Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP (29738 Views)

My Journey So Far As A Keke Rider... / Land Rover Launches V8 Edition Defender To Celebrate 70th Anniversary / Land Rover Launches Land Rover Defender Works V8 To Celebrate 70th Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by kingreign(m): 6:36am On Dec 17, 2021
Philadelphia:
If you see the Mobil and Total filling stations where I buy petrol from ehn, their structures are terribly looking with faded paints. But I trust the quality of their petrol.

Mobil no longer own retail filling stations. What you're seeing is private individuals operating using the name 'Mobil'.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by valarinz: 7:36am On Dec 17, 2021
kingreign:

Mobil no longer own retail filling stations. What you're seeing is private individuals operating using the name 'Mobil'.

That name "Mobil" still has more reputation to uphold, if the sellers of the franchise allow the guys using their "name" to rain hell on customers in the name of adulterated and bush refined fuel, then in no time the name "Mobil" will pull no more weight than the name "Stanel world"

That name alone is what puts these guys in check most times, I'm not going into the issue of pump adjustment, everyone is guilty, I'm focusing now on the quality of petrol

2 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by kingreign(m): 7:43am On Dec 17, 2021
valarinz:

That name "Mobil" still has more reputation to uphold, if the sellers of the franchise allow the guys using their "name" to rain hell on customers in the name of adulterated and bush refined fuel, then in no time the name "Mobil" will pull no more weight than the name "Stanel world"

That name alone is what puts these guys in check most times, I'm not going into the issue of pump adjustment, everyone is guilty , I'm focusing now on the quality of petrol
At bolded, I've decided to ignore their trickery and focus on getting fuel to get me to my destination. Las las dem no go dupe me reach 5k at a single dispensing.

1 Like

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by alphaNomega: 11:40am On Dec 18, 2021
kingreign:

At bolded, I've decided to ignore their trickery and focus on getting fuel to get me to my destination. Las las dem no go dupe me reach 5k at a single dispensing.
Over time the money becomes significant
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by kingreign(m): 12:21pm On Dec 18, 2021
alphaNomega:
Over time the money becomes significant

And over time, the angst and frustration and negetive vibes weight down on one more should one worry about fuel short served ...

1 Like

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by alphaNomega: 7:12am On Dec 19, 2021
kingreign:

And over time, the angst and frustration and negetive vibes weight down on one more should one worry about fuel short served ...

Buy fuel from a good dealer and save yourself all this stress

1 Like

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by OfficialDJ: 8:17am On Dec 19, 2021
kingreign:

are you morally justifying what some dubious fuel dispensers do?
Engage you in small talk to distract you. You tell them to put 10,000 naira fuel and in 3 minutes they're done. shortchanging you in hundreds or sometimes thousands worth of fuel?

Stop justifying thrash.

3 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by kingreign(m): 9:15am On Dec 19, 2021
OfficialDJ:
are you morally justifying what some dubious fuel dispensers do?
Engage you in small talk to distract you, tell them to put 10,000 naira fuel and in 3 minutes they're done shortchanging you in hundreds or sometimes thousands worth of fuel?

Stop justifying thrash.

K

1 Like

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by OfficialDJ: 9:27am On Dec 19, 2021
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by Gravatar: 10:55am On Dec 19, 2021
kingreign:

K

Lol, unexpected response. But actually a great way to deal with trolls. Remove their fangs, and they would be left with nothing.

The guy sef confuse, reply with L

grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by OfficialDJ: 6:45pm On Dec 19, 2021
Gravatar:

Lol, unexpected response. But actually a great way to deal with trolls. Remove their fangs, and they would be left with nothing.

The guy sef confuse, reply with L

grin cheesy
it's a personal cherrrie thing between me and that Abuja mechanic, you bloke.
The next letter to K is obviously L, and that L means you're a pathetic loser without a life off of nairaland
Your reasoning level is dying...
Go read a book or something..
Dweeb
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by kingreign(m): 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2021
OfficialDJ:
it's a personal cherrrie thing between me and that Abuja mechanic, you bloke.
The next letter to K is obviously L, and that L means you're a pathetic loser without a life off of nairaland
Your reasoning level is dying...
Go read a book or something..
Dweeb

I'd actually celebrate the day you type without passing across a message in a rude, crude, insulting and durogatory manner.

No offense meant.

4 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by OfficialDJ: 8:33pm On Dec 19, 2021
OfficialDJ:
L
kingreign:

I'd actually celebrate the day you type without passing across a message in a rude, crude, insulting and durogatory manner.

