Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,325 members, 7,780,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:52 PM

The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. (17763 Views)

Janet Kyeme, Lokoja University Student Goes Missing After Leaving For Lectures / Does A Local Government Chairman Earn More Than A University Vice-chancellor?? / Cornell University Student Strips In Class To Defend Her Presentation In NewYork (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by dasnan(m): 5:59am On Dec 01, 2020
It is quite worrisome that ASUU has been on strike for over 8 months and still counting. This got me asking myself the following questions:

1. What is the future of higher education in Nigeria?

2. Do the powers that be really give much premium to education ?

3. Is ASUU really fighting for a rubost higher education in Nigeria?

The above questions if sincerely answered may help determine the fate of university students in Nigeria.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Kaaghoney(m): 6:10am On Dec 01, 2020
Bee keeping should be inculcated into the university syllabus

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Tony142: 9:11am On Dec 01, 2020
dasnan:
It is quite worrisome that ASUU has been on strike for over 8 months and still counting. This got me asking myself the following questions: 1. what is the future of higher education in Nigeria? 2. Do the powers that be really give much premium to education ? 3. Is ASUU really fighting for a rubost higher education in Nigeria? The above questions if sincerely answered may help determined the fate of university students in Nigeria.

1. Uncertainty
2. No
3. Big NO, but for their pocket

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Donmoscojaja(m): 10:34am On Dec 01, 2020
Lol...don't blame ASUU, blame the govt that does all in their interest

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by kennyflames(m): 1:56pm On Dec 01, 2020
Both parties are to be blamed

it's better you learn any self reliable skill
e get why.....

6 Likes

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by salbis(m): 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
The fate of university students in Nigeria no balance at all.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
That's why I will make enough money so my kids won't pass through this same shiit. It's either they school in one the best private unis around or I fly them out.

34 Likes

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by ILoveDemMANNA: 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
Can you imagine a country where the school curriculum is regulated by a national central body and states have no powers to vary or amend their curriculum?
So, if the rest of the developed world is light years ahead in what they teach their children from primary schools, and our Minister of Education has absolutely no clue, the States must be burdened with antiquated school curriculum until such a time (if we are lucky, before rapture perhaps!!) that we have an Education Minister who would realise how far behind we are and bring the curriculum up to date.
Just take a look at the science curriculum for grade students in advanced countries and you would cry for Nigeria.
I recently read of a high school in Japan which has amended its curriculum to include robotics and drones technology.
IN HIGH SCHOOL!!
But our Professors here don't have a hang on Robotics even!
Students are still taught the very prehistoric rudiments of physics and chemistry in our schools.
And this is even in the few schools that teachers and students still meet in the classrooms!
For the few public schools that are lucky to have labs, all you see are miserable nameless creatures trapped in formalin, to which nobody ever pays attention.
These creatures suffer a double jeopardy having suffered the first misfortune of being caught and preserved in formalin in Nigeria, and then thereafter completely ignored, even in death!
And because the control of our curriculum is central, there is nothing States can do about this.

You would think this is not a problem until you understand that Nigerians spend over ONE TRILLION NAIRA every year to study abroad.
You see, the reason why you have Cambridge, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Oxford, etc is not only for academic excellence of the citizens of the countries which have these schools. No.
They invest in their institutions so that they can earn revenue from foreign students from countries like Nigeria which has destroyed its educational system.
Abroad, schools are so important to society that the economy, business and lifestyle of whole cities and even States completely depend on or revolve around schools. What would the city of cambridge be without Cambridge University.
Or Cambridge, Massachusett without Harvard University. These cities depend on these universities to survive.
And imagine that Nigeria had invested in its universities and was earning $1billion dollars a year from foreign students seeking to study here, who would be fighting over oil in the Niger Delta?
How many car manufacturing companies would we have in Owerri near FUTO where students are constantly doing and selling their research products to burgeoning engineering and manufacturing companies?
Recently, three students in Sweden conducted research and came up with a product that could improve wear and tear on tyres.
The product became so successful that Volvo had to partner with these students to patent the product.
Now when this product hit world stage, can you imagine how much revenue sweden would earn from these product?
Do your research, most of the world-class products we buy today off the shelf, at great cost, were invented by university students.
As you are reading this, do not forget that without Harvard University, there would not have been facebook, and this our interface would have been impossible.

