Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas (47979 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by rhektor(m): 3:27pm On Jul 05, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
I bring two more word connects in Yoruba and English with precise concept in both.

Oyin - Honey
Arise (engage, activity) - Arise (alert)

Why so many matched words and meanings between Yoruba and English? Are these borrowed as well or are these coincidences? Why is "pelu" in Yoruba a cognate with "plus" in English? grin.

I need to ask Queen where her ancestors got these words from.

BabaRamota1980 how about these words?

Yorùbá : Ìmúnitì English : Immunity

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 4:09pm On Jul 05, 2018
:
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2018

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

What does this mean in Yoruba? angry
You are a quack linguist. This is no Yoruba word. This is English word Yorubanized.

What you post here is like saying ...
Asiko - Time
Seiko - Time instrument.

Thats quack linguist do that.
Too harsh bro. Easy does it. Using philology tools can also help decipher some of these transferred words through learned or migrants carrier of such words. Take for instance, Île is Island or Isle in French word list. While Ilé is land in Yoruba word list. I know that Ilè is house/home in Yoruba but Ilé is the comparison with French word.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 6:42pm On Jul 05, 2018
Olu317:
Too harsh bro. Easy does it. Using philology tools can also help decipher some of these transferred words through learned or migrants carrier of such words. Take for instance, Île is Island or Isle in French word list. While Ilé is land in Yoruba word list. I know that Ilè is house/home in Yoruba but Ilé is the comparison with French word.

Someone said somewhere that Yoruba is Europa. I think Tonyspike did at the beginning.

My head is dizzy from all the information and traces. I dont know how you guys are able to keep up and navigate through the maze. Too much! grin

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 9:21pm On Jul 05, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Someone said somewhere that Yoruba is Europa. I think Tonyspike did at the beginning.

My head is dizzy from all the information and traces. I dont know how you guys are able to keep up and navigate through the maze. Too much! grin
Lawani did said so ooooo. But what can we do ? Endurance and patience is the key to all challenges. Èlèdumarè will renew your strength.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 3:49am On Jul 06, 2018
Hey Olaochi and Rhektor,
I had too much drink last night. I just got up and couldnt believe my eyes at what i posted.

Please forgive me brothers. Thats not me at all. I take God beg una,no take offense. If you did please forgive. I go stay away from posting next time i get awoof heineken.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 7:38am On Jul 06, 2018
More Comparative Yoruba words with Ancient Semitic language

Hebrew Hhet= Outside
Yoruba Í(e)tá= Outside
Akkadian Ita = Outside/Open field

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by OlaoChi: 10:51am On Jul 06, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
Hey Olaochi and Rhektor,
I had too much drink last night. I just got up and couldnt believe my eyes at what i posted.

Please forgive me brothers. Thats not me at all. I take God beg una,no take offense. If you did please forgive. I go stay away from posting next time i get awoof heineken.

undecided

Why am I not surprised.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 12:14pm On Jul 06, 2018
OlaoChi:

undecided

Why am I not surprised.

grin grin shut up!

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2018
Olu317:

More Comparative Yoruba words with Ancient Semitic language

Hebrew Hhet= Outside

Yoruba Í(e)tá= Outside

Akkadian Ita = Outside/Open field

The naysayers will say this is coincidence. How can we have this much volume of cognate words located in the Meditteranean zone and are all coincidence.... I dont get it. Coincidence is a buzz word to distract us.

Keep bringing them brother. These are indicators for presence.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 4:39pm On Jul 06, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

The naysayers will say this is coincidence. How can we have this much volume of cognate words located in the Meditteranean zone and are all coincidence.... I dont get it. Coincidence is a buzz word to distract us.

These words aren't coincidental but evidence that showed many Yorubas ancestors were migrants from Mediterranean.Let the naysayers continue in their delusion. This fact is glaring. And I shall continue to bring such as long as Èri mí rán mi lówó. And the purpose of this research is to bring the wholeworld to her knees.

Do you know ILU exist in Egypt's history?

Do you know Yebu(Jebu) exist in Egypt's history?

Do you know Onias land exist Egypt's history?

Do you know the twins associated with Yorubas were also associated with ancient Hebrews?

I wil not go deep into the above mentioned but will focus on the shared words.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 4:41pm On Jul 06, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Thanks. I appreciate
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 07, 2018
Olu317:

Greeting to you Hati13, I am sure you are following this thread carefully because, the knowledge you have acquired and acquiring here can also shape your mindset about Yoruba's migration history and NOT A THEORY. I intend to inform you and others who aren't conversant with Yoruba word lists and opposition to the Hebrew —Afroasia connection of Yorubas as false to disprove this Hebrew word that has survived thousands of years between ancient Yoruba and ancient Hebrew languages, which is known as Yoruba's TÓR/TÓRÁ against Hebrew's TORAH.

