Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,032 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) (80082 Views)

Get Any POS Terminal Here / My Opay Account Got Frozen After A Transaction With Online Customer / How to get a POS for ATM cash withdrawal and Deposit business in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Psoul(m): 9:44am On Nov 18, 2020
The Most shocking case was recently when tons of Axis Bank accounts were compromised and that too because of the data taken out of the debit card users at Atms. Most of the users who used the Debit card in the ATM, complained this issue.

If you will ask a banker or any tech guy who deals in payments will always advise you to keep the card data safe. Not to hand over card to anyone just like that.

Even though your card has a 2FA activated, the card money could be taken out.

How?

Your card has 16 digit number.

Your card has expiry month/year.

Your card has Security code on back side.

If someone has got these three information, they can use these details on International Websites, where actually the RBI rules doesn't work out. There they may/or not ask for the OTP verification. And at such International websites your card could be used to take out the money.

How a Card works on most of international websites?

There you will have to provide card number. Expiry & Security and you can pay. There is even no need to write the correct name which is on card. And once these data is submitted and clicked on Checkout, the money is authorised & charged instantly. They wont ask for the OTP/2Fa details.

Although there will be IP footprint etc, but that is mostly of no use. Usually in dark web all these kind of things are used.

How to Protect your card then?

Its quite simple, which most people dont do.

De-Activate[/b]the card for [b]international usages. Its quite simple. Many of the banks has their mobile app, where you can activate/de-activate the card for international usages. If you dont have a Mobile App or your bank has not yet provided this facility on mobile app, you still can do this by calling the customer care of the bank. Ask them to de-activate the card for international usages. Simple!

A 2–3 min of call will save you from lot of hassle.

Just to note: Now a days, many countries outside India too are working on enabling 2FA on cards. And very soon on most of the payment gateways internationally the 2FA requirement will come up. But its still an open end, which can anytime loot away your money.

PS: Never give the card to anyone in restaurant just like that or at any store location. Go to the EDC machine yourself or ask them to bring one to you, if they have the mobile EDC. Try to hide the back side of the card for sure. Or the best is Scracth of the Security from your card back side. Keep it in your mind. And it will save you lots of hassle in times when you actually will have to give the card to someone.

3 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Elsueno: 9:45am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

No fraudster can take money from your account without your ATM pin.

Says who, oga send me the pictures of ur ATM if I don't empty ur account in 1 hour, I will refund u double what's in their

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Mistykeen: 9:45am On Nov 18, 2020
fergusen:

As someone who buys domain names from USA companies/websites like GoDaddy, Epik, Dynadot, etc, He is correct.
Only these three details are needed.

16 digit code at the front.
3 digit security code at the back.
The expiry month and year of the card as displayed on the card.

No OTP or ATM PIN!

Cheers wink
Cool buh you got to understand your ecommerce website is mostly built differently if it's 2d payment gateway you cool with all that buh if na 3d payment gateway make e b Yankee card sef e go ask OTP

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by noble71(m): 9:46am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

You are new to hacking with your card front and back details your account will be cleared in minutes.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by emeejinsm: 9:46am On Nov 18, 2020
IMAMofWAR:
please can u give me your card details , if i dont empty it in 3 mins without your pin i wll tranfer 50k to u now. make sure money dey inside o
grin
IMAMofWAR:
please can u give me your card details , if i dont empty it in 3 mins without your pin i wll tranfer 50k to u now. make sure money dey inside o
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by lekki1444: 9:46am On Nov 18, 2020
Aug28th:

Just hearing this for the first time....
Can you educate me more?

Do you mean, my cash will be deducted without me getting alerts?

And let's assumes it happens that way, can't you sue the bank for negligence or something?

well you know many bank staffs are underpaid and many are scammers so they know the accounts of people who have lots of money but not activated online. so they can create accounts and transfer all your money and mute the alert. when you go into the bank they will tell you your account is empty. thats the disadvantage of an account not online that you can monitor every second of the day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by faste: 9:46am On Nov 18, 2020
annayawchee:
you card number and cv.v is all those foreign e-commerce website needs.... Go figure...
some banks adopt mastercard or verify by visa
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by lekki1444: 9:47am On Nov 18, 2020
Uzomacharles:

Fraudster Sighter Sighted
grin you get mind oo bros
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by 080bjaked(m): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2020
Risentouch:
As for me my ATM card is only active whenever I want to transact with it immediately am done in less than 10secs I don lock am again. Let me know how professional d fraudster can be to withdraw or purchase with an atm card that is not active...
That's my own tactics of keeping my card safe from some hungry bastards, Because I can't even use it to withdraw from an atm machine as long as it's still locked

Lock ATM or lock the bank account? Maybe you can provide more clarity on this please.

