Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,726 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Pat Patterson Dies At 79 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Pat Patterson Dies At 79 (39796 Views)

Maurice Cooreman Dies In Belgium Aged 79 / Cristiano Ronaldo Completes 100 Juventus Games With 79 Goals And 19 Assists / Boxer, Patrick Day Dies At 27, 4 Days After Suffering Brain Injury (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 02, 2020
World Wrestling Entertainment legend and creator of the Royal Rumble, Pat Patterson, has died at age 79; the organization confirms.

“WWE extends its condolences to Patterson’s family and friends,” the company said on Wednesday in a statement; TMZ reports.

Patterson who considered himself as wrestling’s ‘first gay superstar’ was a key part of WWE for decades and he was widely known as Vince McMahon’s right-hand man.

He began wrestling career in the 1950s before he finally joined WWE in the late ’70s, where he famously engaged in a series of awesome matches with Sgt. Slaughter.

Patterson became the company’s first Intercontinental Heavyweight Champion in 1979.

He later became a colour commentator for WWE and continued to work in the ring and the booth until he retired in 1984.

At that point, Patterson joined McMahon as a WWE executive and in 1988, he pitched the idea for the Royal Rumble.

In his book, “Accepted: How the First Gay Superstar Changed WWE,” Patterson explained how the Rumble came to be.

He wrote, “The first Royal Rumble was on January 24, 1988, in Hamilton, Ontario. The difference between WWE’s Royal Rumble and a traditional ‘over-the-top-rope battle’ royal is that the participants come into the match at two-minute intervals and not all at the same time at the beginning of the match. I wanted to create something special.”

Patterson famously came out as gay during a 2014 episode of “WWE Legends House” opening up in front of guys like Roddy Piper and Jimmy Hart. It was a powerful moment.

The late wrestling legend was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1996.

However, tributes are already pouring in from stakeholders in the sector.

Triple H wrote, “No words can describe what he gave to us. His body as an in-ring performer, his mind as a storyteller, and his spirit as a beloved member of our large WWE family. I will miss him for so many reasons. It’s never goodbye, it’s see ya down the road. Love you, Pat. Abooze.”

Shane McMahon said, “I can not express how crushed I feel right now with the loss of Pat Patterson. A true member of my family, mentor and dear friend. I love you PA trueGod speed.”

Also, Jim Ross said, “Just heard of the passing this morning of the great, Pat Patterson. True legend of the pro wrestling business. A wonderful mentor who taught me so much. RIP old friend.”

While Stephanie McMahon wrote, “I’m deeply grateful to have grown up with WWE Hall of Famer, the first-ever Intercontinental Champion, the father of the #RoyalRumble and the first openly gay wrestler of his generation. Thank you for teaching me how to not take it all so seriously. Abooze.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/royal-rumble-creator-pat-patterson-dies-at-79/%3famp=1

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by majamajic(m): 9:29pm On Dec 02, 2020
Hmmmmm

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Righteousness89(m): 9:34pm On Dec 02, 2020
Condolences to the Family of Mr. Pat.

No Matter the accolades from Men and women on Earth,
No Matter the Praises and all that! He was this! He was that! It's of no use!
What Matters is what JESUS says about you, Because no Matter the achievements or age of a Man on Earth, if you Die in sin or you leave this Earth without JESUS! It would have been Better you Were not Born!
It is a Waste !! A Huge Waste!!
No Modification! Its Hell Fire Straight!!

May GOD Gift us Understanding of Eternity, so we Fearfully and Carefully live our lives here on Earth

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by MJBOLT: 9:38pm On Dec 02, 2020
you go around displaying religious stupidity everywhere undecided a family just lost a loved one and this fool is only concerned about the religion that enslaved his ancestors.

[s]
Righteousness89:

What Matters is what JESUS says about you, Because no Matter the achievements or age of a Man on Earth, if you leave this Earth without JESUS! It would have been Better you Were not Born!
It is a Waste !!

May GOD Gift us Understanding
[/s]

101 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by dapsoneh: 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
My father my father, please do me just one favor.
PLEASE, DESTROY AND DISORGANISE THE JOURNEY OF EVERY NIGERIAN POLITICIANS, GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS , POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS HOLDING DOWN AND PLAYING WITH THE DESTINIES AND JOURNEY OF EVERY NIGERIAN UNDERGRADUATE. IN JESUS NAME I PRAY (AMEN)
N:B THESE EVIL PEOPLE DID NOT SET UP COMMITTE WHEN THEY WANTED TO BUY ABOUT 500 2020 LEXUS JEEPS FOR THE HOUSE OF REPS MEMBERS AND SENATORS!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by praiseneo(m): 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
2020 Weldone your highness

4 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by iamvictorbassey: 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
One of the script writers goes to rest

6 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by HerMajestyCares(f): 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
It is good to live a Good life,

Death can come at any age.

