Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

The Itsekiris. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Itsekiris. (38191 Views)

A Tribute To The Beautiful Itsekiris Of The Niger Delta / Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Itsekiris. by amarula(f): 10:34pm On May 08, 2009
ifyalways & elsie2 my very reliable[?] tutors,where have u ladies been? resume our lectures can we?
Re: The Itsekiris. by ifyalways(f): 1:30pm On May 10, 2009
lol.amarula here i come cheesy
Ugbo =forest . . . .intresting,same as igbo for farm undecided
Idimi =quarters
Ighele =adult man
Odibo =steward . .same as igbo for slave.
Ugha =compound
Ekete =throne.
Igedu =timber.
Oro= gold
Sangi =blood
Garafa =mug
more to come cheesy
Re: The Itsekiris. by joaniex: 1:52pm On Jul 03, 2009
eya! so no 1 wants 2 teach ds poor lady her language? sad sad sad
Re: The Itsekiris. by amarula(f): 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2009
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cryam i on my own?

1 Like

Re: The Itsekiris. by Beaf: 1:13am On Jul 06, 2009
What I can't understand is why the Itsekiri don't aknowledge the Oproza family from Ijaw land?

The Ijaw gave both the Urhobo and Itsekiri land, but Itsekiri's now claim Warri is their kingdom. The Itsekiri were involved in slave trade, hence they aquired a lot of (now dwindling) wealth and power over other ethnic groups. Why not tell the story of how a common thug and scoundrel Dore Numa became king of Ode Itsekiri?

Warri that has both Ijaw and Urhobo areas? An Itsekiri kingdom? Maybe we need to hear the true story of how the Itsekiri sold Urhobo's and Ijaws into slavery? The strong ties between Portugal and the Itsekiris such that one of the kings of Ode Itsekiri by the dubious name of Dom Domingos actually spent time in Portugal?

You guys ought to be ashamed. One day you will pay reparations.

"Itsekiri ( in Itsekiri (people) )
, were the first to make contact, and as a result the Itsekiri established a reputation as great traders and middlemen by supplying European manufactured goods to inland peoples in exchange for slaves and palm oil from the interior. The British colonial administration eventually broke their trade monopoly in the 1890s, however, and the, "
- http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/548245/slave-trade

1 Like

Re: The Itsekiris. by lordsloo: 4:25pm On Oct 27, 2009
Beaf:

What I can't understand is why the Itsekiri don't aknowledge the Oproza family from Ijaw land?

The Ijaw gave both the Urhobo and Itsekiri land, but Itsekiri's now claim Warri is their kingdom. The Itsekiri were involved in slave trade, hence they aquired a lot of (now dwindling) wealth and power over other ethnic groups. Why not tell the story of how a common thug and scoundrel Dore Numa became king of Ode Itsekiri?

Warri that has both Ijaw and Urhobo areas? An Itsekiri kingdom? Maybe we need to hear the true story of how the Itsekiri sold Urhobo's and Ijaws into slavery? The strong ties between Portugal and the Itsekiris such that one of the kings of Ode Itsekiri by the dubious name of Dom Domingos actually spent time in Portugal?

You guys ought to be ashamed. One day you will pay reparations.

"Itsekiri ( in Itsekiri (people) )
, were the first to make contact, and as a result the Itsekiri established a reputation as great traders and middlemen by supplying European manufactured goods to inland peoples in exchange for slaves and palm oil from the interior. The British colonial administration eventually broke their trade monopoly in the 1890s, however, and the, "
- http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/548245/slave-trade

beef as ur name implies u need to be ashamed that the ijaws were weaklings and were sold out for slavery, can the slave trade be compared to the ijaw brutal killings and even of thier own too,
Re: The Itsekiris. by ezeagu(m): 3:29pm On Oct 28, 2009
Did everybody from Nigeria come from Benin? shocked
Re: The Itsekiris. by Abagworo(m): 11:25pm On Oct 28, 2009
ezeagu:

Did everybody from Nigeria come from Benin? shocked

this baffles me too because i've heard my own grand dad make mention of us having bini links but the names seem igbo to me.from ezechima to mgbeke and others.i suspect bini probably conquered or influenced other ethnic groups around them.
Re: The Itsekiris. by ezeagu(m): 1:05am On Oct 29, 2009
Abagworo:

i suspect bini probably conquered or influenced other ethnic groups around them.

Thats probably it, Benin is too recent to have been the progenitor of that many people. . . . . Ijaw, Ikwerre, 'Anioma', Itsekiri, Onitsha all have Benin origin theories. shocked undecided
Re: The Itsekiris. by Nobody: 1:16am On Oct 29, 2009
^^ I think the Ijaws said the Binis met them there.

Binis contest that though.
Re: The Itsekiris. by ezeagu(m): 1:17am On Oct 29, 2009
tpia.:

^^ I think the Ijaws said the Binis met them there.

Binis contest that though.

Thats one theory backing the Bini out of Yoruba theory.
Re: The Itsekiris. by Nobody: 1:18am On Oct 29, 2009
ezeagu:

Thats one theory backing the Bini out of Yoruba theory.

how?
Re: The Itsekiris. by ezeagu(m): 9:28pm On Oct 29, 2009
tpia.:

how?

Yoruba ♥ Bini once upon a time. Yoruba >kicks out> Bini. Bini >wanders>. Ijaw >good samaritans> or >intimidated>. Bini gets land. >To be continued>
Re: The Itsekiris. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 29, 2009
ezeagu:

Yoruba ♥ Bini once upon a time. Yoruba >kicks out> Bini. Bini >wanders>. Ijaw >good samaritans> or >intimidated>. Bini gets land. >To be continued>

fascinating story.

