Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,577 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation (15132 Views)

Ortom Asks FG To Account For $1bn Security Fund Jointly Contributed By States / Ortom Asks Buhari To Resign, Hand Over Power To Osinbajo / Nnamdi Kanu's Arrest: Put Same Zeal In Arrest Of Killer Herdsmen ― Ortom Asks FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Raychee(f): 6:22am On Dec 01, 2020
Yet you kill the ones working on their farms accusing them of working without "clearance". When you finish killing all of them you would open the border. Nonsense angry .
In the meantime let's keep eating the thrashy stone rice that we all know you and your family aren't eating. It's only a matter of time before a sizeable amount of the population needs to remove their appendicitis.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by oluwasegun007(m): 6:26am On Dec 01, 2020
Benue that cannot meet demand of the state alone...

Santo still dey work ooo...

If they were doing fine shouldn't the price of a bag of rice be 10k thereabout.

Lubbish.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by fastlane84: 6:27am On Dec 01, 2020
Roon9:
Question is why is the local one still so pricy and sand filled undecided like a Beach

cost of production and lack of adequate machinery
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by lexy2014: 6:32am On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:
He will definitely not... trillions of naira has been invested into it and we've made tremendous gain and success.

Rip to the 43 rice farmers that was slaughtered by boko haram

What are d tremendous gain and success made?

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by lexy2014: 6:33am On Dec 01, 2020
fastlane84:

cost of production and lack of adequate machinery

Then why d hype all this while?

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by lexy2014: 6:34am On Dec 01, 2020
oluwasegun007:
Benue that cannot meet demand of the state alone...

Santo still dey work ooo...

If they were doing fine shouldn't the price of a bag of rice be 10k thereabout.

Lubbish.

It's possible that d guy has a farm and he is trying to protect his investment
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by geewean(m): 6:39am On Dec 01, 2020
Vixlot:

https://punchng.com/dont-reverse-ban-on-rice-importation-ortom-begs-buhari/
. This one he has started to talk this way detection is loading

All those who lost their life for his sake it's a pity

No politician is worth ur death Kos when it's time to compromise they will

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Brushstrokes20: 6:43am On Dec 01, 2020
Self-serving Lunatic!

Only a red revolt can salvage the doomed shithole!

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Jonasbadoo2(f): 6:46am On Dec 01, 2020
amerengues:
Banning importation of rice into the country is one of the best decisions made by this government even though they have failed us woefully.

However, a seemingly rational and needed decision such as the ban has made life miserable to a large extent. You don’t ban importation without massively following it up with implementation of policies that helps local production.

Rice is still expensive because of the cost of production and some opportunists likewise other produce.

If only Government is sincere with these policies, then we should have started reaping the benefits of border closure by now.

1) Provide free or very low cost inputs eg seeds, improved varieties, free lease of machines.

2) Subsidize processing and production machineries. I approached the bank sometimes ago for forex on Agro processing machineries to aid local production but was grossly disappointed

3) Make grassroots friendly agricultural policies. Not ones that are feasible online but unattainable to those not connected.

4) For those who managed to fund themselves to start up something, what will be their fate after borrowing to start the project for produce hitherto imported.

5) Border closure isn’t enough, logistics and transportation plays a huge role in cost of production.

6) Farmers to end users connection should be promoted so that farmers can earn premium income for their sweats.

I can keep naming it but border closure without adequate plans has subjected us to unprecedented and untold hardship.

God help us.
What are you saying best decision? How will it be when we were better off before the decision to ban rice importation ,isn't the whole purpose of this to increase local input and at the same time reduce costs ... So was the purpose achieved? I don't know why Nigerians love suffering and smiling too much
Rice is over 40k and you're still applauding that incompetent Buffon SMH

5 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Xisnin(m): 7:01am On Dec 01, 2020
Some people will always benefit from changes in government policy. The question now is whether impoverishing millions of Nigeria is worth a few thousand farmers' income.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by slowice(m): 7:02am On Dec 01, 2020
He is just happy that he is cashing out.... Typical of Nigerians; as long as he is making lots of cash, the rest can go to hell. If the policy was well planned, by now the price of rice should ve crashed.... That was what they told us. Rice moved from 8k to about 30k, with everything that has happened this year, the federal government should find a way to ease the sufferings of Nigerians even if it means opening the border for now.

