Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,718 members, 7,805,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 (1443 Views)

People Engaging In Ethnic Discrimination And Xenophobia Are Not Christians / Buhari: South-West People Would Have Been Trekking, If I Hadn’t Intervened / Enugu West People Buy Pdp Nomination Form For Ekweremadu,present It To Him(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Alba3: 8:20pm On Nov 30, 2020
Between colonial era and 90s, South West People were actively involved in trading of all kinds of stuff. Many markets in every part of the region were dominated by Yoruba people but it's unfortunate that these have been reducing or abandoned for government Jobs that can hardly take care of the family's needs. Mocking foreigners now occupied many of these markets..

The governments in the region are doing nothing about this; only Fayose was aware of this then.

I visited some local government areas in some other regions, and you can easily count the number of staff. You will hardly find male workers in these LGAs but in the west people believe it's their right to be employed by government and the whole government offices and agencies are crowded with people without even table and chairs. I wonder how these governments are going to continue to pay these work force.

Our recurrent expenditure is far higher than what we always budget for capital projects. The governments must do everything to encourage SME; if not, the restive youths would never be controlled in the near future. Every person in the region should be concerned. The leaders, the politicians, the rich, etc. cannot continue to be aloof to this.

After the Lebanese, the Indians, the Syrians, etc had left the core of our trading businesses and the deaths of our older traders, Yoruba youths must take over trading activities, including building materials, vehicle spare parts, phamarceutical, etc. We can't afford to be subjugated and become subservient to others who will continue to mock you no matter how accommodating you are. After retirement, government jobs can't help in creating family business. Only few can establish successful businesses after retirement.

We must do everything to help our communities and reducel crimes. As a youth, learn a trade today if there isn't much potential in medicine, Engineering, Computer science, and others.

SME is the only way we can survive as people; take charge now without wasting time again.
If we have 12 million people engaging in SME now, let's double that by the end of 2021.

P.S: Some people are very angry with this thread already. It's normal; truth is bitter. There are lots of 'cheastbeating' on other threads. I don't care.

I've been on the necks of some of the rulers to promote, encourage and support SME in my region.. I know very well, we're in market driven economy...but are we taking advantage of this? There should be low interest credit facilities.

Our leaders are doing little now but it'll get to a point they will no longer have a choice but to create platforms and environment for SME development.

6 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by techmo(m): 8:29pm On Nov 30, 2020
cool

Some people are just funny with very stupid assumptions

Ogun

Oyo

Ondo

Lagos

Ekiti

Kwara

Osun

Goto markets all over there and see 90% Yoruba's as traders.... I am in Ibadan, I have stayed in Lagos , Dierah Dubai, Peckham London and I tell you Yoruba traders are everywhere without making noise or chestbeating like nuisance

Even most Civil Servants, teachers are shop owners and trade one thing or the other, full house wives own provision stores, oloshos sell weavon and creme, nurse owns chemist and pharmacist shop, banker selling bags and perfumes

25 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Bkayyy: 8:53pm On Nov 30, 2020
Liar!
Dear reasonable readers, ignore this nonsense. Yorubas are good traders and don't need to dirty themselves in 2 by 2 shops

12 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by LeoThaGreat(m): 8:58pm On Nov 30, 2020
The truth is people born within 1950's - 1990's in Yorubaland were inculcated to believe that 9 - 5 is the way to go. Especially as the % of those working 9 - 5 then live a seemingly more comfortable life than their 10 - 10 counterparts.
But since the economic downturn, coupled with a population burst that has over populated higher institutions with hopes of getting non-existent jobs, these fella born in the 1990's - 2000's are now doing 9 - 5 with side hustles mostly, some female graduates are now full-time traders.
Everyone follows the trend when it comes to surviving as human beings. the pre-Buhari/Idiagbon era was favourable to traders so Yòrùbás followed that trend. The aftermath made people start seeking a guaranteed monthly payment (salary).
Now that the economically visionless Buhari is running Nigeria again, Yòrùbás are working 9 - 5 & once the side hustle picks up, they resign.

