Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries (962 Views)

Tinubu Okays Release Of Four Months Withheld Lecturers’ Salaries / Ado-Ekiti Poly Rector Accused Of Investing N1Bn Lecturers Salaries In Bitcoin / FG Says No Approval On Location Of New 6 Colleges Of Education Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Ababbio: 11:49am On Dec 09, 2020
It is possible that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) may not end it ongoing strike, it embarked upon since March 23rd, soon as the minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, and the leadership of the union engaged in verbal war, Insidenaija reports.

According to The Nation reports, the minister on Tuesday, December 8, faulted claims of the ASUU president, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, who blamed the federal government for the union's failure to call off the strike.

Prof. Ogunyemi in a telephone conversation with the PUNCH insisted that the Union will not end its strike until the Federal Government paid lecturers withheld salary, adding that the government had failed to deliver on offers made to the union.

But in his reaction, Ngige said the federal government did not promise to pay striking ASUU members before they return to the classroom.

He said: “The truth of the matter is that a ‘gentleman agreement’ was reached at the last meeting in which ASUU agreed to call off the strike before December 9, 2020."

The minister stated that ASUU began a warning strike on March 9 and went into full-blown industrial action on the 23rd of the same month over the IPPIS payment platform.

Source: https://insidenaija.com.ng/ASUU-strike-may-not-end-soon-as-fg-says-no-promise-to-pay-lecturers-before-returning-to-class/

Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by CVhurb: 11:54am On Dec 09, 2020
FG should at least pity the students nah
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by YoonSung70: 11:59am On Dec 09, 2020
I thought they said they will call it off today
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by currentflow(m): 12:00pm On Dec 09, 2020
I have been saying it and I will say it again
ASUU members are not fighting for Nigerian students

How do u expect to get paid for work that u did not do
Nigeria Is a mess
So u get paid for going on strike now
What a pity

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ode human being....why did they pay those that joined IPPIS but were also not teaching?

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by sinkhole: 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2020
ejibaba:
Ode human being....why did they pay those that joined IPPIS but were also not teaching?
it is a gentleman's agreement, I join you pay me grin
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by ProphetM0hammad: 12:47pm On Dec 09, 2020
ejibaba:
Even those ones when last did they get paid?
FG still paid some, even those who didn't register on IPPIS till August which is a big mistake on the Government part.

For now, section 43 of the trade act dispute should be spelt out loudly for ASUU.
And should be made aware that starting from now till when they decide to go back to work, FG is not owing them any salary
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
ProphetM0hammad:

Even those ones when last did they get paid?
FG still paid some, even those who didn't register on IPPIS till August which is a big mistake on the Government part.

For now, section 43 of the trade act dispute should be spelt out loudly for ASUU.
And should be made aware that starting from now till when they decide to go back to work, FG is not owing them any salary
They were paid November salary....
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Vexedkid(m): 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
Gentleman agreement indeed. we the 11 boys of jabajanti are hereby issuing a warning to the Federal government and ASUU to call of this strike latest by the first week of January 2021 else the monkies and baboons will soak in blood.
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by nneka97224: 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
:Ode human being....why did they pay those that joined IPPIS but were also not teaching?it is a gentleman's agreement, I join you pay me

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by ProphetM0hammad: 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
ejibaba:

They were paid November salary....
But IPPIS or not is no longer part of the problem even though it's the sole reason for the strike.
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Michael33(m): 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
The fg children are abroad studying or in a private university here in Nigeria... So they don't care about you.

CVhurb:
FG should at least pity the students nah
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Michael33(m): 2:56pm On Dec 09, 2020
It's better to keep quiet when you don't have adequate Knowledge of what you're saying.
Most civil servants all around the world were paid, either strike or no strike, because of vivid 19. The non academic staff and few who enrolled on ippis were also paid up to date despite the fact that they're also at home doing no work. Why do you think other ASUU members shouldn't be paid?.

ASUU reached an agreement with the government and the fg have almost bridged it. All offers tabled were accepted by ASUU, but till now, none has materialized.

Just yesterday, we heard the minister saying ASUU should call off the strike first before waiting for their withheld salaries... Who does that?

currentflow:
I have been saying it and I will say it again
ASUU members are not fighting for Nigerian students

How do u expect to get paid for work that u did not do
Nigeria Is a mess
So u get paid for going on strike now
What a pity
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 09, 2020
ProphetM0hammad:

But IPPIS or not is no longer part of the problem even though it's the sole reason for the strike.

Oga, I don't even know where you belong. All I will say is this...If you support this government to destroy education, generation yet unborn will curse you in your grave.
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Insidenaija: 3:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
ejibaba:

Oga, I don't even know where you belong. All I will say is this...If you support this government to destroy education, generation yet unborn will curse you in your grave.

grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2020
They have been exempted from IPPIS now they want to be paid for work they did not do forcefully, ASUU own don dey too much?
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by ProphetM0hammad: 7:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
ejibaba:

That i don't agree with the way ASUU is going about the matter doesn't mean I'm on the Government side.
Both ASUU and FG are destroying education in their own various ways.

If ASUU get fully paid for the time they spent at home, then they won't hesitate to go on another strike next year knowing fully well that they have nothing to lose.
Re: ASUU: Strike May Not End Soon As FG Says, No Promise To Pay Lecturers Salaries by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
ProphetM0hammad:

That i don't agree with the way ASUU is going about the matter doesn't mean I'm on the Government side.
Both ASUU and FG are destroying education in their own various ways.

If ASUU get fully paid for the time they spent at home, then they won't hesitate to go on another strike next year knowing fully well that they have nothing to lose.

If government paid those who subscribed to IPPIS, is it not save to say government is punishing those who did not? Abi how else do you interpret such actions from government?

Government has no choice but to pay and if next year ASUU demands are not met, ASUU will go on strike again. The fight of ASUU dates back to the 70s. Just imagined ASUU didn't fight then, maybe your parent would not have been able to pay your school fees abroad or even in a private University in Nigeria. However, if you are from a rich home, think of those who are not and join ASUU to win this war against our wicked political class.

(1) (Reply)

Professor Ibiyemi Olatunji-bello And Two Others In The Race For LASU VC / See The Poor State Of A Community Primary School In Ilupeju Oja Odah, Ogun State / Become A Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.