Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,849 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord (24732 Views)

Is Olamide’s UY SCUTI Worth the Hype ? Album Review By Iamsynord / 30 Biggest Nigerian Songs Of 2020 By Iamsynord / 'King Of Love': A Review Of Kizz Daniel's Third Studio Album By Iamsynord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by lagusboyyy(m): 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2020
I always look forward to your reviews synord.
Dope!

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by donforeign: 3:04pm On Nov 16, 2020
Synord:
Barely a Year after releasing his highly successful sophomore album " A Good Time " which amassed over a billion streams worldwide, Nigerian Music Star and DMW helmsman David Adeleke popularly known as Davido released his third studio album " A Better Time" on the 13th November , 2020.

In the following year after his " A Good Time" album which saw the birth of his first son , ifeanyi who is also the cover of the album , the recovery of his fiancee Chioma from the Covid- 19 virus amidst breakup rumours, constant criticism that his survival in the music industry is because of his wealth, a newly found beef with erstwhile friend and Grammy nominee , Burna Boy and continued rivalry with self acclaimed Starboy Wizkid , Davido announced his third studio album " A Better Time " would drop in October 2020.

A month after , Davido drops the highly anticipated Album and here's our review of the Afro beats, RnB and Hip hop themed Project .

Producers: NapjiDmw, Magicboi, Chillz, Eljack, Dante,Semzibeatz, FreshVDM, Isaac MasterDon, Kiddominant , Speroachbeatz, Ckay, Blaisebeatz, Papamitrou, Xander,Hit boy, Fresh, Lord Sky

Features: Lil baby, Sauti Sol, Bella Shmurda, Mayorkun, Sho Madjozi, Nas, Hit boy, Ckay, Mugeez, Tiwa Savage, Chris brown, Young thug, Nicki minaj

Song Writers - Deinde , Peruzzi, Wale Kwame, MayD, Toye, Kiddominant,

Engineers - STG, Dremo, Joshua Harbin,

Genre - Afrobeats, House Music , RnB, Hip hop, Pop

Runtime - 55 minutes

Tracks - 17

Label - Davido Music Worldwide/RCA/Sony Music Entertainment UK limited

1) FEM

The album opens on a high note with the napji produced " FEM" which means " Shut Up". The track housed subliminal shots at Burna boy with lines like " Tell Odogwu say we like to party" , Just Call Me" while also warning other haters to be careful and stop hating on his grind/success. The hook is very catchy with a sing along vibe and was propelled to greater heights by the EndSars protest when it became the unofficial protest song in the country at the time . Completed with a delightful surprise performance at the Big brother finale and a colorful music video from DammyTwitch, FEM became A Better Time 's First hit track.

2) JOWO

On Jowo, Davido returns to the Career Saving Pon Pon style which he employed on songs like " IF" and "FALL" . He pleads with his lover to please stay with him and marry him. Davido delivers good lyrics and an impressive vocal delivery on the track . A song for the romantic ones and also a potential hit .One of the album's strongest joints .

3) SOMETHING FISHY

Something Fishy reminds me of " Return " off Davido's " Son of Mercy" Ep and Adekunle Gold's Hit single " Jore" featuring Kizz daniel. The owambe vibe of the song is laudable and Davido once again brings his A game on . The producer Chillz also did a very impressive job on the track . Straight banger !! " Wait , something Fishy going down " ✨✨.

4) HOLY GROUND FEAT NICKI MINAJ

When I heard that there was a song with Nicki minaj on the album , I was like wow , massive . And then came " Holy Ground ". There's something just really off about the track especially for a Nicki minaj feature . Perhaps the chemistry, maybe the hook , or just the funny lyrics . Holy ground is a track one would not likely put on repeat .

5) HEAVEN

On the amapiano inspired "Heaven" produced by El jack , Davido promises to bring the heavenly feeling to his woman while also admonishing her beauty in comparison with an angel that came from heaven . The track is a feel good and sing along track with solid production .. one thing about the album so far is the quality music production and engineering . An effort Davido should be commended for.

