Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman (15625 Views)

The Moment Mahmood Yakubu Announced Postponement Of 2019 Elections (PICS) / INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu Wearing An APC Campaign Cap With Broom Design / Court Orders Arrest Of Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by etokhana: 3:35pm On Dec 01, 2020
Nigeria Senate on Tuesday confirmed Mahmood Yakubu as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The Senate confirmed Yakubu’s nomination sent by President Muhammadu Buhari after Ibrahim Gaya, chairman of the committee on INEC, presented a report for consideration of his confirmation for a second tenure in office.

Gaya said Yakubu is qualified to occupy office again as chairman of the electoral commission.

“The nominee displayed high intelligence and he has the temerity to hold office of the chairman,” Gaya said.

“The nominee is not affiliated to any political party and he has not attended an political rally or campaign.

“The nominee has met the requirements of section 451 and section 41 (i)(ii) of the third schedule part 1 f contained in the 1999 constitution of the republic of Nigeria as amended.”

Yakubu’s nomination was unanimously approved by the lawmakers.

President Buhari had on October 27, 2020, reappointed Yakubu, a professor of Political History and International Studies, for another tenure of five years subject to confirmation by the senate.

“In accordance with the provision of Section 154 (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), I am pleased to present for confirmation by the Senate, the nomination of Prof. Mahmood Yakubu for appointment as chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for a second and final term,” Buhari said in a letter to Senate president Ahmad Lawan.

Yakubu was appointed head of the commission in 2015 after the expiration of the tenure of Attahiru Jega, former INEC chairman.

The INEC chairman handed over to Marshal Ahmed Mu’azu (Rtd), a national commissioner of the electoral body from the Northeast to be in an acting capacity in November. The handing over ceremony took place at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
https://m.guardian.ng/news/senate-confirms-yakubu-reappointment-as-inec-chairman/
Mynd44
Lalasticlala

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by DonFreshmoney(m): 3:49pm On Dec 01, 2020
If the occupant was a southern Christian, I am very certain that Buhari wouldnt extend his tenure... The way this country is going ehn.... Nigeria is in deep trouble.

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by OfficialAwol(m): 3:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
Mahmoud deserves his reappointment by all indices.

Mahmoud's INEC stood it's ground in Zamfara to say that APC had no candidates even though APC was the ruling party.

Mahmoud's INEC stood against Okorocha's victory in senatorial election after INEC staff alleged he was coerced to do so though Appeal Court later decided the case in Okorocha's favor(wrongly so).

Mahmoud's INEC has continued to obey every court order irrespective of which party it favours or it is against.

Now I like his genuine drive for more technological innovations in our electioneering process. Like the introduction of election viewing portal and modification of the Card Reader machines.

The few pitfalls INEC has had under him are due to circumstances beyond his control.

In Osun, INEC rightly declared elections inconclusive judging from the parameters it has applied elsewhere. However, in run-off, security agencies took over and prevented opposition voters from casting their ballots. INEC does not control the army, police or civil defence. Maybe there's something they've could've done but think of the legal implications.

Same story for Kano and Kogi. It usually is not the fault of INEC but security agents doing dirty jobs.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying INEC is now perfect and without blemish, but if they can maintain recent template as seen in recent elections in Edo and Ondo, then we are good. At least to an extent.

Congratulations Mahmoud!

49 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Jagznation(m): 3:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
Good this is the best news so far this week ,a man of high integrity there's no doubt elections will be free and fair.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by MarveworldNG: 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2020
Alright.
We wish Nigeria all the best (free and fair) in the next election

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Olunmercy56(f): 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Amotolongbo(f): 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
Nigeria Senate on Tuesday confirmed Mahmood Yakubu as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The senate has option not to rubber stamp the appointment?

