Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,560 members, 7,801,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas (47891 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 1:59am On Nov 17, 2013
9jacrip:

Most logical and reasonable argument put forward thus far (and ever on the Yoruba and Arab/Mecca connection)
The key thing to note is - migration from Mecca was in relation to OYO which was the only place/people referred as Yoruba originally.
The above clearly throws the Mecca/Oduduwa/Ile-Ife overboard.

Thank you PhysicsQED - A very obvious and in-your-face point that has been evasive to me. I wonder why I have never connected the dots to arrive at this beautiful proposition.

Shut up. Oyo didn't migrate from Mecca, oyo migrated from Ile-Ife
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 17, 2013
macof:

Shut up. Oyo didn't migrate from Mecca, oyo migrated from Ile-Ife

You need not attack me.

In simpler terms: it is a general belief, though a wrong one, that Yoruba progenitors during the earliest times migrated from Mecca. And since this theory of Mecca emigration was/is touted by the Northerners who had contact with Oyo (not any known contact with Ife), then it means the Mecca emigrant they are/were talking about founded Oyo, based on PhysicsQED's logical post. And since we all know Oyo was an offshoot of Ile-Ife, this means the Mecca hypothesis is wrong!

Oyo people were the people Sultan of Sokoto described in his tales and Oyo people were the only ones originally reffered as Yaru.ba/Yoruba. The tale of Mecca founders refers to Oyo, and since there's little to no contact recorded between Sokoto/Northerners and Ile-Ife, then it is only right to stick the Mecca thesis with Oyo which then proves the theory is not only wrong but meaningless. Yet, some mischeivous folks keep touting, spreading and even attaching it to Ife and not Oyo. Do you get my drift now?

I was only trying to disprove the Hamitic Hypothesis and PhysicsQED's post connected the dots for me.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 11:21am On Nov 17, 2013
9jacrip:

You need not attack me.

In simpler terms: it is a general belief, though a wrong one, that Yoruba progenitors during the earliest times migrated from Mecca. And since this theory of Mecca emigration was/is touted by the Northerners who had contact with Oyo (not any known contact with Ife), then it means the Mecca emigrant they are/were talking about founded Oyo, based on PhysicsQED's logical post. And since we all know Oyo was an offshoot of Ile-Ife, this means the Mecca hypothesis is wrong!

Oyo people were the people Sultan of Sokoto described in his tales and Oyo people were the only ones originally reffered as Yoruba/Yoruba. The tale of Mecca founders refers to Oyo, and since there's little to no contact recorded between Sokoto/Northerners and Ile-Ife, then it is only right to stick the Mecca thesis with Oyo which then proves the theory is not only wrong but meaningless. Yet, some mischeivous folks keep touting, spreading and even attaching it to Ife and not Oyo. Do you get my drift now?

I was only trying to disprove the Hamitic Hypothesis and PhysicsQED's post connected the dots for me.

Am sorry, I thought you are one of these brainwashed fools linking Yoruba history to Mecca.

1. They say Oduduwa came from Mecca
2. They say Oyo came from Mecca
3. They say Ife came from Mecca

Muslims pls stop trying to distort history to justify ur muslimness, Yoruba people have nothing to do with Mecca.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2013
macof:

Am sorry, I thought you are one of these brainwashed fools linking Yoruba history to Mecca.

1. They say Oduduwa came from Mecca
2. They say Oyo came from Mecca
3. They say Ife came from Mecca

Muslims pls stop trying to distort history to justify ur muslimness, Yoruba people have nothing to do with Mecca.

Right.
I've always said it is another subtle way of proselytizing people.
If you agree to have migrated from the hub of a particular religion, it is only right to want to affiliate or have affinity for whatever religion emanates from there.

It is a shame how people, in a bid to spread religion have distorted history.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 2:39am On Nov 19, 2013
There are two camps on Oduduwa founding of Ife.

1. The Creation myth
2. The Migration myth.

The creation myth says he descended from a chain from heaven to a primordial water on which he spread sand and placed a cock to spread this sand and this was how Ife was created.

