Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,554 members, 7,809,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas (47988 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by IG: 8:35pm On Mar 19, 2011
This is from a book "The Unknown Arabs: Clear And Definitive Proof Of The Dark Complexion Of The Original Arabs And The Arab Origin Of The So-Called African Americans" by Tariq Berry pages 122-123

The Yoruba Tribe, with it's many branches such as the Oyo, Egba, Egbado, Ijebu, Ekiti, Ondo, Akoko, Ikale, Ijesha, Yagba, Jumu, Aworo, Ife, Aja and Mahi is an Arab tribe that entered the area called Africa from Arabia many years ago. Some say they are from Mecca and from the tribe of Quraish. Others say that they descended from Ya'rub the son of Qahtan from Yemen; hence the name Yoruba.

Frank Willet says; "Clapperton has recorded Sultan Bello's account of the Arabian origin of the Yoruba.",

, The Encyclopedia Britannica says "Another important linguistic group consist of the Yoruba-speaking peoples who, like the Hausa and Fulani, have ancient connection with the Middle East"

If you are still wondering why the Yorubas are black and the Arabs light skinned, then you need to learn of the skin color of the original Arabs.
Start from http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/True_Negros/Assorted/Paintings.htm

DISCLAIMER: I am neither a historian nor a Yoruba but has a keen interest on true history that is often hidden away from us (the public)
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by ekubear1: 8:41pm On Mar 19, 2011
Crackpot pseudoscience.

No significant connection between yoruba and arabs

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 8:44pm On Mar 19, 2011
grin grin grin

When Africans stop trying to say we descend from a Semitic group. We should be saying they descended from us, because Africans are the original man. We did not descend anyone! angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 19, 2011
Poster,

you obviously didnt do your homework right.

I already found the connection between the Chinese and the Yorubas. The Chinese are of the Yoruba origin. Scientifically speaking, the Homo Erectus from S.Asia, migrated from the SW part of NIgeria.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 8:58pm On Mar 19, 2011
^^^

And I doubt that as well.

Most humans originated from a region in Ethiopia. That is the cradle of mankind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 19, 2011
B.S.

Ile-Ife is the cradle of all man-kind.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by IG: 9:00pm On Mar 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

grin grin grin

When Africans stop trying to say we descend from a Semitic group.  We should be saying they descended from us, because Africans are the original man. We did not descend anyone!  angry

But the Original Semites are not white. The Arabs we are talking about are not the light skinned people today claiming to be Arabs.
The following links will help give you an idea

http://realhistoryww.com/
http://savethetruearabs..com/
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:00pm On Mar 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

B.S.

Ile-Ife is the cradle of all man-kind.

Say what you want, but the early man traces it origins to Eastern Africa, not Western Africa. Even my people's origin myth says we migrated from the East in either present day Sudan or Ethiopia.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:02pm On Mar 19, 2011
IG:

But the Original Semites are not white. The Arabs we are talking about are not the light skinned people today claiming to be Arabs.
The following links will help give you an idea

http://realhistoryww.com/
http://savethetruearabs..com/

I already know that as well about the original Semites. But the Arabs have always been present in Arabia. The original Israelites looked more Arab than white. But remember that the Romans dispersed the Jews to all parts of their empire, so of course many would intermarry with the Europeans.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:09pm On Mar 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

Say what you want, but the early man traces it origins to Eastern Africa, not Western Africa. Even my people's origin myth says we migrated from the East in either present day Sudan or Ethiopia.

Do you have any tangile evident for this claim? Or are you going to rely on B.S told by anthropologists?
Just like the B.S story about men being originally hunters and women gatheres, just for that "men are dominant" feeling.

While there's an actual tangible fact that shows that Ile-Ife was the cradle of humans, and Ekiti state later became human's place of  solace before the mass emigration out of Africa.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:10pm On Mar 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Do you have any tangile evident for this claim? Or are you going to rely on B.S told by anthropologists?
Just like the B.S story about men being originally hunters and women gatheres, just for that "men are dominant" feeling.

While there's an actual tangible fact that shows that Ile-Ife was the cradle of humans, and Ekiti state later became human's place of  solace before the mass emigration out of Africa.

NO!!!

Don't go down that route!  shocked

I know where you are trying to lead this discussion. I wont allow you go further. Full STOP!
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:13pm On Mar 19, 2011
Read this book, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality by Cheikh Anta Diop

I think you would enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/African-Origin-Civilization-Myth-Reality/dp/1556520727/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1/183-1686997-6089432
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 19, 2011
hmmm.

I suggest you ready a true anthropological journal, learn how claims about how humans became bipedal  and gendered roles were rubbished out by new evidence.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

Read this book, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality by Cheikh Anta Diop

I think you would enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/African-Origin-Civilization-Myth-Reality/dp/1556520727/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1/183-1686997-6089432

When was the book publish and when were the datas collected?

