Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update (11691 Views)

20w50 Oil For 2000 Camry / Sharp Used 2003 Honda Accord V4 (eod) - 850k / SOLD! Registered 2003 Honda Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 5:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
This is why am against the use of 20w50 oil . Regardless if you do oil change every 2k miles........

Update on my sludge Honda Civic... I spoke early how I collected my Honda 03 from old driver. The new driver notice that the car has some sludge . And liqui Moly Engine Flush was recommended ...
The car was taken to a mechanic few days ago for the flush . Instructions were followed on how to use the flush..

After the procedure was completed, I told the driver to open up the engine valve cover, to see if the engine flush worked well...... To our surprise the sludge was too much for the engine flush to work.. This sludge has pass beyond engine flush solution.

Solution.. The solution for now , will continue using full synethtic oil and flush the engine each time we do oil change. So hopefully that way the sludge can come out gradually. The shape and body of the car is still in good shape . And I hope to continue using it for at least for another 12months or so ..
The currant cost of the engine is 120k naira , if worse comes to worse I will replace the engine. Honda civics parts are easy and cheap to maintain.

Reason For the Sludge . From day 1 the car has been using full synethtic oil . My late mechanic does the oil change. The driver comes to the house collects the oil and drives down to ladipo to have mechanic do oil change..
The mechanic is late now, he can't defend himself, no point to be pointing fingers .. But full synethtic oil does not cause sludge in your engine. The most that will happen is the oil becomes very black or gets more darker over time...

For the safety of your engine do not use 20w50 especially if your car is tokunbo, especially if it is not in the owners manual..

All that bull crap that change oil every 2k miles if you use 20w50 . It is waste of time , do you have the time to be keeping track of the miles till it reaches 2k miles . And also if you are changing your oil you need to change the oil filter . To save your wallet and peace of mind use full synethtic oil at all times. It will give you peace of mind ...

Conclusion... becareful who you trust with your hard earn money. When buying parts for your cars, make sure you are physically present when mechanic is working on the car.
Do not leave your car with them and come back days later to collect your car .. Have heard stories catalyst converter been removed and other parts when vechicle left with mechanic.. Do not leave your car over nite with mechanic..

Any potential investors , should fall back for now.. In order for you to learn this business, you have to be ready to lose money.. If you are not ready to lose money ,my advice stay away. This business is not for the faint of heart.......

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 6:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
So its the viscosity that causes the sludge?

Where is the origin of the base oil used in blending the product? Is is Russian, SN grades or American Core?

What additives were used? Lubimax, Lubrizol or UAE origin?

Have you asked yourself these questions? None of our staff I'm sure of uses your so called synthetic and none of our engines have failed. I got my Camry in 2016 and till date, apart from the suspension systems which I normally work on when it gets noisy...4 yrs down the line and the car is still like tokunbo on all aspects.

Be specific when mentioning 20W50.. the Blenders, Origin of Base Oil and Additives are very important.

5 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 6:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
ascendo:
So its the viscosity that causes the sludge?

Where is the origin of the base oil used in blending the product? Is is Russian, SN grades or American Core?

What additives were used? Lubimax, Lubrizol or UAE origin?

Have you asked yourself these questions? None of our staff I'm sure of uses your so called synthetic and none of our engines have failed. I got my Camry in 2016 and till date, apart from the suspension systems which I normally work on when it gets noisy...4 yrs down the line and the car is still like tokunbo on all aspects.

Be specific when mentioning 20W50.. the Blenders, Origin of Base Oil and Additives are very important.

Unfortunately people don't read including you. .. 20w50 oil is not the recommended oil 2016 .. You are killing the engine gradually.....

When a manufacturer builds a car , it is build to last a certain amount of years or miles, if owners follows the maintenance rule.. When was the last time you open your engine valve cover to check for sludge. And do you use coolant or water. You can't tell me you know better than the manufacture.

