Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices (27485 Views)

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices / Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / See 10 Interesting Facts About Igbo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 10:01pm On Dec 01, 2020
I want to create this post in order to disabuse the minds of nairalanders on the misconceptions about much-talked about igbo bride prices.
Contrary to the belief that igbo bride prices run into millions, the bride prices are usually a token. In my hometown in Arondizuogu, Imo State, it is about N200.

The misconception arises from the list given to family of the intending groom. That list is far different from the bride price.
Different people in igboland give different lists in igboland for the different groups in the village they come to marry - the daughters of the family (my 2 year old children get their shares in my place), the women, the youths and the elders. And there are options. You either bring the items or bring the money. Example, u can go to a community and they ask you to bring 10 big yams, another can ask for 20 kegs of palm wine, others can ask for coconut. And youths in my place must ask for a roll of cigarettes, benson or rothmas. And the groom has an option, either to buy them and bring according to specifications or just drop money.

Buying the items usually bring problem. U can buy 10 big yams, and they tell u that it is only 2 that are big, you have to pay for the other 8 'small ones'. U can buy Life and Hero drinks, and they say no, one must be Star, so some people will prefer to pay cash and will be taxed heavily.
All in all, all the issues will be settled, so no worries.

let other igbos and other nairalanders contribute.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by psyco: 10:05pm On Dec 01, 2020
What of motorcycles? Wheelbarrows. And foods for the whole extended families.

71 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 11:12pm On Dec 01, 2020
psyco:
you gave ur inlaws those when u got married? Or are u still single?

34 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Vikkoh(m): 12:04am On Dec 02, 2020
thatigboman:

I guess he's still single, broke and living in his Parents house angry .

66 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by waze63(m): 1:21am On Dec 02, 2020
thatigboman:
I want to create this post in order to disabuse the minds of nairalanders on the misconceptions about much-talked about igbo bride prices.
Contrary to the belief that igbo bride prices run into millions, the bride prices are usually a token. In my hometown in Arondizuogu, Imo State, it is about N200.
The misconception arises from the list given to family of the intending groom. That list is far different from the bride price.
Different people in igboland give different lists in igboland for the different groups in the village they come to marry - the daughters of the family (my 2 year old children get their shares in my place), the women, the youths and the elders. And there are options. You either bring the items or bring the money. Example, u can go to a community and they ask you to bring 10 big yams, another can ask for 20 kegs of palm wine, others can ask for coconut. And youths in my place must ask for a roll of cigarettes, benson or rothmas. And the groom has an option, either to buy them and bring according to specifications or just drop money.
Buying the items usually bring problem. U can buy 10 big yams, and they tell u that it is only 2 that are big, you have to pay for the other 8 'small ones'. U can buy star Life and Hero drinks, and they say no, one must be Star, so some people will prefer to pay cash and will be taxed heavily.
All in all, all the issues will be settled, so no worries.

Lalasticlala pls move this to the promised land let other igbos and other nairalanders contribute.
Pls can I copy this article?
I would love to educate people in my blog on this
Do I have ur permission sir?

6 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 8:56am On Dec 02, 2020
waze63:

Pls can I copy this article?
I would love to educate people in my blog on this
Do I have ur permission sir?
u have my permission

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by waze63(m): 11:24am On Dec 02, 2020
thatigboman:
u have my permission
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by laiperi: 12:19am On Dec 03, 2020
My love, every godde tin kiss money. If you love me pay for what I ass you.

This was an Haitian girl talking o, not Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2020
laiperi:
My love, every godde tin kiss money. If you love me pay for what I ass you.

This was an Haitian girl talking o, not Igbo.
tnx plenty
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Ideadoctor(m): 6:10am On Dec 09, 2020
psyco:

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Ideadoctor(m): 6:11am On Dec 09, 2020
what do they want wheelbarrow for?

4 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Bobotic(m): 9:08am On Dec 09, 2020
Bride Price of a non-virgin? grin cool

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Bar1941(m): 9:08am On Dec 09, 2020
Really, so that list is about house warming not wedding? You are talking as if the list is about something else. What brought about the list in the first instance if not the bride?

76 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Chisaedhor: 9:08am On Dec 09, 2020
grin
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Shellsploit: 9:08am On Dec 09, 2020
Yoruba ladies sef... grin
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by tstx(m): 9:09am On Dec 09, 2020
Hmmm
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by slawormiir: 9:09am On Dec 09, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright ....
Ogbeni forget all this long bla bla
What shall it profit a man to pay 200 naira for bride price

But last last them go still come shock you with list way you nor fit afford

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by bigseank(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2020
it is greed that will kill you people. Just in the name of marriage you ask for heaven and earth. see as this one dey try explain nonsense.

i followed my padi to imo state go marry, it got to a time i looked at the wife and asked myself is this girl even worth it, i cried for my guy that day.

