Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? (96249 Views)

Lion Spotted Taking A Walk On The Streets In Roma, Italy Last Night (pics/video) / Japa: Don't Insult Nigeria If You Fall Under These Kind Of People (opinion) / Dubai Tram: Why Don't We Have This Mode Of Public Transport In Nigeria? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by icankel: 2:35pm On Nov 23, 2020
the buildings in Onitsha street will make one marvel but roads will make u throw up. our leaders are busy travelling to Abuja to collect their share of loots

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Beautyaddy: 2:36pm On Nov 23, 2020
slimfit1:
Lagos use to be like this in the 60s. It can look like that nothing special.

Liar!

Nigeria can never have those well paved, good and maintained infrastructures with your kind of mentality.

And it's a Fact! angry
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Jessechinex: 2:36pm On Nov 23, 2020
we have them in aba Abia state
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by chaloskyx: 2:37pm On Nov 23, 2020
CAUSE YOU KEEP ELECTING ROUGES INTO PUBLIC OFFICES, CAUSE YOU KEEP HAILING POLITICIANS WHO HAVE RUINED YOUR COUNTRY CAUSE YOU HAVE REFUSED TO KICK BACK AND FIGHT AGAINS THE GOVT THAT OPRESSES YOU CAUSE YOU ARE ACTUALLY COMFORTABLE WITH THE LEADERS GOVERNING YOU
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ghostmode2two(m): 2:37pm On Nov 23, 2020
Our politicians are corrupt and we love celebrating mediocrity.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by quickly: 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:
Apart from patching roads and building useless bridges where it's not even needed, What other things do they politicians see as development?

Imagine having this kind of cool streets in Nigeria with Good drainage system and not this open gutters we have everywhere??

Why can't black people think out of the BOX??

its not magic,

two words maintenance and upgrade.

at one time the road would have been like a typical nigerian road but the difference the oyinbo man will look and say i have seen better and i am going to upgrade a bad road to a beautiful road.

when i was overseas i see it all the time

U will be thinkin gthis road is good now whats wrong but they keep upgrading with painting , relaying the bitumen to give it that blacks shine etc.

But nigerian poltician will want to chop that money and put in his bank account

that is the difference

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Bbbwings: 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:

Yes, he wants Government to squeeze life out of us all in the name of tax, And at the end there won be nothing to show for it again!!
Don't mind be him.
With the huge amount of tax generated in Lagos it should be a mini Dubai now
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

It is not all about having money being rich. It is about mentality. Their reasoning.

Bad leaders and bad followers.

Africans, SMH

True, here's what this oyinbo said grin

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by uniquelyspecial(m): 2:39pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yenefer:
Because just like fingers are different. Countries are also different they maybe rich and develop now,. Nigeria will also rise and develop. they may also fall
Story...... Words of consolation
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by babasolution: 2:43pm On Nov 23, 2020
IronGalaxy:
I mean, Nigerians have this thing of attributing every little progressive thing to white people and the bad to blacks and it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. There are roads still being built in South Africa or Namibia as we speak, still the work of white people? It simply means you think so low of yourself that you think you can't even build a road.

Forget about comments on nairaland they are not a true reflection of Nigerian thoughts,most of these people are ipob,separatist that hate nigeria
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Bbbwings: 2:45pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:
Muhammed Airport in Lagos has the most ridiculous interior I have ever seen, We don't give a Fúçk about architecture in this part of the world!!

Just take a look at this interior of the Star airport in china!!
Guy
Don't let me get depressed again embarassed
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by sonnie10: 2:45pm On Nov 23, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

So what.do you do when the loot is finished and you have to raise money for things like ongoing maintenance of the roads? Or upgrading the road? Or expanding the road.?

Note that i fully agree that billions have been looted and they need recovering. So we agree on that point

But when we have finished using the looted money to build infrastructure, how do we pay for its maintenance, future upgrading, and so on?

That's where taxes and taxes come in as well as polices like deregulation which could attract jobs.

The Soviet union worked till they finished using the siezed loot of the bourgeoisie. Then thats where issues started.
Where do you think the loots came from in the first place?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by 27Pushing30: 2:46pm On Nov 23, 2020
Lol unless you’ve never been to Nigeria you’d know we have streets like this .