The migration myth says he was of AfroAsian descent and travelled through other lands before ending in the savannah and settling in a place they named Ile Ife. This myth points to similarities in tongue, arts, rites, priesthood, customs and even facial features and tribal marks between Yoruba and other ethnicities in those landmarks through which their migration journeyed.

You are either in the creation camp or the migration camp.

Now, its my turn to probe.

I would like those who dismiss the migration myth to share with us how Oduduwa descended and where the chain he descended from is kept.

What was the chain anchored to in the suspension of his descent onto the waters?

He was the first mortal in Ife and had 16 children before dying, where did he get a woman to produce these children?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 9:49am On Nov 19, 2013
MetaPhysical: There are two camps on Oduduwa founding of Ife.

1. The Creation myth
2. The Migration myth.

The creation myth says he descended from a chain from heaven to a primordial water on which he spread sand and placed a cock to spread this sand and this was how Ife was created.

The migration myth says he was of AfroAsian descent and travelled through other lands before ending in the savannah and settling in a place they named Ile Ife. This myth points to similarities in tongue, arts, rites, priesthood, customs and even facial features and tribal marks between Yoruba and other ethnicities in those landmarks through which their migration journeyed.

I would like those who dismiss the migration myth to share with us how Oduduwa descended and where the chain he descended from is kept.

What was the chain anchored to in the suspension of his descent onto the waters?

He was the first mortal in Ife and had 16 children before dying, where did he get a woman to produce these children?

All u posted here just makes me laugh

The creation myth is not literal, everything about it is very symbolic and used to represent something else, it takes a lot of study to decipher and crack open the whole thing. One thing to note is that the Orisha are forces of nature and not human figures. So when u hear "Oduduwa formed the dry lands of earth" it doesn't mean Oduduwa the king but Oduduwa an unseen force of nature that represents darkness and land, The dark energy of the universe like the big bang theory states

And the migration story isn't a myth it's real fact- Oduduwa came from the east of Ile-Ife(I always think of Iwo Eleru to be his birthplace) he met hundreds/thousands of people already settled there and was made the first king due to his intelligence and knowledge, it was believed that he was the man of prophecy and probably possessed by the certain spirits
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 19, 2013
MetaPhysical: There are two camps on Oduduwa founding of Ife.

1. The Creation myth
2. The Migration myth.

[s]The migration myth says he was of AfroAsian descent and travelled through other lands before ending in the savannah and settling in a place they named Ile Ife. This myth points to similarities in tongue, arts, rites, priesthood, customs and even facial features and tribal marks between Yoruba and other ethnicities in those landmarks through which their migration journeyed. [/s]

The migration myth was never part of Ife or Yoruba oral history. We need not whip it up against the creation myth just to make the mecca migration appear plausible. It is not and it will never be.
No thanks to Sultan of Sokoto, Clapperton, Samuel Johnson who invented it and helped spread it.
The false migration myth is why some have looked towards Ora Hills of Ile-Ife to have been where Oduduwa came from while some say Benin all in the bid to disconnect the Mecca cord.

The 2 recent theories are very open and are awaiting further research to either become disproved and solidified. Let us bother our minds with that and live Mecca alone, we have nothing in common or shared culture/civilization - not even in art in the least. If at all Oduduwa migrated to Ife, he didn't come from Mecca or AfroAsian location we do not have any similarities in the least and no AfroAsian peoples/Mecca can corroborate this claim - Arabs are record keepers, an event of such magnitude would have been written somewhere no matter how minute - even in passing.

The creation myth gained ground to put Ife at the pinnacle of Yoruba, to cement the place of Oduduwa and Obatala in Yoruba culture/history etc. Quite a number of civilizations/peoples have their own creation myth (and they are not bothered nor struggling to glue to another location for validation) which often happens when a people cannot trace where they originally came from or they are autochthonous.