No be only farmers go chop.... Others too re citizens and deserve good things. Local rice shouldn't sell for as high as 20k and above. Demand is sure greater than supply and the farmers re taking advantage of situation to make excess profit.
Obviously, our rice production output isnt enough to meet demand so government should find a way to bridge the supply gap so that prices will fall a bit else it ll keep going up

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Skmoda360(m): 7:03am On Dec 01, 2020
Eleribu ni ortom Yi Sha.....
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Skmoda360(m): 7:06am On Dec 01, 2020
BigDawsNet:
Nigerian should start producing most important human use products and food themselves....

Especially foods...

You don't hav to make cloths, bags & assemble cars in the country.. . and import yam, garri, rice and even drinking water, dentiscalp.
Keep saying what government won't implement.....
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by ProfAmaben(m): 7:07am On Dec 01, 2020
Open the border. We have evil heartless and wicked farmers in Nigeria. Look at how expensive rice has become compared to when we were importing.
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by oluwasegun007(m): 7:07am On Dec 01, 2020
lexy2014:

It's possible that d guy has a farm and he is trying to protect his investment

Well, it's a possibility...

This people cannot be trusted.
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Aladdin1(m): 7:12am On Dec 01, 2020
God will judge dem bad leaders for making nigerians suffer and eat stone rice.
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by od501: 7:18am On Dec 01, 2020
Mayng01:
If the Ortonomous man’s brain is checked, I believe it is filled with poop. Nonsense and ingredients
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by wman(m): 7:18am On Dec 01, 2020
Lol. 200 million Nigerians should suffer because of 5000 farmers?

Lmao.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by sambo1993: 7:21am On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:
He will definitely not... trillions of naira has been invested into it and we've made tremendous gain and success.

Rip to the 43 rice farmers that was slaughtered by boko haram
BECAUSE WE CAN PURCHASE A 50KG BAG OF RICE AT 2K HERE IN MAIDUGURI
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Osanoghodua1: 7:30am On Dec 01, 2020
Ortom is a stupid governor. People should all die because they want to make money? Some middle men increase the price by over x5 and are happy for people to suffer, how come now that we are the largest rice producer in Africa as claimed by FG and same time the price is the highest? I know how many families I support financially. People are dying and this man is vomiting rubbish.
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by deewhydoski(m): 7:51am On Dec 01, 2020
What's d essence, we are still buying it at a very high cost
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by amerengues(m): 7:55am On Dec 01, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:
What are you saying best decision? How will it be when we were better off before the decision to ban rice importation ,isn't the whole purpose of this to increase local input and at the same time reduce costs ... So was the purpose achieved? I don't know why Nigerians love suffering and smiling too much

I hope this meets you well. Thanks for your comment.

I don’t think you read what I wrote. No applaud! When it was made, I considered it a good move unfortunately, like i opined in my post, it wasn’t complemented with right policies hence the effect. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by uptimum123(m): 8:02am On Dec 01, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:

Oga are you buying your rice from Pluto...stop exaggerating

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Jonasbadoo2(f): 8:06am On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:

Oga are you buying your rice from Pluto...stop exaggerating
I meant foreign rice ,unless you love your local stone filled rice na

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Drone95(m): 8:11am On Dec 01, 2020
Unfortunately the PMB you loved is dead!
Okoroawusa:
I Love PMB
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by 123Lopert: 8:17am On Dec 01, 2020
God help nigeria
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by KoleDgreat2020(m): 8:19am On Dec 01, 2020
ortom is mad
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Nanaborga(m): 8:23am On Dec 01, 2020
If truly foreign rice has been ban from entering the country , how come I still see abundant of foreign rice every time I visit the market , in fact since they locked the border I haven’t eaten the local rice , I eat the imported foreign rice every damn time , the government should keep deceiving themselves
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by favor914: 8:30am On Dec 01, 2020
Simplyleo:
Even when the slaughter of over 100 rice farmers is still fresh in our memory?

Ipob only want to hear negative news?
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by favor914: 8:31am On Dec 01, 2020
Nanaborga:
If truly foreign rice has been ban from entering the country , how come I still see abundant of foreign rice every time I visit the market , in fact since they locked the border I haven’t eaten the local rice , I eat the imported foreign rice every damn time , the government should keep deceiving themselves
How do you know it was imported, can you afford Uncle Ben’s rice? Anyway I believe the ban is only on rice through Land Borders.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

“I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 / Rivers State Flags Off Construction Of Orochiri-Wurukwo Flyover / We Are For United Nigeria, Southern Senators Declare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.