Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,904 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) (80081 Views)

Get Any POS Terminal Here / My Opay Account Got Frozen After A Transaction With Online Customer / How to get a POS for ATM cash withdrawal and Deposit business in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by justifyme(m): 8:43am On Nov 18, 2020
gentlesinna:
. My brother knowledge is power..there are softwares that bypass OTP and your atm PIN
Fraudsters this days don't need ur pin or otp.
The only information they need is ur card details especially that 3 digit number at d back of ur card which is more important in there fraudulent act.
probably they don’t know about 2D payment gateway!!! No otp and pin is required to zap ur fundz

7 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Golan007: 8:44am On Nov 18, 2020
[s]
AchalugoNwa:
most credit cards does that without pin

I don't use pin when crediting my Facebook ad account.

That's why I think verve card is the most secure in the world because of the pin plus otp stuff
[/s]

Sharap.

Who asked your bloody opinion?
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 18, 2020
ayusco85:

You will just open your mouth Waaaaaaa and spew rubbish.
I work in a bank and I can tell you with all certainty that lots of our customers complain of fraud via their debit card, and most times they are with their debit cards.
The fraudsters use the card details on foreign platforms or websites, such only require your card pan, Security and expiry dates.
Guard your card religiously
Very correct

2 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Shadysen: 8:44am On Nov 18, 2020
helinues:

Are you not going to input your pin in the new POS?
so I will now tell the person the pin abi?

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Ameboperoo(m): 8:44am On Nov 18, 2020
IMAMofWAR:
please can u give me your card details , if i dont empty it in 3 mins without your pin i wll tranfer 50k to u now. make sure money dey inside o
Bet? Oya now.
As if I have money inside grin

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 18, 2020
Be careful guys.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by perryy(m): 8:45am On Nov 18, 2020
galantjoe:
Best safety is to have ATM account. That is a bank account you will used to make atm or Pos withdrawal and you will not keep substantial amount or your life savings in the account.

Once fraudster get hold of ur card number and that 3digit number at the back of atm card, getting your pin is small case.

Be cyber smart!
o

This is what I do . As we speak, I don't know the whereabouts of my Master card but I'm less bothered because I only have 400 naira there

3 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by CHIMAOBICCU(m): 8:45am On Nov 18, 2020
Neddstark:

I pay for stuffs online with simply just the details on my credit card. No OTP, No PIN. My brother this is 100% possible.
which online store

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by deepwater(f): 8:45am On Nov 18, 2020
supportnija:

Stop telling lies, if it is possible those sixteen numbers will not shown out. Is is not possible without your pin. Don't tell me to send it to you because there is no need.

everything about your card is embedded / updated in that silver foil at the back of the card.
a swipe can send u to the village with polyethylene bag

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Catchfirez: 8:45am On Nov 18, 2020
No Pos Agent will take your card inside. Lol. Na room and parlour be there shop? Secondly. And secondly if your card was compromised, it's always people around you that is the culprit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by RealEzee(m): 8:45am On Nov 18, 2020
supportnija:

Stop telling lies, if it is possible those sixteen numbers will not shown out. Is is not possible without your pin. Don't tell me to send it to you because there is no need.
send it to the guy na grin abi u dey fear?

11 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by RealAlubarika(m): 8:46am On Nov 18, 2020
Tiwaz2:
Please, be careful when making a transaction at a POS terminal. Some POS agents can send your ATM card details to fraudsters.

• HOW IT IS BEING DONE

When you go to a POS terminal to make a transaction, he/she will collect your ATM card and slot it into an ATM machine. After few seconds, he/she will tell you that the POS machine is malfunctional (i.e not working properly). He/She will tell you that you should wait while he/she bring another POS machine inside.

When he/she goes inside, your ATM card will be snapped (including the surface and below) with a smartphone. He/She will surely come out with another POS machine, but you will not know that your ATM card had been snapped and sent to fraudsters! The fraudsters will now use your ATM card details and make transactions online!

People need to wise up, but don't the bank app has a functions that allows you to enable online transactions and payment via POS.

When I want to make online transactions I enable it and when I'm done I deactivate it immediately.
My card was compromised, but don't want to apply for another cause it will expire in December

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by DebbieBianca(f): 8:46am On Nov 18, 2020
helinues:

Are you not going to input your pin in the new POS?

What about the OTP being send to your number
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Gsentme(m): 8:46am On Nov 18, 2020
poiZon:

Help me tell dem.
And also even if they try it, they still need to verify their transactions with otp...
You said it all..✊
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Offpoint1: 8:46am On Nov 18, 2020
nedekid:

Oga, listen and learn from him.
Years back, I ordered refurbished common rail injection units for a truck I owned back then from the UK. They sent me an invoice. I asked how to pay, all they said was to provide them with my card number and expiry date. I had not finished calling the number over the phone when debit alert entered.
I was like how did they do it? shocked
Meanwhile I was here in Lagos oh.
It all depends the bank... For my gtb I do all transactions online with just card numbers without otp or pin...