Busy day ahead, gotta go!
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 10:09am On Nov 19, 2013
macof:

All u posted here just makes me laugh

The creation myth is not literal, everything about it is very symbolic and used to represent something else, it takes a lot of study to decipher and crack open the whole thing. One thing to note is that the Orisha are forces of nature and not human figures. So when u hear "Oduduwa formed the dry lands of earth" it doesn't mean Oduduwa the king but Oduduwa an unseen force of nature that represents darkness and land

And the migration story isn't a myth it's real fact- Oduduwa came from the east of Ile-Ife(I always think of Iwo Eleru to be his birthplace) he met hundreds/thousands of people already settled there and was made the first king due to his intelligence and knowledge, it was believed that he was the man of prophecy and probably possessed by the certain spirits

Give us a translation of the creation myth. Demistify it and give us a dumb down version of the crypted code to support and validate Oduduwa's origin.

On the migration side, If Iwo Eleru was Oduduwa's birth place, then we should find that Olokun deity as well the Araba priesthood both had origin in Iwo Eleru and migrated with him to Ife. Wherever Oduduwa's origin is placed both Olokun and Araba share in the footprint. So can you confirm that Olokun deity and Araba both originated from Iwo Eleru?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 10:15am On Nov 19, 2013
9jacrip:

[size=16pt]The migration myth was never part of Ife or Yoruba oral history[/size], we need not whip this up just to make the mecca migration appear plausible. It is not and it will never be.
No thanks to Sultan of Sokoto, Clapperton, Samuel Johnson who invented it and helped spread it.
The false migration myth is why some have looked towards Ora Hills of Ile-Ife to have been where Oduduwa came from while some say Benin all in the bid to disconnect the Mecca cord.

The 2 recent theories are very open and are awaiting further research to either become disproved and solidified. Let us bother our minds with that and live Mecca alone, we have nothing in common or shared culture/civilization - not even in art in the least. If at all Oduduwa migrated to Ife, he didn't come from Mecca or AfroAsian location we do not have any similarities in the least and no AfroAsian peoples/Mecca can corroborate this claim - Arabs are record keepers, an event of such magnitude would have been written somewhere no matter how minute - even in passing.

The creation myth gained ground to put Ife at the pinnacle of Yoruba, to cement the place of Oduduwa and Obatala in Yoruba culture/history etc. Quite a number of civilizations/peoples have their own creation myth (and they are not bothered nor struggling to glue to another location for validation) which often happens when a people cannot trace where they originally came from or they are autochthonous.

Please, if you are going to have decent discussion on this topic be matured about it and put your bias to the side. I urge that you expand your reading base and be open to the different dimensions so you can learn.

There is a book out there on the hermeneutics of Yorubaland, it will help.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 19, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Please, if you are going to have decent discussion on this topic be matured about it and put your bias to the side. I urge that you expand your reading base and be open to the different dimensions so you can learn.

There is a book out there on the hermeneutics of Yorubaland, it will help.

I do not see what is immature about what I wrote, you might want to point it out please.

And also I'm very open minded and there's no bias. Plus my reading base is wide, so thank you for the advice.

Give me the name of the author of the book and I will look in iTunes or Amazon.

Finally, migration from AfroAsia was never part of Yoruba history, it began with Sultan of Sokoto, Clapperton and gained prominence amongst Yoruba thanks to Johnson.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Give us a translation of the creation myth. Demistify it and give us a dumb down version of the crypted code to support and validate Oduduwa's origin.

On the migration side, If Iwo Eleru was Oduduwa's birth place, then we should find that Olokun deity as well the Araba priesthood both had origin in Iwo Eleru and migrated with him to Ife. Wherever Oduduwa's origin is placed both Olokun and Araba share in the footprint. So can you confirm that Olokun deity and Araba both originated from Iwo Eleru?

Even I can't interpret it correctly, our ancestors were smart in coding things.

The creation has little to do with Oduduwa(the king), it's just because it's the Same name that's why people are confused. Humans don't fall from the sky. Oduduwa that came from a chain to create dry land refers to the dark energy which the big bang theory talks about

Olokun deity is the spirit/force of the ocean not a human

I honestly don't know anything about Araba, could u share wat u know about this?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 1:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
macof:

Even I can't interpret it correctly, our ancestors were smart in coding things.