No offense meant.
i did...
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by SeaTrade(m): 9:47pm On Dec 19, 2021
laivwire:

Bros bros, we plenty for line oh. wink
Hello bro,good evening.
So I'm having a slight issue with my 2015 Ford ranger.
These days I find it very hard to go past 150kph(except going downhill at speeds) and it really struggles to get to 140kph sef and most times stay there no matter how hard I accelerate.
So I have been working on it since yesterday, dropped gas tank and found out the fuel filter is really clogged,clutch plate burnt(I haul heavy loads,2tonnes sometimes) ,propeller bearings were bad,oil seal bad and leaks oil and gear box mounts damaged.
Could this be the cause?Bought all replacement parts and will be done soon sha.
Steering also bent too and shakes badly at high speeds despite suspension being okay,mechanic say na bent propeller cause am and damaged gear mounts.Could this be true?
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by laivwire(m): 10:08pm On Dec 19, 2021
SeaTrade:
Hello bro,good evening.
So I'm having a slight issue with my 2015 Ford ranger.
These days I find it very hard to go past 150kph(except going downhill at speeds) and it really struggles to get to 140kph sef and most times stay there no matter how hard I accelerate.
So I have been working on it since yesterday, dropped gas tank and found out the fuel filter is really clogged,clutch plate burnt(I haul heavy loads,2tonnes sometimes) ,propeller bearings were bad,oil seal bad and leaks oil and gear box mounts damaged.
Could this be the cause?Bought all replacement parts and will be done soon sha.
Steering also bent too and shakes badly at high speeds despite suspension being okay,mechanic say na bent propeller cause am and damaged gear mounts.Could this be true?
Wow, that's a lot of damage. I'll say the clutch plate and fuel filter is a major suspect here. @bolded
The damaged propeller bearings are also likely to lead to more damage especially for the gear box mounts.

Since you've bought them all. Replace them and let's see if there's some improvement. I suspect the nozzles as well but let's see what happens first.

If you carry so much load, why don't you go for the F150? The Ranger will really struggle with so much weight.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by SeaTrade(m): 10:26pm On Dec 19, 2021
laivwire:

Wow, that's a lot of damage. I'll say the clutch plate and fuel filter is a major suspect here. @bolded
The damaged propeller bearings are also likely to lead to more damage especially for the gear box mounts.

Since you've bought them all. Replace them and let's see if there's some improvement. I suspect the nozzles as well but let's see what happens first.

If you carry so much load, why don't you go for the F150? The Ranger will really struggle with so much weight.
Practicality @ bolded.
It's easier and cheaper to run and/or replace a ranger than an F150.
Yeah I got all parts,was just too impatient to wait for results and wanted a sneek peak and to know if the mechanic is sure of what he is talking about.
Fingers crossed,let's sleep on it and see.

1 Like

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by laivwire(m): 5:30pm On Jan 08, 2022
SeaTrade:
Practicality @ bolded.
It's easier and cheaper to run and/or replace a ranger than an F150.
Yeah I got all parts,was just too impatient to wait for results and wanted a sneek peak and to know if the mechanic is sure of what he is talking about.
Fingers crossed,let's sleep on it and see.
Any progress?
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by SeaTrade(m): 5:33pm On Jan 08, 2022
laivwire:

Any progress?
Yes,every other issue addressed asides leaking oil.
They say the mechanic didn't properly fit the oil seal as they can be very complex to handle.
Mehn I just tire.
Will give my plug to do it when I come back.
Thank you for your concern.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by lawkenoz(m): 9:45am On Jan 30, 2022
laivwire:

Any progress?
Mr laivwire, sorry for messaging you on the wrong thread it was the only way I could contact you. I would love to hear your thoughts on getting a Nissan Altima 2013 model. How durable and mechanic friendly is the car in naija? Parts availability and fuel economy as well, as I intend to use it on Uber for light small hustle.

Its a common opinion among many that Nissan cars are not reliable, don't know how true it is. Please I would like to pick your brain on the matter any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by laivwire(m): 10:28am On Jan 30, 2022
lawkenoz:

Mr laivwire, sorry for messaging you on the wrong thread it was the only way I could contact you. I would love to hear your thoughts on getting a Nissan Altima 2013 model. How durable and mechanic friendly is the car in naija? Parts availability and fuel economy as well, as I intend to use it on Uber for light small hustle.