Binis lived together with Yorubas and were kicked out from where?

did you dream this up or you read it somewhere.
Re: The Itsekiris. by Apoto2(f): 8:39pm On Nov 05, 2009
hi all. why d beef about Itsekiris? Am new on board but I want to enjoty ds place without beefing and rantings. To all my Itsekiri brothers and sisters, peace
Re: The Itsekiris. by Apoto2(f): 12:37pm On Nov 11, 2009
does any one know this song, e ne wa o , ene wa o, e ne wa o , etc. pls dont mind my spelling. pls complete d song for me if u know it. thanks
Re: The Itsekiris. by Apoto2(f): 7:46pm On Nov 14, 2009
Hi peep. Are u on facebook? Join the Itsekiri Community group on it. or send me yr name on fb so i can send u an invite. Love u all. Ode ju ma.
Re: The Itsekiris. by Beaf: 7:38pm On Nov 18, 2009
lordsloo:

beef as your name implies u need to be ashamed that the ijaws were weaklings and were sold out for slavery, can the slave trade be compared to the ijaw brutal killings and even of thier own too,

Stop being funny. There is no justification for selling your own kind to white people, there is no justification for evil. Own up to what is glaring, that your ancestors were slave raiders!

Having said that, there were many other individuals / ethnicities involved in slavery. It was not just the Itsekiri. Join us here to talk about slavery https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-350999.0.html
Re: The Itsekiris. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 18, 2009
Nice write-up as usual, from Mohodana.

My mom was Itsekiri, from Koko.

I always thought Itsekiri and Yoruba sound very similar. Very different customs and dressing though. Then again, Igbo and Urhobo dressing is almost the same, especially the ladies. Just goes to show how similar we are.
Re: The Itsekiris. by jorlons(m): 3:00pm On Dec 15, 2009
@beaf

A mistake was made what do you want the descendants of those who made the mistake to do
gather themselves together and commit suicide or what.

Slavery was carried out by other tribes as well but the fact still remains that there is nothing
that can be done to change what is already done.

"How I wish Nigeria was developed. How I wish the tribes in Nigeria wasn't so much (400+). If only Nigeria
wasn't among the countries who dealed on slave tradings."

These were wishes I once thought of.

BUT THE FACT REMAINS THAT NIGERIA IS DEVELOPING, HAS MORE THAN FOUR HUNDRED TRIBES, AND NIGERIA
DEALED ON SLAVE TRADE.

What am I saying? In as much as we the descendants of the Itsekiri tribe would like to erase the wrong that
was done. WE CAN'T.

SO I EXPECT EVERY TRIBE THAT SUFFERED FROM THIS SLAVE TRADE TO DEAL WITH IT AND MOVE ON.

I am tired of explaining to people about this issue.

To my fellow nairalanders. The itsekiri are great people.
Re: The Itsekiris. by chic2pimp(m): 3:54am On Sep 29, 2010
I greet Una oooo. My fellow Warri brothers smiley
Re: The Itsekiris. by amazonia(m): 2:35am On Oct 03, 2010
Itsekiri wa doo,

How are you all doing my brothers/sisters
I just want to add my two cent to the discussions.

@dere 1. your write up was quite informing. As Edo,
Itsekiri seems like edo word to me. It might have
evolved. ITSE / ISE mean amin / blessing in Bini.
KERE might have evolved to KIRI which mean place/land in Bini .
For example; wha kere ? Where did you come from?
so itsekiri in edo means BLESSED LAND.

@ beaf,
@All

Can anybody show some light on how the Edo-Uzon become Ijaw
According to ancient Edo historical stories they featured as the
uzigwe/ozigwe which is abbrevated as Uzon. Uzigwe means the
canoe paddlers or seafaring people.
Re: The Itsekiris. by jason12345: 1:45am On Nov 17, 2010
guys, can you please teach me the language?
Re: The Itsekiris. by amazonia(m): 3:16am On Nov 17, 2010
jason12345:

guys, can you please teach me the language?

What up Jason, i wont mind doing that, talk to you later.
Re: The Itsekiris. by Omenani(m): 7:36am On Nov 17, 2010
This is a very interesting thread.
Re: The Itsekiris. by jason12345: 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
amazonia:

What up Jason, i wont mind doing that, talk to you later.

let me know the time you are going to be online. thanks
Re: The Itsekiris. by amazonia(m): 6:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
jason12345:

let me know the time you are going to be online. thanks

Am usually on/off from around 6;30pm to mid-night or till i sleep.
My time is US central daylight saving time. 2hrs ahead of westcoast.
1hr behind eastcoast
Re: The Itsekiris. by PhysicsQED(m): 7:03pm On Nov 17, 2010
ezeagu:

?

Doubtful. Especially given the ethnic settlement pattern of the Ijaws.
Re: The Itsekiris. by jason12345: 12:57am On Nov 18, 2010
amazonia:

Am usually on/off from around 6;30pm to mid-night or till i sleep.
My time is US central daylight saving time. 2hrs ahead of westcoast.
1hr behind eastcoast

i am in uk.

you can start by teaching writing sentences and interpreting it. it would be much appreciated! smiley
Re: The Itsekiris. by tpia5: 5:21am On Aug 24, 2011
interesting thread. undecided
Re: The Itsekiris. by folanaira: 8:30pm On Nov 02, 2011
Thanks. Interesting read. Can you recommend any books on history of Itsekiris?
Re: The Itsekiris. by jason123: 9:37pm On Nov 02, 2011
I greet all of una! Brothers and sisters, good evening!!! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Queen Ajoke Adeyemi's 30th Birthday Party Photos / Oluwo Of Iwo Requests ₦20M For His 'Royal Wedding' To Kano Princess / "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.