But our students In Nigeria are not entirely without inventions. We invented the Pyrates Confraternity, the , the Eiye, the Vikings and what not!!
Students resume school with guns and bullets, rather than books and scholastic ideas, as though academic institutions were a war college. Lecturers fly colors as do students.
And when the turf war begins, people die in droves. But States can do nothing about this because some of these institutions are controlled by the Federal Government. Even for the ones controlled by States, you still can't do much because the security apparatus is controlled by the Federal Government.
The Federal Government will provide or withdraw security from the State, depending on whether it is happy with the sitting Governor. So every year, all sorts of characters are vomited from Nigerian Universities to take their place in Nigerian society. So you have Judges, Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors and so forth whose first and primary allegiance is to their cult group, before the Country.
The multiplier effect of this, is a treatise for another day
And this has been going on for decades in this country.
One day, I pray we get it right!
Cc :Btruth
#Respect

122 Likes 18 Shares

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by emmabest2000(m): 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
All thanks to ASUU
They carried Nigerian Uni's on their head walking with difficults while their legs are shaking staggeringly cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by ecomalchemist(m): 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
Dropout of school and HUSTLE, there is no Job anywhere but there are lots of hustles you can do to stay afloat.

Overtime a lot of Nairalanders have been asking for business ideas and i thought to put this down after brainstorming for 20 minutes.

Remember that the goal is to make daily income / passive income #NOSALARYGANG.

As time goes on i'd be sharing other business ventures I'm into, you can start something from here and build it up. You don't need anything fancy, you are in a 3rd world country...always remember that.

So let's get to it.

Keep that money.....refer to number 5, then pay your tithe to me later

1. Pure water business
get a shop with 2 solid dressers, Go to the factory and buy @ the rate of N70. Resell at the rate of 120 - 150 per bag. Supply to schools, churches, individuals...if you sell 200 bags a day, do the math.

2. POS business, (operate in a busy area but close early, e get why). This can be successfully combined with number 1. Contact baxibox.com and surepaddy (providus bank), they will put you through and supply you with the necessary hardware you need for the business... If you are starting out, you necessarily do not need a shop per se...just talk to your local carpenter to construct a small kiosk in a busy environment.

3. Biscuit business (no matter how economy be, people go chop biscuit)

4. Condom business (supply hotels and guest house across the federation)..as religious as we are as a nation we fucc like no mans business, the population keeps SOARING...

5. Local arbitrage (enter eko, look for fast moving products.strike a deal with the seller that you want to be a dropshipper..invest in a good camera phone and apps like lightroom and snapseed, join facebook 'buy and sell groups' facebook has 22M nigerians, just fucking sell something.. create fb / ig / whatsapp business / twitter / nairaland and advertise like your life depends on it).if you want to make 100k daily you need to learn facebook and instagram marketing..LOW RISK

Go here to learn Facebook marketing > trafficmastery ng. Work smart, not hard !

3. Resturant / bar & bushmeat join...during my nysc there's this joint I usually visited to drink mmanya (palmwine) or whatever its called. I spend at least 1k drinking palmy and bushmeat.

4. Foodstuff business (buy from the north, sell in the west)

5. Small chops / akara / yam / potatoes...mama chinedu don build 2 houses, she's on the third one as we speak.

6. Mini importation, this is very tricky due to the forex rate and all the bottlenecks but i will teach you how you can pass this hurdle in my next posts.

7. importation of gadgets / Phone accessories / used items... WhatsApp me for the free guide..

8. Data vending business...goto https://mobilenig.com/?ref=97 get cheap dirt data, pay bills and airtime. This business can be combined with Number 1 & 2...all you need is a mobile phone and internet connection, ATM card (GTB..most preferrable for this jab). Use jBL speakers, just dey play latest gbedu dey go..people will come around to patronize you..
I made over 300k doing this, I still dey do am sha..lol

If you want to take it online...get a good graphics designer to design something like 'BUHARI DATA SERVICES' with data prices and services u render ...lmao..u get my drift sha...then come online and start bombing...facebook...instagram...twitter..nairaland...telegram...