Are you telling me EVERY WHERE for Oyibo side na paradise?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by akaahs(m): 2:49pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yenefer:
Due to PDP stolen almost everything and doing nothing to develop the country
......and how many dem apc dey build? d way u guys guick to bring PDP 16 years as if apc are doing better. infact we prefer pdp reign than d demonic reign we are withnessing.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by dalass(f): 2:51pm On Nov 23, 2020
PhiliptheArab:
We don't have these kind of streets in nigeria because we are not ready to pay the kind of taxes that would fund and maintain those kind of streets.

In the UK, if you are living in the city, you pay council tax which ranges from 60000 to 100000 naira monthly depending on the city. That money goes into making the cities look nice

That's why uk cities have great streets.

If we charged that kind of tax in Nigeria, Nigerians would scream.

So we pay scanty taxes and get scanty and bad roads

The bad roads we have in Nigeria are what we can afford. The sad thing is that looting still happens on top

UK pays huge taxes but they also have jobs for citizens. Power and water supply. Security of lives and businesses is sacrosanct.

Here, we still pay taxes too from salaries, businesses and even on goods, services, economic transactions, we pay too. On a number of things VAT is there.

But as you rightly mentioned, looting is involved. Obasanjo sold 2 refineries because they were old, non functional and drainage of government money. Yraadua reversed it because she people benefitting from and here we are , the Engineers and their MDs are still there, spending billions of dollars on turn around maintaimance and we're still importing fuel!
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by babasolution: 2:51pm On Nov 23, 2020
willybaby:
Op make inferiority complex no kill you o.. infact this post is very stupid and useless.. must we live our lives totally according to the dictates of the white man Ni... Construction is determined by factors such as design, wants, climate, etc
Eg streets designed for right hand drive we just also design and build in nigeria abi

Exactly all these post comparing Nigerian cities to western cities are stupid,must we build our cities like theirs?,Lagos and most Nigerian cities have a unique vibe and look to it different from most other world cities,I like it
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ifesinachi22(m): 2:51pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:
Apart from patching roads and building useless bridges where it's not even needed, What other things do they politicians see as development?

Imagine having this kind of cool streets in Nigeria with Good drainage system and not this open gutters we have everywhere??

Dayton way street is in Beverly Hills, California. Op careful nah.

How can you compare Nigeria and the US
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 23, 2020
dalass:

UK pays huge taxes but they also have jobs for citizens. Power and water supply. Security of lives and businesses is sacrosanct.

Here, we still pay taxes too, even on goods, services, economic transactions, we pay too. On a number of things VAT is there.

But as you rightly mentioned, looting is involved. Obasanjo sold 2 refineries because they were old, non functional and drainage of government money. Yraadua reversed it because she people benefitting from and here we are , the Engineers and their MDs are still there, spending billions of dollars on turn around maintaimance and we're still importing fuel!

Actually we dont pay as much tax as does the uk.

The UK has a tax to gdp ratio of 33% . Nigeria is 5.8% and our gdp is less than that of the UK.

As an example, do you pay a council tax of 70000 naira where you live? Monthly? Uk citizens pay the equivalent in pounds some even pay more depending on the city.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by dalass(f): 2:55pm On Nov 23, 2020
Ifesinachi22:

Dayton way street is in Beverly Hills, California. Op careful nah.

How can you compare Nigeria and the US

Why not?

We try to copy everything from them except their sincerity and patriotism
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by popizaino(m): 2:56pm On Nov 23, 2020
Litmus:
Sometimes the thing that gets me about Nigeria city environments, the unacceptableness of the thing, is the squalor you get in all the states, in all the cities. It always amazes me how nations even more impoverished than Nigeria can manage to seem somewhat habitable given their circumstance in the form of wars, poverty and what not and yet comparable places in Nigeria can seem nightmarish by contrast, uninhabitable even at a crunch.

See war-torn Afghanistan as an example:

[img]http://www.stripes.com/polopoly_fs/1.320383.1419102910!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_900/image.jpg[/img]

No place in Nigeria should look as bad as those images of Aba market, places in Lagos and all over Nigeria often posted on Niaraland. These issues go beyond corruption; these are issues of rank ignorance and the simple inability of too many of those in position of power in Nigeria.