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:16pm On Mar 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

When was the book publish and when were the datas collected?

It was published in 1974. Can't say when the data was collected, because it has been a while since I have picked up the book.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:17pm On Mar 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

hmmm.

I suggest you ready a true anthropological journal, learn how claims about how humans became bipedal  and gendered roles were rubbished out by new evidence.

[img]http://palma.blog.is/users/55/palma/img/c_users_notandi_pictures_bugaga-karaul-dofiga_feminism_no_feminism.jpg[/img]
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by IG: 9:18pm On Mar 19, 2011
@Eze_Uche, you didn't even visit the links I gave you. I agree with you that the original human beings are from Africa. But migration of human beings is a continuous thing and doesn't have to be in one direction.

Ancient Arabs describe themselves as Black. Listen to what some of them said

Kinky Hair is the kind of hair mist Arabs have
Ibn Mandour

Shuraik El-Qadi said there are seven things which are odd. Amongst the seven things was "A fair skinned Arab".
He also said that
A Fair Skinned Arab is something inconcievable or unthinkable

However unlike you, I do not believe in evolution because you may be surprised to learn that it can not be proved scientifically. But you can do the reading at http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2011
Not a feminist. Dont have the time for that.
I just dont like what men have done; re-written history thru the eyes of their own perception. Historically, men were all scientist, so they had that power to write history as they please. One of my professors explained to me that some new data contradicted the roles of women portrayed by these sexist men.

Just like the perception that Indians/Non-European/non-European origin had smaller brain, therefore had less intelligence. The study was performed by European men, and they discriminate-ly chose the skull they measure. . . .
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

It was published in 1974. Can't say when the data was collected, because it has been a while since I have picked up the book.

New datas already came out after then
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by EzeUche2(m): 9:31pm On Mar 19, 2011
Good discussion people. I respect everyone's view, but I may not agree with you. Anyway, where shall I start?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:44pm On Mar 19, 2011
“An early example of such traditions of migration is given by the Sokoto scholar Muhammad Bello, according to whom the Yoruba were 'remnants of the Banu Kan'an, which is the tribe of Nimrud' who had been expelled from Iraq.” - The Oyo Empire: c.1600-c.1836 (1977) by Robin Law. Law's source for this is E.J. Arnett's translation of Rise of the Sokoto Fulani, p.16, which can be found on Thomas Hodgkin's Nigerian Perspectives, p.78

I should point out that the “Yoruba” referred to here are specifically the Oyo, who were known as the Yoruba at that time to others.

As for the meaning of the statement itself, my interpretation is:

Banu Kan'an = Brothers Canaanite = the Canaanites, who are related to or ancestral to the Phoenicians, so he might have been referring to the later remnants of the Phoenicians
Nimrud = Nimrod, the famous early Mesopotamian king, could possibly be related to or the ancestor of the Canaanites/Phoenicians
Iraq = Mesopotamia

But what Mesopotamian characteristics did Oyo have? Is there anything Mesopotamian about Oyo culture and religion? I don’t see anything related there.

For the direct quote:

Bello – The Origins of the Yoruba3

“The country of Yoruba is extensive and has streams and forest and rocks and hills. There are many curious and beautiful things in it. The ships of Christians come there. The people of Yoruba are descended from the Bani Kan'an and the kindred of Nimrud. Now the reason for their having settled in the west according to what we are told is that Ya'rub ibn Qahtan drove them out of 'Iraq to the westwards and they traveled between Misr4 and Habash5  until they reached Yoruba. It happened that they left a portion of their people in every country they passed. It is said that the Sudanese who live up on the hills are all kindred; so also the people of Yauri are their kindred. The people of Yauri resemble those of Nufe[Nupe] in appearance. In the land of Yoruba are found the birds green in colour which are called 'babgha'' in Arabic and which we call 'Aku'.1  It is a bird which talks and is beautiful.” - Muhammad Bello, Infaq al-maisur (1812), p. 16. taken from Nigerian Perspectives, 2nd ed. (1975) by Thomas Hodgkin.

Thomas Hodgkin's notes:

3. 'Yoruba' in this context refers specifically to Oyo, not (as in current usage) to the Yoruba-speaking peoples in general.
4. Egypt
5. Ethiopia
1. Parrots.

So this is a journey from Mesopotamia, through Egypt and east Africa all the way to Oyo, Nigeria?