6) VERY SPECIAL

On the May D written " Very Special", Davido scores a wedding classic and something for the owambes . The beats , the lyrics and the delivery are really onpoint. It's really a song for the old and the young . One of the best songs on the album .
" Mo kan ma sope " ✨

7)THE BEST

I think it's general consensus that having Mayorkun on a track translates almost certainly to having a hit. Mayorkun comes through with his witty lines and rhymes on the fresh produced beat . The Davido proteges clarifies who he learnt his craft from.and credits his boss " Davido" as the best while also affirming "nobody sing pass wandecoal" . The chemistry between the two on the track is really pleasant to the ears .
A potential hit for the clubs and parties as the DMW Artistes brag about their status and talent in the industry . Solid bop !!!

cool SHOPPING SPREE FT CHRIS BROWN & YOUNG THUG

This hip-hop joint with Chris brown and young thug surprisingly proves to be the Most artistically crafted and successful Davido's hip hop collaboration yet after the ill fated " Pere" feat Young thug and rae sremmurd. The three artistes came through with dope verses and swag as they talk about taking pretty girls on shopping spree on this bouncy hip-hop beat.
Then Davido on the Hook , my jesus !!! Best Davido hook in a while .
Shopping spree is an instant hit with a repeat value of 98 percent .

9) SUNLIGHT

Another Romantic song on the album produced by DMW inhouse producer, Napji . Short and sweet . The chants are lovely
Davido calls his pretty lady the sunlight in his life and appreciates all her beautiful features while promising never to lie to her . Napji the producer continues to prove he is a valuable addition to the DMW family with his stellar productions and Davido once again delivers for the ladies .

10) TANANA FT TIWA SAVAGE

Davido decides to switch things up a bit and comes through with the galala/swo influenced " "Tanana". The Kiddominant produced track brings a refreshing feel to the album . Tiwa savage also delivers an excellent verse on the track . This one is for the reminiscing the good old galala days while also catching groove seriously at parties and gatherings . A retro styled video for the song would also be really nice .

11) MEBE FT MUGEEZ

Davido connects with his fans from Ghana as he sings that his lady's body physique will make him to study physics". Better lyrics could have been employed by Davido on this joint but Mugeez came through with his verse . Not bad at all .

12) LALA FT CKAY

This one is going to be a fan favourite . Right from the first listen . With a stellar production and excellent featured verse from Ckay , the amapiano/makossa joint will sure rock the Clubs and Anglophone countries. Davido is also at creative ease on the track and having maximum fun which made the track even more enjoyable .

13) SO CRAZY FT LIL BABY

It is important to note that all the featured Artistes came through with their verse on A Better Time . So crazy is another track the Featured artiste , Lil Baby came fully prepared. On the track davido talks about his lover that is not giving him attention and driving him crazy . Mixed feelings about this track. Not bad , Not good, just there .

14) BIRTHDAY CAKE FT NAS , HIT BOY

This was just a song that was not needed on the album . The style of the two Artistes do not fit. The lyrics from Davido are lazy and shows no attempt to accommodate and assist NAS . The track shouldn't have made the album . Skip.

15) I GOT A FRIEND FT MAYORKUN & SHO MADJOZI

House music ✨✨✨. The trio of Mayorkun , Davido and south african artiste , sho Madjozi deliver this amapiano track as a tribute to the Davido's DMW friends like Lati , Tycoone, Prince,Asa Asika among others . Good production , vibes and verses. An actual Bop.

16) FADE FT BELLA SCHMURDA

First, the beat by Speroachbeatz sounds so similar to a previous joint and really disjointed .The two Artistes struggled to achieve chemistry . What would have otherwise being a serious jam is harmed by the monotous and distorted beats . Davido did his best , Bella did his best and Speroachbeatz gave his worst .

17) ON MY WAY FT SAUTI SOL

Can there ever be a bad Sauti SOL song . I doubt . This Davido and Sauti SOL song is the perfect outro for A Better Time .The Lord Sky production is a delight to the ears . Sauti sol beautiful lingua infusion gives the track an heavenly feel . Beautiful songwriting too.

CONCLUSION

While I still believe the " A Good Time " is solidly underated, I believe " A Better Time " will not suffer the same fate. On this album , we see a Davido that is trying to strike a balance between the international market and the local music scene in Africa . We also see a Davido that is very deliberate with his creative act and ensures he makes the songs people want and consequently , Potential hits .

Excelling on tracks like " Jowo" , " Heaven", " The Best" , "On my way" Tanana", " Lala" and other songs obviously intended for African market , the bane of the album seems to be his resolve to break into the international market .

Save the track with Chris brown and Young thug , all other international collabos on the album seems like a forced attempt to do something to please the international community . The highly forgettable " Holy Ground " with Nicki Minaj , the Manageable " So Crazy" with Lil baby and the track that should never have happened with NAS and Hitboy .