If you read and understand what I wrote, you will understand that am implying that either mechanic or driver sold the full synthetic I gave them for mineral oil. Or even fake one.. The value of Mobil 1 oil is over 18k naira. For you to be using 20w50 on a 2016 on a camry is very bad. I even doubt you even have a 2016 camry self .

PS. Kindly open up your 2016 camry engine valve cover. You are killing that engine with 20w50..... Smh

12 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 6:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
I read! Ok? I don't just read, I research... leave matter for Matthias, and research about what causes sludge.

Then come back let's discuss.

Let me emphasize again that most issues we experience here in Nigeria with 20W50 can never be from Total Lubes, Oluem, Mobil lubes, Eterna Lubes etc with standard Blending Facility and ISO Certifications.

You might not understand this till you're in the same field as these.

Why is TPEO 40 for example not failing in Marine Engines?
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
dru23:

Unfortunately people don't read including you. .. 20w50 oil is not the recommended oil 2016 .. You are killing the engine gradually.....

When a manufacturer builds a car , it is build to last a certain amount of years or miles, if owners follows the maintenance rule.. When was the last time you open your engine valve cover to check for sludge. And do you use coolant or water. You can't tell me you know better than the manufacture.

If you read and understand what I wrote, you will understand that am implying that either mechanic or driver sold the full synthetic I gave them for mineral oil. Or even fake one.. The value of Mobil 1 oil is over 18k naira. For you to be using 20w50 on a 2016 on a camry is very bad. I even doubt you even have a 2016 camry self .

PS. Kindly open up your 2016 camry engine valve cover. You are killing that engine with 20w50..... Smh

I'm not killing any engine, you can kill yours if you wish to
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 11:15pm On Dec 09, 2020
ascendo post=96903404I read! Ok? I don't just read, I research... [/b:
leave matter for Matthias, and research about what causes sludge.

Then come back let's discuss.

Let me emphasize again that most issues we experience here in Nigeria with 20W50 can never be from Total Lubes, Oluem, Mobil lubes, Eterna Lubes etc with standard Blending Facility and ISO Certifications.

You might not understand this till you're in the same field as these.

Why is TPEO 40 for example not failing in Marine Engines?
U said you research Abi. And u said you use 20w50 for your 2016 Toyota Camry Abi ... reccomend oil is 0w20 for all weather conditions or tempt.. For extreme load ,which I can't imagine what type extreme job car is doing.. You can use high grade oil ,than you use 0w40 ,but 20w50 it is a no no ........

You can't not know better than the engineers that build the engine. Because if you do , it means you can build ur own engine from the scratch...... Using 20w50 is over working the oil pump of the car .. You killing the engine gradually

I tell customers at all times to follow owners manual at all times.... Am done having this discussion with you .... No mo talk

8 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dicksonadams(m): 11:24pm On Dec 09, 2020
ascendo:

I'm not killing any engine, you can kill yours if you wish to

Lolzzzzz grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 12:18am On Dec 10, 2020
dru23:

U said you research Abi. And u said you use 20w50 for your 2016 Toyota Camry Abi ... reccomend oil is 0w20 for all weather conditions or tempt.. For extreme load ,which I can't imagine what type extreme job car is doing.. You can use high grade oil ,than you use 0w40 ,but 20w50 it is a no no ........

You can't not know better than the engineers that build the engine. Because if you do , it means you can build ur own engine from the scratch...... Using 20w50 is over working the oil pump of the car .. You killing the engine gradually

I tell customers at all times to follow owners manual at all times.... Am done having this discussion with you .... No mo talk

Oga you didnt buy the car for me, stop showing me manuals of cars made in US. Don't worry, I'm fine.

But stop painting 20W50 bad. The limitation mineral oil Lube has as against synthetic is OXIDATION... get this fact.

The other day I saw when NNPC lubes were painted bad... I wish Abdulrahman saw your post that day... you know more that that prof that handled that project

SMH
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 12:19am On Dec 10, 2020
ascendo:

Oga you didnt buy the car for me, stop showing me manuals of cars made in US. Don't worry, I'm fine.

