Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? (39755 Views)

Have Nigerians Seen Only One Fuel Scarcity Under Buhari As Femi Adesina Claimed? / Katsina Elevates Dumurkul To A District In Daura / Official: PDP Won 2 Of 3 Senatorial District In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 7:37pm On Dec 02, 2020
Marina district used to be the heart of Lagos, and still hosts the city's most iconic towers. However, there is a stunning lack of investment in Marina compared to other areas such as Lekki, Ikeja, and Eko Atlantic. In fact, many of the iconic buildings are laying abandoned with no attempt at renovation or rehabilitation.

Marina is strategically located in between near the mainland and near many of the banking headquarters, so why is this distinct being so heavily neglected by property developers who haven't build any skyscraper here since the late 80s?

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 7:40pm On Dec 02, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvVG_hm4XI

If you go to 3:27, it will move you to tears. Nigeria hasn't changed in over 40 years. Same president. And Marina looks exactly the same as when my dad was my age! In fact, they were even planning to build a light rail in the late 80s and it is still not complete.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by slimfit1(m): 7:41pm On Dec 02, 2020
No planning and investment

5 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:42pm On Dec 02, 2020
Excessive holdup

Diversified business activity centers

The competition got better. I.e Computer Village

Modern business activities can be done from home and not necessarily an office

Cloud-productivity has completely phased out office structure systems. Everyone used to want to go to marina for filing and processing stocks and shares documents for example. With just a few clicks, one can't get many of these things done not making it necessary to visit office buildings

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:
Excessive holdup

Diversified business activity centers

The competition got better. I.e Computer Village

Modern business activities can be done from home and not necessarily an office

Cloud-productivity has completely phased out office structure systems
Why didn't these factors stop Dubai's skyline from growing?

165 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by seanfer(m): 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2020
Anytime I pass Savannah bank building, I always wonder why that building is just wasting.

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:45pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
Why didn't these factors stop Dubai's skyline from growing?

My parents met themselves in Marina. Passed through or visited Marina for over 25 years. I'm providing answers based on reality

One can't go to marina or return from the mainland without spending hours on such trips. Life happened to Marina. Marina that used to be the next name after God is hardly known or acknowledged by the new generation

Visit this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/6294516/why-igbos-refuse-go-into

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 7:47pm On Dec 02, 2020
seanfer:
Anytime I pass Savannah bank building, I always wonder why that building is just wasting.
It's senseless. With how high rents are in Lagos, why wouldn't someone just renovate the building and make some nice apartments that could easily rent for $2,000 to $6,000 a month? We like to blame government for everything, but reality Nigerians aren't thinking. We are just stangant people. If not for the lebanese, I doubt lagos would look much different from Ibadan in terms of a skyline.

107 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:47pm On Dec 02, 2020
Marina sits on water virtually and with the billions Marina was making, even in its prime didn't see the need for an efficient effective water transport based system. How won't it fall?

The glory has departed from Marina

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:48pm On Dec 02, 2020
Insane rental costs. Totally insane rental charges. Empty buildings everywhere

Marina doesn't have decent power supply. It has never had since 30 years, Marina never enjoys good power supply

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Christistruth00: 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
Marina district used to be the heart of Lagos, and still hosts the city's most iconic towers. However, there is a stunning lack of investment in Marina compared to other areas such as Lekki, Ikeja, and Eko Atlantic. In fact, many of the iconic buildings are laying abandoned with no attempt at renovation or rehabilitation.

Marina is strategically located in between near the mainland and near many of the banking headquarters, so why is this distinct being so heavily neglected by property developers who haven't build any skyscraper here since the late 80s?

Be honest with yourself Marina ran out of Space since the 1980s.

Reclaimation of Land from the Ocean is cheaper and easier in some areas but I suspect the Water level in Marina was already too deep.

24 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2020
If only the whole of Nigeria can look like what I'm seeing above

5 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by princemillla(m): 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2020
Remove those unnecessary market on the Lagos island and see business and sanity return to that axis.

There r too many issues to tackle belive me.

All in all, sanity has left marina.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:51pm On Dec 02, 2020
Let's drive traffic o

Food is ready

Lalasticlala

Mynd44

Dominique

MrKnowItAll
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 7:51pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

My parents met themselves in Marina. Passed through or visited Marina for over 25 years. I'm providing answers based on reality

One can't go to marina or return from the mainland without spending hours on such trips. Life happened to Marina. Marina that used to be the next name after God is hardly known or acknowledged by the new generation

You are making excuses brother. If that is the reason Marina failed, then why are people building up area's like Lekki, Ikoyi and Eko Atlantic that are even further away from the mainland? If traffic was the issue, the solution would be to build more density (residential skyscrapers) at Marina so people won't have to commute to work. But Marina is full of abandoned buildings that haven't been converted into apartments and outside of the core business district in Victoria island, the area is almost like a slum.. full of short low density buildings renting for an astronomical amount.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by princemillla(m): 7:52pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:
Insane rental costs. Totally insane rental charges. Empty buildings everywhere

Marina doesn't have decent power supply. It has never had since 30 years, Marina never enjoys good power supply

U r so right about this. My house use to be at that axis close to broad street, we suffered alot. We only av lights say Sundays or evening.