9. Selling of used items on jiji, nairaland, facebook market place and Olist...that your neighbour has items he has not been using for sometime...use style and ask him....take clear pictures in a nice background and upload it, out your price...your phone would start beeping from phone calls

10. DROPSHIPPING (millionaire's paradise)

Please comment and share, thank you.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT THE FIGHT IS AGAINST POVERTY.
#JEKINGBADUNLOMAGBADUN#

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
Many of you are quick to blame ASUU for the strike but without the industrial actions successive government have failed to make education top priority instead focusing on frivolities. Imagine the budget for refurbishing national assembly is more than the proposed university revitalization.

Check out Nigeria's standard of education in the 60s and compare it to what we have now. Do you know the state of the public primary and secondary schools across the country? Is the standard as high as it was earlier. Nigeria doesn't cherish her own neither does she provide the necessary environment and conditions for development. Money isn't the motivation for many in academics but put things right, create a conducive environment for research, provide equipments and see innovations streaming from every university.

Brain drain is already in motion, doctors are leaving the country for you leaving you with quacks, academics will follow suit when you fail to do the needful.

Be careful when passing judgement because this very university system provided the foundation for Soyinka, Achebe, Okonjo and many other excellent Nigerian sons and daughters across the globe.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Homeboiy: 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
I’m considering quitting
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by bigdot1759(m): 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
simply learn a skill along side ur academic education or else.......
" remember............. its beta a million times to have COMMON SENSE without education dan to have education without COMMON SENSE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
sad They don't seem bothered, when the system is centered on and around exams
When school resumes now, in no time, everyone will be talking about exams
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Imperare(f): 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
We will win

2 Likes

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by NwaNimo1(m): 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
A Nigerian grad has no future........Even if they study at Oxford, Cambridge,

Robots/AI are taking over!
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Shamelessman01: 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
Se mojo charity

I don't want to be negative
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by IMASTEX: 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
It will only be a wast of time for any students that didn't lean a trade, skill, run a business, development himself or travel.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by tardell007(m): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
It’s good for the premier league
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by ednut1(m): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
Majority of ASUU members have their kids in private uni and abroad. 9ja don cast

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by justuschi50: 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
Pple still dey talk of assu, which level I given dey self, can't remember
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
Nigeria has gotten to a stage where students shouldn’t rely solely on their certificate.. they should engage in any other availability to creat much possibilities in the future..
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Onnasucs1(m): 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
dasnan:
It is quite worrisome that ASUU has been on strike for over 8 months and still counting. This got me asking myself the following questions:

1. What is the future of higher education in Nigeria?

2. Do the powers that be really give much premium to education ?

3. Is ASUU really fighting for a rubost higher education in Nigeria?

The above questions if sincerely answered may help determine the fate of university students in Nigeria.

The government doesn't care about education in Nigeria. It will only go worse in the coming years if we keep electing these set of people into political office.

ASUU is Academic Staff Union of University.

They're a union for the welfare of university staff not university students. So we can't blame them if they don't care. It is actually not their concern.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by kennyflames(m): 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Coronavirus84: 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
Incompetent leaders has shattered the fate of Nigerian students in their academic pursuit. The best option for a youths in this rubbish country is gentle apply for a vocational training aside pursuing his or her academic pursuit. ASUU is another rubbish Union that is rendering our Academic calendar useless for the students just because of their greedy and selfish reasons.
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Igyeseh(m): 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2020
Baby today is my birthday.

Sugar Daddy: Check your account and enjoy your day.
Boyfriend: On a day like this, an Angel was born.....
grin grin grin.

Stone free, neat local rice available in large quantity.

Check my signature for details.

1 Like

Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by Kingpele(m): 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2020
I blame Lord lugard,if he didn't merged the north and south ,we wouldn't have incompetent north folks mostly retired service men ruling over intelligent south....
Re: The Fate Of A University Student In Nigeria. by tillaman(m): 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2020
We need to first wipe off the mentality that without school an individual won’t amount to nothing, once we have done that then we can pick up from there

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria LNG Overseas Scholarship Scheme To Study In UK 2016 / Strike Continues, FG Yet To Take Concrete Action – ASUU / Ijaw National Academy Kaiama In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.