Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,673 members, 7,801,942 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 (2803 Views)

Photos From Colonel Emmanuel Nwobosi Burial / Colonel Emmanuel Nwobosi Is Dead; Anambra State Mourns (Photos) / Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by sarrki(m): 12:11pm On Dec 03, 2020
HOW CAPTAIN EMMANUEL NWOBOSI MURDERED LADOKE AKINTOLA IN 1966

“Akintola, come down; you are for lawful arrest by the army on orders from HQ 2 Brigade,” Nwobosi shouted.

“Under arrest ke?” Akintola said to himself, “Oya, come and greet your mother’s husband,” as he cocked his gun.

When Nwobosi hit the door in an attempt to force it open, the Premier opened fire from inside his bedroom with a submachine gun, shooting contiguously and continuously through the closed door.

“Return fire,” Captain Nwobosi ordered his men, which they did, enormously.

“Please sir, surrender sir. Stop shooting, please. They only came to take us to Lagos,” Fani-Kayode pleaded and shouted from the landrover urging the Premier to cease firing and surrender. But the Premier kept on firing until he ran out of ammunition.

Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola was the 13th Aare Ona Kakanfo (Field Marshal General) of Yorubaland. A title, whose holder, according to a widely believed myth, was not expected to live long nor experience a calm death.

“Krrr, krrr,” the gun sounded. The Premier had run out of ammunition but the captain and his soldiers did not know this, they thought he was reloading and waiting for them. Akintola, now powerless, held out a white handkerchief in a sign of surrender and proceeded to the verandah. Ajao and Uloh who had been hiding in one of the other rooms grabbed him by his arms and dragged him downstairs.

“Bring him out, bring him out,” Nwobosi shouted repeatedly after the firing had ceased and he sighted his soldiers with the Premier downstairs.

“Now, now, boys. Be gentle. We are friends here,” Akintola said resignedly.

“You shot at us. You resisted arrest. It was a direct order from the HQ,” Nwobosi thundered, “we are to eliminate anyone who resisted arrest.”

“Boys, it is for the good of the country. Why don’t we negotiate? I will see to it that you treated well. I have the Prime Minister’s ears,” Akintola cajoled.

“We are soldiers, sir. We obey direct orders. Egbikor, Chukwu,” Nwobosi called his soldiers and signalled to the two men to open fire on the Premier. Fani-Kayode stared in horror as the Premier endured a deluge of bullets as he fell to his knees still gasping for breath. Nwobosi then joined them in firing at the Premier as he fell backward with a thud as life hurriedly escaped from him.

The Captain and his men then released the policemen and proceeded with Fani-Kayode in the landrover to Lagos as the 3-Ton truck headed towards Abeokuta. They all left Akintola’s mutilated body, riddled with bullets, surrounded by empty shell casings soaked in blood, lying there on the bare ground in his courtyard. The Aare Ona Kakanfo had fallen to his death. The curse persists. #HistoryVille

Source: Page 70-74, A Carnage Before Dawn, Based on Nigeria’s First Coup D’état.

You can get the soft copy (₦1000) here: https:///2FNbPWs

You can get the paperback (₦2000) here: https:///2C5NziV

Or at Rovingheights bookstores in Lagos and Abuja.

Phone: (+234) 09092158968.

Historyville
Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Arrewa: 12:13pm On Dec 03, 2020
Our history

1 Like

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Bkayyy: 12:16pm On Dec 03, 2020
They say in a pile of lies there is some elements of truth.
Two things to learn from this propaganda.
1.) Akintola resisted arrest with an SMG.
2.) Capt. Nwobosi was a good disciplined and dedicated soldier that carries out his task no matter what.
Capt. Nwobosi was a hero and diligent worker. All young men should emulate him.
Work hard in whatever you are doing. Don't give excuses

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by lamentor78(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2020
Too baf
Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by gidgiddy: 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2020
Do you think this same version is what is written in Colonel Nwobosi's book?