Technological innovations and mechanism to build them in quantities is difficult, symmetrical cities, pavements, roads, trees and maintaining them –essentially the business of bricks and mortar is not.

It all boils down to the government.
The issue of city planning is just enacting a law and make sure people adhere to it and not compromise because of family and friends.There should be zonning laws also.

Pull down commercial structures in areas not design to have such buuilding and not comprising because it's own by a rich politician.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 23, 2020
dalass:

Why not?

We try to copy everything from them except their sincerity and patriotism

We also even allowing for a return of all the loot dont have as much cash as the U.S.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Joshater(m): 3:00pm On Nov 23, 2020
CB road fine pass that road by far na! Road wey dey adorned with blood and sweat? Nothing beats that! grin grin grin

NNAMDIII:
there's nothing special in this place, some places in Lagos is just like this
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 23, 2020
babasolution:

Exactly all these post comparing Nigerian cities to western cities are stupid,must we build our cities like theirs?,Lagos and most Nigerian cities have a unique vibe and look to it different from most other world cities,I like it

True, open gutters are a feature, let's call it an African design cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by somehow: 3:03pm On Nov 23, 2020
Time waster.
oguns222:

You are in a better position to tell who you hail.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Babaken(m): 3:03pm On Nov 23, 2020
The reason is greed, selfishness, wickedness.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by ifex370(m): 3:05pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yenefer:
Due to PDP stolen almost everything and doing nothing to develop the country

Yes ooo.. We're waiting for APC to fix things.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 23, 2020
omoharry:
The country is too poor to have such .Even if all the fantastic structures are put in place ,it will not stop the hawkers,and street urchin ( supported by politicians ) from defacing the place with thier dirty and rickety buses, dirt and human waste. We need to attend to our citizens first before any meaningful development can happen in this country.
At present Nigeria look like a caused land that nothing seem to work .
exactly my point, each time I wonder why most Nigerians are just dirty.. Nigeria streets can look like this in the future, but now, we are not developed for that.. a country where drivers find it difficult to obey traffic lights /rules.. so bad

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by 400billionman: 3:09pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yenefer:
Because just like fingers are different. Countries are also different they maybe rich and develop now,. Nigeria will also rise and develop. they may also fall

Terrorist, what will make them fall, there is nothing like backward development abroad.

Or are you preparing to bomb those streets ?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by babasolution: 3:09pm On Nov 23, 2020
jajeri3216:

True, open gutters are a feature, let's call it an African design cheesy

In Lagos open gutters were the norm in the past,now most drainages being built aren't open,besides even with the drainages covered people eventually open them up by destroying them,also open gutters can be a design feature due to the way houses and the general environment is built,everything should not be judged based on white man standards,even if our standards are inferior they are ours,that's the greatest mistake of black men,they always want to accept all standards but theirs,I tell you if Europeans start building open gutters for any damn reason it will become the new standard for most black men like you,u will start complaining on why we have covered drainages,ours is ours that's all that matters
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by kingsavage: 3:10pm On Nov 23, 2020
IronGalaxy:
Racist attitudes have nothing to do with ownership of anything. I can have a strong dislike of Chinese people but end up getting a job in China. Use your brain please
not in a land owned by zulus... How can a white is not an anorigine be racist towards me in my own country?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:11pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:

I don't know about other African countries or black people, but I can say why in case of Nigeria. When you're forcefully joined to a group of people who detest developments and always want to hold on to their archaic and crude ways of doing things,you can never have streets like these ones in Nigeria.

Imagine if the old western region (of Nigeria) was an independent country with Awolowo as its first President or Prime Minister, we would have been envy of most of these European countries. After all, we had Television station,first in Africa,ahead of some of these western countries e.g Spain.

Trust me,with true federalism in which each state is allowed to develop at its own pace,owns and controls its resources, I can tell you that hundred of streets like those above will spring up from southern Nigeria.

The present "almajiri" system,as being practised, abhors anything called development !

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yenefer:
u always posting senseless post, just say corruption will not let ur country see road instead beating around d bush.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (29) (Reply)

Life In Cyprus Is Not Easy - Nigerian Man Shares His Experiences (Photos) / Lady Controls Traffic In Port Harcourt Under Heavy Rain (Photos) / American Wife Shows The Living Condition With Her Nigerian Husband To Her Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.