MY POINT OF VIEW IS FROM THAT OF A LAGOS BOY THOUGH

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by googlepikins: 9:00pm On Nov 30, 2020
Yorubas follow Tinubu around in all political gatherings. That's lucrative my Friend , ₦500 per appearance.

All you need to do is just sit down and look

12 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by flokii: 9:04pm On Nov 30, 2020
Yorubas own trading.. forget the lies some people peddle on the internet.

The outsiders are the ones spoiling our markets in SW with sub standard and fake goods, reason people now lose trust in traders which in turn affects trading and profitability.

9 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by capitalzero: 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2020
LeoThaGreat:
The truth is people born within 1950's - 1990's in Yorubaland were inculcated to believe that 9 - 5 is the way to go. Especially as the % of those working 9 - 5 then live a seemingly more comfortable life than their 10 - 10 counterparts.
But since the economic downturn, coupled with a population burst that has over populated higher institutions with hopes of getting non-existent jobs, these fella born in the 1990's - 2000's are now doing 9 - 5 with side hustles mostly, some female graduates are now full-time traders.
Everyone follows the trend when it comes to surviving as human beings. the pre-Buhari/Idiagbon era was favourable to traders so Yòrùbás followed that trend. The aftermath made people start seeking a guaranteed monthly payment (salary).
Now that the economically visionless Buhari is running Nigeria again, Yòrùbás are working 9 - 5 & once the side hustle picks up, they resign.

MY POINT OF VIEW IS FROM THAT OF A LAGOS BOY THOUGH

You have said it all.

1 Like

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by BastardWike: 9:38pm On Nov 30, 2020
Lol, trading or business is for smart people and not for those that will waste both profit and capital on owambe grin grin

Igbos are really giving some people nightmares and they end up seeing Igbo giants in their dreams.

Dumb thread, last time I checked, Igbos did not stop anyone from trading or doing business, please come and join us if you feel you have what it takes and save us all these sob stories.

Last time, it was a gathering of grown ass men crying to Tinubu to save them from almighty Igbos, now this grin grin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by unshakablejihad: 9:55pm On Nov 30, 2020
BastardWike:
Lol, trading or business is for smart people and not for those that will waste both profit and capital on owambe grin grin

Igbos are really giving some people nightmares and they end up seeing Igbo giants in their dreams.

Dumb thread, last time I checked, Igbos did not stop anyone from trading or doing business, please come and join us if you feel you have what it takes and save us all these sob stories.

Last time, it was a gathering of grown ass men crying to Tinubu to save them from almighty Igbos, now this grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin chai

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Bkayyy: 9:57pm On Nov 30, 2020
These threads are unnecessarily.
Yorubas have enough sophisticated businessmen and don't need you to identify their problems

2 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Obamaofusa: 10:46pm On Nov 30, 2020
lol
We are talking about Igbos in trade when we talk about phones,spare parts,okrika,leather shoes,some building materials,fake cd/dvd,toiletries etc..the Yorubas are more successful than the Igbos because Yorubas control and have the...

1. Most number of massive indigenous industries in Nigeria.

2.Control seafood.

3 Control Iron and steel.

4.Control the plastic trade.

5.Control the most of petrol stations.

6.Control rubber foot wears.

7.Control the tipper and truck trade.

8 Control building blocks trade.Planks, woods,plywoods etc

9.Control the cement trade.

10.Control the vehicle trade.

11.Control the indigenous and cultural clothings trade.

12.Control the beauty and cosmetics trade.

13.Control the information, communication and technology trade.

14.Control the real estate trades both at home and abroad.

15.Control the music trade and have the richest and best directors/producers in cinematography etc.

Eateries,Malls,Franchises, Lawyers,Professors
ETC,ETC..

Coupled with all of these,Yorubas have the highest number of dollar,pound sterling and naira billionaires both at home and abroad.

Yorubas are the only ones from Nigeria who went abroad with nothing but have been able to build businesses worth billions of dollars abroad and still counting..

No other Nigerian abroad can stand the business acumen of the Yorubas without monopoly or government help (lol...according to gullible Igbos...all businesses which are worthwhile need govt e.g policies,enabling environment, licenses etc.) who have gone through thick and thin to become the only Nigerians to have built real multi billion dollar businesses in Europe.

