Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,598,346 members, 6,030,533 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 December 2020 at 06:28 PM

What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? (28629 Views)

You Can Now Upgrade Your Airtel Sim To 4G Online And Claim Your 4GB Data Free / Important Information For Those Upgrading Their Airtel Sim To 4G LTE. / Why You Must Put PIN/PUK On Your SIM Card. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by NettyNelly(m): 11:39am On Nov 17
I Tried to make the post very brief.

I got an SMS a month ago from my service provider MTN, to upgrade my sim to 4G. I didn't bother cause I already have another MTN 4G sim. Secondly I don't use my MTN sim for internet.

But prior to that I found out that the name of the sim owner wasn't mine. Was surprised caused I registered the Sim myself about 8 yrs ago. And I've been using the sim since, though there was a time I didn't use it for a month or two.

Then on Thursday last week. I got a seven days waiver to upgrade my sim. I went to their office for an upgrade on Friday but there were lots of people waiting to be attended before me. I couldn't wait so I left. Along with the SMS, there's a link for home upgrade, Incase you can't go to an MTN office. I filled out the form that Friday at home but I got same SMS 48hrs later, reminding of the wavier (which I think means the form was insignificant).

I went again today very early to MTN office in my location. Wrote down my name (no.19), but unfortunately people with long legs kept jumping queue. So that delayed me from being attended to. I left, due to a business trip by 10am. But not certain if I would have the opportunity to visit an MTN office before the end of the waiver.

Here's the problem:

I would've ignored the upgrade if the sim wasn't linked to many of my bank accounts, social media, academia. etc And knowing the sim is with a different name, what are the implications?.
I don't know if my sim would be banned or not after the 7days waiver expires on Thursday?.

I brought this here, because I know there are people who have experienced the same issue before.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by mykeni: 11:47am On Nov 17
I got the message too but not disturbed. I don't think there is any implication(s) but added advantage of better network.

22 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Pofgrace(m): 11:54am On Nov 17
mykeni:
I got the message too but not disturbed. I don't think there is any implication(s) but added advantage of better network.
no implications but for your sim safety it's better to update it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by donbachi(m): 12:29pm On Nov 17
Pofgrace:
no implications but for your sim safety it's better to update it
in a 4Gless network country.u dont need to go to their office for upgrade.let them upgrade their networt and ur sim will be upgraded automatically,in a developed country.

165 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by NettyNelly(m): 12:44pm On Nov 17
mykeni:
alright, noted
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by NettyNelly(m): 12:45pm On Nov 17
donbachi:
in a 4Gless network country.u dont need to go to their office for upgrade.let them upgrade their networt and ur sim will be upgraded automatically,in a developed country.
Lol, I don't even have the time.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by tayo60(f): 12:51pm On Nov 17
I was at their office yesterday to do same thing. I experienced everything you went through, with people jumping queue and security men bringing in people they know not minding those of you on the queue. After d whole sim upgrade, I was told to go and re-register d sim inside the office to avoid been disconnected within six hours, although my line has been activated already o. With many people inside waiting to be attended to, I was directed to go and do it outside from d vendors selling SIM cards for a faster registration. The guy tried many times to re-register my no but wasn't successful, he now told me not to worry that they won't disconnect my line. Since yesterday , my line has been working perfectly well and has fully being upgraded.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Kingofum(m): 2:06pm On Nov 17
Rubbish i am waiting patiently for mtn to block my sim so I can sue their ass.

Is it by force to upgrade sim to 4g?

I'm waiting for them to try it.

145 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by duduade: 3:35pm On Nov 17
Kingofum:
Rubbish i am waiting patiently for mtn to block my sim so I can sue their ass.

Is it by force to upgrade sim to 4g?

I'm waiting for them to try it.

A Nigerian who knows his rights

Opportunity to cash out

113 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by ITbomb(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17
Same story here
The crowd there eh, make I no go carry COVID-19 because of sim upgrade

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by celwonder(m): 4:18pm On Nov 17
The annoying part of the upgrade sms from the service provider is that they will be giving me deadline to do so when I am the one buying airtime and subscribing with my own money.

I have beat their deadlines 3 times. I am waiting for them to do their worst.

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Ogbongetech(m): 5:14pm On Nov 17
If you don't upgraded your SIM u will not enjoy fast internet service 3G is already outdated some countries are using 5G already.