For Someone who saw the effect of unnecessary international collabos and did a back to the basics campaign with songs like " IF " and "Fall" a few years back , it is suprising that Davido has still chosen to tow the path of unfavourable international collabos rather than stick to his beautiful creative process that is in conformity with his roots as an African.

Production is very commendable as all producers came in their top form except for Speroachbeatz distasteful production on Fade featuring Bella Shmurda . Special shout out also to Napji DMW for his outstanding work .

The Mixing , mastering and engineering on A Better Time is world class , Big kudos to Dremo and STG . The track arrangement could have been way better though to improve cohesion and flow.

The versatility of the tracks must also be praised as songs switch from Afro RnB to House music to galala, Pon Pon and then Hip-hop Rap. The genuine attempt by Davido to create a diversely appealing album evident in features from Ghana and Eastern Africa as well as features from the international scene is commendable.

The acknowledgment and use of songwriters on the project is also very important for the culture and Davido has done the right thing by employing the services of these people.

The delivery of lyrics on the album is above average and the beautiful in Davido's vocal power and delivery shows he must have done a proper research and truly worked on his voice for this project. Truth be told, Davido really worked hard on the project .

A Better time seems like an album made to prove a point and of course the point is well proven . One thing is sure , This album will birth hits in the country and also birth hits worldwide.

Rating - 7/10

Paid post..

Wack shitttttt...

If this is 7/10
Made in Lagos go be 9.5/10

Clowns

8 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by OMONGBALI: 3:04pm On Nov 16, 2020
Well reviewed. Nice one, Synord.
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 16, 2020
All na trash
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by OMONGBALI: 3:05pm On Nov 16, 2020
donforeign:

Paid post..

Wack shitttttt...

If this is 7/10
Made in Lagos go be 9.5/10

Clowns

This is about Davido's album. What brought MIL into this? What's the point of comparing these two successful music artistes every time? They are doing well in their career paths. I hope you can say the same about yourself.

4 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by donforeign: 3:06pm On Nov 16, 2020
OMONGBALI:

This is about Davido's album. What brought MIL into this? What's the point of comparing these two successful music artistes every time? They are doing well in their career paths. I hope you can say the same about yourself.

I am successful..
The album is below par.
Weak and thrash album..
Noise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 16, 2020
One Man's food...

Holy ground is my best as for now

8 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by onlyfacts: 3:08pm On Nov 16, 2020
In my humble opinion, I'll rate the album 4/10.

With forced and continuous airplay, we might later like a few of them songs but not a single one stands out like heavyweight in the album.

Still one of the least rated albums of the year for me, same as that of wizkid. They didn't live up to half of the hype!

15 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by OMONGBALI: 3:09pm On Nov 16, 2020
donforeign:

I am successful..
The album is below par.
Weak and thrash album..
Noise

That's good to know.
Yes, I respect your opinion about the album.
My grouse was with you bringing MIL in it.
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by LostMyZeal(m): 3:09pm On Nov 16, 2020
RomanianNinja:

In summary, the op is simply saying he loves thrash songs and refusing to admit that Davido just packaged rubbish and called it an album.

cheesy cheesy
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Zane2point4(m): 3:10pm On Nov 16, 2020
To be honest with you,if you really know good music,asin good content,good quality,good track listing,good analogy,quality engineerd tracks,and editing you will appreciate davidos work,what OP said is the truth.

Albums isnt easy to chun out,and its not necessary all of them come out as bangers,if he have atleast 4 banger in the tracklist he tried.

Some of you listen to music with your noisy mp3 player,or hand held fon speaker coupled with lossless low mb tracks u downloded from audiomarck.

pls do buy a proper home T,or play in any vehicle that have JBL,herman kardon,Bose etc you go know say na better gbedu davido drop, mine is 5.1 channel,meaning whats popping out from my right speakers wont be disturbed by voices on the left. Same as the woofers.
Its not easy,he touched every sphere of events or happening,except he didnt touch political or current lekki events,thats for me where i didnt like it, i give that to burna boy,his songs are always like a freedom fighter hits.
My take.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Kingoftrust(m): 3:14pm On Nov 16, 2020
RomanianNinja:
Honestly speaking, I decided to play Davido's album on Apple music and it was so noisy to the point I thought the fault was from my earpod. Aside FEM, the album is just a well packaged noise tracks.

