Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? (60567 Views)

The Battle Of The Phone Brands (come Check Yours) / Less Popular Phone Brands Help & Solutions / Android Warning Over 13 Popular Phone Games – Uninstall Them NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Naijaarchive(m): 9:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
Lol Sony, LG, Motorola, Nokia still making bad ass phones now
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Dollanaira: 9:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
Oh
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Mypeople2(m): 9:05pm On Dec 09, 2020
NewBeijing:
Those phones are actually far beyond your regular infinix and Tecno. The costs are high and the functions are worth it. You should see a picture taken with a Sony Ericson phone
Sony Xperia 5 II
Then you'll know what a camera is
Gbam! I support your comment with a carton of wine
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Miner13: 9:08pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kenny242:
sad FTC WowWow [b]Am happy[/b]Am happy grin
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by goodheart02(m): 9:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
amstamon:

Storm1 is not a fully touch screen, it's a confused screen Button. The screen itself click and sink when operating. I don't even know how I could explain it sef. grin

My brother I understand u. The phone has a confused destiny. Imagine phone wey u go press the screen and e go sink dey sound kpokom kpokom
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by larryking540: 9:18pm On Dec 09, 2020
nonhuman:
I lost the only girl I ever loved because of BB

you for try ask her ,how far ,how market ,
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by wewe1(m): 9:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ezenwa12345:
Do you investigation before posting, LG , Motorola did one of the best phone 2020 the only thing is that market is no longer coming from Nigeria because Nigeria phone market is flooded with cheap phone, like itel, tecno , infinitx , redmi

Kindly remove Xiaomi Redmi from this category, they don't belong to same category. Xiaomi Redmi is a global brand and way ahead of these phones you listed above. Also way ahead of LG, Motorola, Lenovo, Oppo, even Nokia.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ganjafama(m): 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
SmartPolician:

A phone of almost $1k

Who's using this phone, please?
If person lost this kind of phone e go mourn for nearly one month o! grin

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by victorix(m): 9:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ezenwa12345:

HTC stopped making phone after HTC one, Don't lecture me on phones. Huawei sold more phones than iPhone this year. How many people have you seen using Huawei compared to iPhone. Because the majority of iPhone that is sold in Wes Africa is second hand phone, which Huawei is selling first Hand base on majority. Do you want to talk about phone spec or what?. Chinese and India covers African market alone, so if Huawei is selling 80% of there phone in Asia , it still cover West Africa market. iPhone is not distributed in West Africa, and Samsung low budget phone is what is sold here .

I never mentioned anything about iPhones or Huawei. My point is, likes of LG, HTC, Motorola, Sony are in the 2.78% of mobile phone global market share. What does that say? They ain't as dominating as they used to be!! They have lost market share over the years. They also produce budget phones, maybe excluding Sony. Only Samsung has a whopping 30% market share, Apple 28.19%.

Check out this article.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-are-Sony-smartphones-not-popular-anymore_id113661
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Godasco: 9:39pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ezenwa12345:
Do you investigation before posting, LG , Motorola did one of the best phone 2020 the only thing is that market is no longer coming from Nigeria because Nigeria phone market is flooded with cheap phone, like itel, tecno , infinitx , redmi
Exactly!!. But that is due to our poor standard of living. Those brands are actually selling where they can be afforded

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Slazim: 9:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
edoairways:

Yes they did introduce touch screen together with qwerty key.
I used a torch 3 then, it was a full touchscreen phone.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ademoore07(m): 9:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
Is there anyone that had laid hands on ZTE phones? That maker are the real deal. They were just releasing high end and cheaper 5G Devices. Realme and Oneplus are very good though.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by DAVE5(m): 9:45pm On Dec 09, 2020
juniorstar:
Sony phones are dope.

Until “sudden death” hits the phone

About 2 of my Sony phone became totally useless and that was end of Sony for me

Even my note 8 went off one day, found a repairer, he said nothing could be done about it, i jejely ported to cheapest oppo then to a more expensive oppo, I think I’ve ported out of Samsung too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Richykaycee(m): 9:47pm On Dec 09, 2020
Is just that my 9ja youth like chinko(china malware phone)my guy buy LG london use,baseless 85k, with the new one at 220k
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by DAVE5(m): 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
NewBeijing:
Those phones are actually far beyond your regular infinix and Tecno. The costs are high and the functions are worth it. You should see a picture taken with a Sony Ericson phone
Sony Xperia 5 II
Then you'll know what a camera is

I’ve come to accept the fact that all the gimmicks a phone offers are only head turning on the first few days of usage, after that you go back to basic use and forget the gimmicks i.e. camera quality, edge, stylus, wallpaper, ringtone

My point: in the end, all Android smartphones turn out to be the same except performance creeps in like lagging, ALL iPhones too are the same

