Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,699 members, 7,805,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? (18437 Views)

Why Are So Many Young People Dying Of Heart Attacks? ( Video) / COVID-19: Can Nigeria And Nigerians Survive Extension Of Lock Down? / Outbreak Of A Viral Hemorrhagic Fever Hits Edo State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by breezeng: 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2020
The problem with our people in respect of this ailment is wrong religious belief and spiritual gaulibility.
Even the educated ones still go to churches to pray for the cure of hypertension. It's madness and when they eventually die, they will label it spiritual.
A lot of deceit.
God help us

1 Like

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by cococandy(f): 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2020
Awesome topic OP.

They're usually quick to label me a coward, pessimist or faithless person.
so true. They will tell you “God forbid. It’s not my portion in Jesus name”.
As if God hates all those who have been unfortunate to suffer from it in the past.

2 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
i predict MI by ST segment elevation or depression or abnormalities in Lead V1 like say in V1 the R wave is bigger than the Q wave. I also look at the R wave progression and expect it to turn positive at v3 and v4. I also look at PR interval if greater than 20mm , I also look at QRS wave complex if greater than 12 mm etc etc etc. I have about 20 protocols i follow. also inverted T wave or a biphasic p wave etc

with stroke obviously there will be a rhythm abberation and follow that with blood pressure monitoring as the pressure increases to compensate for the lack of efficiency due to a compromised artery ( blocked ) etc etc. The pumping pressure has to be compensated for during an abberation and so we do blood pressure monitoring with the ecg

You can't predict MI. You can only read an MI while it is happening or shortly after it has happened. This is due to ST elevation. 72 hours after an MI, you can't see the rhythm anymore on an EKG, hence a troponin serum test is carried out. So exactly how you want to PREDICT it is what baffles me. embarassed

As for the second paragraph you wrote, I have no idea what you're talking about. High blood pressure means a myriad of things.

Seems like you are a technician that got half-baked training on using an EKG and BP machine and are acting like a predictor of cardiac conditions.

My brother continue....

2 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:13pm On Dec 09, 2020
ALEX182:

I dunno what your archaic professor taught you in school, but yes MI is less fatal. I said it. Go and argue with your ancestors.

Professor!
cheesy
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2020
ALEX182:

You can't predict MI. You can only read an MI while it is happening or shortly after it has happened. This is due to ST elevation. 72 hours after an MI, you can't see the rhythm anymore on an EKG, hence a troponin serum test is carried out. So exactly how you want to PREDICT it is what baffles me. embarassed

As for the second paragraph you wrote, I have no idea what you're talking about. High blood pressure means a myriad of things.

Seems like you are a technician that got half-baked training on using an EKG and BP machine and are acting like a predictor of cardiac conditions.

My brother continue....

So you can't see Pathological Q waves after 72 hours?

...and Troponins are done after 72 hours?!

What the fook are you saying?
cheesy
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:15pm On Dec 09, 2020
ALEX182:

My brother continue....
if you are an expert in ECG yes you can by studying the R wave progression amongst a host of other things to look at. besides here we are talking about regular preventative testing which is what i am offering so i am not sure why you are veering off topic with your submission. My initial post says I can do checkups, REGULAR CHECKUPS. do you understand what that means ? I am medically trained in the USA. not university of ogbomoso like you
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2020
From what I observed, I think Heart attack survival rate is much higher than Hemorage strokes. That's how my uncle died, he was still in coma and nothing was done. They where running tests for 4 days till he died. But Vasoprin and Nitroglycerin has been saving people with heart attack if they have access to medical care or even reach the hospital on time. But cardiac arrest is a sure exit to the other side grin forget CPR and defibrillators cause we no get that one here. Las las one thing must kill a man, when your time reach ordinary headache will send you off planet earth, this country is already Hell.

5 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2020
ALEX182:

Hahahahaha. All these scammers grin grin

In other words you have an EKG machine which reads heart rhythms which highly fluctuate at different times of the day, yet you can predict risk for strokes?

Please tell me, how do you predict risk for strokes besides a highly elevated BP?

Are strokes only caused by High BP?
grin

If you have an irregular heart rate, you dont know it predisposes to Strokes?
grin

Professor!

1 Like

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
i predict MI by ST segment elevation or depression or abnormalities in Lead V1 like say in V1 the R wave is bigger than the Q wave. I also look at the R wave progression and expect it to turn positive at v3 and v4. I also look at PR interval if greater than 20mm , I also look at QRS wave complex if greater than 12 mm etc etc etc. I have about 20 protocols i follow. also inverted T wave or a biphasic p wave etc

with stroke obviously there will be a rhythm abberation and follow that with blood pressure monitoring as the pressure increases to compensate for the lack of efficiency due to a compromised artery ( blocked ) etc etc. The pumping pressure has to be compensated for during an abberation and so we do blood pressure monitoring with the ecg to determine stroke risk

But you sef bros, you are sounding like a Quack o!

Or lemme just ask... are you a Quack? cheesy
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

Are strokes only caused by High BP?
grin

If you have an irregular heart rate, you dont know it predisposes to Strokes?
grin

Professor!

Problem is that you Nigerians think you know anything about anything.

Let me help you.

Go back, read my comment. Read it again. Understand it completely, then you can reply.

Make sure you do the above
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
ALEX182:

Problem is that you Nigerians think you know anything about anything.

Let me help you.

Go back, read my comment. Read it again. Understand it completely, then you can reply.

Make sure you do the above

Mr Oga no dey talk wetin you no know!

The chances of survival of a hemorrhagic stroke depends on the size of the bleed, its not a death sentence!

Park well oga Professor!
grin
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

He is a quack grin
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

Mr Oga no dey talk wetin you no know!

