Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,180 members, 7,780,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:21 AM

2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai (785 Views)

Why APC Ticket Should Go South - El-rufai / Nigeria Is Two Countries In One: Backward North, Developing South - El-rufai / Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by ORIENTATION101: 10:39pm On Nov 30, 2020
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has urged the leadership of the All Progressives Congress to honour the ‘informal agreement’ of ensuring that power goes to the Southern region of Nigeria in 2023.

El-Rufai spoke on Monday night while featuring on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme monitored by The PUNCH.

There have been increased demands by leaders from the Southern part of the country that power be zoned to the region after the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd).

Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State had recently defected from the Peoples Democratic Party to the APC, saying the ruling party will protect the interest of the South-East people in the 2023 presidential election.

Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, had also asked the APC to honour its agreement on zoning, one that the Kaduna State governor corroborated on Monday night.

El-Rufai said, “I think it is important to make this clarification. Personally, I am against zoning because I believe that no country has made progress choosing leaders based on where they come from or their ethnicity or religion. I am against and I don’t practise it. I work with people from every part of the country. I don’t care about their religion or ethnicity; I just want to get things done with the most competent persons with capacity and commitment. That’s a personal position.

READ ALSO: Policemen who should be fighting bandits carry bags of VIP wives —El-Rufai

“However, I believe that as a party, after eight years of President Buhari, we should honour the informal agreement of ensuring that power goes to the South, whether it is South-West or South-East, that is a different matter.

“We have agreed, we have a gentleman’s agreement that power will go to the South and I support that. In as much as I don’t think we should select leaders that way but in the present day Nigeria, that is an interim measure to pursue. But having said that, our party has not taken any decision as far as I know.”

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan and former Bayelsa State governor from the South-South part of the country handed over power to incumbent President Buhari from Katsina State in 2015 after the former lost to the latter at the poll.
https://punchng.com/2023-i-support-return-of-power-to-the-south-el-rufai/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1606770385
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by samincredible44(m): 10:42pm On Nov 30, 2020
This wan el rufai dy support return of power to the south e be like him don see problems wey pass am
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Sonyboom: 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2020
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by yarimo(m): 12:12am On Dec 01, 2020
South west is part of southern region too . let the Presidency go their LOBATAN

2 Likes

Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by amerengues(m): 12:21am On Dec 01, 2020
Hmm

It’s unfortunate that we are shying away from the present challenges bedeviling Nigeria. We are too neckdeeped in raising the political temperature of the country by focusing too much on 2023 rather than espousing a spirited move to come out of this messed economy.

There are so many things going on presently that needs urgent redress. This concern has been dwarfed by recent power tussle rocking the polity.

Myriads of challenges like recession, insecurity, tanked economy, raring potential famine, severe unemployment etc. What we are facing is crippling in isolation let alone the concurrent occurrences of these challenges.

This just shows where our focus lies..,,,,,,

By the way, in aligning myself with the submission of this man, i don’t believe in zoning because it denies the best brain to lead a country. Albeit, it doesn’t mean a particular region should be ostracized completely. Give the south the chance to rule instead of unending political monopoly even though I would have loved a political virgin but competency is key in all ramifications.

Please let’s face these challenges now before it festers. 2023 is still 3 years from now. We need to survive this first.

God help us.
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Kyase(m): 12:24am On Dec 01, 2020
yarimo:
South west is part of southern region too . let the Presidency go their LOBATAN
They take it there and let the grown ups there handle theirselves...
Let the strongest survive...
As for me, give me any APC candidate and I will vote for him/her even if na chicken

Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by thatsleepboy1: 12:55am On Dec 01, 2020
Source pls?
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by flemsy15(m): 12:56am On Dec 01, 2020
Making an agreement is one, honouring it is another. There are some big guys in APC that have come up the rank of political relevance within the past five years and don't give a flying 'F' about any agreement. Some of the founders of the party from the South like Okrocha, Tinubu,... are not being given a conducive environment in the party and d agreement may suffer the same fate.
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Antoeni(m): 1:16am On Dec 01, 2020
Do you know
BUHARI PAYS TRIBUTE TO MARADONA DESCRIBING HIM AS A GREAT MUSICIAN
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by sinistermind(m): 1:42am On Dec 01, 2020
As your Northern kinsmen has failed the North and Nigerians, now you guys wants a southerner to come and repair what your people damaged abi
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Nobody: 3:27am On Dec 01, 2020
Kyase:

They take it there and let the grown ups there handle theirselves...
Let the strongest survive...
As for me, give me any APC candidate and I will vote for him/her even if na chicken

Just look at what is coming out from a full grown man..

Little wonder why we are here today..
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by ggood: 4:07am On Dec 01, 2020
This midget has hidden agenda
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by obami007(m): 5:25am On Dec 01, 2020
Bobo juice

I don’t know why I find it hard to believe this man
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by surgical: 5:49am On Dec 01, 2020
Give us a good electoral act that will guarantee a free,fair and credible elections and leave the rest to we the people we will do the needful.
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by helinues: 5:50am On Dec 01, 2020
If you said so....
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Fahdiga(m): 5:52am On Dec 01, 2020
Trust this snake at your own peril but whether he likes it or not 2023 is for the Igbos to produce president or everyone goes their separate ways
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Godfullsam(m): 6:02am On Dec 01, 2020
Restructure the country and let everyone go to their regions and develop their regions with the resourses they have.

Most people from the south careless about the person in power, they only want peace, progress and development which is achievable through restructuring.

I can only support any southern presidential candidate that promise restructuring .
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by Jostoman: 6:07am On Dec 01, 2020
El -rufai The guy man
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by singwa: 6:11am On Dec 01, 2020
El-rufai is the new Maradona.
Re: 2023: I Support Return Of Power To The South —el-rufai by QuotaSystem: 6:34am On Dec 01, 2020
I wonder why people find it hard to believe that most northerners want a power shift to the south in 2023, even though the political reason is very obvious.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Have Ruled Nigeria Before Buhari Took Over / Insecurity: Buhari Not Serious, We're Tired Of Advising Him—arewa Consultative F / BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap First Class Monarch In Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.