Cos from what I'm sure off, once your ATM is blocked, most banks will ask that you get a new one. CBN policy doesn't allow banks to unblock ATMs at will. Just as there's a policy that mandates swallowed cards in other bank's ATMs to be destroyed (but we know they don't always follow this grin)

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by jidxin(m): 9:48am On Nov 18, 2020
Tiwaz2:
Please, be careful when making a transaction at a POS terminal. Some POS agents can send your ATM card details to fraudsters.

• HOW IT IS BEING DONE

When you go to a POS terminal to make a transaction, he/she will collect your ATM card and slot it into an ATM machine. After few seconds, he/she will tell you that the POS machine is malfunctional (i.e not working properly). He/She will tell you that you should wait while he/she bring another POS machine inside.

When he/she goes inside, your ATM card will be snapped (including the surface and below) with a smartphone. He/She will surely come out with another POS machine, but you will not know that your ATM card had been snapped and sent to fraudsters! The fraudsters will now use your ATM card details and make transactions online!

but my bank always send otp or ask for my PIN for online transactions
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by guru90: 9:48am On Nov 18, 2020
LikeAking:
The account wey your big money dey should not be activated for internet banking,etc.

Keep you bank account sim at home.

Follow the first stuff I wrote and u will be fine.

biggest sense in what u said!!!
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by lytech1(m): 9:49am On Nov 18, 2020
chaloner:
see what u don't know you learn. Send me your ATM details only and your money will varnish. Bliv if u want to. But know otp can be bypassed. It is even very easy, very very easy

Continue deceiving your self

If only I can see you to place a bet on this.

I will give u every details you need about the card.

Won't give u my pin,my phone number and also won't give u access to my phone.

If u don't perform ur wonders...

You are a looser

2 Likes

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by blackgold90(m): 9:49am On Nov 18, 2020
Tiwaz2:
Please, be careful when making a transaction at a POS terminal. Some POS agents can send your ATM card details to fraudsters.

• HOW IT IS BEING DONE

When you go to a POS terminal to make a transaction, he/she will collect your ATM card and slot it into an ATM machine. After few seconds, he/she will tell you that the POS machine is malfunctional (i.e not working properly). He/She will tell you that you should wait while he/she bring another POS machine inside.

When he/she goes inside, your ATM card will be snapped (including the surface and below) with a smartphone. He/She will surely come out with another POS machine, but you will not know that your ATM card had been snapped and sent to fraudsters! The fraudsters will now use your ATM card details and make transactions online!

Your name and pin is very vital they can succeed without them. This is fake information.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by lekki1444: 9:49am On Nov 18, 2020
Risentouch:
As for me my ATM card is only active whenever I want to transact with it immediately am done in less than 10secs I don lock am again. Let me know how professional d fraudster can be to withdraw or purchase with an atm card that is not active...
That's my own tactics of keeping my card safe from some hungry bastards, Because I can't even use it to withdraw from an atm machine as long as it's still locked
how do you deactivate it ?
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Emeka71(m): 9:50am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

Some fraudsters have a way of getting the PIN.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Emiron(m): 9:51am On Nov 18, 2020
supportnija:

Stop telling lies, if it is possible those sixteen numbers will not shown out. Is is not possible without your pin. Don't tell me to send it to you because there is no need.

TOOLS DEY PLENTY IF U KNOW U KNOW

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by blackgold90(m): 9:51am On Nov 18, 2020
helinues:

Are you not going to input your pin in the new POS?

Except you foolishly input your pin in their on very eyes
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 18, 2020
Donjazzy12:

Some e-commerce sites do not request for pin. So they can transact on such sites with ur card details.
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by blackgold90(m): 9:53am On Nov 18, 2020
Elsueno:

Says who, oga send me the pictures of ur ATM if I don't empty ur account in 1 hour, I will refund u double what's in their

You are lieing
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Jodera: 9:53am On Nov 18, 2020
Esanboy111:
yeah , almost the same, but no gain there last last if the customer received a debit alert it can be traced the information and email will be reveled from there work don start.
the email and debit would just be that so so amount was debited and so so outlet.

No information or phone number about the person, no name about the person. How will you trace such person?

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Missionaire: 9:54am On Nov 18, 2020
gentlesinna:
. My brother knowledge is power..there are softwares that bypass OTP and your atm PIN
Fraudsters this days don't need ur pin or otp.
The only information they need is ur card details especially that 3 digit number at d back of ur card which is more important in there fraudulent act.

