Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,010 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? (60551 Views)

The Battle Of The Phone Brands (come Check Yours) / Less Popular Phone Brands Help & Solutions / Android Warning Over 13 Popular Phone Games – Uninstall Them NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Buzx: 11:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
Naijaarchive:

grin grin Samsung is too fragile abeg

Lol, true. But if your Sony screen break, just go and get a new phone. The screen is expensive as fk.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Naijaarchive(m): 11:39pm On Dec 09, 2020
Buzx:

Lol, true. But if your Sony screen break, just go and get a new phone. The screen is expensive as fk.

grin grin
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Flytime: 11:42pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ademoore07:
It is not about weed bro. The day nokia was sold to Microsoft corporation, they dug their own grave. Bill Gate couldn't give users the necessary software updates. I think they resell it to another firm that later changed it into android device.
they resold nokia mobile to hmd global but hmd decided to keep the name probably since it brings back memories

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Flytime: 11:47pm On Dec 09, 2020
Olayetan:
what actually killed BB is the license of BBM they sold out, it's like you selling your uniqueness to other brands, they won't patronize you anymore cux they know you aren't the only one having that feature.

if BB didn't give license to Android over BBM, we might not even know apple and android today cux many people would still want to continue to PING cux of that BBM...

I missed that device tho...
exactly, imessage and facetime made iPhones popular then unlike now that more and more people choose whatsapp over it and ios is now good enough and has a lot of features people can't leave it for

Then imessage and facetime was the key when android was still struggling in those aspects
If blackberry held on to bbm
Now bbm might not even be the main thing,brand loyalty would have set in and blackberry would probably be like the way iphones are in people's mind right now
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Flytime: 11:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
goodheart02:

They wanted to look different, but that was their greatest mistake
Nokia's mistake wasn't only with windows,it started with symbian

They invested a lot on that failed is which rained for a short while before android which was wayy smarter and better came to the mobile world

Them instead of improving the is and copying ideas from android they moved to windows which was an os nobody liked or wanted to use plus it has very limited features compared to android and ios
I personally loved the home screen and store design especially the Xbox store but that couldn't make up for it's other short comings
App support was another major factor,that's why huawei is doing it's best to get developers to creat apps for it's device
Their new os would most likely be able to install android apps plus they might have to get license and pay google for their services like maps, mails and the likes on their phones because there's no way they can compete with google In some aspects especially in that map area and youtube
Infact in most if not all googled services
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Flytime: 11:57pm On Dec 09, 2020
Naijaarchive:

Well no doubt... Bt Asians are trying in technology o

grin grin Samsung is too fragile abeg
for a second there I thought apple had a higher net worth than samsung untill I saw mobile because smasungs combine networth would blow apple away
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by emmy9500: 1:34am On Dec 10, 2020
davillian:

HTC still sells in America , same with Motorola but these phones are no more selling like before....
Blackberry messed up
Blackberry was like a what's app company that also produces it's phone......

Bros, HTC isn't producing phones (atleast under the brand name). They produce google pixels sha
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ryan03(f): 1:57am On Dec 10, 2020
Ezenwa12345:
Do you investigation before posting, LG , Motorola did one of the best phone 2020 the only thing is that market is no longer coming from Nigeria because Nigeria phone market is flooded with cheap phone, like itel, tecno , infinitx , redmi
you nor want make poor man like us buy phone ba? I am coming for you tongue
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by manneger2: 2:37am On Dec 10, 2020
ElScopio:

Rubbish
He's talking about sales and dominance not latest phone
Man that some phones are not selling in Nigeria doesn't mean is so every country, no body knows Tecno or infinix in Dubai, Sony Xperia sells more so get the point

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by manneger2: 2:45am On Dec 10, 2020
I see people saying BB shouldn't have sold BBM, Hello BB is already fading out before they decided to sell BBM, if they didn't sell it then they will regret not selling it.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by AFONJACOW(m): 2:49am On Dec 10, 2020
They couldn't keep up, despite having better functioning than current Android phones we are using now... They lack good remodifications
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by mapet: 4:34am On Dec 10, 2020
victorix:
Way back in 2009/2012, a Blackberry device was on everybody's wishlist. Those Blackberry people use our eyes see pepper that year. Any small thing, "ping me!" "What's your BB pin?" People just assumed that you a BB device. Even the notification sound from BBM alone made some people feel like they have made it, Lol. Then from 2012/2013, the brand began to die. I think people moved to Android devices and iPhones. It was even after the whole Blackberry trend ended I got to use one.

There were other popular phone brands, too, that just suddenly went under the radar. What happened to these brands: HTC, Blackberry, LG, Sony, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Alcatel? I think Nokia is recently trying to pick up. Those guys made cool devices back then.

Modified: I know some of these brands still make phones, but I'm talking about market share and dominance.

Simple!
Open Source Android OS happened, leading to open platform technology and flexibility of Apps deployment, as such power was given to many players to deploy apps on platform, while these traditional ones suddenly found themselves in catch-up zone. Even Microsoft phones could hardly make it
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by mapet: 4:35am On Dec 10, 2020
manneger2:
I see people saying BB shouldn't have sold BBM, Hello BB is already fading out before they decided to sale BBM, if they didn't sale it then they will regret not selling it.

Bros,

Sale is a noun; sell a verb

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by zedegit: 4:37am On Dec 10, 2020
victorix:
Way back in 2009/2012, a Blackberry device was on everybody's wishlist. Those Blackberry people use our eyes see pepper that year. Any small thing, "ping me!" "What's your BB pin?" People just assumed that you a BB device. Even the notification sound from BBM alone made some people feel like they have made it, Lol. Then from 2012/2013, the brand began to die. I think people moved to Android devices and iPhones. It was even after the whole Blackberry trend ended I got to use one.