Igbos are petty business people who have only succeeded in Lagos due to the help of Yorubas,their benefactors and who have always been more successful than the Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by awgumayor: 11:23pm On Nov 30, 2020
BastardWike:

Trading or business is not really for SOPHISTICATED people, but for SMART people. Sophisticated people live on pay slip while smart people live on profit.

2 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by ThEGodFaThEr101(m): 11:24pm On Nov 30, 2020
Tinubu a.k.a the Bullion Van connoisseur, and America's most wanted drug lord after Pablo Escobar is the primary cause why Yorubas exited trade and Business.

Knowing that Yorubas have a penchant for free money (Tuale Sir), He redefined the art of touting and agberoing and made it lucrative thus revenues generated from Agberoism and Touting is the second contributor to South Western States IGR after Financial Services.

Based on a research carried out by NBS 2020, 85% of Yoruba youths are engaged in one form of street touting or the other and it is estimated that by 2023 the numbers may increase.

In South West, street touts are looked up to e.g Mc Oluomo, Koko Zaria, Money Speaking, late Hamburger etc. A situation where these touts are living large and have harems of prostitutes at their beck and call little wonder no Yoruba man wants to go into trade or business. They see Agberoism as an opportunity to make fast and free money.

Lagos State for some years have become a Mecca or some sort for many Youths from states like Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo.

8 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 01, 2020
o
techmo:
cool

Some people are just funny with very stupid assumptions

Ogun

Oyo

Ondo

Lagos

Ekiti

Kwara

Osun

Goto markets all over there and see 90% Yoruba's as traders.... I am in Ibadan, I have stayed in Lagos , Dierah Dubai, Peckham London and I tell you Yoruba traders are everywhere without making noise or chestbeating like nuisance

Even most Civil Servants, teachers are shop owners and trade one thing or the other, full house wives own provision stores, oloshos sell weavon and creme, nurse owns chemist and pharmacist shop, banker selling bags and perfumes

He's talking about men, dummy

All those guys who 'work' as thugs and as party & union agents for political leaders, including someone like you who is obviously underemployed as an APC electronic-dog

3 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Ikinternational: 12:10am On Dec 01, 2020
This board is full of emotionally immature men.
See replies...smh

So damn easily manipulated

"We" is such a popular pronoun on this site. I wonder if people here can spell "I" sef
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Whiteshield: 2:12am On Dec 01, 2020
googlepikins:
Yorubas follow Tinubu around in all political gatherings. That's lucrative my Friend , ₦500 per appearance

That's far better than Igbos in Abia who receive kerosene as pension.
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by ThEGodFaThEr101(m): 2:32am On Dec 01, 2020
Whiteshield:

That's far better than Igbos in Abia who receive kerosene as pension.
Kerosene is far better than Yorubas in Southwest who queue every morning at Tinubu's Bourdilion gate to collect their monthly share of bottle of groundnut oil as dividends of being an Òmò Odua while they keep chanting "Eko Oni Baje".

5 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by ThEGodFaThEr101(m): 2:52am On Dec 01, 2020
flokii:

The outsiders are the ones spoiling our markets in SW with sub standard and fake goods, reason people now lose trust in traders which in turn affects trading and profitability.
You're absolutely correct Yorubas own trading.

4 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Alba3: 10:50am On Dec 01, 2020
I know we dominate, but we must do more and leave less than 10% in every sector to outsiders.

We're beginning the campaign in every state of the SW; We will not wait any longer. We are not going to chase anyone physically nor imposing fees like Ghana but we must look after our population first.

Nigeria is just a geographical expression. Each region must look after itself until we're able to go back to 1963 constitution. We can't be having population explosions in some other regions and their next thoughts is relocating to SW to cause all sorts of trouble.

