm for any good candidate from any part of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by tophumble(m): 6:28am On Nov 15, 2020
All this long story ehn

Umahi shd do his do and let us rest jare
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by sweetilicious(f): 6:29am On Nov 15, 2020
In as much as I don't like APC.He is my Governor,my family member is his commissioner.I still don't think it's the right move.The youths will take over governance

2 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 15, 2020
Umahi will be so rejected by Igbos in 2023 that he will be like Chime of Enugu. People do not learn. The experiences of Chime, Akpabio and Uduaghan should have made them learn yet they would not. SE/SS is PDP, presidency or no presidency. Vacate and become useless politicalky.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by ybalogs(m): 6:30am On Nov 15, 2020
I believe the journey to 2023 should start now. The EndSARS fatalities shouldn't go to waste hence the youths should ensure they're United now more than ever to ensure even before 2023,we must have chosen the next President. We definitely can't rest now. The Nigeria of our dreams is in our hands so let's go for it. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by ybalogs(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2020
Amitez:
Umahi will be so rejected by Igbos in 2023 that he will be like Chime of Enugu. People do not learn. The experience of Chime, Akpabio and Uduaghan should have made them learn , yet they would not. SE/SS us PDP, presidency or no presidency. Vacate and become useless politicalky.
He is only trying his luck. I'm sure there's a hidden reason he is doing this. We will find out in no time.

3 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Sonnobax15(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2020
grin. wait,I don't understand.......

which of the balance?

chemical balance or na spring balance ?
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by ybalogs(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2020
jaggabban:
I hate flat headers but I'm for any good candidate from any part of Nigeria.
We no longer have to wait till they foist a supposedly good candidate on us. Let's all get one and make him . Together we will do it .
Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by offiong187: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2020
So APC has promised him that presidency will be zoned to south east? If he believes that then he is a fool

14 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by flyingpig: 6:33am On Nov 15, 2020
Quoran:
This man will be shocked. He will end up getting nothing from the APC and PDP and Ebonyi will still be PDP.
Ebonyi can never win PDP governorship if he defects. At best PDP will win about 6 or 7 state house of assembly positions. One or two house of Reps but that will be all. Ebonyi politics is always heavily influenced by the sitting governor.

8 Likes

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by Enudapan: 6:33am On Nov 15, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated
. APC=PDP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ebonyi Governor’s Defection To APC Hangs In The Balance by magicfingers009: 6:35am On Nov 15, 2020
Umahi has always been in bed with the APC since time immemorial. No doubt that he has transformed Abakaliki and not necessarily Ebonyi state, but this move I’ll say is political suicide.
APC would never give him the presidential ticket.

He doesn’t have the political clout talkless of a strong cabal backing him.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Petrol Price Jumps To ₦‎350/ltr As Queues Return / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide / Why We Reinstated Abdulrasheed Maina, Fugitive Ex-Pension Chief – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.