But stop painting 20W50 bad. The limitation mineral oil Lube has as against synthetic is OXIDATION... get this fact.

The other day I saw when NNPC lubes were painted bad... I wish Abdulrahman saw your post that day... you know more that that prof that handled that project

SMH

Further more, most API SL are made with anti sludge additives
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 12:24am On Dec 10, 2020
ascendo:

I wonder why you pick the viscosity range of multi grade oil and forget the API classification.

If you use 5W30 API-SF, do you know what it means?

NNPC Rhino Diamond is SM...yet 20W50
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by Stanleyallen17(m): 7:00pm On Dec 16, 2020
ascendo:

Please can you show us a 20w-50 engine oil with API SL and ILSAC GF-5.

4 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2020
Stanleyallen17:

Please can you show us a 20w-50 engine oil with API SL and ILSAC GF-5.

These are either SL or SM

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 9:50pm On Dec 16, 2020
ascendo:

Bros, whether na SL, or FBI, or SM I no want, I no fit use 20w50 oil or sell am ..

Car engines are getting more advance now, and thinner multi graded oil will be common now..... Owners should read their owners manual at all times .... You didn't design these engines , let the manufacture of the cars do their jobs.. Plz Bros, I beg u o ......anything made in Nigeria I no get confidence in it ....let the matter down ,and stop posting 20w50 on my post....

Go and confuse or continuing to confuse your followers.. I beg bros......

3 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 11:03pm On Dec 16, 2020
dru23:

Bros, whether na SL, or FBI, or SM I no want, I no fit use 20w50 oil or sell am ..

Car engines are getting more advance now, and thinner multi graded oil will be common now..... Owners should read their owners manual at all times .... You didn't design these engines , let the manufacture of the cars do their jobs.. Plz Bros, I beg u o ......anything made in Nigeria I no get confidence in it ....let the matter down ,and stop posting 20w50 on my post....

Go and confuse or continuing to confuse your followers.. I beg bros......

You no get confidence with anything made in Naija? That's the basis of your post.

I get confidence in some items made in Naija. Naija's manufacturing sector is not useless.

You are the confusionist here.

I quite agree with the fact that the engine orifices for oil passage are getting smaller. How many centistoke is the viscosity range of 20W50? What's that of 0W20 or 5W30 or 5W40?

Remember that oil recommendations for some of these cars that are built in 2000s to 2007s are 5W30 SF.

If you mention Society of Automobile Engineering (SAE), dont rubbish American Petroleum Institute (API)

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 11:21pm On Dec 16, 2020
ascendo:

You no get confidence with anything made in Naija? That's the basis of your post.

I get confidence in some items made in Naija. Naija's manufacturing sector is not useless

I quite agree with the fact that the engine orifices for oil passage are getting smaller. How many centistoke is the viscosity range of 20W50? What's that of 0W20 or 5W30 or 5W40?

Remember that oil recommendations for some of these cars that are built in 2000s to 2007s are 5W30 SF.

If you mention Society of Automobile Engineering (SAE), dont rubbish American Petroleum Institute (API)

I try to be objective as much as possible.. Majority of things produce or manufacture in Nigeria will not meet international standard .. Facts.. The checks and balance that are put in balance do not function fully ,due to corruptions and other factors.. Look at the Health care system as an example..... Even Nigerian themselves including government officials will not buy made in Nigeria cars...... Agriculture products meant for export get turn away cause they didnt meet the criteria.. That is why so many of those things are stuck at the port now as we speak .........

I am not confuse ,I just deal with reality.. And Nigeria as a whole or even Africa lacks maintenance culture etc, we can go on and on .. Another example palm oil that I even used for cooking , we bring it in from the Village for obvious reasons.... ..

The reason explain above is why I import most items that I used for business and personal ..... I love the fact that Nigerian agricultural produce are 100% organic, more organic that overseas ..that am proud of ..