2 Likes

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Alba3: 12:01pm On Dec 01, 2020
flokii:

Not only fake products and drugs, they've been able to bastardize some businesses. Let me share an experience: two persons selling rice besides each other when a bag was still 20k, someone, an outsider, was found of removing a painter of rice from each bag and selling 19.5k. but the other retailer, because of conscience, couldn't do such to her customers; however, she lost lots of customers to his fellow heartless fraudulent retailer. A lot of people have been sent away from market through these devilish means; any complain would be term envy or incompetent. Government standard agencies are doing nothing.

Some of us are silently taking over through online marketing though.
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by juman(m): 12:19pm On Dec 01, 2020
I love your thread.
You raise very sensible point.

In 80s I knew many semi literate persons that were successful traders. From their trading they built many houses for themselves.

I think Yoruba women are more into trading and business than men.

But today economy is bad. Couple with extreme bad leadership.

Currently yorubas have very bad leaders.

1 Like

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Amumaigwe: 12:28pm On Dec 01, 2020
Alba3:
Between colonial era and 90s, South West People were actively involved in trading of all kinds of stuff. Many markets in every part of the region were dominated by Yoruba people but it's unfortunate that these have been reducing or abandoned for government Jobs that can hardly take care of the family's needs. Mocking foreigners now occupied many of these markets..

The governments in the region are doing nothing about this; only Fayose was aware of this then.

I visited some local government areas in some other regions, and you can easily count the number of staff. You will hardly find male workers in these LGAs but in the west people believe it's their right to be employed by government and the whole government offices and agencies are crowded with people without even table and chairs. I wonder how these governments are going to continue to pay these work force.

Our recurrent expenditure is far higher than what we always budget for capital projects. The governments must do everything to encourage SME; if not, the restive youths would never be controlled in the near future. Every person in the region should be concerned. The leaders, the politicians, the rich, etc. cannot continue to be aloof to this.

After the Lebanese, the Indians, the Syrians, etc had left the core of our trading businesses and the deaths of our older traders, Yoruba youths must take over trading activities, including building materials, vehicle spare parts, phamarceutical, etc. We can't afford to be subjugated and become subservient to others who will continue to mock you no matter how accommodating you are. After retirement, government jobs can't help in creating family business. Only few can establish successful businesses after retirement.

We must do everything to help our communities and reducel crimes. As a youth, learn a trade today if there isn't much potential in medicine, Engineering, Computer science, and others.

SME is the only way we can survive as people; take charge now without wasting time again.

Take over ko, take rover ni. You think trading is government enterprise that you can manipulate through obnoxious & discriminatory policies?
Come take over na. If wishes were horses, Alayes and Agberos will ride. 2x2 shop fall on you.
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Tunde835(m): 12:54pm On Dec 01, 2020
ThEGodFaThEr101:
Tinubu a.k.a the Bullion Van connoisseur, and America's most wanted drug lord after Pablo Escobar is the primary cause why Yorubas exited trade and Business.

Knowing that Yorubas have a penchant for free money (Tuale Sir), He redefined the art of touting and agberoing and made it lucrative thus revenues generated from Agberoism and Touting is the second contributor to South Western States IGR after Financial Services.

Based on a research carried out by NBS 2020, 85% of Yoruba youths are engaged in one form of street touting or the other and it is estimated that by 2023 the numbers may increase.

In South West, street touts are looked up to e.g Mc Oluomo, Koko Zaria, Money Speaking, late Hamburger etc. A situation where these touts are living large and have harems of prostitutes at their beck and call littlewonder no Yoruba man wants to go
U know lagos is also part of yorubaland. Yorubas are d original settlers, my grandpa has been here before 1960
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Alba3: 1:25pm On Dec 01, 2020
juman:
I love your thread.
You raise very sensible point.

In 80s I knew many semi literate persons that were successful traders. From their trading they built many houses for themselves.

I think Yoruba women are more into trading and business than men.

But today economy is bad. Couple with extreme bad leadership.

Currently yorubas have very bad leaders.

That's just it...

I only want us to start planning towards 2021, both the youths and the governments. We must fight crimes with SME in our region. Governments and NGOs must provide low interest credit facilities to support this; their support is very crucial. Hundreds of thousands of our youths should be able to start something if they couldn't find jobs after graduation.