Are you shocked again ? grin

Preamble

Conton says; “The Yoruba people of Nigeria are believed by many modern historians to be descended from a people who were living on the banks of the Nile ,2000 years ago and who were in close contact with Egyptians and Jew"

A scholar known as Aderibigbe, says; The general trends on Yoruba traditions, is that of a possible origin from ‘The East' . And that migration was due to ‘War'.

Einar Haugen says; " the analysis of ecology requires not that one describe the social and psychological situation of each language , but also the effect of this situation of on the language itself. As a starter,it will be necessary to indicate the language from which influence presently flows,as reflected in the importation and substitution now being created in each. This is usually obvious enough, since current creations are often the subject of discussion and even controversy.

It must involve recognition of the existence of at least two structural layers i.e at a certain period in the life of each language influential must have learned certain languages and have enriched their own language by modeling their expression on that certain teachers languages .We are familiar with certain specific situation of linguistics symbiosis , in which language system are stretched almost out of recognition".

In Einar Haugen's analysis, clearly two factors can mean the reasons for language similarities.

1. That specific situation of linguistic symboisis can make language system be stretched out of recognition.

2. And that all language are influenced by one another through being learned at certain period from the teachers language, which would have enriched the borrowers language by modeling their expression on that teacher language.( Ecology of language pg 63-64,1972).

The above statement is quite truthful with the evidence of both Yoruba language having similarities with both Egyptians and Hebrews–Semitc words(Afroasia).

WHAT IS TORAH ?

The word " Torah " in Hebrew is derived from
the root ירה , which in the hif'il conjugation means "to guide/teach". How true can this be ?

A hebraic definition of Torah is "a set of Instructions, from a father to his children, violation of these instructions are disciplined in order to foster obedience and train his children".

In Yoruba : Tó(r)/ Tórá means/is Teach

It is a word used by Yorubas to specifically mean to teach a child/children so that he/she/ they; won't be indiscipline but well trained.

This is because, it is a mandatory word of instruction by Yoruba parents or guardians etc to the younger ones and once violations to this instruction happens,such child/children is/are punished

Example1 ; Tó(r) omo mi= teach my child
Example3; Tó(r) omo ré/é
Example 2; Tórá mi; Teach myself/instruct myself

Do you / they think Yorubas in Southwest - North central of western part of Nigeria( yoruba enclave ) who lived and still lives in an area that is approximately 2000+ Miles with to Egypt and 4000+ miles from middle east borrowed these semblance and same meaning ?

IMPOSSIBLE!

Cheers
Olu317, whether it’s true or not you are consistent in your claim about the similarities between Yoruba, Semitic and ancient Egyptian languages. But you said Yoruba were around the Nile but previously you said they were around Arabia. Why is it?

If what you say is true then why isn’t Yoruba classified under Afroasiatic? Don’t say it’s an agenda against Black because majority Afroasiatic languages are in Africa. So why is it?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by BabaRamota1980: 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2018
Hati13:

Olu317, whether it’s true it not you consistent in your claim about the similarities between Yoruba, Semitic and ancient Egyptian languages. But now you said Yoruba were around the Nile but previously you said they were around Arabia. Why is it?

If what you say is true then why isn’t Yoruba classified under Afroasiatic? Don’t say it’s an agenda against Black because majority Afroasiatic languages are in Africa. So why is it?

Up till recently the country now known as Sudan was Egypt and was not known as Sudan. There was nothing known as Nigeria. So geographical boundaries and political domains change with time. The Yoruba migrant is a conglomerate. The Europeans that migrated to establish new order in America came from England, from Netherlands, Spain, France...their origins exist as distinct domains but in their American settlement they are known as a united race and seen as one.

Language classification, like metaphysical said, is a convenience of location rather than the root of the sooken tongue. I think he was correct in saying if Hausa speak same tongue as they do today but their location is found in the forest they will not escape being classed as Niger-Congo.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 12:42pm On Jul 07, 2018
Hati13:

Olu317, whether it’s true it not you consistent in your claim about the similarities between Yoruba, Semitic and ancient Egyptian languages. But now you said Yoruba were around the Nile but previously you said they were around Arabia. Why is it?

I didn't muddled it up but because you didn't see where in the past I had mentioned migration. First, I hold the notion that Yoruba lived in Mesopotamia when war broke out ( This is a long story but I had to skip some information because of the lengthiness of it but quickly the acient Yoruba history acknowledged three devastating war in Oru(Or/Ur)) and migration took them back to Africa ,which was through the entrance to Egypt and settlement in Nile fertile land and enclave There is an account that Awujalé, a clan of Ijebus/Jebus( most resected king in Ijebu axis even if it is contested) Yoruba that they arrived before the other Yoruba group. But noone exactly knew where the location of this contested place ,where Awujalé is reffering but I pinned it to Soudan– egypt Empire . This is because, Ijebu/Jebu/Yebu existed in the historical account of Egypt . In fact, this account This is account was not in Nigeria.