The creation has little to do with Oduduwa(the king), it's just because it's the Same name that's why people are confused. Humans don't fall from the sky

Olokun deity is the spirit/force of the ocean not a human

I honestly don't know anything about Araba, could u share wat u know about this?

I would be crazy to put the message here!!

I didnt just wake and tossed a coin to decide heads/tail which side to believe.

I think this will probably be the tenth time im pointing to myths of ife as the single authority that ties everything together. Read myths of Ife.

In the creation myth Olokun is the primary deity of creation.

There is no okun in Ife.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by tpia5: 4:23pm On Nov 19, 2013
Chain = slave trade or slavery

Heaven : orun, not sure where thats supposed to be, probably somewhere in the far east or a "spiritual " centre.

Sand: people

Primordial waters: sea/ ocean

Rooster: leader/ time keeper.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by tpia5: 4:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
9jacrip:

Right.
I've always said it is another subtle way of proselytizing people.
If you agree to have migrated from the hub of a particular religion, it is only right to want to affiliate or have affinity for whatever religion emanates from there.

It is a shame how people, in a bid to spread religion have distorted history.

I dont see you arguing with the ijebu/sudanic origin myth though, so why is it so unpalatable for you to consider other myths from elsewhere?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 5:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
tpia@:
Chain = slave trade or slavery

Heaven : orun, not sure where thats supposed to be, probably somewhere in the far east or a "spiritual " centre.

Sand: people

Primordial waters: sea/ ocyean

Rooster: leader/ time keeper.

Total rubbish

The creation story has nothing to do with slavery or middle east. And there were no people until the earth was complete

Obatala= light spectrum that triggered the big bang

Oduduwa= dark energy

Chain= path

Sand= atoms carried by the dark energy

Rooster= expansion agent
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 19, 2013
macof:

Total rubbish

The creation story has nothing to do with slavery or middle east. And there were no people until the earth was complete
who created man,i thought human evolved from oda organisms.does it means that God didnt create man,or the evolution isn't true.??
Hope you understand my question
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
tpia@:

I dont see you arguing with the ijebu/sudanic origin myth though, so why is it so unpalatable for you to consider other myths from elsewhere?

Can the Ijebu/Sudan link be proven? I'm not talking about giving words rendition to sound like or draw the same meanings from words - if the linguists of many ages have not done that nor seen any reason for that, I don't see why we should start doing something unnecessary.
Now, does anything from Sudan corroborate the claim?
Any similarities in political system, language, art, dressing, body arts to mention a few.
If none of these are present even in the littlest form then it is total crap.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by tpia5: 11:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
^ my point was you dont respond to any such threads with the same vehemence you're using now, why would you accept the ijebu account of migration from sudan, but want to fight the same possibility when you see it elsewhere?
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 6:57am On Nov 20, 2013
9jacrip:

Can the Ijebu/Sudan link be proven? I'm not talking about giving words rendition to sound like or draw the same meanings from words - if the linguists of many ages have not done that nor seen any reason for that, I don't see why we should start doing something unnecessary.
Now, does anything from Sudan corroborate the claim?
Any similarities in political system, language, art, dressing, body arts to mention a few.
If none of these are present even in the littlest form then it is total crap.

In other words, Awujale does not know what he is talking about. However people like Robin Law are authorities and more credible than Yoruba Kings.

If you are shown these similarities you still wouldn't believe. Lol.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 20, 2013
tpia@:
^ my point was you dont respond to any such threads with the same vehemence you're using now, why would you accept the ijebu account of migration from sudan, but want to fight the same possibility when you see it elsewhere?

True but it is up to the Ijebu folks on here to disprove or affirm the Sudan/Ijebu link. Though, I'm of Pan-Yoruba mind-state, I wouldn't dabble into the history of a people I'm not well versed in. Between, I'll go with the story of the founder of Ijebu migrating from Ife.

My question is, why can't we look around us - our immediate environment for answers rather than throw ropes far off to find answers?

