Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,732 members, 7,806,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? (60565 Views)

The Battle Of The Phone Brands (come Check Yours) / Less Popular Phone Brands Help & Solutions / Android Warning Over 13 Popular Phone Games – Uninstall Them NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by meobizy(f): 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2020
All the brands are alive and kicking. It’s Alcatel I’ll need a Google search to know their status. Nigerians only care for cheap disposable products so Chinese and Korean brands have flooded the market.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Depressed101: 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:
Way back in 2009/2012, a Blackberry device was on everybody's wishlist. Those Blackberry people use our eyes see pepper that year. Any small thing, "ping me!" "What's your BB pin?" People just assumed that you a BB device. Even the notification sound from BBM alone made some people feel like they have made it, Lol. Then from 2012/2013, the brand began to die. I think people moved to Android devices and iPhones. It was even after the whole Blackberry trend ended I got to use one.

There were other popular phone brands, too, that just suddenly went under the radar. What happened to these brands: HTC, Blackberry, LG, Sony, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Alcatel? I think Nokia is recently trying to pick up. Those guys made cool devices back then.

Modified: I know some of these brands still make phones, but I'm talking about market share and dominance.
branding and marketing innovation happened
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by figoperch: 6:23pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ezenwa12345:
Do you investigation before posting, LG , Motorola did one of the best phone 2020 the only thing is that market is no longer coming from Nigeria because Nigeria phone market is flooded with cheap phone, like itel, tecno , infinitx , redmi

We now use sachet economy phones.
VFM phones

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Dracking(m): 6:24pm On Dec 09, 2020
Abudu2000:
by their" do u mean htc? Htc were almost the 1st in the android game bru. Their 1st fone came out around 2009 way earlier than 2014. Their htc m8 was released 014 i used it through 016. Htc fones were very solid but packed the worse batteries on earth. Their batteries were beyond terrible!!
I was talking about Nokia
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by figoperch: 6:24pm On Dec 09, 2020
Depressed101:
branding and marketing innovation happened

It's purely about purchasing power.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by abbaemma: 6:25pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sony xperia phones are beautifully and wonderfully made. You need to see the picture taken with an xperia, it's wonderful. But the phones expensive die and the parts are very hard to find....

Did you know that Apple buy their camera lens and sensors from Sony

9 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Dracking(m): 6:26pm On Dec 09, 2020
imhotep:

I dunno what brand of weed those Nokia people are smoking
[size=8pt][/size][b][/b] Hahahahaha
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Nchenches: 6:27pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:
Way back in 2009/2012, a Blackberry device was on everybody's wishlist. Those Blackberry people use our eyes see pepper that year. Any small thing, "ping me!" "What's your BB pin?" People just assumed that you a BB device. Even the notification sound from BBM alone made some people feel like they have made it, Lol. Then from 2012/2013, the brand began to die. I think people moved to Android devices and iPhones. It was even after the whole Blackberry trend ended I got to use one.

There were other popular phone brands, too, that just suddenly went under the radar. What happened to these brands: HTC, Blackberry, LG, Sony, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Alcatel? I think Nokia is recently trying to pick up. Those guys made cool devices back then.

Modified: I know some of these brands still make phones, but I'm talking about market share and dominance.

HTC better pass IPhone. HTC is still popular in other countries.

You know how Nigerians go for newintown but can’t manufacture toothpicks.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by ogundeleai(m): 6:28pm On Dec 09, 2020
This reminds me of Samsung T100 in those days.. The phone was Sold as high as 50k without internet access..
The major feature is flip, 'Samsung, ẹni kure'

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Adesolomon2014(m): 6:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:

Sendo X & MY-X7 that year hennn

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by MediMedi(m): 6:30pm On Dec 09, 2020
I'm currently using symbian Nokia E63.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 6:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
All I can say is that their time have passed
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Kokaine(m): 6:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Buzx:
They couldn't keep up with the trend.
BlackBerry didnt know how to stoop in order to conquer
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Lamasta(m): 6:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
I miss my BB Bold 5 back then grin
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by hormodupsy(f): 6:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
Seems like revolution happened
Buzx:
They couldn't keep up with the trend.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by kayzeesoft(m): 6:39pm On Dec 09, 2020
NewBeijing:
Those phones are actually far beyond your regular infinix and Tecno. The costs are high and the functions are worth it. You should see a picture taken with a Sony Ericson phone
Sony Xperia 5 II
Then you'll know what a camera is
This phone earn 100% point on versus.com

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Dracking(m): 6:41pm On Dec 09, 2020
chatinent:
Google killed them. Ask me how.
[b][/b][size=8pt][/size]HOW
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by HaBaE(m): 6:41pm On Dec 09, 2020
What about INNJOO dat wan went in between radar
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by dominion001(m): 6:42pm On Dec 09, 2020
A lot of women collect because of this phone sha..