Secondly, don't blame the people that hurriedly classified the African languages because ,they were ignorant of many things until, Joseph Greenberg acknowledged erroneous classification done on the languages. Mind you ,so many people in West Africa claimed migration.Although, I am only focused on Yoruba's claim.
Have you not seen the words I posted ? Even the critics will claim indigenous development of the language but can such be true? If it look like a duck, walk like a duck,act like a duck, then it is a duck.

Kindly follow my next post on language similarities with Afroasia–semitic origin of Yoruba words.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 2:05pm On Jul 07, 2018
Hati13,
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 07, 2018
BabaRamota1980,

No you are wrong. Language grouping is based on similarities not location. And Sudan for the most part in the past wasn’t part of Egypt.

Olu317,

Is there a genetic connection for the migrations claim?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2018
Hati13:
BabaRamota1980,

No you are wrong. Language grouping is based on similarities not location. And Sudan for the most part in the past wasn’t part of Egypt.

Olu317,

Olu317,

Obviously, you didn't read the information posted earlier or you skipped through reading. I didnt at anytime mentioned,‘LOGIC', but comaprison with the related words. And the classification were badly done because apart from Yoruba language and her dialects, all others aren't intelligible. Even Igala,which is less than 65% intelligible couldn't had any relationship with Yorubas more or less than five - six hundred years ago,which was due to migration,trade,marriages etc. I said this because, Itsekiri, a Yoruba group, is a bit isolated and this group is in the deep and extreme part of the Western location in present day Delta state ( South-South Region ),Southern Nigeria, still speak over 70% central Yoruba and 80%+ of Ekiti Yoruba dialects. So, classification was a kangaroo methodology.

2. You ask for genetic link?
The philological tools being used, aren't they Afro-asia/ Semitic- Yoruba's? The original Hebrew language disappeared from the Mesopotamia/Semitic environment after the captivity of Judah and absolute destruction of her city. Thereafter ,the original Hebrew language seized to exist and the little remembered became a liturgy.

Google Yoruba's location in Nigeria and you will see that, Yoruba's location is from Western part through to the bank of Atlantic in Nigeria.

Question to you?

Despite the fact that you will meet other ethnicity before meeting Yorubas,how did these peculiar strange Afroasiatic- Semitic words exist only in yorubas and doesn't exist in all West African lexicons ?

Call the Yorubas critic that claim otherwise to come deny the daily use of these words I have posted in Yoruba land,which their foundation are unknown. Mind you, I will still post some of them.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 1:57am On Jul 10, 2018
Olu317:
Olu317,

Obviously, you didn't read the information posted earlier or you skipped through reading. I didnt at anytime mentioned,‘LOGIC', but comaprison with the related words. And the classification were badly done because apart from Yoruba language and her dialects, all others aren't intelligible. Even Igala,which is less than 65% intelligible couldn't had any relationship with Yorubas more or less than five - six hundred years ago,which was due to migration,trade,marriages etc. I said this because, Itsekiri, a Yoruba group, is a bit isolated and this group is in the deep and extreme part of the Western location in present day Delta state ( South-South Region ),Southern Nigeria, still speak over 70% central Yoruba and 80%+ of Ekiti Yoruba dialects. So, classification was a kangaroo methodology.

2. You ask for genetic link?
The philological tools being used, aren't they Afro-asia/ Semitic- Yoruba's? The original Hebrew language disappeared from the Mesopotamia/Semitic environment after the captivity of Judah and absolute destruction of her city. Thereafter ,the original Hebrew language seized to exist and the little remembered became a liturgy.

Google Yoruba's location in Nigeria and you will see that, Yoruba's location is from Western part through to the bank of Atlantic in Nigeria.

Question to you?

Despite the fact that you will meet other ethnicity before meeting Yorubas,how did these peculiar strange Afroasiatic- Semitic words exist only in yorubas and doesn't exist in all West African lexicons ?

Call the Yorubas critic that claim otherwise to come deny the daily use of these words I have posted in Yoruba land,which their foundation are unknown. Mind you, I will still post some of them.
Onl317, I think we need to end this discussion because you know a lot about things related to Yoruba while I don’t and I’m basing my claim primarily based on Wiki and Wiki is know to provide many outdated informations. Your claim could be right or not (you also need to be open minded to the latter since many scholars say Yoruba is Niger-Congo). Within Yoruba themselves as when seen here there is different believe about Yoruba origin and their language nature. As you said Yoruba is among the most studied group in Africa but further research needs to be conducted to bring a common reliable belief on their history and culture.

