Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Succeeding As An International Student In The Us - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Succeeding As An International Student In The Us (794 Views)

Davido Is The Only Graduating Student In His Department / 11 Habits Of Succeeding Students. Learn Them And Start Succeeding / 10 Top Countries To Study Abroad As An International Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 5:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
I will be going to the US for my undergraduate education. I know that many Nigerians here on NL have studied or are currently studying in US institutions. I would like some tips on how to survive and thrive. Thanks for your contributions in advance.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by obowunmi(m): 5:55pm On Mar 17, 2011
Don't join bad friends, those that do drugs, smoke, or drink --- or chase women around/fornicating or encouraging women to get abortions.

Do what you came here for: School. And do well in school --- and no opportunities will allude you.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 6:28pm On Mar 17, 2011
thank you very much obowunmi. I have no interest in drugs or liquor and neither do I chase. However, I may have difficulty if chased. One of my advisors warned that I could be chased. Is that true?
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by pleep(m): 6:43pm On Mar 17, 2011
misaac:

thank you very much obowunmi. I have no interest in drugs or liquor and neither do I chase. However, I may have difficulty if chased. One of my advisors warned that I could be chased. Is that true?
are you a female?
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 7:08pm On Mar 17, 2011
pleep:

are you a female?
grin

No i'm not. I just happen to be uninterested in the whole chase game by virtue of the way I was raised and my own observations. I feel its not worth it except when i'm ready to get married.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by obowunmi(m): 7:21pm On Mar 17, 2011
misaac:

Yes, women in the U.S. are leeches -- they love the oko. Women from Latin America, White, Black, and hungry Africans, will chase you if you are handsome, tall, don't have bad breath, or body odor and dress nicely.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 1:12am On Mar 20, 2011
well obowunmi, i'm neither tall nor handsome, so I guess i'll be spared. but you mentioned doing well in school. I've had all my education in Nigeria, and if what I hear is anything to go by, the demands on students there are kinda stringent. so what specific tips would you give that would help me do well in school. thank you very much.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by obowunmi(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^^

1. You must come prepared to apply what you've learned in the classroom to real life situations vs. just only memorization, which is what the school system in Nigeria is focused upon

2. You must come prepared to have 4/5 exams in one week.

3. Be very nice to professors/ TA's because often times grading can be subjective -- you'd be surprised as to how many girls "date" or sleep with their professors for grades

4. Go after all and any scholarships you can take advantage of whether or not u're a citizen, resident, or visiting student

5. If you are not planning to go back to Nigeria, wisely befriend a gal for papers, (pay her or marry her, which ever one) cause there is nothing more painful than finishing your degree and NOT being able to find work, especially if you do not plan to go back to Nigeria. undecided
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 12:16am On Mar 23, 2011
obowunmi:

^^^
2. You must come prepared to have 4/5 exams in one week.
thanks so much. that is gonna be tough. I've got campus employment as part of my finaid package, pls do you think I can combine a 20 hour work week with 4/5 exams per week?
obowunmi:

3. Be very nice to professors/ TA's because often times grading can be subjective -- you'd be surprised as to how many girls "date" or sleep with their professors for grades
that reminds me, is it true that professors/TA's want to be addressed by their first names. You know, here in Naija, no student would dare that.

obowunmi:

4. Go after all and any scholarships you can take advantage of whether or not u're a citizen, resident, or visiting student.

will do.

obowunmi:

5. If you are not planning to go back to Nigeria, wisely befriend a gal for papers,  (pay her or marry her, which ever one) cause there is nothing more painful than finishing your degree and NOT being able to find work, especially if you do not plan to go back to Nigeria.  undecided

I love Nigeria and even if I don't find work on return, which I know is very possible, I know a guy who went to Columbia who is still searching for a position here in Naija, I will strike out on my own. I don't know if its possible to ignore the ladies as I did during my secondary school. I would love to in order to avoid the distractions. Any tips on politely saying no if disturbed?
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by obowunmi(m): 4:47pm On Mar 23, 2011
misaac:

thanks so much. that is gonna be tough. I've got campus employment as part of my finaid package, pls do you think I can combine a 20 hour work week with 4/5 exams per week?that reminds me, is it true that professors/TA's want to be addressed by their first names. You know, here in Naija, no student would dare that.

will do.

I love Nigeria and even if I don't find work on return, which I know is very possible, I know a guy who went to Columbia who is still searching for a position here in Naija, I will strike out on my own. I don't know if its possible to ignore the ladies as I did during my secondary school. I would love to in order to avoid the distractions. Any tips on politely saying no if disturbed?

You've got campus employment yea ? Congrats! If you are lucky, you may get a job that may allow you to do your homework. African kids at my school always wanted a job at the library --- that way they could do some home work. So if luck is on your side, you may have a job that permits you do work and do homework. 20 hours is not a lot. I know many kids who worked 40 hours a week and still graduated with honors. If your head is in the right place, you will do well.

Yes, we called Profs by their first name, and if you really want to kiss ass, you can use "Dr. so and so" instead --- I called my professors, Prof. Frank or Dr. G. -- I'm not used to calling old folks by their first names.

Don't ignore the ladies, go on dates, have fun --- make sure you use your deodorant/mouth wash --- just don't get anyone pregnant or have girls distract you from your studies --- that happens too.

I know many kids that got into drugs/ or had girlfriends that got them distracted --- that will not be your lot. Have fun, and TRAVEL during your holidays (not go back home to Nigeria, I mean around the world or within the 50 states), be kool.

Whats your email ? I'd love to keep up with you, to see how things go for you. Which school will you attend ? Which state ?
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2011
thanks so much obowunmi. I will be going to Hamilton College, New York. i don't know if it is safe to post my email here sha. if i figure out a way to post and then remove it i will.

yeah I've been thinking of study abroad, but i've got to be careful so that I don't choose to go to someplace like Japan and then a tsunami knocks the life out of me.

thanks again.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by obowunmi(m): 4:05pm On Mar 24, 2011
Hamilton is a predominately white college and its very cold place to reside, esp. in the winter. Its a good liberal arts college though. smiley
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by misaac: 2:29pm On Mar 30, 2011
You are right about that. I don't know how I will cope yet when ordinary air conditioner freezes me.
Re: Succeeding As An International Student In The Us by obowunmi(m): 4:14pm On Mar 30, 2011
^^^ I guess you get used to it. Get lots of sweaters and winter coat. Make sure you wear it so that you don't get a cold.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Sitting For Financial Risk Management Exam In May Or November? / Pls I Want To Know About Info On Fut Minna And Unizikz? / Opinion Poll : Would You Be Glad If Jamb Postponed The 2012 Utme ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.