Between I'm from Ife and I've used my discipline to dig around for answers, our origin has nothing to do with Islam/Mecca/M.East. Let us look within and around us.

MetaPhysical:

In other words, Awujale does not know what he is talking about. However people like Robin Law are authorities and more credible than Yoruba Kings.

If you are shown these similarities you still wouldn't believe. Lol.

Bro, you don't seem to understand me.
I'm not crowning Robin Law and the foreigners to be authorities neither am I agreeing to the school of Mecca/AfroAsia link, No.
Show me the similarities sir, I'm not saying rendition of words to sound alike (because this is all you've done so far on different threads) - I would accept that from a linguist/etymologist. Give me some type of art, dressing, written record, music, dance step, kingship system etc type of similarities and I'll bow to your theory. This is all I'm asking and it shouldn't be so hard.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 11:18am On Nov 20, 2013
Ijebu are from Nubia they've been saying this for centuries na

But they have been Yorubaized
badagri's origin is not Yoruba as well
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 20, 2013
macof: Ijebu are from Nubia they've been saying this for centuries na

But they have been Yorubaized
badagri's origin is not Yoruba as well
please can u reply my question above
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by TonySpike: 7:55pm On Nov 20, 2013
Can anyone here tell us how proto-semitic prefixes (articles) such as AL, EL and OL became widespread in the Yoruba lexicon? Did it occur by interaction with the people up north over centuries? Certainly, these prefixes were not conceived or indigenous to the Yoruba forerunners but was imported from elsewhere in Africa.

AL means 'of the' and can be seen used in Arab names like Al-Mustapha, Al-Bashir e.t.c. In Yoruba, we find names such as Al-ade, Al-agba, Al-aba, Al-awo, Al-amu e.t.c.

EL and OLU appears both have the same meaning, may be specifically referring to a supreme deity. For example, ELEDUMARE and OLODUMARE are one and the same. This article has been in use since the ancient times as far back as over 3000 yrs ago.

My personal opinion is that for these articles to have widespread use in Yorubaland, it must been in use for at least 1500 yrs ago! I need opinions...
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 8:21pm On Nov 20, 2013
9jacrip:

True but it is up to the Ijebu folks on here to disprove or affirm the Sudan/Ijebu link. Though, I'm of Pan-Yoruba mind-state, I wouldn't dabble into the history of a people I'm not well versed in. Between, I'll go with the story of the founder of Ijebu migrating from Ife.

My question is, why can't we look around us - our immediate environment for answers rather than throw ropes far off to find answers?

Between I'm from Ife and I've used my discipline to dig around for answers, our origin has nothing to do with Islam/Mecca/M.East. Let us look within and around us.

Bro, you don't seem to understand me.
I'm not crowning Robin Law and the foreigners to be authorities neither am I agreeing to the school of Mecca/AfroAsia link, No.
Show me the similarities sir, I'm not saying rendition of words to sound alike (because this is all you've done so far on different threads) - I would accept that from a linguist/etymologist. Give me some type of art, dressing, written record, music, dance step, kingship system etc type of similarities and I'll bow to your theory. This is all I'm asking and it shouldn't be so hard.

If you advocate that Yoruba beginning is indigenous then bring us these truths using indigenous markers to tag the different characters of language, arts, rites, priesthood, deities, and so on sourced directly from the immediate environment. This means each and all of the aspects you use or examine cannot have any foreign attributes to them. If you cannot isolate an indigenous character from a foreign attribute then you will need to account for its foreign root.

C'mon, its your turn to give us your side of the truths.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by MetaPhysical: 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2013
Tony Spike: Can anyone here tell us how proto-semitic prefixes (articles) such as AL, EL and OL became widespread in the Yoruba lexicon? Did it occur by interaction with the people up north over centuries? Certainly, these prefixes were not conceived or indigenous to the Yoruba forerunners but was imported from elsewhere in Africa.

AL means 'of the' and can be seen used in Arab names like Al-Mustapha, Al-Bashir e.t.c. In Yoruba, we find names such as Al-ade, Al-agba, Al-aba, Al-awo, Al-amu e.t.c.