How to upgrade my Airtel 3G SIM to 4G
https://ogbongetech.com/2019/12/how-to-upgrade-airtel-3g-sim-to-4g/

Upgrade your Glo SIM from 3G to 4G and get free 10G data
https://ogbongetech.com/2020/11/how-to-get-free-10gb-data-on-glo/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by 4t4th(m): 5:36pm On Nov 17
Stewpit people i no go upgrade

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by branhampaul: 6:33pm On Nov 17
THE TEXT MESSAGES LOOK FAKE.

Here are my reasons:

i. MTN as a company which has competent communicators ought not spell "please" as "pls" in an SMS to its' customers. A professional company will not utilise short-hand in communicating with its' customers.

ii. MTN ought not use a Google form when it can create a form on its' website for professionalism sake.

iii. MTN ought not set a deadline for upgrade to 4G. What about those who do not have android phones? There was a time I visited an MTN center to upgrade my sim, and the first requirement was that I have a 4g phone; as at then, I had no 4g phone so I could not upgrade. I went back home. So now, how can those without a 4g phone be given a deadline; is MTN attempting to give its' customers 4g android phones to make them eligible for upgrades? Seems not plausible.

However, it might turn out that the text messages are true. If so, then MTN should improve in its' manner of communication.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by KillerBeauty(f): 7:16pm On Nov 17
I got the text messages for a long time to upgrade my sim to 4g. I did not. I said it's not by force. In April, at the beginning of the lockdown, my sim just stopped working. No network at all. Tried it in several phones yet nothing. Borrowed friends phone and called customer care, they said they will escalate it. Yet nothing. They couldn't even tell me what happened. They kept apologizing and promised to escalate. I kept talking to different agents.

After everything, I had to buy a new welcome back pack. I feel Mtn deactivated my sim cos of my failure to upgrade to 4g. Though someone said maybe the sim expired, but sim as I know it don't have expiration dates.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by PrudencyFeats: 7:49pm On Nov 17
NettyNelly:
I got an SMS a month ago from my service provider MTN, to upgrade my sim to 4G. I didn't bother cause I already have another MTN 4G sim. Secondly I don't use my MTN sim for internet. But prior to that I found out that the name of the sim owner wasn't mine. Was surprised caused I registered the Sim myself about 8 yrs ago. And I've been using the sim since, though there was a time I didn't use it for a month or two. Then on Thursday last week. I got a seven days waiver to upgrade my sim. I went to their office for an upgrade on Friday but there were lots of people waiting to be attended before me. I couldn't wait so I left. Along with the SMS, there's a link for home upgrade, Incase you can't go to an MTN office. I filled out the form that Friday at home but I got same SMS 48hrs later, reminding of the wavier (which I think means the form was insignificant).
I went again today very early to MTN office in my location. Wrote down my name (no.19), but unfortunately people with long legs kept jumping queue. So that delayed me from being attended to. I left, due to a business trip by 10am. But not certain if I would have the opportunity to visit an MTN office before the end of the waiver.

Here's the problem :
I would've ignored the upgrade if the sim wasn't linked to many of my bank accounts, social media, academia.etc And knowing the sim is with a different name, what are the implications?.
I don't know if my sim would be banned or not after the 7days waiver expires on Thursday?.
I brought this here, because I know there are people who have experienced the same issue before.

Guy, just borrow 1000 naira advance airtime from MTN and they will never block your line even if you lost your sim 2 years.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by foxxydude: 8:35pm On Nov 17
MTN offices are very tight right now
My advice is to port your sim to another network whose offices have low crowds nowadays
Port your sim and the network will give you a 4G sim and you get to keep your number without visiting MTN office grin

Don't forget to go with your valid ID

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Calabar1stSon: 8:45pm On Nov 17
It's only the 9mobile Sim(old or new) that comes with built-in 4G features.

MTN, Glo and Airtel are all analog networks in disguise.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by DesChyko(m): 8:59pm On Nov 17
Does the waiver mean your network will be blocked or that it is free of charge then?
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Ezkid(m): 9:19pm On Nov 17
NettyNelly:
I got an SMS a month ago from my service provider MTN, to upgrade my sim to 4G. I didn't bother cause I already have another MTN 4G sim. Secondly I don't use my MTN sim for internet. But prior to that I found out that the name of the sim owner wasn't mine. Was surprised caused I registered the Sim myself about 8 yrs ago. And I've been using the sim since, though there was a time I didn't use it for a month or two. Then on Thursday last week. I got a seven days waiver to upgrade my sim. I went to their office for an upgrade on Friday but there were lots of people waiting to be attended before me. I couldn't wait so I left. Along with the SMS, there's a link for home upgrade, Incase you can't go to an MTN office. I filled out the form that Friday at home but I got same SMS 48hrs later, reminding of the wavier (which I think means the form was insignificant).