See, the purchasing power is very low in Nigeria and this will only charge if we develop SME not through government employment. Once our purchasing power increases, virtually everyone who wants to trade in something will be able to do that in a physical shops or online. Our orientation must change towards government employment and SME.

GREAT RESPECT to our women! They're awesome when it comes to SME; more power to their elbows...
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by Edudevine82: 2:19pm On Dec 01, 2020
Obamaofusa:
lol
We are talking about Igbos in trade when we talk about phones,spare parts,okrika,leather shoes,some building materials,fake cd/dvd,toiletries etc..the Yorubas are more successful than the Igbos because Yorubas control and have the...

1. Most number of massive indigenous industries in Nigeria.

2.Control seafood.

3 Control Iron and steel.

4.Control the plastic trade.

5.Control the most of petrol stations.

6.Control rubber foot wears.

7.Control the tipper and truck trade.

8 Control building blocks trade.Planks, woods,plywoods etc

9.Control the cement trade.

10.Control the vehicle trade.

11.Control the indigenous and cultural clothings trade.

12.Control the beauty and cosmetics trade.

13.Control the information, communication and technology trade.

14.Control the real estate trades both at home and abroad.

15.Control the music trade and have the richest and best directors/producers in cinematography etc.

Eateries,Malls,Franchises, Lawyers,Professors
ETC,ETC..

Coupled with all of these,Yorubas have the highest number of dollar,pound sterling and naira billionaires both at home and abroad.

Yorubas are the only ones from Nigeria who went abroad with nothing but have been able to build businesses worth billions of dollars abroad and still counting..

No other Nigerian abroad can stand the business acumen of the Yorubas without monopoly or government help (lol...according to gullible Igbos...all businesses which are worthwhile need govt e.g policies,enabling environment, licenses etc.) who have gone through thick and thin to become the only Nigerians to have built real multi billion dollar businesses in Europe.

Igbos are petty business people who have only succeeded in Lagos due to the help of Yorubas,their benefactors and who have always been more successful than the Igbos.

That is the problem, you keep on counting what Yoruba have and control. The question is how many do u have and control? How many?
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by OfficialAPCNig: 2:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
Yorubas are consoling themselves.

In the evening, most of them will still go to an Igbo man shop to buy consumables.

An Igboman will use N50 even N10 to sell his goods and then rely on the large turnover to make enough money while a Yoruba person will be selling the same product for as high as N100.

The only reason a bag of sachet water is expensive in Lagos compared to other regions is because Igbo people never remember them.

The day Igbo will rush into sachet water production, we be the day will crash the price.

Check around you, it is always difficult for yoruba owned shops to thrive around Igbo shops.

Have yorubas even wondered why Igbos love concentrating their shops within the same locality and still thrive?
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by 7lives: 3:03pm On Dec 01, 2020
OfficialAPCNig:
Yorubas are consoling themselves.

In the evening, most of them will still go to an Igbo man shop to buy consumables.

An Igboman will use N50 even N10 to sell his goods and then rely on the large turnover to make enough money while a Yoruba person will be selling the same product for as high as N100.

The only reason a bag of sachet water is expensive in Lagos compared to other regions is because Igbo people never remember them.

The day Igbo will rush into sachet water production, we be the day will crash the price.

Check around you, it is always difficult for yoruba owned shops to thrive around Igbo shops.

Have yorubas even wondered why Igbos love concentrating their shops within the same locality and still thrive?

@ bolded, they prosper because of what they do at midnight.
All those useless spare parts dealers are the ones stealing auto parts in my hood.
Especially toyota vehicle brain box, I know because I'm a victim.

1 Like

Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by LukasPodolski: 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2020
white collar job always trump blue collar in every sane society..

what do I know sef?
Re: South West People Engaging in SME Should Double in Number in 2021 by LukasPodolski: 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2020
white collar job always trump blue collar in every sane society..

what do I know sef?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Need To Protest This NIN / Warning To Yorubas: Once Again If You Support Evil, It'll Come Back To Haunt You / 20 Million People:Lagos Should Beg Tinubu To Stop Collecting 10% Of State Taxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.