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 6:40am On Jul 10, 2018
Hati13:

Onl317, I think we need to end this discussion because you know a lot about things related to Yoruba while I don’t and I’m basing my claim primarily based on Wiki and Wiki is know to provide many outdated informations. Your claim could be right or not (you also need to be open minded to the latter since many scholars say Yoruba is Niger-Congo). Within Yoruba themselves as when seen here there is different believe about Yoruba origin and their language nature. As you said Yoruba is among the most studied group in Africa but further research needs to be conducted to bring a common reliable belief on their history and culture.
I think I get your opinion even if you dont understand Yoruba. The basis for this juxtaposes is all about the claims of Yoruba language being classified as Niger- Congo or related to Niger- Congo which doesnt seem to be so because of some words that ought be closely related in this region but non of these words are found in West African's ethnicity lexicons . This is where bias came in on the lumping of or unnecessary grouping of language based on REGION,which ought to be based on language affinity. Yoruba archaic/ ancient words, which are still being in use in Yoruba lexicons are alien to all of these West Africa ethnic groups,unless borrowed from Afro-asia/Semitic or of Arabic origins but indigenously to Yorubas . Furthermore, I will post three more shared words to silence critics whose views are based on sentiments because these words are not in any West Africa ethnicity lexicons.

I strongly believe to continuously perfecting the school of thought that I belong,so that the ability to decipher aren't farfetch at anytime.

So, I say,

‘Knowledge is power achieved,
Wisdom is correct use of power,
Understanding is the subconsciousness to subdue power out of intoxication',

because all these definitely takes someone to greater height .

Cheers.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2018
Akl the ethnic groups that shared this thunderer's identifiable name were non West Africans,except Yorubas. Infact, limited African indigenous kingdoms have any name related to ‘Ra',Ra'am,Àrá etc in their lexicons as being seen in Yoruba lexicn
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2018
Hati13:

I am not sure a review of the classification will necessarily advance the quest on the origin because classifications generally are subjective and they change when new understandings are gained. This has been the tradition in all scopes of study and social structuring. This language classificiation will not defy that rule, when a time comes and better understanding opens it for review Im sure it will be done. The issue of language classification is a curveball that the Yoruba is Aborihgine crew throw out to escape having to discuss Yoruba uniqueness on arts, rites, culture, divinity, sounds and concepts...and so on. The discussion on Yoruba origin does not need to hinge on it (Niger-Congo classification), but if it does, then Sound and Concepts is a basic recipe of language and utility....and what Olu has produced should be adopted for the local languages in the Yoruba region....such as Nupe, Igbo, Igala, Idoma, Ewe and so on to disqualify the uniqueness we attribute to Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 10:12pm On Jul 11, 2018
cheesy
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 9:48am On Jul 13, 2018
Ram as a Symbolism of authority.
The ram meant a symbol of authority in many ancient kingdoms. Ram featured prominently in many ancient societies, the ram has been a long held symbol of: determination, action, initiative, and leadership. The
ram is also a symbol of Aries, which is an astral symbol of rulership.

Hebrew:Ra`ad (Re`eh),ayil
Origin: h[r a
Transliterated :Ra`ah
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
Verb : ‘raw-aw'
Modern word: shaver
sheep: seh/kebes/keseb
kar :young lamb in pasture
Suckling lamb: ṭeleh
Ewe: raḥel,
Cattle,sheep,goats : ẓon
Aramaic: "emer"

English: ram , rom , ramme,ramm (“ram”)
Proto-Germanic : rammaz (“ram”),rammaz
Saterland Frisian : Rom Dutch: ram (“a male sheep”)
German : Ramm, Ramme (“ram”).
Danish : ram (“sharp; acrid; rank”),
Swedish ram (“strong; perfect”)
Faroese
ramur (“strong; competent”),
Icelandic : rammur

Meaning:sheep,cows,etc. (b) associated with Shepherd, ruler,teacher,authority,etc

Yoruba: éran
Meaning: Ram,bovid ruminant, even-toed ungulate,Camel , hippopotamus, llama , peccary, ruminant,swine, vicuña etc

Ram is used for sacrifice during the entry of every crowned Ooni to ILE IFE ,the sacred city of Yorubas. This is part of his coronation,which pave way for his authority,long reign and entry to the palace
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 9:45am On Aug 03, 2018
grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 5:46pm On Sep 09, 2018
Thank Goodness more Yoruba are waking up to fight this cancer that is making a mess of yoruba history. at a time i thought nobody cared for yoruba history anymore or just too unconcerned to engage this church and mosque agents sent to destroy yoruba traditions. Christianity and Islam need to be stopped, they have caused enough harm

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Obi Chukwuka Noah Akaeze Graduates From UK University (Photos) / Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.