Its a common opinion among many that Nissan cars are not reliable, don't know how true it is. Please I would like to pick your brain on the matter any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I've only used the old Nissan primera from years back so no idea on the new generations. As regards the Altima brand though, I will not suggest you use that for Uber. It is a mid sedan vehicle with a larger displacement than needed. Usually 2.5 and sometimes 3.5l. That won't be economical in any way.
The CVT transmission is also not regarded as reliable and our mechanics do run from Nissans I tell you. For a 2013 car, parts won't be cheap either even if they're available.

Rule of thumb for Uber is to cut costs as much as you can with a reliable vehicle that's not too expensive with low parts and maintenance costs, great reliability and excellent gas mileage. I will strongly dissuade you from going the Nissan route.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by lawkenoz(m): 10:40am On Jan 30, 2022
laivwire:

I've only used the old Nissan primera from years back so no idea on the new generations. As regards the Altima brand though, I will not suggest you use that for Uber. It is a mid sedan vehicle with a larger displacement than needed. Usually 2.5 and sometimes 3.5l. That won't be economical in any way.
The CVT transmission is also not regarded as reliable and our mechanics do run from Nissans I tell you. For a 2013 car, parts won't be cheap either even if they're available.

Rule of thumb for Uber is to cut costs as much as you can with a reliable vehicle that's not too expensive with low parts and maintenance costs, great reliability and excellent gas mileage. I will strongly dissuade you from going the Nissan route.

Thanks bro! I'll try dissuading my elder brother from Nissan products henceforth. Though he claims to have a solid mechanic for them. All the cars he brought in are Nissan products and my options on pickings are limited to Nissan, the other options are Nissan rouge 2010 and Nissan Sentra 2011, 2010 and 2009. I hate the Sentra and rouge they are funny looking.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:44am On Feb 01, 2022
Service update.

- Brake pads
- Alternator
- Front driver shocks + links
- Engine oil change
- Complete tyre replacement

Transmission oil still in good shape, didn't change. Had some parts I already bought, so all of this came out to about - 190k.

Till next time.

7 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by mejai(m): 2:36pm On Feb 01, 2022
HeavenlyBang:
Service update.

- Brake pads
- Alternator
- Front driver shocks + links
- Engine oil change
- Complete tyre replacement

Transmission oil still in good shape, didn't change. Had some parts I already bought, so all of this came out to about - 190k.

Till next time.
How is our chic (infiniti) doing?
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:44pm On Feb 01, 2022
mejai:

How is our chic (infiniti) doing?

Sold.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by mejai(m): 2:46pm On Feb 01, 2022
HeavenlyBang:

Sold.
Awww! U really pampered her.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:44am On Feb 02, 2022
mejai:

Awww! U really pampered her.

Every great romance must come to an end, sadly.

1 Like

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:11am On Feb 21, 2022
Last starter motor I bought failed catastrophically.
Remanned the old one and we're back in business.

If this fails, I'll just have to import a brand new OE part.

Have to say, though: having the starter motor beneath the car is a pain in the ass.

Till next time.

3 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by Emmanslinks: 11:12am On Mar 01, 2022
Good day, my name is Adedeji Emmanuel am a graduate and am interested in a car for hire purchase or rental, to be used for bolt ride. I'm an excellent driver with 10 years driving experience, I'm trustworthy, conscientious, hardworking and resilient so dealing with different kind of people won't be a problem. Also have a valid drivers license. I reside at Agbowo in Ibadan. I would be interested if anyone who had a bolt friendly car who reach out. Please call 08059748093.
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by tsiriman(m): 1:11pm On Mar 07, 2022
HeavenlyBang:
Last starter motor I bought failed catastrophically.
Remanned the old one and we're back in business.

If this fails, I'll just have to import a brand new OE part.

Have to say, though: having the starter motor beneath the car is a pain in the ass.

Till next time.

I believe your car requires premium fuel, how do you go around that requirement considering we don't have that in-country ?
Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:33am On Mar 08, 2022
tsiriman:

I believe your car requires premium fuel, how do you go around that requirement considering we don't have that in-country ?

Doesn't require. It's a very understressed engine with a low compression ratio.

2 Likes

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:21pm On Mar 09, 2022
We all need big friends to protect us.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP by 9icetoo(m): 9:58pm On Mar 09, 2022
HeavenlyBang:
We all need big friends to protect us.
See how e dwarf the Benz.

These muscle cars are really buff.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Drunk Driver And His Car Somersault In Lagos (Photos) / Young Boy Killed By Trailer In Orile (GRAPHIC PIC) / Man Caught 'Driving Without A Steering Wheel'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.