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dicksonadams(m): 3:11am On Dec 17, 2020
ascendo:

I get confidence in some items made in Naija. Naija's manufacturing sector is not useless.

Lolzzz grin
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 5:17am On Dec 17, 2020
dicksonadams:

Lolzzz grin

The guy is confuse ,all these made in naija oil , who is actually certifying them to meet standard or even international standard... There are more fake oil been produced as must as naija made oil smh .... The guy na troll ,if he believes in so much in naija he should go and buy Innoson motor ......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by Stanleyallen17(m): 8:20am On Dec 20, 2020
ascendo:

But non of them have ILSAC GF-5 written on it.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 11:20am On Dec 20, 2020
Stanleyallen17:

ILSAC GF-5 are exclusively for full synthetic blends. 20W50 SM is not a synthetic blend.

Well, in more details ILSAC shows that it has Energy Conserving Requirements.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by Stanleyallen17(m): 4:33pm On Dec 20, 2020
ascendo:

ILSAC GF-5 are exclusively for full synthetic blends. 20W50 SM is not a synthetic blend.

Well, in more details ILSAC shows that it has Energy Conserving Requirements.

That's means 20w50 cant be used on any car.
I pity people who dont read their car manual.

3 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 5:02pm On Dec 20, 2020
Stanleyallen17:

That's means 20w50 cant be used on any car.
I pity people who dont read their car manual.

Ok. I'm done with this argument
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by radautoworks: 5:31pm On Dec 20, 2020
I see I'm not needed here grin
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2020
We agreed that Mobil is good, Castrol is good and all the likes.

If 20W50 is bad, why do Mobil and Castrol produce them?
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 8:30pm On Dec 20, 2020
ascendo:

In the USA it is not very common away for Mobil 1 or Castrol or any brand to produce.. Most car manufactures are adapting to thinner multi purpose grade oil like 0w20. 20w50 are mostly used for industrial machine, heavy duty machine that uses diesel
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 8:34pm On Dec 20, 2020
radautoworks:
I see I'm not needed here grin

We dey try small small o .....2021 is around the corner. Time to stop talking about certain topics .. Oil will be 1 of them and uber recommended cars like civic... it is getting repetitive for me .. Time to focus on sales and other important things... I think have tried enough......

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 8:37pm On Dec 20, 2020
Stanleyallen17:

Those Nigerian oil are of low quality ......20w50 might be ok for industrial machines.. Bottom line people should just read owners manual at all times .....

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dicksonadams(m): 8:43pm On Dec 20, 2020
ascendo:

Hmmmm
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by radautoworks: 8:48pm On Dec 20, 2020
dicksonadams:

Hmmmm

People know how to miss target ehn? 20w50 is still made because it is for some OLDER cars. That's like saying why do they make ferrari when there is Corolla undecided
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 10:07pm On Dec 20, 2020
dru23:

In the USA it is not very common away for Mobil 1 or Castrol or any brand to produce.. Most car manufactures are adapting to thinner multi purpose grade oil like 0w20. 20w50 are mostly used for industrial machine, heavy duty machine that uses diesel

Industrial machines like?

Be it as it may, I'm not based in the USA where you mentioned.

Remember that Vecton 15W40 exists for diesel engines and its synthetic blend
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GforGee: 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2020
ascendo:

Industrial machines like?

Be it as it may, I'm not based in the USA where you mentioned.

Remember that Vecton 15W40 exists for diesel engines and its synthetic blend

Hi, please what's your car make/model and what does the manufacturer say about the engine oil?
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ascendo(m): 3:06pm On Dec 22, 2020
GforGee:

Hi, please what's your car make/model and what does the manufacturer say about the engine oil?

For my car, Hyundai Tucson 2020 model, for my temperature range...0-50 degrees Celsius, the manufacturer recommends 20W50

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Volkswagen Sharon-mini Van(tokunbo) For Sale / Tokunbo Golf 3 For Quick Grab: Now In Lagos: (price reduced 400,000) / Took 2007 Honda Civic Hybride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.