But my UBA, I need Otp, card numbers, pin and special pin if the amount is above 25k.

When it comes to security, I give UBA A1

5 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

No fraudster can take money from your account without your ATM pin.

They can use it and buy things online,I once gave a colleague my ATM card to use for online transaction,he used it and there was nothing like OTP sent to me,I sent mail to the bank and they said they will work on it,come February this year they sent mail that OTP will be applied for any transaction on ATM. So you see, some banks are not doing that

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by justli: 8:47am On Nov 18, 2020
nedekid:

Years back, I ordered refurbished common rail injection units for a truck I owned back then from the UK. They sent me an invoice. I asked how to pay, all they said was to provide them with my card number and expiry date. I had not finished calling the number over the phone when debit alert entered.

That was years back, otp was not required for online transaction...now, with otp, it's extremely hard... Otp provides a third layer of security

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Rhapsodia: 8:47am On Nov 18, 2020
JUSTICE FOR AFROSIX JAARA

https://www.nairaland.com/6261730/aksu-suspends-student-allegedly-abusing#96162146

Lets support this movement and move it to front page...
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Catchfirez: 8:47am On Nov 18, 2020
AchalugoNwa:
most credit cards does that without pin

I don't use pin when crediting my Facebook ad account.

That's why I think verve card is the most secure in the world because of the pin plus otp stuff

You can only use verve card in Nigeria.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Offpoint1: 8:47am On Nov 18, 2020
ebenezer202l:
it will request for otp which will be impossible for your transaction to be successful
Lol, give me your card details and watch
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by capitalzero: 8:48am On Nov 18, 2020
nedekid:

Yes, it is possible for international transaction. For local transactions, pin is needed. Most fraudsters use atm details to shop in international markets

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by OLAMINREWA(m): 8:48am On Nov 18, 2020
supportnija:

Sportybet don't use otp...

7 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by mechanics(m): 8:48am On Nov 18, 2020
You are right, a colleague of mine complained that his money was withdrawn when he used a POS terminal he was not familiar with.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by justli: 8:48am On Nov 18, 2020
Princewill1:
Most of the foreign e-commerce sites you don't need otp or pin to make purchases.

Only front and back of your card.

That used to be the case, now they all do

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Queenserah26(f): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2020
True
LikeAking:
The account wey your big money dey should not be activated for internet banking,etc.

Keep you bank account sim at home.

Follow the first stuff I wrote and u will be fine.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by mickykhe(m): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2020
SKhanmi:
Smh, some folks don't know how things dey go at all. Go and be careless with your atm na, Na body go tell you when debit alerts dey rapture for your inbox. I'll rather go and queue at the ATM than use it to withraw from POS. It's only good for paying in imo. And the way banks give every tom and Harry POS and yet still refuse to track down scammers unless sufficient force is brought to bear is enough to dissuade anybody from messing around with POS agents. If I was a thief I don't even need to snap when I can easily memorize the digits. E go do you like film.
U memorize over 16 digit numbers in few seconds? Weldon memory card

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by tartar9(m): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2020
We really have to be careful...igbos are everywhere.

6 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by RealAlubarika(m): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2020
poiZon:

Help me tell dem.
And also even if they try it, they still need to verify their transactions with otp...

Please not all transactions need such verification I can say from experience. During the lockdown bought some shirt online from China they didn't send any verification before making the debit.

They only requested for my card number, expiring date(year and month) and the 3 digit number at the reverse side of the card

3 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Awoo88: 8:50am On Nov 18, 2020
adecz:

Some people here are just
displaying ignorance because they
don't know how far ahead cyber criminals are.

With all the levels of security, American
Government & European organizations
got taken by Hushpuppi & crew.

Once your card details have been
accessed, the only remaining thing is
your PIN which they can bypass.
They know how to get the OTP by
try & error.
If OTP is required than the card detail is useless. That is why they Call sometimes trying to trick you into sending it to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by seun70(m): 8:51am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

With reference to the above scenario, yes, they won't be able to take money out without your PIN BUT, the will be able to order goods online!

My professional question and advice to you all:

1. Why would you allow the attendant to go away with your card?
2. If the first POS doesn't work, your card should be given back to you to hold onto whilst he/she leave to get another POS.

NOTE: Never give anyone the opportunity to have a picture of both the front and rear of your card.

5 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by coolsegun2002: 8:51am On Nov 18, 2020
Raymond989:
For those that don’t believe what the op is saying, u can as well just leave a picture of the front and back of ur card. If u really confident you money can’t be remove without ur pin or otp, mk we try some experiment... I come in peace.

4 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by uchennamani(m): 8:52am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

This is not true. Fraudsters don't need your pin to use your card details to purchase items online. All they need is the card serial number, the expiry date and the code on the other side. Be careful please.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

CBN Drops ATM Withdrawal Limit To N20k/Day / Matches: I Am Shocked After Seeing This In Nigeria (photo) / Aliko Dangote And His Ex Wife Meet, Years After Divorce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.