Not all that plausible, really.  undecided

On an unrelated note, the book The Oyo Empire c.1600-c.1836: A West African Imperialism in the Era of the Atlantic Slave Trade by Robin Law is possibly one of the best books ever written on any single African state. It's extremely well researched, masterfully presented, very well-reasoned, balanced, objective, and just a damn good read, overall. It also corrects numerous errors and pieces of political propaganda found in Samuel Johnson's classic History of the Yorubas. A very interesting read on one of the most ambitious West African Empires. I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in African history. I'm not even Yoruba and I read the book and came away thoroughly impressed with the organization and ambition of the empire, and got a better understanding of how and why it ended.

[Edit: After rechecking my source, I see that the Muhammad Bello referenced above is in fact, the same as Sultan Bello. Sorry for the error.]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by AndreUweh(m): 11:27pm On Mar 19, 2011
@The poster, it's a pity you have been a nairalander for over 4 years yet you do not know that a cultural section exist.
Perhaps, the mods will transfer this thread of yours to the apropriate section.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by IG: 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@The poster, it's a pity you have been a nairalander for over 4 years yet you do not know that a cultural section exist.
Perhaps, the mods will transfer this thread of yours to the apropriate section.
That is why we have moderators, to correct such mistakes/ignorance. It's a pity you couldn't suggest that to the moderators but direct it at me. I am not a moderator. The mistake has been made and I have no power to correct it now.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by ezeagu(m): 12:16am On Mar 20, 2011
EzeUche_:

The original Israelites looked more Arab than white.

The original Israelites looked like mixed race people.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by IG: 12:51am On Mar 20, 2011
ezeagu:

The original Israelites looked like mixed race people.
If the Hebrews are what you mean by the original Israelites then they are not mixed raced or white but Blacks.

Another link about how the race of Jesus and the Hebrews was eventually changed to White.

http://www.realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/Jesus/Jesus.htm

please try and go through it. There are some quite interesting fact there.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by koruji(m): 2:14am On Mar 20, 2011
@PhysicsMHD
Thanks for these quotes. This makes clear that Bishop Ajayi's attribution of Yoruba origins to a migration from Egypt and being sons of Lamurudu (Nimrud) were not some isolated view of his time. Oral history seems to support it as well. The Bible's early history, including the story of Nimrod, is well known to have been based on earlier documents out of Mesopotamia (Iraq).

However, it is curious that you say: [size=14pt]Not all that plausible, really.  undecided[/size].

It seems to me that while oral (and all) history is distorted the general framework fits the emerging outlines of ancient Africa's history. Perhaps your statement is because you interpret the quote as describing a migration lasting perhaps a couple of decades. However, pieces of the quote (particularly that they left people everywhere they crossed and being related to the Sudanese) show he was talking about thousands of years of movement. Also, I looked up the name mentioned in the quote "Ya'rub ibn Qahtan" and it turns out this was not somebody from the time of Mohammed (around 700 AD), but was the son of Joktan according to Arab oral history (Qahtan) of Genesis 10:25 (around 3000 BCE) - the generation that was living during the Bible's story of Babel following the epic flood of Noah's time. Incidentally, Egyptian civilization began to flourish around 3000 BCE.

In this fuzzy pictures of ancient history are the grains of truth about a long history of civilization going back 5-6 thousand years. There is nothing in this story that contradicts human origins out of Ethiopia. It only suggests that among the waves of migration out of Africa some began to move in the opposite direction from the plains of Mesopotamia.

PhysicsMHD:

“An early example of such traditions of migration is given by the Sokoto scholar Muhammad Bello, according to whom the Yoruba were 'remnants of the Banu Kan'an, which is the tribe of Nimrud' who had been expelled from Iraq.” - The Oyo Empire: c.1600-c.1836 (1977) by Robin Law. Law's source for this is E.J. Arnett's Rise of the Sokoto Fulani, p.16 and Thomas Hodgkin's Nigerian Perspectives, p.78

I should point out that this Muhammad Bello is not the same as Muhammed Bello, son of Uthman dan Fodio and also that the “Yoruba” referred to here are specifically the Oyo, who were known as the Yoruba at that time to others. (Later in the 19th century, the other groups that spoke dialects of the same language as the Oyo became known by the same appellation as the Oyo, and were called Yorubas. However the (or maybe just one) original Yoruba name may have been “Olukumi” given the references to Lucumis or Ulkami in European accounts describing an area northwest of Benin that is sometimes held to be Oyo or be near Oyo.)

As for the meaning of the statement itself, my interpretation is:

Banu Kan'an = Brothers Canaanite = the Canaanites, who are related to or ancestral to the Phoenicians, so he might have been referring to the later remnants of the Phoenicians
Nimrud = Nimrod, the famous early Mesopotamian king, could possibly be related to or the ancestor of the Canaanites/Phoenicians
Iraq = Mesopotamia

But what Mesopotamian characteristics did Oyo have? Is there anything Semitic/Mesopotamian about Oyo culture and religion? I don’t see anything related there.