That is why its better to know and serve God.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by iamvictorbassey: 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
Righteousness89:

What Matters is what JESUS says about you, Because no Matter the achievements or age of a Man on Earth, if you leave this Earth without JESUS! It would have been Better you Were not Born!
It is a Waste !!

Oga, I go leave earth without knowing Jesus the Israeli White Boy and nothing will happen.

Worry about yourself. Stop making Nairaland uninteresting for us with your thrash preachings about the "cumming" of one motherfuçker.

Modified:
Who even told you that if I believed in your folk stories about heaven and hell I'd pick heaven?

As far as I'm concerned heaven will be one boring fucking place going by how it's been described. It'll be a place filled with robots doing the bidding of their imaginary daddy. With all of them in white robes singing hymns from morning till evening. Who dafuq wants to do that?

I'd rather be in hell, chilling with all the big assed ladies I couldn't finish fuçking while on earth. Enjoying shows and live performances from the likes of M.J, Tupac, Biggie, and a host of others. Live sports from Kobe Bryant and the rest.

Y'all gonna buy tickets with plea to enter hell and enjoy.

Aren't you ashamed of yourself? You always come to Nairaland to type rubbish on a forum made possible by an atheist, with a mobile phone designed and created in countries where they don't serve God and your Israeli White Boy. Yet your "Hoe"ly spirit could not give you the divine wisdom to create this kinda platform? Or something creative.

Oga take time o. And stop spamming this place for us. The way I dey see you sef, na your type dey type all these rubbish from on top of different vaginàs and beer parlor. Rubbish.

I will not accept Gay Jesus, come and beat me. Dan iska kawai. Wawa!

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by PCG1: 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
ʀɨք

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by TinubuGoQuench(f): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
Indomie children won't know him

2 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by money121(m): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
Ok
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
Righteousness89:

It is a Waste !!

Would be funny if I found you in hell fire

19 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Gopro9: 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
His legacy lives on
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Houseofglam7(f): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Lukasi0: 10:03pm On Dec 02, 2020
Rest in perfect peace

1 Like

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by opencs9: 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
Never heard of him
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by dsmooth1(m): 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
issorite
rip 2d man
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by honest1480(m): 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
2020!!!!! May his rest in peace
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by opencs9: 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
Oluwasaeon:

Would be funny if I found you in hell fire
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

3 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by fdigital(m): 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
We all worship something even you the atheist !
But we practical genuine Christians believe in God and our Savior Jesus
Christ.
You think you can live your life here on earth without "Jesus"?
But you cannot afford to die without Jesus.

3 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
People die this year sha, I mean very known people. 2020 do pass abeg!
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by PROFFIRE: 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
Ha eaaayah ...Royal Rumble i love it when the ring is full with different wrestlers fighting and throwing men over board...very interesting. Thanks for the idea and inspiration from that particular game...Rest in Peace to the dead. By now, he has known and see the real meaning of Life...Blessed are they that know the meaning while still alive... there are the most successful being. A life with Christ is the true meaning of Life. give it a try...and let that emptiness you fill sometimes in your life stopped

3 Likes

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by PROFFIRE: 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2020
MJBOLT:
you go around displaying religious stupidity everywhere undecided a family just lost a loved one and this fool is only concerned about the religion that enslaved his ancestors.

[s][/s]
That's your problem...no matter the names you called the preacher. The message of salvation must not fall on your deaf ears...before you close your eyes you are using to read this today in death, because it will be too late to even modify this your comment nor to talk of repenting...it is not hard just humble yourself ask Jesus to please forgive you your sins and ask him to please reveal the truth to you...righteousness will not be there when Jesus will visit you because this is the reality of the God will serve...But you will humble yourself the more when you come around any comment that deals with message of the Cross...IT IS NOT A RELIGION, IT IS A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE GOD OF LIFE, THE MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH, YOUR CREATOR...a river that ignored it's source will one day run dry...your source is God.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2020
Righteousness89:

It is a Waste !!

Genuine question Pastor, do you have a mental illness ?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Weedhustler: 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2020
If only he never slept with someone's wife, he wouldn't have died prematurely!
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Kevinsamba: 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2020
kiss
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by AFULA(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2020
Okay
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2020
2020 just go enough is enough embarassed
Re: Pat Patterson Dies At 79 by Ratedgang: 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NFF Releases Super Eagles 25 Man Provisional List For AFCON / Ned Nwoko Gives Christian Chukwu N5 Million / Messi: "Weird Things" Are Happening At Barcelona

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.