The chances of survival of a hemorrhagic stroke depends on the size of the bleed, its not a death sentence!

Park well oga Professor!
grin

Ok. You are actually right.

I agree completely with you cheesy

Happy now?
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

USA trained. You cant relate because you are trained in osogbo. ii see your dream is to get a USA visa hence your name HBB1 visa. so i understand why you dont understand this high level of medicine that i am exposed to. you probably had no equipments in school at university of ogbomosho right ? grin grin
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
USA trained. You cant relate because you are trained in osogbo. ii see your dream is to get a USA visa hence your name HBB1 visa. so i understand why you dont understand this high level of medicine that i am exposed to. you probably had no equipments in school at university of ogbomosho right ? grin grin

US trained in what exactly?

You dont sound like a Doctor you know!
cheesy

The more you say high level of Medicine, the more Quackery you exhibit!
grin
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

cheesy
brother did you get the HBB1 visa or are you still stuck in osogbo? You are not familiar with the american medical program and its contents. just kiss the truth and move on with your life
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

cheesy

grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:41pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

cheesy

grin
I gotta start lecturing some of you guys on the american syllabus. Thats an NCBI article on R wave progression and MI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5497185/
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:41pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
brother did you get the HBB1 visa or are you still stuck in osogbo? You are not familiar with the american medical program and its contents. just kiss the truth and move on with your life

Haha.

HBB1 isn't visa related you know.
It's an acronym for a nickname.

And who says I am desperate for anything.

I live in the first world and work in an excellent setting.

Pray tell, what exactly did you train in the US as?
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
I gotta start lecturing some of you guys on the american syllabus. Thats an NCBI article on R wave progression and MI

Quack!
cheesy
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

Haha.

HBB1 isn't visa related you know.
It's an acronym for a nickname.

And who says I am desperate for anything.

I live in the first world and work in an excellent setting.

Pray tell, what exactly did you train in the US as?

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

Quack!
cheesy
Brah you sounding Jealous
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
ALEX182:

My brother continue....

1 Like

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:45pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:

What did you train as, oga?

Simple question.

You can't teach me ECGs you know...
Your ramblings are at best disjointed.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
Brah you sounding Jealous

Jealous?

Of what?

Your Quackery?

grin
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

Jealous?

Of what?

Your Quackery?

grin
jealous that i got all these expensive medical equipment and my own private practice cheesy

you will be sufficient dont worry.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

What did you train as, oga?

Simple question.

You can't teach me ECGs you know...
Your ramblings are at best disjointed.
brother move on with your life.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
dynicks:
Na only wealthy Nigerians fit experience that one.....or have u ever heard of a poor Nigerian that have died of either of those attacks before?.....the level of suffering a poor man suffers in this country pass heart attack still yet they survive it......abeg none of them get level for where street niggars dey.........That thing dey observe face/condition first before it attacks

stop pls poor people are also dying of cardiac arrest/ heart attack... whatsoever you call it

1 Like

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HBB1(m): 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
[/quote][quote author=lekki1444 post=96896326] jealous that i got all these expensive medical equipment and my own private practice cheesy

you will be sufficient dont worry.

What expensive equipment?
cheesy

Oga, what did you train as?
Simple question o!
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by cococandy(f): 2:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
I’m so sorry dear. E-hugs
itoroakban:
I'm logging into Nairaland for the first time in 3 years to reply to this post, because this one hits close to home, my mother had an hemorragic stroke in early September, and it's by the Grace of Google that she survived.

Mum's stroke occurred on the morning of September 6, she suddenly started complaining of intense headache, and for the first 10 minutes my younger sister and I were confused not knowing what to do. It was only after quickly googling for the cause of sudden intense headache that I saw that 'Thunderclap Headaches' were one of the major symptoms of Hemorragic Stroke.

We rushed her to a nearby hospital, where they checked her bp and found it was 190 over something (can't really remember the specific figure). She was in a coma for 3 days, then in a minimally conscious state for 2+ weeks where she was conscious but couldn't move any part of her body.

She started recovering in early October, and Physically she's now fully recovered, but memory wise, my heart breaks every day. The stroke led to my wonderful, funny, witty, joke-telling mother losing a major portion of her memories prior to the Stroke, and completely losing the ability to form new memories. She can cook, do things around the house, and hold a basic conversation, but whatever she does in the morning, she forgets by evening, and during the evenings her condition worsens. She wakes up after an afternoon nap thinking it's early in thr morning, brushes more than 4 times a day because she's forgotten that she has already brushed, and lots of other minor heart-wrenching issues.

And to be honest, all this is my fault. After mum was diagnosed of high blood pressure in 2018, I should have bought a bp checking machine for her to use in checking her bp every morning, so as to know whether or not to take a blood pressure reducing drug, but foolishly the thought never crossed my mind.

So I'm begging everyone who reads this, please and please, PLEASE, don't be as stupid as I was, if a loved one has high blood pressure, please either get a bp machine for her to check her blood pressure every morning and ask a pharmacist/doctor for bp medications she can be taking regularly, or at the very least take her to a nearby pharmacy every week to check her bp. If you're too busy, beg someone close to you to be doing it. Because if the loved one gets a Hemorragic stroke in Nigeria today, whether she recovers or not, you've lost her.

It's been more than 3 months, and I consider myself a very strong hearted person, but every 2 or 3 days, I look at mum, and I break down in tears.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lekki1444: 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
HBB1:

What expensive equipment?
cheesy

Oga, what did you train as?
Simple question o!
brah if i had a female picture on my profile i would say you are obsessed and stalking me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Who Returned From Niger Queue For HIV/AIDS Test (photo) / Health Workers "JOHESU" Calls Off Strike / Index Case Of Strange Disease In Kano Drank Water Near A Cemetery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.