Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,003 members, 7,799,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos (16574 Views)

Midnight Fire Razes Seven Shops In Anambra (Photos) / Fire Razes Atakumosa Central Market In Osun / Fire Razes Otowodo Market In Ughelli, Delta State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by pak: 1:00am On Nov 18, 2020
Cutezt:
An inferno razed down the Timber B Hausa line of popular wood market Katako, In Jos, the Plateau State Capital in the late hours of Monday.

The fire which occurred on Monday night destroyed property worth millions of naira and left many shop owners in despair.

According to an eyewitness who identified himself as Adamu Abdulahi, the fire started in the night, but he couldn’t give details on what was the cause of the inferno.

Abdulahi said the inferno started at about 11 pm.

He said despite the presence of the state firefighters, the inferno destroyed dozens of timber shelves.

“The fire started and men of the fire service, did their best as they swiftly responded, and they kept on coming with their fire fighting trucks,” he said.

In 2013, a similar incident occurred in the same market, and traders lost goods worth millions of naira.

Officials of the state fire service are yet to make any statement on the Monday situation.

The Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong responded swiftly by promising to set up a committee to look into the constant cause of inferno at Katako market where properties worth Millions of Naira were destroyed.

Governor Lalong disclosed this while visiting the scene which was guilted by fire on Monday night, expressed deep concern over the sad development regretting the reoccurrence of fire incident at the market each year which is affecting the traders and the economy of the state.

Governor Lalong who was represented by the Management Committee Chairman of Jos North Shehu Bala Usman said the committee when Constituted would work closely with the officials of the market to find a lasting solution to the constant fire incident in the area.

Setup a committee to look into the constant cause of inferno at a wood market during harmattan ??
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by killuminati(m): 1:24am On Nov 18, 2020
pak:

Setup a committee to look into the constant cause of inferno at a wood market during harmattan ??
grin

Can you imagine that..

2 Likes

Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by richmanrichard: 1:26am On Nov 18, 2020
leisuretym:
..lol where igbos dey for the market? Igbos were chased away there in 2008 and the rest in 2011 crisis.
Even dilimi market , igbos were chased away there in 2011 after they burnt their shops , go and find out or use Google.
I left that town because of those illiterate killers , but the indigenous people are very nice
your damn right. durinh unijos days, those area na deadly areas to be in as a christian, student n visitors during crisis. lost some fellow students there then. the market is close to village hustel n zaria rd/farengada.

1 Like

Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Rahkman: 1:26am On Nov 18, 2020
castynept:

You probably know nothing about the timber business at Katako
baba na true him dey talk which ibo man still dey sell for katako timber market?
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by richmanrichard: 1:30am On Nov 18, 2020
castynept:

he is perfectly right
. Apart frm abok is, whom else uses that market now?
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by jmk4u: 4:17am On Nov 18, 2020
Similar fire incident occurred in same market in 2008 when I was undergoing NYSC in Jos. This shows that we don't learn from past mistakes and don't take pre- cautionary measures either.
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by leisuretym: 6:33am On Nov 18, 2020
richmanrichard:
your damn right. durinh unijos days, those area na deadly areas to be in as a christian, student n visitors during crisis. lost some fellow students there then. the market is close to village hustel n zaria rd/farengada.

The guilables will say nah fake news , they said we should host all west Africans youth in Lagos as far as they look fulanis or Hausa
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by ostarlink: 6:41am On Nov 18, 2020
It z no longer news about fire inferno at this Katako market. This is just fire inferno 2020 at Katako market. It z an annual exercise. Hope 2021 own will prove me wrong.
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by IchbinAB: 7:38am On Nov 18, 2020
It's a pity. Sorry for the loss to the owners of the properties. Later now, our government go talk say na #ENDSARS peaceful protesters burn the place.

Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Anaerobi(m): 8:23am On Nov 18, 2020
Ritualist. Xmas done near.....
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Modivs: 9:37am On Nov 18, 2020
Koralords:
Katako this brings back nostalgic feelings,grew up in that area 1986-93,
The crisis just spoilt jtown,one of the best cities you can ever wish to live in
bros we share the same feelings the calmness of jos city during harmattan
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by NwaOtuNaJos: 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2020
Nawa o, i dey jos & i no know. Come, all those ones arguing above me when last did u visit the market? igbos are back in the market selling timber, building materials, kitchen wares and all sorts of plastic then aboki's okirika market is dia too. Well, by his grace i pray d people affected will cope & survive
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Blackdisciple(m): 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2020
castynept:

Tell him oo, Igbos are there and no one chased them away....

I know katako market since I was a child till date, sure Jos religious crisis was another thing entirely.
but this katako market and fire hmmm na usual tin wey dey happen ooo,

sometimes I feel that the fire is not ordinary
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Yaks02(m): 10:23pm On Nov 18, 2020
choblak:

Laranto close to st Augustine major seminary
Way leading unijos

Familiar place, I'm from jos too
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by choblak(m): 7:01am On Nov 19, 2020
Yaks02:

Familiar place, I'm from jos too

From plateau or u stays in jos?

And which did?
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Yaks02(m): 12:01am On Nov 21, 2020
choblak:

From plateau or u stays in jos?

And which did?

I'm from plateau and I live in Jos too
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by choblak(m): 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2020
Yaks02:

I'm from plateau and I live in Jos too

Which LGC and Area in jos
Am from bassa irigwe by tribe
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Yaks02(m): 11:14pm On Nov 21, 2020
choblak:

Which LGC and Area in jos
Am from bassa irigwe by tribe

I'm Ngas by tribe from kanke but live in Jos
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by choblak(m): 5:03pm On Nov 22, 2020
Yaks02:

I'm Ngas by tribe from kanke but live in Jos

Nice meeting you Nde Yaks
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Yaks02(m): 7:12am On Nov 23, 2020
choblak:

Nice meeting you Nde Yaks

Hahahaahaha
Who taught u dat one?
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by choblak(m): 11:10pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yaks02:

Hahahaahaha
Who taught u dat one?

Haha I have ngas friends
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Yaks02(m): 11:19pm On Nov 23, 2020
choblak:

Haha I have ngas friends

Can we chat on WhatsApp?
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by choblak(m): 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2020
Yaks02:

Can we chat on WhatsApp?

Yes no p
Re: Fire Razes Wood Market 'Katako' In Jos by Yaks02(m): 12:08am On Nov 25, 2020
choblak:

Yes no p
Thanks
Check ur WhatsApp

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official Thread: YOUWIN 4 - Business Plan Competition 2014 / Traders From Chad, Cameroon And Niger Rush To Kebbi For Rice / How To Pay For Facebook And Instagram Ads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.