For the direct quote:

Bello – The Origins of the Yoruba3

“The country of Yoruba is extensive and has streams and forest and rocks and hills. There are many curious and beautiful things in it. The ships of Christians come there. The people of Yoruba are descended from the Bani Kan'an and the kindred of Nimrud. Now the reason for their having settled in the west according to what we are told is that Ya'rub ibn Qahtan drove them out of 'Iraq to the westwards and they traveled between Misr4 and Habash5  until they reached Yoruba. It happened that they left a portion of their people in every country they passed. It is said that the Sudanese who live up on the hills are all kindred; so also the people of Yauri are their kindred. The people of Yauri resemble those of Nufe[Nupe] in appearance. In the land of Yoruba are found the birds green in colour which are called 'babgha'' in Arabic and which we call 'Aku'.1  It is a bird which talks and is beautiful.” - Muhammad Bello, Infaq al-maisur (1929), p. 16. taken from Nigerian Perspectives, 2nd ed. (1975) by Thomas Hodgkin.

Thomas Hodgkin's notes:

3. 'Yoruba' in this context refers specifically to Oyo, not (as in current usage) to the Yoruba-speaking peoples in general.
4. Egypt
5. Ethiopia
1. Parrots.

So this is a journey from Mesopotamia, through Egypt and east Africa all the way to Oyo, Nigeria?

Not all that plausible, really.  undecided

On an unrelated note, the book The Oyo Empire c.1600-c.1836: A West African Imperialism in the Era of the Atlantic Slave Trade by Robin Law is possibly one of the best books ever written on any single African state. It's extremely well researched, masterfully presented, very well-reasoned, balanced, objective, and just a damn good read, overall. It also corrects numerous errors and pieces of political propaganda found in Samuel Johnson's classic History of the Yorubas. A very interesting read on the most ambitious West African Empire after Mali. I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in African history. I'm not even Yoruba and I read the book and came away thoroughly impressed with the organization and ambition of the empire, and got a better understanding of how and why it ended.

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Chyz2: 2:34am On Mar 20, 2011
I dey laugh grin
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Jenifa1: 8:01am On Mar 22, 2011
There is no such thing as Yorubas having an Arabic origin.
we just had a leader (oduduwa) who probably migrated from Arabia that's all. besides that, Yoruba are indigenous although there is some mixing with fulani and hausa and such as you go further up north.

even the Fulani are supposedly also indigenous to Africa.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by maclatunji: 10:18am On Mar 22, 2011
It is funny how time bleaks-out history. I have read some of the OP's links and they contain useful information. However, it is incorrect to say that Yoruba's descended from Mecca, as the popular myth says. If black people descended from that region at all it would have been far back from the time of Noah.

P.S. If you think the story of Noah is ridiculous, just think of present day Tsunamis; that should restrain you from making hasty comments.

Then again, consider that a race of animals consisting of different species were wiped-out at some point in time for whatever reasons- the dinosaurs.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by ekubear1: 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2011
Jenifa_:

Even the Fulani are supposedly also indigenous to Africa.

Interesting:

While some have speculated over the origin of Fulani people, current linguistic and genetic evidence suggests an indigenous West African origin among the Peul.[3] The vast majority of genetic lineages associated with them reflect those most commonly seen in other west Africans. Their language is also of west African origin, most closely related to that of the Wolof and Serer ethnic groups.[1]. Historical and archaeological records indicate that Peul-speakers have resided in western Africa since at least the 5th century A.D. as well. Interestingly, rock paintings in the Tassili n'Ajjer suggests the presence of proto-Fulani cultural traits in the region by at least the fourth millennium B.C. Scholars specializing in Fulani culture believe that some of the imagery depicts rituals that are still practiced by contemporary Fulani people.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_people

They don't look like Africans to me. . . they look kind of weird.  But I guess they legitimately natives of this continent.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by ezeagu(m): 8:19pm On Mar 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Interesting:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_people

They don't look like Africans to me. . . they look kind of weird.  But I guess they legitimately natives of this continent.

Please, show us what Africans look like.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Jenifa1: 5:20am On Mar 23, 2011

I'm guessing your idea of what Africans look like is the "bantu" look
Africa is very diverse.

I think many groups are extinct now but Khoi-San people are another well known non-bantu group located in southern Africa although bantu migrated there and the khoi population diminished after the bantu settlement. Nelson Mandela is a Khoi-San. They don't have the bantu look either and known for their peppercorn hair
[img]http://1.bp..com/_yI21Jp6wrLM/SowNt6bX5PI/AAAAAAAAALo/PsJUC33PeEI/s400/Hadzabe.jpg[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Obi Chukwuka Noah Akaeze Graduates From UK University (Photos) / Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.