EL and OLU appears both have the same meaning, may be specifically referring to a supreme deity. For example, ELEDUMARE and OLODUMARE are one and the same. This article has been in use since the ancient times as far back as over 3000 yrs ago.

My personal opinion is that for these articles to have widespread use in Yorubaland, it must been in use for at least 1500 yrs ago! I need opinions...

Tony,

Given the extent to which this question has been probed here since 2010 or 2011 or thereabout, I am not sure, given the many contributions so beautifully and convincingly produced with words, sounds, arts, pictures and sketches, that I have any doubt left in me or remorse on the claim that Yoruba is a Biblical people and their root is firmly in AfroAsia.

I will however watch and see if any of the advocates of the indigenous theory can answer your questions and tie the loose knots using local bearings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 10:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
Arcsniper:
who created man,i thought human evolved from oda organisms.does it means that God didnt create man,or the evolution isn't true.??
Hope you understand my question

Humans evolved from other organisms-our "ape-like" ancestors u have lived for 6million years and we would definitely evolve again. Evolution and expansion is infinite

In Yoruba spirituality, Eledua instructs Obatala to use clay to create life, Obatala forms prototypes and imperfect humans before he gets modern humans though he still creates deformed humans
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
macof:

Humans evolved from other organisms-our "ape-like" ancestors u have lived for 6million years and we would definitely evolve again. Evolution and expansion is infinite

In Yoruba spirituality, Eledua instructs Obatala to use clay to create life, Obatala forms prototypes and imperfect humans before he gets modern humans though he still creates deformed humans

thanks
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by itstpia1: 6:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
IG:

If you are still wondering why the Yorubas are black and the Arabs light skinned,

true
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 8:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
9jacrip:

The false migration myth is why some have
looked towards Ora Hills of Ile-Ife to have
been where Oduduwa came from while some
say Benin all in the bid to disconnect the
Mecca cord.

You know my dad once told me oduduwa first appeared in Ora hills where he gained some support to become Olufe/Olofin
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by tpia6: 11:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by tpiadotcom: 7:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
ekubear1:

Interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_people

They don't look like Africans to me. . . they look kind of weird.  But I guess they legitimately natives of this continent.

lolz.

yes they are.

Capoids also don't look like typical black africans, but they are one of the continent's oldest inhabitants.

Blacks may actually have been the immigrants, in antiquity.
Re: The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas by Olu317(m): 8:58am On Jun 14, 2018
MetaPhysical:

There are records which universally acknowledge that the clans of Arabia were at one point racially black. I understand that you might not be aware of this fact because typically we do not go looking to read Arab history, we gravitate towards the study and literatures of Western society and their history.

The fact blacks once occupied Arabian peninsula is not academically disputed, neither is history silent on it.

There once existed a "Yaraba" tribe in the history of Oman and were the ruling caste in that land. Modern Oman is a Sultanate and there was a time in its history when it worshipped idols and gods. Even the monarchs in the UAE have members of their family with negro features. There is a port on the border between Syria and Iraq called "rab al-Yoruba". Syria is an ancient land and is the remnant or residue of a much expanse territory called Assyria, one of their oldest surviving clan is the "Alawiye" or "Alawiy"; compare this with Yoruba's "Alawiye". "Bakare"; "Gbadamosi"; "Aremo";..these are all traditional Yoruba names but compare their Arabic equivalents - Abubakar; Bhadmas; Amir.

In fact, -m-r- is the root for the words "Mariwo" (Yoruba); "Aremo" (Yoruba); "Amir" (Arabic); "Emir" (Hausa).

Mariwo is the palm fronds used in Yoruba rites of coronation.
Aremo in Yoruba is Prince.
Amir in Arabic is Prince
Emir in Hausa is Monarch.

Yoruba did not borrow these words. Fulani borrowed the term Emir, it is not Hausa, it came from Arabs.