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by mountmoriah(m): 6:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ezenwa12345:
Do you investigation before posting, LG , Motorola did one of the best phone 2020 the only thing is that market is no longer coming from Nigeria because Nigeria phone market is flooded with cheap phone, like itel, tecno , infinitx , redmi
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
Dracking:
They didn't follow the trend. Nokia instead of moving to android went to windows

If Nokia started with Androids back then, they would have made name better than their position now. Windows OS didn't pay them well.

4 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Maikel26(m): 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2020
[quote author=edoairways post=96885953]
Blackberry didnt die because of that. These are the main reasons Why they died;
1.Ignoring Touchscreen
A key reason to BlackBerry’s failure is their ignorance in choosing to stick with the Querty keyboard whilst leaders like Apple provided a full touchscreen interface to which consumers preferred. Although previously BlackBerry’s had been popular due to their ease of use with instant messaging and firing off quick emails through the keyboard and scrolling ball.

2.Underestimating the competition
Perhaps BlackBerrys greatest issue was its lack of respect for competition. While all the tumult and evolution was happening on the Android and Apple front, BlackBerry was more concerned with protecting what it already had instead of conquering new lands. It[/quot

Z10, Z30 Q10, e.t.c were all touch screen

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Gwagone: 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2020
Watch out 2021
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Dracking(m): 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2020
emmachukwu99:

If Nokia started with Androids back then, they would have made name better than their position now. Windows OS didn't pay them well.

I agree it sad tho no more snake game

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by kingxsamz(m): 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:

Remove LG, Sony and Motorola from that list.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Demonicide(f): 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
NewBeijing:
Those phones are actually far beyond your regular infinix and Tecno. The costs are high and the functions are worth it. You should see a picture taken with a Sony Ericson phone
Sony Xperia 5 II
Then you'll know what a camera is
For sure. I currently use of LG v60 dual screen

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by AmuDimpka: 6:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:

Have you looked at the mobile phone market share? It's not about making phones. You said Motorola did one of the best phone of 2020, how many people bought the device, even in Europe? What happened to their sales and market. That's the question. It's not by making one good device.

The truth is those companies still make good phone, but their market is dying or already dead. Go and look at most of HTC latest device, almost all the new device comes with weak Helio A20, P23 chipset, maybe this is one of the reasons, too.

Nigeria is flooded with cheap phones with no type setting authorisation... We use cheap phones in Nigeria and we can't afford motorola, simens and other top notch phones trust me

Widely beloved in the US since the good old Razr days, Motorola essentially doubled its regional market share between Q1 2018 and Q1 2019, according to the Counterpoint Research records. The latest preliminary Kantar report suggests the brand had a great second quarter as well, and although its 8 percent slice of the pie doesn't feel as impressive as, say, the 145 million phones it sold around the world back in 2005, it's definitely something that could one day lead to... something bigger.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Barbsamiin: 6:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
chukwuibuipob:
angry those pipu that [b]wear waist bead [/b]won’t allow u to rest if u dnt buy it for dem. Come see how dem Dey use their artificial nail Dey press buttons
How did you know they wear beads?
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by AmuDimpka: 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:

You're very correct. But these days people go for Samsung, Huawei, iPhones, Xiaomi instead. That's the question. Those old guys still make good phones, but people don't really buy them like before. You can't even get the lastest HTC from jumia. Even in Europe, these old brands have lost a large amount of their market.

These guys make fantastic phones ... Till date and they aren't looking at mass market but niche market

HTC, siemens, motorola and alcatel phones are bomb

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ckmilly22(m): 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
Wow I really enjoy using bb q5 the phone smart die
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by oby3ce(m): 7:00pm On Dec 09, 2020
Most of those companies have no sort of partnership with Nigeria, hence it would be difficult to have their phone brought into the country.
If you need to know, whether phones are still produced by such brands. Visit GSMARENA.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by abimic(m): 7:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sony!! did you say sony went under the radar? Which phones do we have in nigeria that can match sony. Infinix, tecno and itel abi na Xiaomi.... Nigeria market does not favor sony, hence low publicity. I used sony, won one of their big screen plasma TVs, and their products gave me no issue. xperia xz, Xperia 5 11 amongst other sony phones are top notch phones. Sony still produces phone wella. HTC, Sony, LG, Nokia never went under any radar as they are still producing phones well, only BB went under the radar and they claimed to be coming back soon. My next phone should be one of the xperias God willing. My friend in Germany even uses Xperia.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2gb Free Data From Etisalat. / How To Deactivate/delete 2go Account / Top 5 Reason Why Tecno Is Still The Worst Android Phone Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.