Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,937 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola (35769 Views)

Senate Presidency Race: Tinubu Insists Zoning Should Be To South / 2023: Zoning Presidency To South "Not A Must" — Zulum / Rivers Guber: Amaechi Backs Aac's Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by tamdun: 1:33pm On Dec 01, 2020
Rotimi Amaechi, minister of transportation, says the zoning arrangement for political offices should be respected ahead of the 2023 elections.
Amaechi, who spoke during a Channels TV programme on Sunday, said the arrangement, which is usually between the north and south, should remain the same.

In Nigeria, political offices — especially the presidency — are rotated on the basis of geographical zones, from the time of Olusegun Obasanjo up till the administration of President Muhamadu Buhari who is from Katsina state.

Some Nigerians have started clamouring that the presidency should return to the south with the 2023 election.

Asked by the anchor if the All Progressives Congress (APC) will consider giving the south-east a chance for the presidency in 2023, Amaechi responded: “It is a difficult question for me to respond to. I just believe that the zoning which was done in the north and south should be respected, just like Fashola said.”

The minister who is from Rivers state, also said it is “a bit too early” to have conversations about contesting for president either in 2023 or afterwards.

“The best conversation to have now is how to deliver on the railway, maritime as it pertains to the responsibility assigned to me by the president,” the minister said.

Rotimi Amaechi, minister of transportation, says the zoning arrangement for political offices should be respected ahead of the 2023 elections.

“Why not allow me to complete the responsibility that has been given to me by the president which is being the minister of transportation.”

Amaechi’s comments align with that of Babatunde Fashola, minister of works and housing, who said about a week ago that the APC must respect its zoning agreement which would see a southerner replace Buhari.

However, some notable politicians from the north, including Nasir el-Rufai have opposed zoning of political offices.

The Kaduna state governor said competence trumps power-sharing.
https://www.thecable.ng/2023-zoning-should-be-respected-amaechi-backs-fashola

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by ggood: 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2020
ok
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by tamdun: 1:42pm On Dec 01, 2020
Every southern politicians should speak out

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Homeboiy: 1:43pm On Dec 01, 2020
undecided
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by tamdun: 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2020
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by festacman(m): 1:54pm On Dec 01, 2020
The truth is that Northern politicians are running their mouths, flexing their muscles and beating their chests because they have succeeded in putting fear in their Southern colleagues to accept their shenanigans. Unfortunately, what they fail to realize is that a boycott of election by a UNITED South CRIPPLES and INVALIDATES everything about 2023 Northern presidency bid and set the stage for something CATACLYSMIC, the end result of which is yet unknown about the continued existence of the country.

If Southern Nigeria made and continues to make compromises by accepting FEDERAL CHARACTER and QUOTA SYSTEM to preserve the unity of Nigeria, the North (both PDP and APC) MUST be make their own compromises by accepting North-South ROTATIONAL PRESIDENCY for the same goal at least for now.

Enough of this anoyingly irrational and shamelessly insensitive posturing. Northern Nigeria and Southern Nigeria need each other to exist as Nigeria. No entity is superior to the other.

Come 2023, if North retains the presidency as though nobody is capable in the South, the Southern leaders would have absolutely nobody to blame but themselves. Nobody takes you seriously until you assert yourself and time has come for that in view of feelers from the North.

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Rugaria: 1:56pm On Dec 01, 2020
I want Buhari to give the presidency to a fellow fulani..

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by etrouble: 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
Rugaria:
I want Buhari to give the presidency to a fellow fulani..

So that the killings and maiming can continue in the North? You are a deep thinking. But sorry, that won’t happen. A Southern President will be better, he will just ignore them while Boko Haram kills the remaining educated Almajaris

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by MadamExcellency: 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
Zoning should be respected as gentlemanly agreed.

When it reaches the South, we will settle the matter without fight or violence.

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by tamdun: 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
MadamExcellency:
Zoning should be respected as gentlemanly agreed.

When it reaches the South, we will settle the matter without fight or violence.
Exactly, all region in South can contest but it shouldn't go back to North

12 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Charmingrascal(m): 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2020
tamdun:
Amaechi, who spoke during a Channels TV programme on Sunday, said the arrangement, which is usually between the north and south, should remain the same.

In Nigeria, political offices — especially the presidency — are rotated on the basis of geographical zones, from the time of Olusegun Obasanjo up till the administration of President Muhamadu Buhari who is from Katsina state.

Some Nigerians have started clamouring that the presidency should return to the south with the 2023 election.