So I just buy whatever my money can afford

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by drezzyx(m): 9:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Iphones now the latest trend.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by 9wila: 9:56pm On Dec 09, 2020
The iPhone 11 Max specs
[urlhttps://9wila.com/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-specs-review-and-price-in-zambia][/url]
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Dracking(m): 10:07pm On Dec 09, 2020
Loner97:
nokia has smart andriod phones
they picked up recently alas too late
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Deicide: 10:13pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ademoore07:
Is there anyone that had laid hands on ZTE phones? That maker are the real deal. They were just releasing high end and cheaper 5G Devices. Realme and Oneplus are very good though.
I love one plus but they hardly reduce price on their phone if it's 10k today it's 10k next 10 years

Also the Redmagic 5g from ZTE is a gaming beast

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by confydoedowaye(m): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
What of Bird and NEC
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Tswata1992: 10:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
HTC still on
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by ayenale1(m): 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
Im currently using Sagem android...

NEC open and close that year

BIRD that year...indomie generation will never fathom
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by victorix(m): 10:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
khingTony:
LG
Motorola
Sony

Those three are still very active even in the flagship business

They are active, but not as they were once. Those guys were kings of smartphone. Sony and LG markets are struggling; HTC, too. Motorola was sold to Lenovo. Nokia is trying to pickup.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-are-Sony-smartphones-not-popular-anymore_id113661

https://www.phonearena.com/news/why-LG-smartphones-lost-popularity_id113493

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ezenwa12345(m): 10:59pm On Dec 09, 2020
wewe1:

Kindly remove Xiaomi Redmi from this category, they don't belong to same category. Xiaomi Redmi is a global brand and way ahead of these phones you listed above. Also way ahead of LG, Motorola, Lenovo, Oppo, even Nokia.

The Xiaomi we get here is like the Samsung we have here , low budget, that's what I'm trying to say . We can't afford it , how many people can afford a phone of 300k+ which is not second or London use phone..
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ezenwa12345(m): 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2020
authority2006:

Firstly, Huawei didn't sell more than iPhone this year 2020. Where is your evidence?

Secondly, the point still remains the fact the likes of LG, Motorola, HTC as at today on global scale have infinitesimal market share be it in Africa, Asia, Europe or America. No way to spin that fact.
I don't argue trash follow this link
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

Then come back and call me Sir
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ezenwa12345(m): 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
Flytime:
wrong
If you go to wikipedia and check iPhones and regions they were released to, nigeria is always part expect for few older devices
They have stores in nigeria,I think mostly in malls
Samsung also have stores in nigeria and they sell the latest devices,leave your house and the slot in your neighborhood before coming to conclusions

Even slot had their devices but mostly keeps them Indoors because most people won't buy

If apple starts selling their old devices brand new in nigeria they'll start opening stores everywhere because people would start patronizing them but for example the 7 isn't sold in their stores anymore and how many people can afford the 8 upward ?

Let me tell apple is making their money clean in nigeria, people can afford it
Do you think davido or our politicians but fairly used?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

Come back and call me Sir
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by MrChriz: 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2020
victorix:
Way back in 2009/2012, a Blackberry device was on everybody's wishlist. Those Blackberry people use our eyes see pepper that year. Any small thing, "ping me!" "What's your BB pin?" People just assumed that you a BB device. Even the notification sound from BBM alone made some people feel like they have made it, Lol. Then from 2012/2013, the brand began to die. I think people moved to Android devices and iPhones. It was even after the whole Blackberry trend ended I got to use one. Op u forgot to add Gionee.....I heard dey are bankrupt now, der own used d company to play 4 odd..d ticket con cast

There were other popular phone brands, too, that just suddenly went under the radar. What happened to these brands: HTC, Blackberry, LG, Sony, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Alcatel? I think Nokia is recently trying to pick up. Those guys made cool devices back then.

Modified: I know some of these brands still make phones, but I'm talking about market share and dominance.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Buzx: 11:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
Naijaarchive:
Lol Sony, LG, Motorola, Nokia still making bad ass phones now

Old glory. Those guys hold a very tiny percentage of the smart phone market. Samsung and iPhone are the present king.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Naijaarchive(m): 11:19pm On Dec 09, 2020
Buzx:

Old glory. Those guys hold a very tiny percentage of the smart phone market. Samsung and iPhone are the present king.

You are judging by Nigeria market... I would choose a LG/Sony over Samsung tho
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Buzx: 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2020
Naijaarchive:

You are judging by Nigeria market... I would choose a LG/Sony over Samsung tho

Not Nigerian market, but global market. Go find out. Of course, I will also choose a Sony or an LG over Samsung, too.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ance4Liverpool: 11:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
Those phones Don enter monopos
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Naijaarchive(m): 11:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
Buzx:

Not Nigerian market, but global market. Go find out. Of course, I will also choose a Sony or an LG over Samsung, too.

Well no doubt... Bt Asians are trying in technology o

grin grin Samsung is too fragile abeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2gb Free Data From Etisalat. / How To Deactivate/delete 2go Account / Top 5 Reason Why Tecno Is Still The Worst Android Phone Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.