Dear op, judging from your review, I can deduce the fact that your playlist is full of thrash songs. You have not taste in good music. Wack review
swears
Even brymos yellow dust am

3 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Omotaday(m): 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2020
Synord:

4) HOLY GROUND FEAT NICKI MINAJ

When I heard that there was a song with Nicki minaj on the album , I was like wow , massive . And then came " Holy Ground ". There's something just really off about the track especially for a Nicki minaj feature . Perhaps the chemistry, maybe the hook , or just the funny lyrics . Holy ground is a track one would not likely put on repeat .

Rating - 7/10
"Holy ground is a track one would not likely put on repeat". Saying this about Holy ground which so far is one of the most played track on that album discredit this review.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by silverlinen(m): 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2020
Damn
This floppy album ain't As Tall As BURNABOY's Monsters we made track
Only BURNABOY does music better in Nigeria

PEACE

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Misterdhee1(m): 3:19pm On Nov 16, 2020
The album in all honesty would compete with MIL for the worst album of the year.

Nonetheless, The Best was really top-notch.

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 16, 2020
Muyiwaipere:
Overhyped musician
I dey tell you
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Ifakorinmi(m): 3:20pm On Nov 16, 2020
ATEAMS:
We must have one love, one great love in our life, since it gives us an alibi for all the moments when we are filled with despair.

Even though this is off topic..

See, This is a great truth nothing can dispute!!
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Wannabenz: 3:23pm On Nov 16, 2020
@OP you're wack lol. My favorite na that Birthday Cake with Nas & Hitboy and that Holy Ground Ft Nicki Minaj. Analysing a music album is not your calling...if you're from the Eastside abeg enter market go do trading lol. Thank Me Later.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Zane2point4(m): 3:25pm On Nov 16, 2020
RomanianNinja:
Honestly speaking, I decided to play Davido's album on Apple music and it was so noisy to the point I thought the fault was from my earpod. Aside FEM, the album is just a well packaged noise tracks.

Dear op, judging from your review, I can deduce the fact that your playlist is full of thrash songs. You have not taste in good music. Wack review
Na lie,that album is well masterred and enginered,maybe you downloaded low quality tracks.
Use JBL speaker blow those tracks u go appreciate am.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by sammysneh(m): 3:25pm On Nov 16, 2020
Davido tried we should appreciate both Wizkid n Davido even burna boy they are making Nigeria proud

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Karleb(m): 3:25pm On Nov 16, 2020
Holy Ground! cool
That jam is dope!
Twice as tall is the album of the year though.

3 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Dudeladude(m): 3:26pm On Nov 16, 2020
EdoFirstBorn:
grin
everyone hating on davido...apart from ginger which other song u sabi for the album

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by EdoFirstBorn(m): 3:27pm On Nov 16, 2020
Dudeladude:
everyone hating on davido...apart from ginger which other song u sabi for the album

Are you okay? Who told you I have an opinion?

I just booked space
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Dudeladude(m): 3:27pm On Nov 16, 2020
Zane2point4:

Na lie,that album is well masterred and enginered,maybe you downloaded low quality tracks.
Use JBL speaker blow those tracks u go appreciate am.
no mind the guy.. make e dey form

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by illicit(m): 3:28pm On Nov 16, 2020
Money speaking.... FEM!

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Dudeladude(m): 3:28pm On Nov 16, 2020
EdoFirstBorn:

I just booked space
mistakenly quoted u bro....calm down
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Dudeladude(m): 3:29pm On Nov 16, 2020
EdoFirstBorn:

I just booked space
be like say u carry vex from somewhere o
Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by ManOfCompetence(m): 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2020
Synord:
Written by iamsynord

Iamsynord is a freelance entertainment writer, programmer , entertainment lawyer and music lover. He is open to content writing jobs/anything Entertainment and can be contacted via twitter @iamsynord
Lol, you rated twice as tall below 7....your ratings are trash

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Davido's "A Better Time" Album By Iamsynord by Dudeladude(m): 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2020
tex73:
Wizkid's is definitely better......not on d same level! cool
very untrue bro.. wizkid is a good musician but this is album no reach davido own abeg... imagine only FEM was the vibe on endsar..and made in Lagos was already out if am right

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wizkid Wins 2 MOBO Awards, Breaks African Record. / Remembering Dr Sir Warrior: Oriental Brothers- Nwanne Awu Enyi / 2019 Soundcity MVP Awards Winners' List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.