7 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:53pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
You are making excuses brother. If that is the reason Marina failed, then why are people building up area's like Lekki, Ikoyi and Eko Atlantic that are even further away from the mainland? If traffic was the issue, the solution would be to build more density (residential skyscrapers) at Marina so people won't have to commute to work. But Marina is full of abandoned buildings that haven't been converted into apartments and outside of the core business district in Victoria island, the area is almost like a slum.. full of short low density buildings renting for an astronomical amount.

Lol. Bro leave Marina matter for me.

My mother and dad met at Marina almost 45 years back

Even my grandfather after service in the Navy always settles around Marina to chill. I own Marina bro. Whatever I tell you just accept

Anything I tell you about Marina just take it

9 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2020
Christistruth00:

Be honest with yourself Marina ran out of Space since the 1980s.
You don't understand real estate. Marina is full of space, we are just wasting it. Even in the picture above, you can see many short wasteful buildings. In a white country, buildings like that would have been demolished to make way for skyscrapers. That is why cities like Dubai and New York are so tall. They build taller buildings to CREATE more space.

Us Africans are very stagnant people. Even with the astronomical rents on Victoria Island, most of the buildings are still 1 --5 stories. Why shouldn't rent be astronomical in a city of 20 million people with tiny buildings? Weep for Nigeria.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2020
The Lagos state government isn't thinking. It needs to create a Marina Sequestration Plan that entails good blueprint that borders around Rentals, Power, Transportation

Mind you, with ilu birin, eko Atlantic. Dangote refinery axis, without planning, Marina would soon become Atlantis tongue

18 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Christistruth00: 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

The first time I went to Marina I was shocked there was a place as good as London in Nigeria.
There were loads of white people there too.

That was the first place I ever saw hand held computer and it Cost N213 big money then.

Nigeria has seen better days O! But God is still for us.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:56pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
You don't understand real estate. Marina is full of space, we are just wasting it. Even in the picture above, you can see many short wasteful buildings. In a white country, buildings like that would have been demolished to make way for skyscrapers. That is why cities like Dubai and New York are so tall. They build taller buildings to CREATE more space.

Us Africans are very stagnant people. Even with the astronomical rents on Victoria Island, most of the buildings are still 1 --5 stories. No wonder rent is so high. The housing stock is restricted!

You're right. I get your point

Let's delve into civil engineering and architecture and discuss from engineering perspective

Modern architecture advocates more space by creating pretty large buildings. Something Asians like Chinese and Japanese learnt timely from Western countries necessitating the design and landscape use of new locations like UAE

It wasn't too long in history technological innovation behind sky scrappers became

Mark the word " affordably available "

To Build a sky scrapper like Oriental back in the ages would gulp 200 times the cost of doing so in its original version which even recently at foundational. Level of Oriental would cost billions

To Build Oriental just to its foundation would gulp billions ad I'm not saying 10 billion. Now, how many Nigerian businesses and brand or foreign brands were willing to experiment spending billions on skyscrapers when they could easily rent space in available ones. Take a look at Savannah bank building and the likes that has been under construction for years

The high construction cost back the of buildings in Marina jerked up rental costs which ultimately pushed business costs

Cities like Dubai and UAE were built at a time, Mark the word from my in depth research on sky scrapper were built on what technology has watered down to become extremely cheaper, providing more readily available technocrats and experts unlike limited experts of the past

What I'm trying to say is building mega cities in the past was extremely expensive. Building it in the present like in UAE is extremely cheap now. Hence it's cheaper to build a new Marina now, than it was or than to refurbish. To develop Marina, more Nigerian brands needs to become much more economically viable and the economic viability would stimulate the development

Lekki and Ajah are trending because individuals within personal financial power could afford it. Average housing project 50/300m. Skyscraper 200billion starting cost. Hence it's within the means of.. Bottoming is our corporate world doesnt command the financial power to serve as backbone for a fully industrialised Marina as you would have it in the western world's and the likes

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by uptimum123(m): 7:57pm On Dec 02, 2020
We have new Marina District at Eko Atlantic

9 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by chozzy: 7:58pm On Dec 02, 2020

If not for the Lagos Island market that keeps Marina busy, that entire
axis would be dead by now.