Here's the problem :
I would've ignored the upgrade if the sim wasn't linked to many of my bank accounts, social media, academia.etc And knowing the sim is with a different name, what are the implications?.

What's your location?

I can upgrade it for you in person, if you're willing to pay.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Ezkid(m): 9:21pm On Nov 17
NettyNelly:

Here's the problem :

The implication is your line would be suspended and might be terminated without remedy.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Ezkid(m): 9:21pm On Nov 17
Contact me on Whatsapp
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Xeeex: 9:53pm On Nov 17
The implication of not upgrading your SIM to 4G is that you will not browse in 4G

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by edoairways: 10:45pm On Nov 17
branhampaul:
THE TEXT MESSAGES LOOK FAKE.

Here are my reasons:

i. MTN as a company which has competent communicators ought not spell "please" as "pls" in an SMS to its' customers. A professional company will not utilise short-hand in communicating with its' customers.

ii. MTN ought not use a Google form when it can create a form on its' website for professionalism sake.

iii. MTN ought not set a deadline for upgrade to 4G. What about those who do not have android phones? There was a time I visited an MTN center to upgrade my sim, and the first requirement was that I have a 4g phone; as at then, I had no 4g phone so I could not upgrade. I went back home. So now, how can those without a 4g phone be given a deadline; is MTN attempting to give its' customers 4g android phones to make them eligible for upgrades? Seems not plausible.

However, it might turn out that the text messages are true. If so, then MTN should improve in its' manner of communication.
You can actually upgrade your SIM without a 4G phone this depends on your approach
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by wiseone28: 10:46pm On Nov 17
And my mtn sim of 5yrs got another person's name on it..
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by edoairways: 10:46pm On Nov 17
PrudencyFeats:

Guy, just borrow 1000 naira advance airtime from MTN and they will never block your line even if you lost your sim 2 years.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Emeka71(m): 11:53pm On Nov 17
KillerBeauty:
I got the text messages for a long time to upgrade my sim to 4g. I did not. I said it's not by force. In April, at the beginning of the lockdown, my sim just stopped working. No network at all. Tried it in several phones yet nothing. Borrowed friends phone and called customer care, they said they will escalate it. Yet nothing. They couldn't even tell me what happened. They kept apologizing and promised to escalate. I kept talking to different agents.

After everything, I had to buy a new welcome back pack. I feel Mtn deactivated my sim cos of my failure to upgrade to 4g. Though someone said maybe the sim expired, but sim as I know it don't have expiration dates.
And at last you transferred to a 4G SIM.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Emeka71(m): 11:55pm On Nov 17
PrudencyFeats:

Bad adviser.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by Emeka71(m): 11:58pm On Nov 17
foxxydude:
MTN offices are very tight right now
My advice is to port your sim to another network whose offices have low crowds nowadays
Port your sim and the network will give you a 4G sim and you get to keep your number without visiting MTN office grin

Don't forget to go with your valid ID
Maybe I should go and check thier office though I don't use MTN.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by dustmalik: 1:22am On Nov 18
Ezkid:

The implication is your line would be suspended and might be terminated without remedy.
Please stop spreading misinformation. MTN will neither suspend your line nor terminate it simply because you have not upgraded your sim.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by dustmalik: 1:28am On Nov 18
DesChyko:
Does the waiver mean your network will be blocked or that it is free of charge then?

No. The waiver means that you will not be required to present the pack of the line, or a sworn affidavit, should you not have the pack any longer. But after the date of the waiver, you will be required to present the pack, or a sword affidavit in place of the Sim pack.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Not Upgrading Your Sim To 4G ? by DesChyko(m): 5:57am On Nov 18
dustmalik:

No. The waiver means that you will not be required to present the pack of the line, or a sworn affidavit, should you not have the pack any longer. But after the date of the waiver, you will be required to present the pack, or a sword affidavit in place of the Sim pack.

Ol' boy.
And my nigga is slowing down?? shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Track A Phone Thief. I Have His Phone Number And Account Number / NCC Orders MTN, Glo & Airtel & Others To Extend 30-day Data Expiry Period / When You Call From Abroad Do People See Nigerian Numbers? Twitter User Blames FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.