5 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Racoon(m): 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2020
Sarrki you have been hibernating for a very long only to come out and drop this thread? Anyway let's thrash it.

1 Like

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Racoon(m): 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2020
1966 coup plotters planned to make Awolowo Head of State — Maj-Gen.Olutoye

Did he tell you that he planned the coup to become the Head of State?

No.Infact what attracted me to Nzeogwu at the early stage when the coup was being planned was that I asked him if he was going to make himself the Head of State and he said no. He said he was going to bring a civilian who was more knowledgeable and who had what it took to make Nigeria great. I then asked him who that person was and he said the man was in Calabar prison. I said is it Chief Obafemi Awolowo? He said yes. That was why I gave him my support but when he told me it was going to involve killings, I said no I was not interested again.

If the coup had been successful, do you think Nigeria would still be where we are today?

Because I happened to have known the whole genesis of the coup, my answer to that question is, Nigeria would have become  a changed place now. Nigeria would have been one of the top countries in the world today.When he informed me about the plan when we were in India, I brought him to my room & asked many questions. I asked him why he wanted to do such a thing, what he hoped to achieve and he made some very good points.

I then said let me help you write out some things.Our plan for education then was superb, same thing for industrialisation and other good plans for the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/1966-coup-plotters-planned-make-awolowo-head-state-olutoye/%3famp=1

4 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by OritoJasi: 12:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
Bkayyy:
2.) Capt. Nwobosi was a good disciplined and dedicated soldier that carries out his task no matter what.

Right. But none of your ibo soldiers were 'heroic' and 'disciplined' enough to kill any ibo leader during that coup. Only Okotie Eboh (Urhobo), Tafawa Balewa (Northerner), Akintola (Yoruba), Ademulegun (Yoruba), Ahmadu Bello (Northerner), Sodehinde (Yoruba), Maimalari (Northerner) and the other non-ibo casualties of the coup were worthy of death. While the ibos had no single leader worthy of meeting such an end, right?

I can imagine a Northerner also justifying the subsequent targeted pogrom and countercoup against ibos that followed the coup in similar fashion. undecided

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by TooMuchStuff: 12:27pm On Dec 03, 2020
All good things must come to an end.
Death claimed him lastweek. But he tried.
Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Bkayyy: 12:36pm On Dec 03, 2020
OritoJasi:

Right. But none of your ibo soldiers were 'heroic' and 'disciplined' enough to kill any ibo leader during that coup. Only Okotie Eboh (Urhobo), Tafawa Balewa (Northerner), Akintola (Yoruba), Ademulegun (Yoruba), Ahmadu Bello (Northerner), Sodehinde (Yoruba), Maimalari (Northerner) and the other non-ibo casualties of the coup were worthy of death. While the ibos had no single leader worthy of meeting such an end, right?

I can imagine a Northerner also justifying the subsequent targeted pogrom and countercoup against ibos that followed the coup in similar fashion. undecided

So this is all you have to say after planning to make a Yoruba man in person of Obafemi Awolowo the head of state was the reason for the coup.
Infact eh,

5 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Charleys: 12:38pm On Dec 03, 2020
He ordered people to shoot, he did not shoot.

So he doesn't bear responsibility.
Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by OritoJasi: 12:42pm On Dec 03, 2020
Bkayyy:

So this is all you have to say after planning to make a Yoruba man in person of Obafemi Awolowo the head of state was the reason for the coup.
Infact eh,

Lie from pits of hell. Awolowo did not send any ibo opportunists and power hungry soldiers to murder non-ibo leaders on his behalf so that narrative of yours can't hold water.

The majority ibo plotters of that infamous coup lured their non-ibo cohorts into the plan by making it seem like their targets would include leaders of all ethnic groups. But when it came to execution time, ibo soldiers spared their own leaders while murdering the military and civilian leaders of other ethnicities.