Asked by the anchor if the All Progressives Congress (APC) will consider giving the south-east a chance for the presidency in 2023, Amaechi responded: “It is a difficult question for me to respond to. I just believe that the zoning which was done in the north and south should be respected, just like Fashola said.”

The minister who is from Rivers state, also said it is “a bit too early” to have conversations about contesting for president either in 2023 or afterwards.

“The best conversation to have now is how to deliver on the railway, maritime as it pertains to the responsibility assigned to me by the president,” the minister said.

“Why not allow me to complete the responsibility that has been given to me by the president which is being the minister of transportation.”

Amaechi’s comments align with that of Babatunde Fashola, minister of works and housing, who said about a week ago that the APC must respect its zoning agreement which would see a southerner replace Buhari.

However, some notable politicians from the north, including Nasir el-Rufai have opposed zoning of political offices.

The Kaduna state governor said competence trumps power-sharing.

https://www.thecable.ng/2023-zoning-should-be-respected-amaechi-backs-fashola

We don't want Nigerian again is it by force

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Racoon(m): 2:30pm On Dec 01, 2020
Nigeria especially the north is in turmoil yet these people are only obsessed with an illusionary 2023 presidency that may never come.The best thing to do or talk about is total restructuring or disintegration so that each region can develop @ its own pace.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by cktheluckyman: 2:34pm On Dec 01, 2020
tamdun:

Exactly, all region in South can contest but it shouldn't go back to North
Including the SW that has already done 8 years of Obasanjo? How exactly is that different from the North contesting?

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by cktheluckyman: 2:37pm On Dec 01, 2020
I hate hypocrisy.If we can't practice equity down south the we have no business preaching it to the North.

If we are not ready to zone in the real sense of it then let the north keep ruling us.The SW and the NW has no business contesting for the presidency in 2023

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by PCG001: 2:45pm On Dec 01, 2020
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by OakConsultNG: 2:46pm On Dec 01, 2020
Okay then..

Get huge discounts, take your business to the peak today.. Register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC today! Obtain your TIN. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by ILoveDemMANNA: 2:46pm On Dec 01, 2020
The below is only for the wise people on Nairaland...
I got this from my Role model(s) online... [/b]....

Men and women of truth and caliber.

[b]SOUTH EAST: IS IT NOT TOO LATE?

I have read the recent transmissions by Senator Bukola Saraki directed at my Igbo tribe. I have deliberately kept mum on this as I had earlier resolved to speak less on Igbos as regards the 2019 Elections and 2023 Presidency having said quite a bit. 

However seeing as some of my brethren have swallowed the cheap bait, I will chip this in just to keep the reality before us, at least for posterity sake. Truth is bitter but it's still the best medicine. 

My people say; 'He who does not remember where the rain started beating him, will not remember where it stopped'. 

REWIND TO 2014. 
A new National Party was being conceived. Political Parties, political players and Regions were being wooed to the new alliance. 

'We' Igbos (read South East) vehemently refused to touch it even with a long pole. We packaged, sold to ourselves and bought the baseless propaganda that it was an Islamic alliance that would birth an "Islamic" and "Hausa" Party. Simply because those our brethren heavily invested in the PDP at the time were afraid of losing their vested selfish interests.
Till today I'm still trying to fathom the basis for that wicked and twisted deceit especially as many of those Igbo elites who sold that dummy have since ported to the same APC.

We failed to even identify with that new Alliance. Hence the Party, APC was birthed without any remarkable input from us or presence. The few amongst us who aligned were called all kinds of names and abused to high heavens by us even when they were proven right afterall.

Thus the few Igbos who were part of it were at best fringe players as they didn't have the required clout to make serious demands and do the necessary political wheeling and dealing required in Politics to strike the hard bargains since politics is all about interests and numbers. They were even suspect, so much so that it was only their personal political sagacity that gave them whatever they got.

That Party went on to win the Presidential Election which in truth, most of us never believed it could or would, because of our half baked permutations and poor understanding of Nigerian politics. But it did. 

Curiously we turned up at the fore front of telling this same Party how it should share it's 'spoils of war'. We became hypocritical moral champions with an over bloated sense of entitlement. Who does that, in all political reality and practicality? But we did, even while vehemently and vociferously still refusing to shift our position, style and rhethoric.

We dug in. Supported every bad thing and person against the Party, the elected President and the Administration while denying any and every good done to and for our Region.

Fast forward to where we are today. Almost four years after the 2015 misadventure, we have stayed put at 2015, refusing to move forward, refusing to shift grounds, refusing to play pragmatic politics, telling ourselves the same lies we cooked and bought in 2015 and some more. 