Leave them let them be arguing na.
My card details without my knowledge was used on PayArena and 17k was wiped without my knowledge or OTP.
When I contacted GTB, I was told that it is very possible and that it cannot be traced as it was used on a third party site blah blah. I am still on it though.
That was Oct 13 last month.

Let them upload their number on their cards without even the 3 digit code on the back of the card sef because i didn't have one and have never used the card for online transactions before. Let them upload it and see American wonders.

Many people have also faced similiar issues.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Miyachi: 9:54am On Nov 18, 2020
fergusen:

As someone who buys domain names from USA companies/websites like GoDaddy, Epik, Dynadot, etc, He is correct.
Only these three details are needed.

16 digit code at the front.
3 digit security code at the back.
The expiry month and year of the card as displayed on the card.

No OTP or ATM PIN!

Cheers wink

Yes, but that can be mitigated if you enable VBV for Visa and Mastercard SecureCode for MasterCard. This stops all unauthorized use of your card.

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Scope26(m): 9:55am On Nov 18, 2020
poiZon:

Help me tell dem.
And also even if they try it, they still need to verify their transactions with otp...
Just do yourself a favour by verify if the information here is true. How?
-Visit twitter
-Create a post with your full card details excluding pin
-Add trending hashtags
Come back here and share your testimoney. It will shock you grin
poiZon:

Help me tell dem.
And also even if they try it, they still need to verify their transactions with otp...
Just do yourself a favour by verifying if the information here is true. How?
-Visit twitter
-Create a post with your full card details excluding pin
-Add trending hashtags
Come back here and share your testimoney. It will shock you

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by sylve11: 9:55am On Nov 18, 2020
gentlesinna:
. My brother knowledge is power..there are softwares that bypass OTP and your atm PIN
Fraudsters this days don't need ur pin or otp.
The only information they need is ur card details especially that 3 digit number at d back of ur card which is more important in there fraudulent act.

Fear don dey catch me o... shocked cool
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by fergusen: 9:56am On Nov 18, 2020
lytech1:

Continue deceiving your self

If only I can see you to place a bet on this.

I will give u every details you need about the card.

Won't give u my pin,my phone number and also won't give u access to my phone.

If u don't perform ur wonders...

You are a looser
Lol. If you constantly make purchases online from foreign sites like GoDaddy, namecheap, etc you won't be talking like this.

You don't need OTP or ATM PIN on some of these merchant sites.

Cheers wink

1 Like

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Emiron(m): 9:56am On Nov 18, 2020
blackgold90:

You are lieing

I SWEAR U ARE IN DEEP SHIT IF U SEND FRONT AND BACK NO DOUBT AM NA TRUE NO B LIE IF U KNOW U KNOW NA TOOLS DEM DEY CALL AM
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 18, 2020
supportnija:

And you think if they something like that bank will not be aware, OP stop typing because you feel like typing, all these security are embedded in your ATM chip ,it will not bypass.
Can you snap both sides of your ATM card and quote me with it?

Please ensure there is money in the account
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by invectives(m): 9:58am On Nov 18, 2020
Raymond989:
The op just trying educate u, but if u don’t believe wat his saying, u can as well leave a pics of ur card. Let do some experiment. I come in peace
I have been a victim.. hear word....its enough for the wise!!!
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 18, 2020
ebenezer202l:
it will request for otp which will be impossible for your transaction to be successful
Snap both sides of your card and quote me with it, make sure you have good money in it.

Shey you have coconut head

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by RealZizou(m): 9:59am On Nov 18, 2020
No vex bro.... Which store do you buy online from and didn't ask of your pin or OTP?
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by blackgold90(m): 9:59am On Nov 18, 2020
Raymond989:
For those that don’t believe what the op is saying, u can as well just leave a picture of the front and back of ur card. If u really confident you money can’t be remove without ur pin or otp, mk we try some experiment... I come in peace.

I have one foreign card back and front numbers can we try ?leave number
Re: Be Careful When Making A Transaction At A POS Terminal (Here Is Why) by Onepeople: 9:59am On Nov 18, 2020
supportnija:

And you think if they something like that bank will not be aware, OP stop typing because you feel like typing, all these security are embedded in your ATM chip ,it will not bypass.
why are you making this shallow argument? Fraudsters have been defrauding people through this means, only ur atm details is more than enough, I have gone to bank to make this argument they only advise me to keep my card save.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

CBN Drops ATM Withdrawal Limit To N20k/Day / Matches: I Am Shocked After Seeing This In Nigeria (photo) / Aliko Dangote And His Ex Wife Meet, Years After Divorce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.