There were other popular phone brands, too, that just suddenly went under the radar. What happened to these brands: HTC, Blackberry, LG, Sony, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Alcatel? I think Nokia is recently trying to pick up. Those guys made cool devices back then.

Modified: I know some of these brands still make phones, but I'm talking about market share and dominance.

Hahaha. What of bird?

I got to buy bb because they were offering free browsing. My guy downloaded Spartacus so I said let me buy my own but it seemed they stopped free browsing immediately I bought! cry
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by manneger2: 4:44am On Dec 10, 2020
mapet:

Bros,

Sale is a noun; sell a verb
ok Sir noted
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by kunkelhanspeter(m): 5:15am On Dec 10, 2020
davillian:

In 2008 blackberry has a touch screen phone storm1...
I followed and used thier phones from 2008 to 2013

Bold5 is even touch screen at least I used it back then
My first smart phone 2014
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Ademoore07(m): 5:19am On Dec 10, 2020
Flytime:
the resold nokia mobile to hmd global but hmd decided to keep the name probably since it brings back memories
Keeping the name was the best decision made. Unfortunately, their low end products are even expensive.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by kunkelhanspeter(m): 5:37am On Dec 10, 2020
Flytime:
wrong
If you go to wikipedia and check iPhones and regions they were released to, nigeria is always part expect for few older devices
They have stores in nigeria,I think mostly in malls
Samsung also have stores in nigeria and they sell the latest devices,leave your house and the slot in your neighborhood before coming to conclusions

Even slot has their devices but mostly keeps them Indoors because most people won't buy

If apple starts selling their old devices brand new in nigeria they'll start opening stores everywhere because people would start patronizing them but for example the 7 isn't sold in their stores anymore and how many people can afford the 8 upward ?

Let me tell apple is making their money clean in nigeria, people can afford it
Do you think celebrities or our politicians buy fairly used?

You can’t buy from Apple website and ship to Nigeria like other countries do.
I guess that what his trying to say
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by firstratedcitiz(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2020
Far beyond or far above? If your point is that those phones of yesteryears were better than some of the modern ones, then they should be "far above", and not far beyond.
NewBeijing:
Those phones are actually far beyond your regular infinix and Tecno. The costs are high and the functions are worth it. You should see a picture taken with a Sony Ericson phone
Sony Xperia 5 II
Then you'll know what a camera is
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by shugabasbn: 8:33am On Dec 10, 2020
They say change is a constant thing, if u cant keep on with evolution u will become natural obsolete. Till today I still respect China phones like Infinix n Tecno. Those guys keeping on changing like APC and Bandits
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by chatinent: 9:37am On Dec 10, 2020
Dracking:
[b][/b][size=8pt][/size]HOW

When they developed Android OS.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Chubbyface: 10:32am On Dec 10, 2020
They were unable to keep up with the competition. E nor easy. One reason I still admire the likes of tecno for their consistency

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by Iamfragile: 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2020
SmartPolician:

A phone of almost $1k

Who's using this phone, please?

As i dey look the phone itself e dey vex me. Maybe it's because of the price or there's more to it I don't know. But i just know say if you buy this kind phone for me i no go appreciate you.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by SmartPolician: 12:13pm On Dec 10, 2020
Iamfragile:

As i dey look the phone itself e dey vex me. Maybe it's because of the price or there's more to it I don't know. But i just know say if you buy this kind phone for me i no go appreciate you.

Funny grin grin

They say it's a 5G phone; that's why it's expensive

1 Like

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by rutujap: 12:37pm On Dec 10, 2020
Looks very much like 4G feature phones like JioPhone. https://www.jio.com/index.html
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by ElScopio: 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2020
davillian:

HTC still sells in America , same with Motorola but these phones are no more selling like before....
Blackberry messed up
Blackberry was like a what's app company that also produces it's phone......
How many % market share does htc have in the world? Is it up to 0.5%??
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by OctoberEleven: 2:17pm On Dec 10, 2020
They couldn't keep up with the competition. Evolving and keeping up is underated. Brands like Tecno that have continued to stay relevant should be applauded

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by NewBeijing(f): 8:17pm On Dec 10, 2020
firstratedcitiz:
Far beyond or far above? If your point is that those phones of yesteryears were better than some of the modern ones, then they should be "far above", and not far beyond.
I meant they were better. Thanks for correcting me
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by THMT: 7:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
SmartPolician:

A phone of almost $1k

Who's using this phone, please?

You didn't add shipment. $1,141 X 480 naira = Over half a million naira.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by edoairways: 1:00pm On Dec 12, 2020
davillian:

You were not following up on BB
There was a touch screen phone which runs android play store and BB store...
Z30, p9982, z3, leap, dtek, and aurora...these phones werr full touch and
Some runs on full android...
The assertions I gave I verified fact, I would have put a linked video so back it up but I may get banned.
Re: What Happened To These Popular Phone Brands? by edoairways: 1:02pm On Dec 12, 2020
shugabasbn:
They say change is a constant thing, if u cant keep on with evolution u will become natural obsolete. Till today I still respect China phones like Infinix n Tecno. Those guys keeping on changing like APC and Bandits
cheesy cheesy cheesy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2gb Free Data From Etisalat. / Top 5 Reason Why Tecno Is Still The Worst Android Phone Ever / How To Deactivate/delete 2go Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.