Even the much talked about "Broad Street" of those days is today silent.

There's hope anyway with the Lagos rail line with a rail station
being planned for Marina

13 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Christistruth00: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:

Us Africans are very stagnant people. Even with the astronomical rents on Victoria Island, most of the buildings are still 1 --5 stories. Why shouldn't rent be astronomical in a city of 20 million people with tiny buildings? Weep for Nigeria.

How would you deal with all the sewage without polluting the surrounding area and water remember Marina practically almost stands on water

That will take some heavy and expensive planning and engineering skills.

Such efforts will be more useful being spent on building a railway into Marina and gradually rehabilitation of the Area in a way future generations will be able to manage

13 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:06pm On Dec 02, 2020
Christistruth00:

How would you deal with all the sewage without polluting the surrounding area and water remember Marina practically almost stands on water

Underground collection Chambers just like many buildings in Marina has underground Chambers and parking lot. Na money go talk

5 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

You're right. I get your point

Let's delve into civil engineering and architecture and discuss from engineering perspective

Modern architecture advocates more space by creating pretty large buildings. Something Asians like Chinese and Japanese learnt timely from Western countries necessitating the design and landscape use of new locations like UAE

It wasn't too long in history technological innovation behind sky scrappers became

Mark the word " affordably available "

To Build a sky scrapper like Oriental back in the ages would gulp 200 times the cost of doing so in its original version which even recently at foundational. Level of Oriental would cost billions

To Build Oriental just to its foundation would gulp billions ad I'm not saying 10 billion. Now, how many Nigerian businesses and brand or foreign brands were willing to experiment spending billions on skyscrapers when they could easily rent space in available ones. Take a look at Savannah bank building and the likes that has been under construction for years

The high construction cost back the of buildings in Marina jerked up rental costs which ultimately pushed business costs

Cities like Dubai and UAE were built at a time, Mark the word from my in depth research on sky scrapper were built on what technology has watered down to become extremely cheaper, providing more readily available technocrats and experts unlike limited experts of the past

What I'm trying to say is building mega cities in the past was extremely expensive. Building it in the present like in UAE is extremely cheap now. Hence it's cheaper to build a new Marina now, than it was or than to refurbish.
I don't like this culture of always starting over instead of finishing what we started. First, we abandon Marina for Lekki, then we abandon Lekki for Ikoyi and Banana Island. Now, we are abandoning Banana Island for Eko Atlantic. It is better to build up one place to world class standards before starting over somewhere else.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by majamajic(m): 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:

That side of island , visitors find it difficult to live there , cos of difficulties . Most people that work or have business there like come from afar
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Christistruth00: 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

Underground collection Chambers just like many buildings in Marina has underground Chambers and parking lot. Na money go talk

It is good you are thinking forward but I'm not sure it will work.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2020
Abandoned buildings in Marina:

LASACO Assurance building, Financial Trust House, Nicon House, Conoil House, Energy Global Tower, Afribank Plaza, UAC building, Unity Trust, Nigerian Post Office and so on.

But we have a housing shortage are we too stupid to convert these structures into housing? What is wrong with Nigerians.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:11pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
I don't like this culture of always starting over instead of finishing what we started. First, we abandon Marina for Lekki, then we abandon Lekki for Ikoyi and Banana Island. Now, we are abandoning Banana Island for Eko Atlantic. It is better to build up one place to world class standards before starting over somewhere else.

Honestly, banana island has become too accessible and the more economically empowered the elites of any society becomes, the more they begin to run towards the next thing.

This psyche in itself is ultimately why Africa becomes a laughing stock.

Lagos ought to have independent blueprints for Lekki/Stretching towards igbobo Ikorodu with excellent ferry transport systems

Plan for Lekki and the likes. By the way Lekki was originally earmarked as a farming no residential location mind you

Separate one for Eko Atlantic. Separate one for Marina

If any engineer with good sense of engineering takes this up, any individual should be able to create series of Municipals blueprint and system and had over to the government

Thanks for the thread. I may take it up for my own state sha since I had something of this sort on my mind for my state

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:13pm On Dec 02, 2020
Christistruth00:

It is good you are thinking forward but I'm not sure it will work.

Why won't it work. What already exists.

I know several buildings in Marina that has this existing structure sef

4 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:15pm On Dec 02, 2020
Africans, rather than brain storm ways to improve and how to. They are busying fighting themselves one against the other. Igbos can't do thus, yoruba that. Hausas the other

I won't kill myself over Nigeria lai lai

19 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Supporters Mob Tinubu At APC Presidential Screening / What Buhari And US VP Joe Biden Discussed Today at breakfast / Ademola Adeleke Becomes PDP's Senatorial Candidate, To Replace Late Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.