12 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Burstit(m): 4:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
What's ' breaking ' about this kind news? as if them get the mind to do otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by RenaissanceGuy: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2020
Nigeria is on the cusp of break-up. It's now a matter of 'when', not 'how?'.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by helinues: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2020
Rubber stamping things

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by espn(m): 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
Some people are complaining
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Burstit(m): 4:10pm On Dec 01, 2020
DonFreshmoney:
If the occupant was a southern Christian, I am very certain that Buhari wouldnt extend his tenure... The way this country is going ehn.... Nigeria is in deep trouble.
I de tell you, the country is in a terrible shape. The jihadist don entrench nepotism in every sector of the country. The man has no ideas on good governance, all he is interested in is having a Fulani muslim manning different key juicy sectors of the economy. The guy is wicked.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by OfficialAwol(m): 4:12pm On Dec 01, 2020
DonFreshmoney:

But Buhari reappointed Emefiele.

A southern Christian.

Make we dey criticize with sense na.

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by JAMO84: 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2020
DonFreshmoney:
The CBN boss is a Fulani Muslim from Futa Jalon abi?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by JAMO84: 4:20pm On Dec 01, 2020
Well deserved

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by sapientia(m): 4:20pm On Dec 01, 2020
One of the costliest confirmation of 2020

Three billion Naira confirmation.

2023 rigging initiated.

But by the time they use servers in Anambra come 2021, we will see all their flaws and block it.

PDP is the weakest opposition party west of Africa.

Very greedy opposition

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Burstit(m): 4:23pm On Dec 01, 2020
OfficialAwol:

But Buhari reappointed Emefiele.

A southern Christian.

Make we dey criticize with sense na.
Somebody give you one, take ten, you come de happy. e show say you no get sense.

19 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Confirmedzombie: 4:24pm On Dec 01, 2020
God bless the Nigerian senate for upholding the rule of law.

The best senate in the history of Nigeria. Justice delayed is not justice denied.

The truth has set yakubu free.

Thank you Buhari for working under the ampit of the law.
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by newharddrives(m): 5:08pm On Dec 01, 2020
Congrats,how election 2023 go dey?
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Mouthpis(m): 5:08pm On Dec 01, 2020
R
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by bigman001(m): 5:08pm On Dec 01, 2020

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by NaijaOlosho(f): 5:08pm On Dec 01, 2020
Rubber stamp senate must do as the Yoruba slave masters have ordered them

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by h00Dlounge: 5:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
Imagine... Rubbish appointment

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by hinere(m): 5:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
Why are my not surprised. Somebody that said he will pay is it 3 or 30 Billion Naira as bribe just to be Re-elected...I can't even remember sef. This country is messed up. A Country where bribery is the order of the day.
Nigerians need to have money because no matter what, money makes you rule. Think of ways you get can money. Money opens all doors.
These Politicians especially these Northern Politicians you see make money through Investments...becos seriously, what is their work
They invest their money into Agriculture. They discourage you not to venture into Agriculture yet they secretly venture into it. Even Dangote invests in Agriculture.
When I say Agriculture, I don't mean carrying cutlass and hoe to enter farm. These Politicians don't know where farm is.
Invest in already thriving Agricultural Ventures by Companies.

When you invest in Agriculture, you make 55% Profit in months. And this comes with a Legal Deed of Agreement, Post Dated Cheque and Insurance Coverage.

Nigerians need to wake up for Agriculture is the Future of Nigeria.

A Wise man once said....
Young Millionaires should be aware that the Crude Oil you see today would be used up oneday but Food will continue to be eaten forever.

To know more about this and how to Invest in Agriculture and make profits.

Click this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/6235562/invest-agriculture-make-up-55
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Oba5eki: 5:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
He doesn't deserve it
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by pickatyou2: 5:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
Mine is lauretta, hope she worth be confirmed her position.

We are already use to the inconclusiveness force on us, please don't add a drunk to it .

For your car tracking services and installation, check my signature
Re: Senate Confirms Mahmood Yakubu's Reappointment As INEC Chairman by Denique(f): 5:10pm On Dec 01, 2020
I saw manhood. Who else did at first?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: Armed Forces Must Prepare For Election Violence From Obidients / N20M Was Offered To Murder Oshiomhole's Aid, Suspect Claims / #ondodecides: Olusola Oke Casts His Vote In His Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.