Now barely 5 months to another election, we have started again saying "APC cannot give Presidency to Igbos in 2023". "Buhari cannot hand over to an Igbo man because Buhari hates Igbos". "APC is deceiving you", bla bla bla.

Of course. We will believe Saraki, who has only but a fanthom dream of becoming President and whose only known record is selfishness but we can't believe Buhari who's already President and who has a record of voluntarily picking two great Igbo sons as running mates in the past? Chukwu aju.

It is interesting and vital to note here that the PDP which many of us still proudly support and adore was in power for 16 solid years and in those years there were 4 Presidential Inaugurations and on none of those was an Igbo man found worthy by the PDP of even Vice Presidency and we are still bold to say it is the APC that has not even finished one and a half tenure that doesn't want to give power to Igbos. Odi nma

NOW; Seriously, let's be sincere. As things stand today politically, why would the APC even hand power to us Igbos in 2023? 
On what grounds? 
On what records?
On what politics?
Is power given to anyone? 
Is it an appeasement or a gift? 

The APC is a political party. The main focus of a political Party is to hold power and keep it to enable it deliver on its agenda. So if the APC reads that the SE does not want the Presidency or does not have the capacity to help them win and keep power, they will stick with the regions that can and work with individuals who are interested. 

Make no mistake, I have always said, I do not blame us Igbos for the decision majority of us took in 2015. It's our right. But continuing to pretend that it was other regions, Buhari or the APC that made us do what we did then or remain where we are today is purely self deceit and I refuse to play that ostrich game. 

As far back as 2014, I and many others made that argument that Igbo Presidency was very feasible in 2023, ONLY under under the APC, ONLY IF we did a couple of things right politically. I personally continued to speak loudly on that even after the 2015 elections until when I realized that we were not ready to play the politics that was required and now I dare say it may be too late. Or is it not? Time will tell.

For now, we can continue to tell ourselves that we cannot hold the Presidency of Nigeria. I heard and read many of our brethren go from PDP to Biafra/seccesion (read IPOB) to Referendum to "Igbos do not need Presidency but Restructuring" etc forgetting that all that didn't lie squarely with us alone. We think other regions are not reading our body language?

I really don't care what Saraki writes or says because they've all come to realize that it's very easy to play us like a flute. So like Saraki, like Fani Kayode, like Fayose, like Atiku, even Jonah Jang of all people, they keep playing us.

I've learnt not to bother myself anymore to avoid unnecessary abuse from nonentities . As some of us have said, it's good governance we want, even if only one village will be producing the Presidents. So be it.

Ka Chineke mezie okwu. 

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by AFvckingAlpha(m): 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
The fvck

Niggarr!!

Amaechi is a pussy ass niggarr and will forever go down in history as a snitch.

A snitch is always a snitch, dont matter who you snitched on.

Zoning? My take on it, I'd have to smoke my 2nd stick of my precious 'Marley way' first and I modify my comment.

But isnt it the turn of them niggars from the south East.

I said what I said my niggarr

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by shizzle11(m): 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
The north can rule for another 8years since some slaves in the south are so greedy and stupid

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Zico5(m): 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
Hausa/Fulani will just use the head of this one to break coconut. By the time Buhari start opening the can of worms on u guys then u will know northern hegemony are here to stay with the power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by h00Dlounge: 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
cry cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Eriokanmi: 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
Group of jokers. You'd be shocked
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by shizzle11(m): 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
etrouble:

So that the killings and maiming can continue in the North? You are a deep thinking. But sorry, that won’t happen. A Southern President will be better, he will just ignore them while Boko Haram kills the remaining educated Almajaris
are you saying there has been killing in the north? By who exactly? I thought boko haram has been defeated according to you apc zombies? I thought buhari has taken the battle to boko haram?

By the way, what do you mean by southern president? Which of the south? You yoruba cyber urchins are a funny lot

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by omenka(m): 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
Making too much fuss about this honestly.

APC ticket is going West. PDP can zone theirs anywhere they want, but I feel no one deserves it more than the East.

MY PERSONAL OPINION.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by Equal2DeTask(m): 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
shocked
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by hisexcellency34: 2:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
Who zoning epp?
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by goshen26: 2:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
Ok
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by yeyeboi(m): 2:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
Ok
Re: 2023: Zoning Should Be Respected — Amaechi Backs Fashola by AsawanaDgreat: 2:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
Useless politicians

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Atiku And Okowa Pull Out Of Presidential Town Hall Meeting / Shettima Should Be The Best VP For Tinubu (Opinion) / Only God Or Atiku's Victory Can Save Gov Adeleke - Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.