11 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Bkayyy: 12:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
OritoJasi:

Lie from pits of hell. Awolowo did not send any ibo opportunists and power hungry soldiers to murder non-ibo leaders on his behalf so that narrative of yours can't hold water.

The majority ibo plotters of that infamous coup lured their non-ibos cohorts into the plan by making it seem like their targets would include leaders of all ethnic groups. But when it came to execution time, ibo soldiers spared their own leaders while murdering the military and civilian leaders of other ethnicities.
Go and argue with OLUTOYE (The Ọwa of Ido-ani)
https://punchng.com/1966-coup-plotters-planned-make-awolowo-head-state-olutoye/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by OritoJasi: 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2020
Bkayyy:

Go and argue with OLUTOYE (The Ọwa of Ido-ani)
https://punchng.com/1966-coup-plotters-planned-make-awolowo-head-state-olutoye/

Yeah. Same way they also 'planned' to kill ibo leaders yet no single ibo political or military leader was killed in that coup, even though ibos had more officers in the army than any other ethnicity at the time. Only a foolish person would actually buy the idea that the same plotters that were that precise in their ethnic selection of targets would end up handing over to a non-ibo.

The whole talk about handing over to Awo is a convenient afterthought. Their discriminatory execution of the coup is enough evidence of their true intent, which eventually played out when Ironsi (an ibo) emerged as the beneficiary of the coup.

10 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by nku5: 1:13pm On Dec 03, 2020
Adewale Ademoyega in his book said that Akintola was killed in the exchange of gunfire after opening fire on Nwobosi and his boys. Who wrote this fictional account? Was the writer there?

3 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2020
OritoJasi:

Please who aborted this "IGBO" COUP?

DIM EMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU.

How is this even an "IGBO " COUP when it was headed by Kaduna Nzeogwu from South south?

Common sense is indeed not common.

No matter how long the lies travels,the truth eventually catches up with it.

2 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Roger3D(m): 1:52pm On Dec 03, 2020
Bkayyy:
He was a murderer. Simple and plain! He murdered a prisoner who had already surrendered to him Now that's a war crime

5 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by 7lives: 2:37pm On Dec 03, 2020
Na war o
Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by laiperi: 2:43pm On Dec 03, 2020
HYPOCRITE!

BUSINESSARENAA:

Please who aborted this "IGBO" COUP?

DIM EMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU.

How is this even an "IGBO " COUP when it was headed by Kaduna Nzeogwu from South south?

Common sense is indeed not common.

No matter how long the lies travels,the truth eventually catches up with it.

2 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by WoeBetide666: 4:53pm On Dec 03, 2020
The day the Igbos destroyed Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by etrouble: 5:02pm On Dec 03, 2020
Traitors die miserably, do Ladoke Akintola’s death wasn’t surprising.

However, the Flattino that did the killing has his children and generations yet unborn suffer for it forever

1 Like

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Bkayyy: 5:04pm On Dec 03, 2020
Charleys:
He ordered people to shoot, he did not shoot.

So he doesn't bear responsibility.
Don't tell me you believe this crap.
Akintola was killed during shoot out with the military and He, Mr Akintola shot first. So it can be said that Capt. Nwobosi killed him in self defense.
Simple. It is written everywhere but Nairaland history revisionists always find a way to twist things especially the wailers

3 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Charleys: 8:04pm On Dec 03, 2020
nku5:
Adewale Ademoyega in his book said that Akintola was killed in the exchange of gunfire after opening fire on Nwobosi and his boys. Who wrote this fictional account? Was the writer there?

Adewale Ademoyega is an Igbo man, why would you want me to believe his book?

2 Likes

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 03, 2020
sarrki:
HOW CAPTAIN EMMANUEL NWOBOSI MURDERED LADOKE AKINTOLA IN 1966

“Akintola, come down; you are for lawful arrest by the army on orders from HQ 2 Brigade,” Nwobosi shouted.