Arab literatures and history is not popular here and people who grew up and trained to view anything non-Western as substandard and with suspicion will not readily have the state of mind to just accept what Im saying as a possibility and a fact, and to those people I will recommend that knowledge is universal, not limited to Western ideologies - expand your reading base!

I only made that book reference in response to your probe on Asara. The chronology of Lamurudu/Oduduwa/Mohammed/Islam in Mecca is a different issue.

I do not refer people to books and sources but I help quest by giving hints and I leave people to navigate their own way through books but I make myself available to answer questions or clarify where needed. If I dont know I will say so. So I apologize if the reference I made raised more confusion or gave contradictions.

For myself the only authority I hold on to on Yoruba history and roots is what comes out of Ooni's palace and Alaafin's palace; their narrations point us outside of modern Yorubaland and into a distant and foreign land. This is why I regard "Myths of Ife" as a concrete proof on Yoruba civilization and where it originated from.

Does this mean I do not read and appreciate other writers? No, not at all. I enjoy Robin Law, Robert Smith, Dierk Lange, even that thief, Leo Frobenius..but I just simply do not see them as authority on the footprints of Yoruba.

Please, let's not go here.. Opa Oranmiyan is a stone material and was never a living organism. Carbondating is reserved for organic materials. Anyone that carbondated Opa Oranmiyan is a fraud. The staff did not predate Oduduwa or Oranmiyan.

If there were people existing on that land before the arrival of Yorubas then the name of that land was not Ile Ife.

Lol. My book..? The only book I will own on this subject of Yoruba roots is Myths of Ife. There are views and opinions and interests all of which is published as books. Its important to read them and understand other peoples opinions and interests and appreciate their effort. Nobody is wrong but everybody cannot be authority..there can only be one authority, for me Ooni is that authority on roots - he is backed up by Alaafin's supporting claim.

In fact, go and read Obasanjo's biography where he talks about his father, grandfather and great grandfather and the history down the ages. Obasanjo is Owu by ethnicity, an original Oyo clan. War drove them down south to Abeokuta - the city of refuge! He referred to his father as Papa, his grandfather as Baba Alarobo and great-grandfather as Baba Elesin, which means his great-grandfather may have kept stabled horses. Historically significant! Was Obasanjo the son of royal courtiers or Yoruba army cavalry? The story down his family line is a root that started in Mecca. Obasanjo is Christian and an accomplished leader, his view and account on Yoruba history cannot be dismissed.

Ancient people and events were recorded using natural elements.

The year of the sun eclipse..
The day of the raining brimstones..
The season of the flood..

Modern dating took these events and using a formula (proven) established a protocol for chronological entries in human experience.

None of us were there, not even the people that invented calendar dating. Only God knows!

However, the people that invented calendar dating are humans like us. They employed "deductive reasoning" to arrive at concise facts. Why cant we do same? Is there any rule or law that forbids me or you from using deductive reasoning to extract facts? Is there any rule that forbids us from raising theories?

If an African American comes to you and say look pal, I come from your family, how would you go about elininating that possibility? Will you go into libraries looking for books and chronicles that record his ancestry? No. You will want to observe the human factors..the family traditions and rites in his past, dna, pictures of ancestors to see features and commonalities. The more matches occur the higher the credibility of his assertions. What appeared at first to be a theory may end up becoming a breakthrough revelation.

Outside of books, are there other aspects of Yoruba custons, arts, rites that connect it with indigenous nehro races?

We have Olokun, Yemoja, Sango, Obatala, Isise, Edumare, Ifa Corpus, ...outside of proto Yoruba groups, all these institutions do not find match anywhere in subsaharan Africa. If you expand the terrain, you start finding matches for them in foreign lands outside subsahara and concentrated in a particular area.

What does this mean? Do we need writers trained in Western ideologies to open our brain and help us figure out what is obvious? No, we must make our own truth from what is innate in our own culture and customs.

It will be redundant to say any more, i think I saidmore than i need to already.

God Bless bro.
Incredibly breathtaking, instructive and a master piece of information from you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerian Names: How Funny Is Yours? / Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Obi Chukwuka Noah Akaeze Graduates From UK University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.