U guys change your archaic ways. Your females are not cattles. they should not be a means to line your pocket.

166 Likes 13 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by hakym619(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2020
Igbo marriage is a low key poverty alleviation scheme

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nazgul: 9:10am On Dec 09, 2020
Marriage in Igbo land depends on the family like you rightfully stated.

If you're marrying from a greedy family, it will take God's divine intervention for you not to loose your patience with them.

I've been to a wedding where the groom literally walked out cos of excessive billing he said he isn't doing again. Worse of it all was that his supposed in-laws were even mocking him telling him that he's not man enough to get married that what is he doing here.

It was the cries of his bride to be and her mum and some other direct female relatives that brought him back.

So my brother it just depends on the family and most especially if the girls father is still alive. Cos if her father is alive there are some nonsense he wouldn't tolerate cos he knows that any financial burden he places on you, his daughter would bear it as well.

But if it's all these useless uncles who don't even care about the girls welfare, they'll try to use her marriage as a route to escape poverty thereby billing you heartlessly.

141 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Sweetas2(m): 9:11am On Dec 09, 2020
Ok
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by SmartPolician: 9:11am On Dec 09, 2020
Nothing attracts online traffic like Igbo topics

Watch this thread snowball into many pages.

I am out.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by 1x2x3: 9:12am On Dec 09, 2020
Vikkoh:

I guess he's still single, broke and living in his Parents house angry .

After settling the long list which will likely be within the range of 500k to 1M are you still going to buy drinks, buy cow, canopies, cook food for the main function or once you settle the list then the brides family take charge?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Sanchez01: 9:13am On Dec 09, 2020
thatigboman:
He is right ooo. A friend who got married to an Mbaise babe around 2015 was asked to get sets of bra and pants for the bride's mum and motorcycle for the grandmum. He still got married to her but not after near-fist fights between both families, particularly the groom and bride's brothers.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by 2dice01: 9:13am On Dec 09, 2020
hakym619:
Fact
Now imagine paying Huge amount for
Tokunbo or 5th hand Product
cheesy

Last last they will blame Buhari for everything

25 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 09, 2020
Finally someone talks about this

1) in igbo land ...your village and your mom's village owns u , not your family ...your family is just caretakers ...so u must marry her from the village then family

2) most of the list given to you would be used for your traditional marriage , rice , drinks , and the rest

3) the list is made big very big like in my village so that u can't pay all , it's believed once u pay all the woman is yours for ever and u can do what ever u like

The idea is to give u a big list u can't pay ...so that u can owe your in-laws ...and with that treat your wife well

All you have to say is my in-laws this is what I have for now ...we know they don't complete the marriage of a woman ...we would keep paying the debt as long as I'm alive ...simple

4) it's insulting to pay the bride price that I are told , u should bargain it and beg them to accept what u have

Infact as a man your people would from vex and leave u would go and beg them and beg them to come back , and so forth it's just ceremony to show u are paying from your noise to get the beautiful flower

5) no body talks about what the girls people give to her , in my place mbaise , we buy her all her kitchen equipments , from the smallest to the biggest after her white weeding or her first delivery

Two for each delivery we go for omugu , they carry everything she and her husband people would eat for 3 months

Finally igbo weeding is nothing compared to kalabari, opobo bonny and okrika

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Angelfrost(m): 9:13am On Dec 09, 2020
Mr. Op, stop this pedantry and trying to be smart by half, please!!!

Everyone knows the literal meaning of Bride Price!!!... You are the one who seems ignorant of the contextual meaning here.

When people complain of "Bride Price" being high, of course they are referring to the entire ridiculous demands from the Bride's family.... They merely lump it all conveniently into a single term "Bride Price"!!! This is quite simple na!

No offense sir, I honestly don't see the real point of this thread!!! tongue

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by sojfarm: 9:13am On Dec 09, 2020
In one word, Igbo people want the bridegroom to carry his expenses, her expenses, all the parents expenses etc

We understand. It is poverty driven culture please

27 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by jeff1607(m): 9:14am On Dec 09, 2020
hakym619:

Hmmmmm

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ibrahim Chatta Umar Is Dead! Etsu Patigi Dies / Wolof People / Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Shares Money To Villagers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.