“Under arrest ke?” Akintola said to himself, “Oya, come and greet your mother’s husband,” as he cocked his gun.

When Nwobosi hit the door in an attempt to force it open, the Premier opened fire from inside his bedroom with a submachine gun, shooting contiguously and continuously through the closed door.

“Return fire,” Captain Nwobosi ordered his men, which they did, enormously.

“Please sir, surrender sir. Stop shooting, please. They only came to take us to Lagos,” Fani-Kayode pleaded and shouted from the landrover urging the Premier to cease firing and surrender. But the Premier kept on firing until he ran out of ammunition.

Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola was the 13th Aare Ona Kakanfo (Field Marshal General) of Yorubaland. A title, whose holder, according to a widely believed myth, was not expected to live long nor experience a calm death.

“Krrr, krrr,” the gun sounded. The Premier had run out of ammunition but the captain and his soldiers did not know this, they thought he was reloading and waiting for them. Akintola, now powerless, held out a white handkerchief in a sign of surrender and proceeded to the verandah. Ajao and Uloh who had been hiding in one of the other rooms grabbed him by his arms and dragged him downstairs.

“Bring him out, bring him out,” Nwobosi shouted repeatedly after the firing had ceased and he sighted his soldiers with the Premier downstairs.

“Now, now, boys. Be gentle. We are friends here,” Akintola said resignedly.

“You shot at us. You resisted arrest. It was a direct order from the HQ,” Nwobosi thundered, “we are to eliminate anyone who resisted arrest.”

“Boys, it is for the good of the country. Why don’t we negotiate? I will see to it that you treated well. I have the Prime Minister’s ears,” Akintola cajoled.

“We are soldiers, sir. We obey direct orders. Egbikor, Chukwu,” Nwobosi called his soldiers and signalled to the two men to open fire on the Premier. Fani-Kayode stared in horror as the Premier endured a deluge of bullets as he fell to his knees still gasping for breath. Nwobosi then joined them in firing at the Premier as he fell backward with a thud as life hurriedly escaped from him.

The Captain and his men then released the policemen and proceeded with Fani-Kayode in the landrover to Lagos as the 3-Ton truck headed towards Abeokuta. They all left Akintola’s mutilated body, riddled with bullets, surrounded by empty shell casings soaked in blood, lying there on the bare ground in his courtyard. The Aare Ona Kakanfo had fallen to his death. The curse persists. #HistoryVille

Source: Page 70-74, A Carnage Before Dawn, Based on Nigeria’s First Coup D’état.

You can get the soft copy (₦1000) here: https:///2FNbPWs

You can get the paperback (₦2000) here: https:///2C5NziV

Or at Rovingheights bookstores in Lagos and Abuja.

Phone: (+234) 09092158968.

Historyville

He did well..

Captain nwobosi deserves kudos

1 Like

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by joefelin2345: 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2021
etrouble:
Traitors die miserably, do Ladoke Akintola’s death wasn’t surprising.

However, the Flattino that did the killing has his children and generations yet unborn suffer for it forever
How did he betray Awolowo? Can you swear by the Almighty God, that Awo was not guilty as charged even if his plan to topple Balewa Govt was inevitable?

1 Like

Re: How Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi Murdered Ladoke Akintola In 1966 by joefelin2345: 12:40pm On Jan 18, 2021
Charleys:

Adewale Ademoyega is an Igbo man, why would you want me to believe his book?
Oga for your information, adewale ademoyega was an Ijebu man like Awolowo while Akintola was an Oyo Yoruba person. Afemoyega was indeed supporting Awolowo his kinsman in this matter-period.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Peter Obi Collected N27billion From Diezani And Betrayed Jonathan Instead / Igbo Muslim Denied Entry To Enugu Govt House and Indigene Certificate / Missing Plane: Ibori Fooled Nigerians! : Plane Moved With Cash, Documents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.